The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

+14
Strongback
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Stella
Mind the windows Tino.
TopHat24/7
superflyweight
sodhat
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
TRUSSMAN66
seanmichaels
Galted
Rowley
Cass1234
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Cass1234 Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Simple question really.. Who is the greatest actor never to have won an Oscar?? For me it has to be Leonardo Dicaprio.  I think he is by far the standout actor of his generation, and think always takes different and challenging roles. I think for he must surely win one in the next 10-15 years, it would be criminal for a man that has had so many great performances, not to have won one. I think maybe in the end they will just give him a token one ala Scorsese for The Departed..  Anyway thoughts?

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Cass1234 wrote:In recent years I think Daniel Day Lewis, Foreest Whitiker and Jamie Foxx have all won impersonating someone else !!

Don't forget Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. Theory is looking shakier with every passing moment.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Frank Langella should have got one for playing Nixon.  He was incredible.  I don't know who won it that year but it must have been some performance to be better than Langella's.  Mesmerising stuff.

William Petersen or Brian Cox should have got one for Manhunter.  Time has reflected kindly on that film and they were both superb in it.
Didn't buy Petersen's portrayal of Will Graham any more than Edward Norton's in Red Dragon. Red Dragon is infinitely superior to Silence of the Lambs and no-one has done it justice The trouble with the film is that the majority of the deduction is done inside Graham's head and to watch a character walking around giving an external monologue just seems wrong. That a-hole, Robson Green does it in Wire in the Blood and it sounds ridiculous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:58 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Frank Langella should have got one for playing Nixon.  He was incredible.  I don't know who won it that year but it must have been some performance to be better than Langella's.  Mesmerising stuff.

William Petersen or Brian Cox should have got one for Manhunter.  Time has reflected kindly on that film and they were both superb in it.
Didn't buy Petersen's portrayal of Will Graham any more than Edward Norton's in Red Dragon. Red Dragon is infinitely superior to Silence of the Lambs and no-one has done it justice The trouble with the film is that the majority of the deduction is done inside Graham's head and to watch a character walking around giving an external monologue just seems wrong. That a-hole, Robson Green does it in Wire in the Blood and it sounds ridiculous.

He was way better than Norton who spent most of the time pouting and looking confused.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Rowley wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:In recent years I think Daniel Day Lewis, Foreest Whitiker and Jamie Foxx have all won impersonating someone else !!

Don't forget Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. Theory is looking shakier with every passing moment.

hmmmm very shaky, so basically 50% of recent best actor winners over the past 10 years have been an impersonation of someone else... enough said I think!

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:01 pm

I agree Norton was pants...........I think Norton is the most charisma-less actor I've ever seen........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:02 pm

Cass1234 wrote:
Rowley wrote:

hmmmm very shaky, so basically 50% of recent best actor winners over the past 10 years have been an impersonation of someone else... enough said I think!

In all fairness this years nominees support the theory pretty much wholeheartedly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I agree Norton was pants...........I think Norton is the most charisma-less actor I've ever seen........
However hasn't he been nominated a number of times for things like "Primal Fear" etc?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Rowley wrote:The winner that year puts that theory on shaky ground Truss!

You are spot on.................Albeit a minor figure in regards to the other two................But you are right........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:10 pm

Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly enamoured with his acting skills like many are..

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Cass1234 wrote:Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly  enamoured with his acting skills like many are..
Name them.....Eastwood basically plays a different version of Dirty Harry. Don't get me wrong Eastwood is/was great but versatility isn't his strong point.

The only thing he ever did that was remotely "out there" was "Bridges of Madison County" and I like to think that was Dirty harry having had his drink spiked with acid but instead of headbutting TRUSSMAN (like everyone should try to do at least once in their life) he went all flowery. In the Director's Cut, when the effects wore off, he shot Streep in the face, blew up the bridge and killed fourteen sheep by just staring at them. Even Chuck Norris was mildly perturbed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:28 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Cass1234 wrote:Has Clint Eastwood ever won for his acting?? Not that I am particularly  enamoured with his acting skills like many are..
Name them.....Eastwood basically plays a different version of Dirty Harry. Don't get me wrong Eastwood is/was great but versatility isn't his strong point.

