The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winnipeg mayor: Thrashers coming

+2
calamity jane
Enforcer
6 posters

Go down

Winnipeg mayor: Thrashers coming Empty Winnipeg mayor: Thrashers coming

Post by Enforcer Fri 20 May 2011, 11:29 pm

WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- Winnipeg's mayor says it's just "a matter of time" before a deal to move the Atlanta Thrashers to his city is finalized and announced.

Mayor Sam Katz says Friday the deal to bring an NHL team back to Winnipeg is going to happen, though nothing is signed and sealed yet.

Katz says he's been in touch with Winnipeg's True North Sports and Entertainment, the company negotiating the sale, and has been told there is nothing official -- yet.

True North Sports and Entertainment has been negotiating with Thrashers ownership about moving the team north of the border. Despite a report Thursday night that a deal is done, both the NHL and True North have said nothing has been decided.

"I do believe this will happen and it's long overdue," Katz said. "The Jets never should have left here. . . . After 15 years, we'll all be ecstatic to have them back. There is no doubt that the fan base is there. The corporate support is there."

The Winnipeg Jets moved to Phoenix in 1996. Since then, Winnipeg has built a new arena -- the 15,500-seat MTS Centre -- and has argued it can support an NHL franchise once again.

"I think Tuesday could be an interesting day," said Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger told reporters. "I think we should all keep our powder dry and see how it goes. But the reality is that until the deal is done, nobody is making any comments. We've always taken a prudent approach on this and anything that is finalized, you'll be among the first to know."

There has been criticism that the arena isn't big enough for the NHL; the AHL's Manitoba Moose is the current pro hockey tenant. Hall of Famer Dale Hawerchuk, considered one of the greatest Jets players, doesn't agree.

"People think it's small, but I think it's great," said Hawerchuk. "To me, you should be sold out, you should have a waiting list for season tickets and you've created a demand."

Former Jets defenseman Dave Manson said he " couldn't be happier for the city of Winnipeg."

"I was actually part of the move with the Jets to Phoenix and I felt very sorry for Winnipeg," Manson added. "I was fortunate to play in a few Canadian cities and it was tough being a part of that, to watch a team move from Canada to the States."

Despite all the talk of an impending move, Thrashers' fans planned a possible last-ditch effort to show support for the NHL team.

A rally was scheduled for Saturday outside Philips Arena in conjunction with a select-a-seat event for current and prospective season-ticket holders, scheduled to go on as planned despite the franchise's cloudy future.

There was no way of knowing if a strong turnout would have any impact on reported negotiations, though NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said on his weekly radio show that "it will be interesting to see how many people show up."

A Facebook page named "Keep the Thrashers in Atlanta" urged fans to turned up at the noontime rally, which will be held in a gritty parking area known as "The Gulch."

"Bring everyone you know! Even if they just want to party with people! We need a HUGE crowd! KEEP OUR THRASHERS IN ATLANTA!!" the organizer of the page wrote.

It looked as though the Coyotes, now owned by the league because of financial troubles, might be moving back to Winnipeg. But last week, officials in suburban Glendale, Ariz., agreed to a $25 million subsidy for the upcoming season, saving the Coyotes while they try to finalize new ownership.

That turned the focus to the Thrashers.

The Thrashers owners, known as Atlanta Spirit, claim $130 million in losses since 2005 and have made it clear they no longer want the NHL team, which has made the playoffs only once in 11 seasons and ranked 28th out of 30 teams in attendance this year. While the preference is to find new ownership that would keep the team in Atlanta, no one has come forward with a legitimate offer.

"Nothing new," co-owner Bruce Levenson said Friday in an email to The Associated Press.

NHL officials also were tightlipped.

"No concrete developments at this point," deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote in an email to the AP. "Won't comment on likelihood or things that might flow from agreement unless or until its reached."

True North reportedly is willing to pay $110 million for the team and another $60 million to the league as a relocation fee.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6571287

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Winnipeg mayor: Thrashers coming Empty Re: Winnipeg mayor: Thrashers coming

Post by calamity jane Sat 21 May 2011, 7:30 pm

I think most hockey fans in Winnipeg would have preferred the Coyotes to make the move north, but it's good to see another team in Canada.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Tue 24 May 2011, 5:57 pm

It was expected that Winnipeg would get confirmation today (Tuesday) on a possible move but now it seems it could take a little longer before the future of the Thrashers is settled.
The Atlanta owners also own the NBA's Hawks and it looks like they want to sell off that franchise first. This may have to be resolved before we hear about any NHL moves. But if talks break down for the NBA team, which they might have, Winnipeg could be waiting awhile yet.

