The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The biggest financial flops of alltime..

+11
westisbest
compelling and rich
jimmyinthewell68
Shot 21 LCFC
guildfordbat
superflyweight
Brys
kingraf
Galted
The Womble
TRUSSMAN66
15 posters

Go down

The biggest financial flops of alltime.. Empty The biggest financial flops of alltime..

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:49 am

1. John Carter ....160m
2. Mars needs Moms.111m
3. Sahara..........105m
4. The lone ranger.94m
5. 13th Warrior....90m
6. Waterworld......89m

I've only seen Waterworld so that might explain some of it..

Think we know why Hollywood plays it safe with superhero movies..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

The biggest financial flops of alltime.. Empty Re: The biggest financial flops of alltime..

Post by The Womble Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:57 am

I remember watching Waterworld in Media Studies at school. We had to do a essay on it. My word it was cack, awful film. I haven't seen the others.

Wasn't Cutthroat Island with Geena Davis one of the biggest flops as well? I remember that being pretty shocking as well.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

The biggest financial flops of alltime.. Empty Re: The biggest financial flops of alltime..

Post by Galted Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 am

I thought it was only in the States that Waterworld flopped and that it recouped its budget overseas.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:31 am

Cut throat Island shows what happens when your knob does the thinking and you devise a vehicle for your Wife.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:35 am

Galted wrote:I thought it was only in the States that Waterworld flopped and that it recouped its budget overseas.

It did flop big style in the States. It did better overseas, however the cinemas do retain a large chunk of the revenue so it still did badly. Eventually it did break even due to video/dvd sales and TV money.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 am

Costner thinking he could pardon the pun...Walk on water..

Like Murphy with Harlem nights..

Caught up in their own hype..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:06 am

I thought john Carter was better than it was given credit for.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:08 am

Has anyone seen Heaven's Gate? That is a pretty bad film. I think it's one of (if not the first) Willem Dafoe's first films. I bet he thought his career had started well.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15 am

Speed 2 is Dafoe's biggest turkey..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:28 am

A lot of films get labeled flops even before they see an Internaitonal audience and are then stuck with the moniker from then on regardless. This being down to a poor showing on its American release even if it rallys in International waters, the Broderick Godzilla film being a prime example.

The sad thing is I've seen a lot worse movies than those on the list above (13th Warrior being a guilty fav of mine). Box Office flop doesn't always equate to a bad movie. Smile

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 pm

Very true ...The awful Amityville 2 The possession reached number 1 in the USA and that was hammered by the critics...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:10 pm

3. Sahara..........105m
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hark...I hear the sound of Matthew McConnahey laughing.

Didn't Michael Caine do a film called "Ishtar" with Dustin Hoffman than also had Caine's wife in it that was a bigger flop than Lisa Riley from the 10m board?

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:16 pm

DAVE667 wrote:3. Sahara..........105m
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hark...I hear the sound of Matthew McConnahey laughing.

Didn't Michael Caine do a film called "Ishtar" with Dustin Hoffman than also had Caine's wife in it that was a bigger flop than Lisa Riley from the 10m board?

Think it was Warren Beatty that was in Ishtar. It's terrible!

Cutthroat Island is an example of what happens when you let a talentless hack like Renee Harlen anywhere near a film.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Wonderful quote from Lew Grade as to how the costs of producing Raise the Titanic spiralled out of control -
''It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic.''

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Ishtar was a terrible flop as a % of returns against its production costs, especially for the time it was made. An example would Sahara which took about 38% of its production cost, Cutthroat Island took around 9% and Ishtar while better managed only 12%.

In overall monetry losses the three are pretty close when you adjust IShtar for inflation. Smile

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Wow, never even heard of number 2. Guess that was a flop!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:01 pm

i liked water world  Cool there i said it .i liked john carter too the lone ranger and 13th warrior but there are types of films you rather get a pirate copy then go to the cinema . i ll be going to the pictures to watch the New captain America film but i won't with the non stop film but dare say i like both

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 pm

ive just looked at what the highest costing films are to give me a idea and few jumped out at me straight away

1- pirates of the Caribbean- at worlds end
3-spider man 3
16- battleship- havent even seen it but from the advert alone i can see its a pile of rubbish and its the 16th most expensive film of all time

man of steel is 8 which i thought was a pile of turd but nowhere near as bad as it predecessor superman returns that came in 18th

some of them may have done well at the cinemas, but i thought all the ones mentioned were rubbish

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:24 pm

compelling and rich wrote:ive just looked at what the highest costing films are to give me a idea and few jumped out at me straight away

1- pirates of the Caribbean- at worlds end
3-spider man 3
16- battleship- havent even seen it but from the advert alone i can see its a pile of rubbish and its the 16th most expensive film of all time

man of steel is 8 which i thought was a pile of turd but nowhere near as bad as it predecessor superman returns that came in 18th

some of them may have done well at the cinemas, but i thought all the ones mentioned were rubbish

Funny thing is from the films you mentioned Spider3 and PotC:WE were massive box office hits and Man of Steel was certainly a hit if not in the same sphere as the other two. Superman returns did enough to warrent a sequel if it hadn't already been an established franchise and made some money. Only really Battleship could be considered a flop as it lost around $50m even then it still made around 75% of its production cost when you compare to some of the other flops discussed puts its failure into perspective. Smile

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:04 pm

Battleship would have made a profit if they hadn't decide to pay Rhianna a shed load of money and just got in an equally average but relatively unknown black actress to play the same role and say the same six lines.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:33 am

I only watched battleship in the hope that at some point Rihanna got wet.... Can't think any of any other reason anyone would watch it... I think they'd have grossed much less had they used a lesser lady...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:53 am

Can't get turned on by a Woman that smokes cigars....Kingy

I told my Wife this the other day in the car and she told me to.."Shut up and drive"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:15 am

Thats no way to tereat a woman Truss. You need to make her feel like shes the only girl in the world...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:24 am

kingraf wrote:I only watched battleship in the hope that  at some point Rihanna got wet.... Can't think any of any other reason anyone would watch it... I think they'd have grossed much less had they used a lesser lady...

Brooklyn Decker. Very Happy 

Much better looking than Rihanna(dont find her attractive at all).

Was'nt a great film.

Did like Sahara.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:50 am

Mars needs moms apparently lost $130 million - making it a huge flop. God knows how an 88 minute animated film cost $150 million dollars to make though.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:40 am

read about heavens gate . they nearly sacked the director a few times for being over budget and the films 219 minute running time  . Michael cinimo also  directed  the deer hunter

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:52 am

Hasn't anything by M. Night Shyalaman also flopped. Barring The Sixth Sense.

The Last Airbender was apparently one of the worst films ever, and it wasn't cheap.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Waterworld didn't fail in total as it is a huge attraction at Universal Studio's. I'm sure it's made plenty of money that way since.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Hudson Hawk was a bit of a turkey. Thankfully I have never seen it...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Me neither.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:03 am

i watched Hudson hawk . lets just say it was over the top . youtube swinging on the star part in hudson hawk and you get the jist of the film

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:27 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:i watched Hudson hawk . lets just say it was over the top . youtube  swinging on the star part in hudson hawk and you get the jist of the film

Willis was in the ascendancy like Murphy before Harlem nights...............A so-so plot with lot's of one liners and everyone will love it etc etc..

Willis like Murphy found out.... realised you can't take the public for granted......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down