The only thing he ever did that was remotely "out there" was "Bridges of Madison County" and I like to think that was Dirty harry having had his drink spiked with acid but instead of headbutting TRUSSMAN (like everyone should try to do at least once in their life) he went all flowery. In the Director's Cut, when the effects wore off, he shot Streep in the face, blew up the bridge and killed fourteen sheep by just staring at them. Even Chuck Norris was mildly perturbed.

I could list them.. but to be honest mate don't think you'd know them. Laugh 

Agreed he does play a different version of Dirty Harry, which Im not the biggest fan of anyway...Think the only film I've really enjoyed watching him in was Million Dollar Baby.

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Play Misty for me.........He was a mild mannered DJ.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:26 am

Who would shoot you in the face if you asked for a record he didn't like. He held it together with gossamer strands. Once he handed over to the breakfast crew he was out killing homeless people.

Million Dollar Baby.... Harry Callaghan, runs a boxing gym.

My favourite Eastwood films (outside of the "classics") are "In the Line of Fire" and "Heartbreak Ridge"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 am

Heartbreak ridge ??.........For a minute there I thought you had good taste.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 am

Million Dollar Baby was pants. In The Line Of Fire on the other hand was good, and tbh, he role wasn't really a dirty harry. More like slightly dirty. He played the piano for a start.

Give me an eastwood spaghetti western please.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:43 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Heartbreak ridge ??.........For a minute there I thought you had good taste.
The Americans go in and blow some sh!t up, claim a moral victory and the hero gets the girl/old woman. Thought it would be the film version of your life, Beefster

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 am

DAVE667 wrote:

What utter rubbish!  He wears a hat in some films and not others.  He rides a horse in some films and not others.  He shoots people with a rifle in some films and a handgun in others.  He grimaces more in some films than others.  He chews tobacco in some films and not others.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:07 am

Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

What utter rubbish!  He wears a hat in some films and not others.  He rides a horse in some films and not others.  He shoots people with a rifle in some films and a handgun in others.  He grimaces more in some films than others.  He chews tobacco in some films and not others.
It's a rare thing when I'm A/ Wrong B/ Proved wrong and C/ Willing/happy to admit it....how glad I am that it's you Galted, who is the one to point out the glaring errors in my post instead of one of those other unbearably smug c*nts that float around on here.

I look forward to you proving me wrong about my long standing belief that Sean Connery is f*****g s**t.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:11 am

DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

It's a rare thing when I'm A/ Wrong B/ Proved wrong and C/ Willing/happy to admit it....how glad I am that it's you Galted, who is the one to point out the glaring errors in my post instead of one of those other unbearably smug c*nts that float around on here.

I look forward to you proving me wrong about my long standing belief that Sean Connery is f*****g s**t.

No chance of that, he is a completely talentless c*nt.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:31 am

If we are calling actors overrated what about Laurence Olivier !!.....

Boring actor in boring films..........Sleuth was decent because Michael Caine was in it......

Great actor............bollox.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:33 am

Didn't Connery win an oscar for his role in the untouchables?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 am

Stella wrote:Didn't Connery win an oscar for his role in the untouchables?

It was only a matter of time before the thread mentioned worst actor to win an oscar.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:37 am

Galted wrote:

It was only a matter of time before the thread mentioned worst actor to win an oscar.

