The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Phelan United manager??

+2
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Atila
6 posters

Go down

Mike Phelan United manager?? Empty Mike Phelan United manager??

Post by Atila Tue 18 Mar 2014, 5:14 am

I was having a conversation with my brother who lives abroad and doesn't know much about the managers in the EPL. My brother though has always followed United and thinks that United made a mistake in hiring Moyes and should have given the job to Mike Phelan.

Why I asked? My brothers reasoning was that Phelan had the advantage of working with Fergie, knew the system at United and knew all the United players. I disagree with him about Phelan. I couldn't imagine Phelan being the manager of United though hiring from within worked for Liverpool after Bill Shankly retired.

Is there anyone else who thinks that United should have given Phelan a chance?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Mike Phelan United manager?? Empty Re: Mike Phelan United manager??

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:15 am

Straws.............being................clutched.

Last edited by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:52 am

Surely Steve McClaren would have been the choice on that thinking seen as he has won titles, won cups, been successful in Europe?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:05 am

Could have worked to be honest, continuity and kept the same backroom staff etc.

Wouldn't work now mind.

Could have flopped because he isn't fergie.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 18 Mar 2014, 1:24 pm

in a word no

was never really impressed with phelan as a assistant when compared to someone like queiroz. he got on with the players but it cant be a coincidence that our football starting going down hill when phelan become assistant

add to that, that assistant managers very rarely make good managers, its a totally different job

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:21 pm

ya promoting the no.2's worked well for liverpool, even roy evans when he stepped did quite well. utd/moyes should have retained phelan as an assistant , moyes could still have brought phil neville if he wanted as well , as others have said phelan knew the set up.

meulensteen springs to mind, maybe fergie should insisted on him and phelan as moyes assistants  Very Happy 

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:25 pm

yeah it was successful for liverpool 40 years ago!! times have moved on and football has changed. there are very few cases that are as successful as the shankley/paisley. in fact there were very few success stories at all. a hell of a lot more failures

not sure you can say evans was a massive success, he had a pressure free job following souness where he couldnt lose, he was only in the job few years before Liverpool wanted rid by bringing in houllier with him

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:34 pm

May as well call this thread "MIKE BASSETT - UNITED MANAGER"

Think the consensus is that last night was a stay of execution for Utd and Moyes and that any revival will be short lived.

Still, stranger things have happened but I'm sure someone out there will be able to just how many teams buck the trend and come back from a position like Utd's current one to salvage a top four spot or grab a major trophy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:28 pm

Like I said, I couldn't imagine Phelan as manager, but hiring from within has worked recently and with great results. Barcelona promoted Pep Guardiola from within, and it worked for them.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting Moyes to win the title this year, I'm just disappointed on how far they've fallen under him so fast.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down