The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

+14
Strongback
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Stella
Mind the windows Tino.
TopHat24/7
superflyweight
sodhat
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
TRUSSMAN66
seanmichaels
Galted
Rowley
Cass1234
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? Empty Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Cass1234 Mon 24 Feb 2014, 7:35 pm

Simple question really.. Who is the greatest actor never to have won an Oscar?? For me it has to be Leonardo Dicaprio.  I think he is by far the standout actor of his generation, and think always takes different and challenging roles. I think for he must surely win one in the next 10-15 years, it would be criminal for a man that has had so many great performances, not to have won one. I think maybe in the end they will just give him a token one ala Scorsese for The Departed..  Anyway thoughts?

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Rowley Mon 24 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm

The recently departed Peter O'Toole would seem the obvious candidate. However my own choice would be the brilliant John Cazales. Died far too young but his body of work in the 70s was nothing short of extraordinary, the godfather one and two, dog day afternoon, the conversation and the deer hunter. Not only did he not win an oscar but was not even nominated.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Greatest actors never to win an Oscar? Empty Re: Greatest actors never to win an Oscar?

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:01 am

Completely forgot about Peter O'Toole, Im sure he will definitely top most lists for this unwanted accolade.  I can't even place John Cazales face, though I haven't seen any of the godfathers for a fair few years or Deer Hunter. The other films you mentioned I have to admit I haven't even heard of, worth a watch??? I think the way the Oscars are run its a shame, Im sure its every actor/director etc dream to win one, yet many great performances/films will go unrecognized due to the politics, and what the people who choose look for. an example being 12 years a slave.  I mean though I haven't seen it yet (Soldier on Tour) and it being about a subject I do take an interest in, due to my heritage. You just know because of the subject it is about, it is almost certain to sweep up at the Oscars, even though there may be more deserving performances/films.

Last edited by Cass1234 on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:51 am

I have seen 12 years a slave mate, is a good film and deals with what is obviously a pretty delicate subject in a sensitive manner but having seen most of the other candidates of Oscar honours it is one of the weaker contenders. Dallas Buyer Club is better all round, as is American Hustle, however as you say would not surprise anyone to see 12 years sweep the board, just on the basis of the subject matter. Thing with 12 Years for me is I don’t feel like I came out of the film knowing anything I did not already know, slavery is pretty horrible, seems to be the message. Well at the risk of being glib, I pretty much knew that going in.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 25 Feb 2014, 9:19 am

Agree with Rowley about John Cazale. Another 2 Johns spring to mind, John Turturro and John Cusack. Plus Tim Roth and Gary Oldman.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb 2014, 9:22 am

Gary Oldman is a good shout Galted. Sometimes has not made films worthy of his talents but personally I thought he deserved the nod for Tinker Tailor the other year.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 25 Feb 2014, 9:31 am

He's almost too convincing in any part he plays, you tend to not know/forget that it's him in the role. Would recommend Meantime if you haven't seen it already, very early Oldman and Roth in the same film, acting masterpiece.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 25 Feb 2014, 9:41 am

Sean Bean, particularly for his lead role in 'When Saturday Comes.'

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb 2014, 9:42 am

I have seen Meantime, used to love those plays and TV films we used to make over here before our cooking show obsession. Made in Britain with Roth is also excellent. The Firm with Oldman as a football hooligan is brilliant as well, he is terrifying in that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:14 am

Peter O'Toole has won an Oscar............Honorary one I'm sure a few years ago........

Never did anything for me......God rest his soul..

She has won one but how the hell Judi Dench didn't win the academy award for "Notes on a scandal" staggers me.........Powerhouse performance in subtle manipulation....Stole the show from Blanchett who has heaven knows how many........

Woman is one of the best actresses I've ever seen............Subtle...Perfect timing and can give off an emotion with a glance any other actress needs five lines of dialogue to get across....

She'll steal any scene she is in.......The Spencer Tracy of the actress World...

Meryl Streep with her collection couldn't light a candle on this fine British specimen.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:21 am

James Mason is another great actor who never won an Oscar, IIRC.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:23 am

Never honored by your Country either..........

