The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland player ratings

+22
reallybored
TheMildlyFranticLlama
R!skysports
IanBru
GLove39
Comfort
RuggerRadge2611
TJ
GloriousEmpire
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
Nematode
alive555
Hood83
jimbopip
21st Century Schizoid Man
George Carlin
cakeordeath
tigertattie
HawkTheSlayersRubbish
RDW
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scotland player ratings Empty Scotland player ratings

Post by RDW Sat 22 Feb - 16:20

Grant - 6

Back on form, with a big shift but we need more from him just now.

Lawson - 8

Absolutely justified his selection, and should be our first choice hooker going forward. Perfect lineout and big shift in the loose.

Low - 4

A day to forget. Fair play to Johnson fir subbing him off early.

Gray - 8

Why was he ever dropped? Monstrous performance.

Hamilton - 7

Fair play to big Jim, the lineout went from a calamity to a pillar of strength. I don't think he even gave away any penalties!

Wilson - 6

Much better, but he's still not the answer at 6

Fusaro - 6

Turnover aside he had a quiet game, and still think he's underpowered at this level

Beattie - 7

Barnstorming game - becoming a real leader too

Laidlaw - 6

His position is becoming untenable - far to slow at ruck time and was caught napping on several occasions

Weir - 7

Would have been a 6 if not for that wonderful drop goal. Not the best game overall but an outstanding drop goal.

Lamont - 8

My motm - he may be slow but he always gets over the gainline. Such a physical presence.

Scott - 7

Much sharper this game, and straightened up the line perfectly for Dunbar's first try

Dunbar - 8

Two great tries, need to keep him and Scott together for the foreseeable future.

Seymour - 6

Quiet game

Hogg - 6

Some booming kicks, but guilty of forcing things in attack.

Subs

Dickinson - 7

Positive impact coming on. Putting pressure on grant.

Cross - 7

Gave great stability in the scrum, and put a big shift in the loose. Should start against France.

Denton - 7

Did what he does best, buy god he needs to work on his passing

Cusiter - 8

Turned the game when he came on - deserves the starting shirt

Taylor - 6

Not much involvement

Evans - 7

Big impact when he came on - best I've seen him in a long time

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland player ratings Empty Re: Scotland player ratings

Post by HawkTheSlayersRubbish Sat 22 Feb - 16:38

agree with most of them rdw. not sure about Lamont for motm, maybe gray or dunbar instead. Also think that youre being a bit kind giving Laidlaw 6. Enjoyed the game, a lot better than the snorefest on at the mo

HawkTheSlayersRubbish

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat 22 Feb - 16:43

I'd agree with you on Cusiter, he is a far superior player than Laidlaw and far better than we ever give him credit for probably because with him and Blair to choose from we were spoilt.

For France I'd pick:

1. Grant
2. Lawson
3. Cross
4. Hamilton
5. Gray
6. Brown
7. Fusaro
8. Beattie
9. Cusiter
10. Weir
11. Lamont
12. Scott
13. Dunbar
14. Seymour
15. Hogg

16. Dickinson
17. MacArthur
18. Low
19. Gray
20. Denton
21. Laidlaw
22. Bennett
23. Evans

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayersRubbish Sat 22 Feb - 16:46

would go for denton over fusaro, hes being picked as a fetcher and is getting about one turnover a game

HawkTheSlayersRubbish

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 22 Feb - 17:43

Lamont. Legend.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat 22 Feb - 17:47

I think you are a bit too generous with Laidlaw, I would give him a 4.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Feb - 8:35

There are some key decisions to make for SJ for the rest of this tournament:

1. Cusiter instead of Laidlaw. We are running out of reasons for Laidlaw to start.

2. A.N. Other instead of Low. His position isn't sustainable after that performance unfortunately although inevitably it's not entirely his fault he became Walsh's scapegoat. Would be happy with Cross, with Welsh on the bench.

3. Brown instead of Wilson. It's the obvious switch to make in the 4-8 range, but if he really has fallen out with Brown, then SJ will never make it. Wilson, incidentally, is credited with winning 2 turnovers in the offical match stats.

4. Maintaining Lawson instead of Ford. Oh look, Ford didn't play and we didn't really miss him. Given Lawson's overall performance, I would be stunned if he wasn't maintained as a starter against France.