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Tue 31 May 2011, 4:17 pm

Looks like the ATL to Winnipeg move is done! Pierre LeBrun is reporting a press conference for today in Winnipeg at 5pm GMT.
NHL website also has this story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6610414

Last edited by HHealer on Tue 31 May 2011, 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link for updated story)

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 31 May 2011, 9:32 pm

Healer,
Have you heard what they plan to name the Winnipeg team?
Winnipeg Jets? Manitoba Moose?? Certainly not Winnipeg Thrashers.
Watched the Thrashers in Montreal this year - they had a decent team, just faded as the speculation on moving reared its head and the season wound down.
Now they've lost the Flames and the Thrashers, deja vu all over again. Two strikes and let's hope they're out.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Tue 31 May 2011, 11:40 pm

kwinigolfer,
No word yet. The new owners, True North, are saying that the issue of a name, team colors etc. will be decided when the team is up and running. They want/need to sell 13,000 season tickets first before they start sorting out the other details.
What we do know is that Winnipeg will play in the SouthEast division for one year before switching West. So the new question is, Who comes East? (for the sake of balance) Detroit, Nashville or Columbus? But that all depends on any other moves in the next year or so, cause Im sure we're not done just yet.

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 12:16 am

Can't see that they'd break up the old Norris Division teams, so probably Nashville?
Should be interesting though; can Phoenix to Quebec be far away?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Wed 01 Jun 2011, 8:03 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Can't see that they'd break up the old Norris Division teams, so probably Nashville?
Should be interesting though; can Phoenix to Quebec be far away?

Would make sense to put Nashville in the Southeast division, leaving the Wings and 'Hawks in the same division. I wonder if Phoenix went to Quebec would we see Winnipeg in the Northwest with Vancouver sliding over to the Pacific. A team would then have to go into the West to replace Phoenix. But who?
While we're playing 'make-believe' I hope the Islanders cross Long Island Sound for Hartford! Very Happy Bring back the Whale.
Are you near I-91 up there in Vermont? maybe I can turn you into a Whaler fan, So you can shoot down 91 to cheer the Whale Wink Someday hopefully!

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 01 Jun 2011, 8:24 pm

I think the best solution would be to move Winnipeg to the Northwest, move Colorado to the Central and then move Nashville to the Southeast.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Sun 05 Jun 2011, 2:47 am

Manning-to-Manningham wrote:I think the best solution would be to move Winnipeg to the Northwest, move Colorado to the Central and then move Nashville to the Southeast.

Gary Bettman has admitted that the NHL will have to realign after the 2012 season. What he doesn't want is a situation where you might have one team move next year, he realigns the league then we have another team or two move the next season. The NHL needs to have a good sense of what cities teams will be playing in 5-6 years down the road before doing any big realignment.
Here is a link to a good blog with two great hockey scribes talking about the move to Winnipeg and the future realignment. http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/8685/thrashers-debate-realignment-questions

On another note- Winnipeg have sold ALL 13,000 of their season tickets in just 17 minutes! The tickets were for either 3, 4 or 5 years. The team's new arena will have 15,000 seats (the smallest in the NHL) A great sign of the hunger for hockey in Winnipeg.

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Sun 05 Jun 2011, 12:33 pm

In a lot of ways I'd be delighted if Detroit moved East. I know they are head and shoulders above most of the Eastern Conference teams and usually kick the Bruins butts, but I'm a massive fan of Pavel Datsuyk and to see him play in the East would be fantastic.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Packman4 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

Good news

11,000 for Thrashers hosting Penguins last season group of 20 Brits got tickets at the last minute.

Excellent game and tied in 3rd period and loads of home 'fans' started to leave!

Hope they are called the Jets from next season!

Packman4

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

Packman4 wrote:Good news

11,000 for Thrashers hosting Penguins last season group of 20 Brits got tickets at the last minute.

Excellent game and tied in 3rd period and loads of home 'fans' started to leave!

Hope they are called the Jets from next season!

That just sad. Reminds me of people who go an afternoon LA Dodgers game and no matter what the score leave around the 7th/8th inning to beat the evening traffic! At least Winnipeg will have a full house (15,000) for the next 5 years and I bet no one will leave a tied game in the 3rd!

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Sat 23 Jul 2011, 5:49 pm

Jets launch logos;
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0722/nhl_e_jets11_576.jpg

Must say I like these. No word on uniform colors or design but looking at the logos you would think they would be blue/red and white?

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down