The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frank Warrens nightmare night and James Degale

5 posters

Go down

Frank Warrens nightmare night and James Degale Empty Frank Warrens nightmare night and James Degale

Post by Liam_Main Sun 22 May 2011, 1:12 am

It wasn't best of nights for old fish eyes tonight as his big prospect James Degale loses by a close points decision to George Groves. I personally had Degale winning by a round but it could of went either way. This fight could help Degale bring him back down to earth and realise he's not the perfect fighter he thought he was. Or this type of loss could shatter his confidence and go the same route as Fraudley but I don't see that happening though as Degale is a very talented fighter and I think he can still win world titles and have a rematch with Groves at world level. I'll take nothing aways from Groves though he stuck too the game plan well and his head and feat movement were excellent. Frank Warren pretty much summed it up in the interview it was Degales fight too win he should of used his uppercut more and threw more combinations to put Groves under pressure. I think a rematch in a few years when both fighters are improved and worked on their flaws will be a even better fight than the first. Where does Degale and Warren go from here?

Also on the card was Billy Jo-Saunders who was the star performer of the night eye catching 2nd round stoppage of Kevin Hammond. Now it's time for a big step up in class to see how good he really is. Frankie Gavin was less than impressive tonight with a points win over Young Mutley. It was a comfortable points win but there wasn't much aggression from him,not enough combinations and most of the way through the fight looked very dimensional only using the jab and the straight left. Mutley was just a sitting duck and barely threw much back. Gavin has alot more too improve on than I thought and on this night against a better opponent he would of been beaten. I may be being a bit harsh as it looked like he may of had a cold or another illness but I would still expect more than what he produced. Nathan Cleverly was up next and did alright in winning by a 4th round TKO stopped on cuts. Cleverly looked very impressive in the 2nd but was caught with hard shots in the 3rd. His defense and guard was poor and head movement wasn't much better. If he's going too cut it at the top level he's going too have not leave himself open so many times like he did in this fight.

Overall a nightmare night for Frank Warren and it looks like his top prospects arn't as good as once seemed. And have ALOT too improve on if there gonna be stars.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Frank Warrens nightmare night and James Degale Empty Re: Frank Warrens nightmare night and James Degale

Post by callan Sun 22 May 2011, 3:32 am

Hi. It was a good fight tonight and hats off to both Degale and Groves. I hope they have a rematch but later in there careers. Credit to Groves who boxed to perfect instruction something that not many in boxing world thought he was able to do. Booth is proving a very very good trainer who studys the game well. Both can win world titles in future and it be then that they should look at a rematch. At moment i think there may be a few changes in Degale camp after listening to Frank Warren who hoped the 'back slappers' would now leave, sounds like to many hangers on in the camp.
callan
callan

Back to top Go down

Frank Warrens nightmare night and James Degale Empty Re: Frank Warrens nightmare night and James Degale

Post by beastfromthesoutheast Sun 22 May 2011, 9:54 am

So glad that Degale lost, to call that guy stupid would be an insult to stupid people. Hopefully it's knocked him down a peg

beastfromthesoutheast

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 22 May 2011, 10:06 am

Well last time degale lost to groves despite being a huge favourite he went on to win gold at the Olympics. He will bounce back. It wasn't a lopsided decision loss. He lost by one point on two scorecards and drew the other. The majority of viewers had it as a draw. It was anyone's guess who was going to win that. He has good enough skills but if he had a better plan(pressure quicker) than he could have one convincingly.

Frankie Gavin had a lame performance. Every young gun deserves one. He was close to pulling out with illness so that may explain it. Mutley was suppose to be the aggressor but was looking for the big left hook. Gavin was tentative as he didn't want to get caught and risk his potential future with a huge setback. He got 12 rounds under his belt and has a platform to work on.

Billy Joe is a guy I really rate. He is very heavy handed, quick, accurate and throws good combinations. He took a guy who has never been stopped in two with crippling body shots. He threw 110 punches and didn't seem to affect him much. Although the guy was a punching bag he wasnt able to throw anything as Billy caught him cleanly whenever he went to throw his own shots. A promising prospect but should start stepping it up.

Nathan did well imo. He has a very entertaining style which makes him a good draw. He has received criticism for taking this opponent and many thought it was no longer PPV worthy. I think Nathan knew this so tried to justify the price tag. He for caught cleany and with a bigger puncher he may get taken out despite clev possessing a great chin. If he wants he seems like the type who could box behind the jab against dangerous opponents.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 May 2011, 9:22 pm

Billy Joe looks a very decent prospect. Lets hope his hand problems are sorted. But I seriously wish they put him with someone other than human punchbags. He really cant be learning much is all his opponents go on strike.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down