In two minds about Fozzy. Won 2 turnovers and did lots of work making our recycle ball smoother. I think he deserves the right to play in the last two games, if only because I really don't want to be missing an openside yet again...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 23 Feb - 8:52

Why not play the 3Bs Brown, Barclay ,Beattie with Denton as impact sub again. Jon Welsh for Low - who has not played well for The Warriors this season and everyone bar the clown in charge seems to know this - although Cross did a good job when he came on. Laidlaw's time is up - Cusiter starts with Pyrgos on the bench (this fecks up The Warriors tbh). Max E for Seymour ?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 23 Feb - 9:12

George, Schiz, in almost total agreement.
We need to see a six at 6. Kellybrows is the most obvious choice but I feel he's out in the cold. Strokes or Harley would do for me.
Low needs to "have a rest" and Angela is the obvious replacement.(How many sleeps till Mike Cusack is SQ?).
Laidlaw should spend some time in a darkened room with dvd's of his uncle Roy, and that Gary Armstrong chappie and not come out till he has had a good think about what he has done.
I think Rab C will persevere with Seymour, but all credit to Max E he has not let us down thus far. However , his familiarity with the French game might get him the nod.
Finally, Basteraud; not only built like a wardrobe but now almost as mobile. Dunbar should take him to the cleaners.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Feb - 9:32

Cross put in a very strong performance when he came on and anchored the scrum, and was strong in the loose (in spite if the derogatory comments our friends from the west made about him earlier in the week).

If anyone is to replace Low, it should be Cross

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 23 Feb - 9:59

But Cross is not getting a game for the MFLs !  :head scratch:  Cross did well yesterday but Angie Welsh is a big hard ticket who we may need v the undisciplined French.

Jimbo - Mick the Coo plays for the Warriors today in Newport btw. He looks very angry (Cross -geddit!!!!!) indeed in the photo on the official site !

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Feb - 10:54

Whether he gets a game or not Sj isn't going to suddenly parachute Welsh ahead of cross after his display yesterday.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 23 Feb - 10:56

I thought Cussiter was great, really nice zipped passes. I always preferred him to Blair if I'm honest as well. It's nice to see teams rediscovering the value of a scrummie who provides quick ball.

More generally, congrats Scotland, that team is far better than recent results have shown.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Feb - 10:57

The Coo is SQ in July.  Yahoo 
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun 23 Feb - 11:30

Interesting stat of the day

Dunbar has scored 3 tries in 6 appearances for scotland  thumbsup 

and 3 tries in 52 appearances for Glasgow.  picard

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Feb - 11:35

After all the abuse we've given him, I think Johnson is due an 8 out of 10 for yesterday.

His selections are still doubtful, but his decisions during the game really helped get us the win.

It was a big decision to sub off Low before half time and it probably saved us going down to 14 men.

Likewise Scotland were a much better team in the 2nd half and his timing of the Cusiter, Denton, Dickinson and Evans subs was particularly apt.

Finally, his decision not to sub off Lawson and the 2nd rows was also a good one.

So credit where credit is due!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 23 Feb - 11:46

Probably a 7 for Lamont but I'd agree.

Denton > Wilson, Cusiter > Laidlaw, Cross > Low. (J Gray > Swinson)

Max Evans for Seymour?  chin

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 23 Feb - 11:50

Three points from me:

1. Scotland should be beating Italy. So achieving a 1 points margin of victory, with a team selection that still isn't right, is not an 8/10 performance for SJ in my book.

2. Richie Gray was huge, and my clear MOTM. I give SJ zero credit for picking him, because he should have been starting all along from the beginning of the tournament. His performance made SJ look a complete fool for leaving him out against England.

3. Let's stick with Weir, Scott and Dunbar for the foreseeable future. There is real potential with that trio.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 23 Feb - 11:52

I think SJ deserves credit for playing basic rugby at the lineout & picking Lawson, HOWEVER, why could we not have made these changes earlier for vs England? And I think there are some changes still to make to this side (Wilson, Laidlaw and Low).

And also, all credit to Italy etc, but we only won by 1 point. Just. For a lot of the time our attack was a bit blunt.

I think his comment "This is a work in progress, this team. In 24 months you'll all thank me for the work that's going on, trust me" is too much.

