The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hall of Fame round 5

+2
guildfordbat
Adam D
6 posters

Go down

Vote for your favourite 2

Hall of Fame round 5 Vote_lcap43%Hall of Fame round 5 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 20 ]
Hall of Fame round 5 Vote_lcap45%Hall of Fame round 5 Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 21 ]
Hall of Fame round 5 Vote_lcap6%Hall of Fame round 5 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]
Hall of Fame round 5 Vote_lcap6%Hall of Fame round 5 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 47

Hall of Fame round 5 Empty Hall of Fame round 5

Post by Adam D Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:59 pm

The second round of the Hall of Fame is now closed with both The Hustler and Ali joining the The Fighter and Cool Runnings in the quarter finals.

Remember that Rounds 4 and 3 are still open to vote in (Round 3 closes on Friday)

https://www.606v2.com/t52943-hall-of-fame-round-4

https://www.606v2.com/t52911-hall-of-fame-round-3

This round brings together one of the most iconic boxing films of all time, against a hugely regarded film about basketball, the world of bodybuilding and a British institution. This round is Stallone vs Arnie!

Remember, you can vote for your favourite two.and the top 2 go through to the quarters. If you want to offer up a review of the film you are picking, I will be more than happy to include it here (and future rounds should it qualify).

Escape to victory
Raging Bull
Hoosiers
Pumping Iron

This rounds nomination comes from Rowley (again!) - please feel free to champion any of the other films on this list by posting them below.

Raging Bull

Raging Bull marked the fourth time Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro had worked together and tells the story of former middleweight champion of the world Jake La Motta. As well as being a former world champion (in a time when that actually meant something) Jake holds the distinction of being the first person, as either an amateur or professional to hold a win over the peerless Sugar Ray Robinson.

Whilst Jake was a decent fighter his life outside the ring was every bit as interesting. He spent his early years in reform school and learned to fight whilst in there. When he turned pro he found himself trying to make his way in a game riddled with corruption and the mob’s influence being seemingly everywhere. As those familiar with Scorsese’s work would expect this is a major feature of the film, with Jake forced to throw a fight to secure the world title shot his talent warrants.

Based on the book by lifelong friend of LaMotta, Pete Savage, Raging Bull is so much more than a boxing film, LaMotta is riddled with inner demons and barely suppressed rage and whilst this makes him relentless once in the ring it ensures he is no picnic to be around when outside of it. De Niro does a masterful job in his portrayal of LaMotta, he infamously gained 70lb to play the ageing Jake. This was a view supported by the Academy who awarded him the best actor award for his stunning performance. Although in one of their less glorious moments they overlooked Scorsese for the best director award.

The film is shot, predominantly, in black and white and this gives the film an atmosphere that fits the era portrayed brilliantly well. Add into that brilliant supporting performances from Scorsese regular Joe Pesci and the, at the time, 19 year old Cathy Moriati and Raging Bull stands the test of time as not only one of the greatest sports films of all time but a genuine landmark piece of cinema and an all time classic. With the greatest of respect to many of the other nominees in this process I am not sure the same can be said of them.

As an aside Jake LaMotta, at the time of writing, is still alive, and has the distinction of being the oldest living former World Boxing champion, currently being well into his 90s.

Last edited by Adam D on Sun May 04, 2014 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Hall of Fame round 5 Empty Re: Hall of Fame round 5

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Sorry, Jeff. Have to put our usual mutual film snobbery aside and go for Escape to Victory. Bobby Moore, Pele, Mike Summerbee and Michael Caine - what a team! Oh, and with Stallone in goal - what's not to like? Most of all though it was a film adored by my favourite uncle (himself, an ex footballer). Family trumps even a masterpiece!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Raging Bull and Hoosiers for me, DeNiro and Hackman at their best.

And there's another thing - doesn't Mike Summerbee's election to the Football League HOF undermine any remaining credibility in that institution?
Love Summerbee but almost threw up when I saw news of his induction. Not even the best of that area's Swindon Youth Teams.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:40 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Raging Bull and Hoosiers for me, DeNiro and Hackman at their best.

And there's another thing - doesn't Mike Summerbee's election to the Football League HOF undermine any remaining credibility in that institution?
Love Summerbee but almost threw up when I saw news of his induction. Not even the best of that area's Swindon Youth Teams.

Oh no! Looks like a spectacular own goal by me! Playing the Summerbee card was meant to attract votes from the more mature posters! Where's Fourth Lion when you need him?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:48 pm

!!!!
Always liked Summerbee - described once by Franny Lee as having a "retaliate first" approach to anything with niggle potential.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:33 pm

easy one for me this and probably the only great film in this competition so far and its raging bull

never seen what all the fuss was about with escape to victory, although never really watched it properly when i was a kid and re-watching it now it doesn't hold the same nostalgic reward to me than it might in others

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:34 pm

let me guess, the one vote for pumping iron was truss?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Going with Raging Bull and Pumping Iron - in the words of Arnie - "So can you believe how
much I am in heaven? I am like getting the feeling
of cumming in the gym; I’m getting the feeling of
cumming at home; I’m getting the feeling of
cumming backstage; when I pump up, when I pose
out in front of 5000 people I get the same feeling, so
I am cumming day and night. It’s terrific, right? So
you know, I am in heaven.”
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 am

Raging Bull and Hoosiers.

I seem to remember that Hoosiers was called "Best Shot" when it was originally released in the UK. Great performance from Hackman (as usual - he is one of the most underrated actors around) and a great comeback performance from Hopper after some time spent in the wilderness.

Raging Bull is one of the geat films of all time, not just geat sports films. The fact that it lost out in the Best Film category to Ordinary People almost completely destroys the credibility of the Oscars.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down