When luvvie-never-do-well darlings were getting knighthoods........

The co-star of North by Northwest and other epics got zilcho......

Mason stole Salem's lot when he was 70 odd.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:25 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Never honored by your Country either..........

When luvvie-never-do-well darlings were getting knighthoods........

The co-star of North by Northwest and other epics got zilcho......

Mason stole Salem's lot when he was 70 odd.......

Probably not Knighted because he was a conscientious objector during WWII.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:37 am

He wasn't knighted probably because he wasn't part of the establishment Mate..

Just as another huge Brit export Stewart Granger wasn't........

Loved his swashbuckling stuff..............Scaramouche.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:53 am

Will you do the fandango?

Lenny Henry never got an Oscar nomination for his film, Coast to Coast. Hilarious

No, wait a minute.

Has Tommy Lee Jones won one yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:56 am

The fugitive.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:59 am

Cazale is a particularly strong call. Going back further in time, a very firm case could be made for Montgomery Clift. Never an Oscar winner but four times a nominee (three Best, one Supporting) including his majestic performance in the wonderfully tragic 'A Place in the Sun'.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:02 am

That's Montgomery Clift, honey.

Points for anyone getting the reference.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:03 am

Cazale was extraordinary in Godfather II, can only assume he suffers from being surrounded by pretty much exemplary performances across the board.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:04 am

sodhat wrote:That's Montgomery Clift, honey.

The Clash, can't remember the song name but is on London's Calling.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:05 am

Rowley wrote:
sodhat wrote:That's Montgomery Clift, honey.

The Clash, can't remember the song name but is on London's Calling.

I think it's The Right Profile...

But an unspecified amount of points to you Sir.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:06 am

Yes, you can never have too many points of no discernible value in the real world.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:07 am

John Cassavetes.................Ground breaking director.......Who's independent movies are some of the best rated of the time..........

Creative genius who acted to earn money to make his projects........Mostly starring his with rowlands, Ben Gazzara and peter Falk.........

Amazing what you can do when you care about the material.....

Great director..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:26 am

Rowley wrote:Cazale was extraordinary in Godfather II, can only assume he suffers from being surrounded by pretty much exemplary performances across the board.

Totally agree, Jeff. Think it was back in the summer that we had a brief cyber bromance about Michael V Gazzo's performance as mafiosa Frankie Pentangeli.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:35 am

Rowley wrote:Yes, you can never have too many points of no discernible value in the real world.

Don't spend them all at once.

But then you're from Yorkshire so the chances of that happening were somewhat slim to begin with.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:57 am

Dog day afternoon was a great film with cazale in.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm

Not many modern day actors being put forward. is this due to the old boxing syndrome of rose tinted glasses and old being better then new?? Or do people just not rate the likes of DiCaprio and Will Smith? Not saying these are better than some of the actors named above.. but surely worth a mention?

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:27 pm

You give Smith an oscar for one film.......Then you have to give him one every year..

Because he plays the same role every time.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm

Ha I get what your saying there Truss, he isn't the most versatile which is a sign of a great actor.. Loved him in every film Ive seen him in though, and Ali was like a match made in heaven for me. One of my favourite actors playing my hero !! think he possibly could of won that year if the competition wasn't as strong as it was!

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:40 pm

Think there is a resistance to put modern guys forward because they still have chance to win one and you would think most of the top tier guys will win one eventually. One guy who has not won one once who deserves to at some point is Joaquin Phoenix. Really admire his film choices, does not just do the normal action roles and tends to pick slightly edgier stuff and is never less than watchable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:46 pm

One current actor who I reckon should have, but never has, won one is Kevin Bacon.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:57 pm

Robert Mitchum.

Could easily have won for Night of The Hunter, considering he lost out to Ernest Borgnine (Marty) and was probably unlucky that his other two great performances, Cape Fear and the Friends of Eddie Coyle were in particularly strong years (look at the list of nominees for 1962 and 1973).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:01 pm

Rowley wrote:Think there is a resistance to put modern guys forward because they still have chance to win one and you would think most of the top tier guys will win one eventually. One guy who has not won one once who deserves to at some point is Joaquin Phoenix. Really admire his film choices, does not just do the normal action roles and tends to pick slightly edgier stuff and is never less than watchable.