Yep, who were the other candidates that year? Scooby Doo?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:42 am

Give me a not so good actor with bags of charisma.............Than a boring stiff who makes me fall a sleep even though his timing is right..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:45 am

Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

You are my favourite poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Galted wrote:

Whilst he is obviously not the worst answer to ever win one, Pacino winning for Scent of a Woman is about as undeserving as it got. Was quite clear someone on the voting panel just realised they had forgot to give him an award over the last 30 years and thought it needed redressing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:

Whilst he is obviously not the worst answer to ever win one, Pacino winning for Scent of a Woman is about as undeserving as it got. Was quite clear someone on the voting panel just realised they had forgot to give him an award over the last 30 years and thought it needed redressing.

Thought Washington as Malcolm X should have won it that year.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:

Always thought Serpico was his best film..............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 pm

He has made a number better than Scent of a Woman Truss, they do this quite a lot. Gave Newman the Oscar for Colour of Money, kind of like admitting they screwed up not giving it him for the Hustler.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 pm

Stella wrote:
Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:

Thought Washington as Malcolm X should have won it that year.
What? And give an Oscar to someone for basically doing an impersonation of someone else? Perish the thought

Although Idris Elba will be keeping his fingers crossed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:26 pm

It'd be like giving Kirk Douglas an Oscar for "Tough Guys" but they went the "lifetime achievement" route instead.

Douglas is one of my all-time favourites

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

This is the best thing that's happened to me since I saw silhouetted Ryder side-boob in Bram Stoker's Dracula.  You are my favourite heavy metal enthusiast and serial killer.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:10 pm

Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

This is the best thing that's happened to me since I saw silhouetted Ryder side-boob in Bram Stoker's Dracula.  You are my favourite heavy metal enthusiast and serial killer.
The only way this day could get any better is if the head of EE comes into the local Bradford Branch whilst I'm dismembering the ignorant c**t who calls himself the Manager and I get to kill two birds with one stone...almost literally (I have spare bricks...can't be too careful)

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:42 pm

Rowley wrote:He has made a number better than Scent of a Woman Truss, they do this quite a lot. Gave Newman the Oscar for Colour of Money, kind of like admitting they screwed up not giving it him for the Hustler.

Same thing happened with John Wayne. Turned down as Best Actor in 1949 for Sands of Iwo Jima and then having to wait twenty years to win for True Grit!  Rolling Eyes 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:33 pm

Never rated John Wayne either (Ghengis Khan anyone?) although "The Shootist" is probably one of his most honest portrayals. There's also a film at the end of Errol Flynn's career where he plays a broken down drunk that meant to be one of his very best performances

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:39 pm

The fella who played Shadrack Dingle in Emmerdale must be up there.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 am

Al Pacino was in danger of not winning until they threw him one for Scent of a Woman. Kind of like half a sympathy vote and half an apology by the academy. It took him eight nomination to win one.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 am

Same With Scorcese and the Departed.. I think the same will happen with DiCaprio..

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Strongback wrote:Al Pacino was in danger of not winning until they threw him one  for Scent of a Woman. Kind of like half a sympathy vote and half an apology by the academy.  It took him eight nomination to win one.

For such a cut throat business, the sympathy vote has played quite a large part in the Oscars. One of the earliest and most striking examples was when Clarke Gable, looking a nailed on winner for his performance in Gone With The Wind, lost out to the underwhelming Robert Donat (Goodbye Mr Chips). Although he actually lived for another twenty years, Donat was thought to be seriously ill at the time.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Probably the same reason they gave it to Martin Landau instead of Samuel Jackson

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:58 pm

If Idris Elba wins an Oscar for playing Mandela... I would put it as hands down the worst Oscar winning performance in history
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie_J Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Little TC

Davie_J

http://www.footballpix.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:04 am

cant say ive been a big fan of eastwood, must have missed out on something having not been around at the time. but did think gran torino was a great film

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Having non-actors in the supporting cast really let Gran Torino down...quite apart from it being "Dirty Harry - The Alzheimer Years"

Back to top Go down

Post by Datswotuhav Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:05 am

T

Datswotuhav

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:27 pm

I thought Oliver reed in Gladiator stole the movie...........Loved the guy excellent in everything he was in...........Stole the muskateer movie also....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2