The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Black Frank Oliver passes away at 65

5 posters

Go down

All Black Frank Oliver passes away at 65 Empty All Black Frank Oliver passes away at 65

Post by Taylorman Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm

Wasnt overly familiar with his earlier career with Southland but formed part of one of my favourite sides in Manawatu of the early 80's where so many great provincial and AB's cam from the relatively small union- Mark Donaldson, Geoff Old, Kent Lambert, Bruce Hemara, Gary Knight, John Calleson, High Blair, Ken Granger, Doug Rollerson, Mark 'Cowboy' Shaw to name a few and formed a formidable partnership with Andy Haden in the 70's.

Father of AB Anton Oliver and one of the greats of AB rugby. One of the few remaining genuine quiet but unassuming hard men of the pre professional game.

R.I.P.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11221712

Last edited by Taylorman on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

All Black Frank Oliver passes away at 65 Empty Re: All Black Frank Oliver passes away at 65

Post by Notch Mon 17 Mar 2014, 9:00 pm

Sad news... the rugby fraternity will rally around the family.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

All Black Frank Oliver passes away at 65 Empty Re: All Black Frank Oliver passes away at 65

Post by mr_stonelea Tue 18 Mar 2014, 2:19 pm

Didnt he score the try that was never seen? I think it was against Scotland and bizarrely the game finished in the dark. ...no floodlights and late kick off. ...I remember the tv pictures trying to follow the action but it was pitch black. .hilarious

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:20 pm

I notice the Welsh fans are staying off this topic, the less said the better.  Whistle 
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

All Black Frank Oliver passes away at 65 Empty Frank Oliver R.I.P.

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 21 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm

This week New Zealand rugby mourned the death of hardman and lock of All black packs Frank Oliver.

Contrary to what you may hear outside of New Zealand, Frank's nickname, "Filth"  wasn't because he was a dirty player, but because he was a policeman.

For a period he played provincial rugby for Southland. In 1976 Ireland were touring New Zealand, and after getting beaten up by the Canterbury forwards, they were determined to not repeat the process in the following game which was against Southland. In the early minutes of the game the "99" call went out and the Irish players flew in and started belting the S...t out of  the Southlanders, 29 players were involved in the ensuing fight, apart from the lonesome Frank, none of the Irish would go near him.

As a victim Frank won a test against Wales, In 1978 Wales were leading against the All Blacks and there was only 1 minute to go, Frank was maliciously attacked by Geoff Wheel referee Roger Quittenton awarded a penalty, Brian Mckecknie kicked the goal for the All Blacks to claim victory.

Frank is the father of All Black captain Anton Oliver.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 21 Mar 2014, 10:48 pm

Apologies Taylorman, I just realised that you have already covered this.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down