Yeah that is a great point, as I said I hope the likes of DiCaprio win one for a great performance, not just as a gimme because he should of won one. Joaquin Phoneix is a great shout. Really underrated actor, had some great performances, absolutely loved him in Walk The Line which I think he did get nominated for Best Actor for?

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:03 pm

Never did like Kevin Bacon.. Silly as It sounds, mainly due to his character in Sleepers.. A massive failure on my part to differentiate between the actor and the man.. But just can't get past the hate I feel for him !

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:08 pm

Don't rate Bacon either........lightweight.......

Hal Holbrook.............Into the wild, Capricorn one, Rituals, All the president's men, The firm, The Fog, Magnum Force etc etc.........

Wonderful support actor..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't rate Bacon either........lightweight.......

Really?
Ever seen Murder in the First or The Woodsman? Thought he was pretty good in JFK and Mystic River as well.
Quite liked Stir of Echoes as well myself.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm

You're right hoggy. He was brilliant in The Woodsman. Likewise I thought he was the best thing in Mystic River, which is quite a compliment given the cast.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:49 pm

Why did I think it was Gary Sinise that played Kevin Bacon's character in Mystic River? Just read the book recently and pictured Gary Sinise the whole time I was reading it.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:57 pm

Rowley wrote:Gary Oldman is a good shout Galted. Sometimes has not made films worthy of his talents but personally I thought he deserved the nod for Tinker Tailor the other year.

Leon!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:33 pm

Rowley wrote:You're right hoggy. He was brilliant in The Woodsman. Likewise I thought he was the best thing in Mystic River, which is quite a compliment given the cast.

If Hoggy was right..... The guy would have won an Oscar....... thumbsup 

Hoggy was wrong......... Cool 

Richard Burton.....................A powerhouse, scene stealing genius...............6 noms.......no prize

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Richard Burton.....................A powerhouse, scene stealing genius...............6 noms.......no prize

Obviously a lightweight. Otherwise he'd have won one, no?  Wink 

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:41 pm

Frank Langella should have got one for playing Nixon. He was incredible. I don't know who won it that year but it must have been some performance to be better than Langella's. Mesmerising stuff.

William Petersen or Brian Cox should have got one for Manhunter. Time has reflected kindly on that film and they were both superb in it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm

Langella was excellent..........But like Nicholson who was brilliant as Hoffa..........Hollywood seems to scoff at giving people oscars for impersonations......

Thought Jackman was unlucky to miss out for Les miserables !! Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:50 pm

Sean Penn won it for Milk Tina. I am a massive Penn fan, but agree Langella was robbed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:51 pm

The winner that year puts that theory on shaky ground Truss!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:51 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Frank Langella should have got one for playing Nixon.  He was incredible.  I don't know who won it that year but it must have been some performance to be better than Langella's.  Mesmerising stuff.

William Petersen or Brian Cox should have got one for Manhunter.  Time has reflected kindly on that film and they were both superb in it.

Of the top of my head think the winner that year was Sean Penn for Milk.. haven't seen either performances so can't really comment..

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Thought Jackman was unlucky to miss out for Les miserables !! Cool 

I'm warning you, Beefcake.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:52 pm

Rowley wrote:Sean Penn won it for Milk Tina. I am a massive Penn fan, but agree Langella was robbed.

Nice work, Jeff. Thanks.

I haven't actually seen Milk but if you think he was robbed, that will do for me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass1234 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:55 pm

In recent years I think Daniel Day Lewis, Foreest Whitiker and Jamie Foxx have all won impersonating someone else !!

Cass1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:56 pm

Cass1234 wrote:In recent years I think Daniel Day Lewis, Foreest Whitiker and Jamie Foxx have all won impersonating someone else !!

Good work.

Think again, Trussmeister.......

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next