We need to focus now for a big game vs France. A win vs Italy was the minimum coming into this competition. We need a good performance and close result vs France.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 23 Feb - 11:54

Re all the discussion about Hogg, I think his kicking talent shows how useful he is at FB. TBH, his technique is slightly slow I fear for FH and with the talent at centre I feel he's best used at FB.

Dunbar's second try to me shows the impact Cusiter brings. Pace and support. He was integral to our win.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun 23 Feb - 12:00

One area of concern was in defence. It was way too soft. every time italy forwards did a pick and go they made easy yards whereas our forwards didnt (and dont)

this needs to sorted out asap

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 23 Feb - 13:18

Hogg is best deployed at 15. His pace and ability to counterattack is invaluable, and his long punting was excellent yesterday. We should give Weir more time at 10. He's still very new to the role for Scotland and three games is not enough time to judge.

I think Weir, Scott and Dunbar should be given plenty time together. Chopping and changing isn't going to help us, and I think Visser and Maitland coming back will help towards converting our chances.

I'm a big fan of Laidlaw, but he's holding the team back at the moment. We need a quicker and sharper service to get the ball into the hands of the backs sooner. Cusiter should start the last two matches, with Weir taking over the goal kicking. Laidlaw on the bench. Edinburgh need to get Hart, H-C and Kennedy playing as much as possible. I don't rate Pyrgos.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Feb - 13:26

Hart was apparently very good against the Scarlets last night (although the result was a bummer).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Feb - 15:25

Highlights are up of the Edinburgh Scarlets game - Hart did look very good, and we scored some nice stuff, but let in some soft tries.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 23 Feb - 15:32

RDW_Scotland wrote:After all the abuse we've given him, I think Johnson is due an 8 out of 10 for yesterday.

His selections are still doubtful, but his decisions during the game really helped get us the win.

It was a big decision to sub off Low before half time and it probably saved us going down to 14 men.

Likewise Scotland were a much better team in the 2nd half and his timing of the Cusiter, Denton, Dickinson and Evans subs was particularly apt.

Finally, his decision not to sub off Lawson and the 2nd rows was also a good one.

So credit where credit is due!

Very much agree with this, he took the big calls that a good coach need to make in this game, that was a big part of our winning. Yes we should be beating Italy, but it is never a gimme, remember they beat France and Ireland last year and looked a lot more solid than us in the first 2 games.

We did not play well in the first two games, but after watching the Eng v Ire game yesterday you would have to say that both those teams are light years ahead of us at the moment and we would not likely have won even playing well. There may be another win out there this year yet, both France and wales have flattered to deceive so far and both are beatable if everything else lines up. I agree with SJ as well that this team is a work in progress and we have got to let it develop. Some things are coming together well, especially the centre partnership, the line out was such an improvement as well. We would have been beaten in the first two games whoever we had picked.

As I have said before, nothing was ever going to change on the coaching front till the summer and the disharmony in the squad was not nearly as bad as was being suggested, if bad at all. They all looked pretty together yesterday. Some of the most criticised players, Hamilton and Lamont in particular had really good games.

The team still needs a few tweaks though, tight head and SH in particular. Evans is putting in a pretty persuasive case to start as well, though I imagine his role these days is going to be more on the bench. He seems to fill that role well though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 23 Feb - 16:49

Yes yes yes - all very well and good but what about the Kelly Brown/John Barclay situation ? Brown put in another impressive shift (at 7?) for Saracens earlier. Barcs played last night for 80mins but not sure how he did. Needs fixed as does tight head and scrum half. Does Clown Johnson have the cojones to bag Laidlaw as well ?

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 23 Feb - 19:02

I just watched the game again and both Fusaro and Wilson had pretty good games, both are going to play again against the French.

I must say I do struggle with the constant shouts to bring back Barclay. He coasted in the Scotland shirt for many years with no real competition. Pretty much everyone last year felt he was being outplayed at Glasgow by Fusaro. If he had not got injured then he would most likely have debuted last year.

Brown continues to play well and Rennie looks like he is getting a good run of games down in Bristol and is hopefully rebuilding his form and fitness. He is the man at the end of the day if he is fit and hopefully will be on the summer tour. There is actually some pretty good competition for the seven shirt though. If Barclay keeps playing consistently well, he will get back in the mix. Brown has not played his last game for Scotland either, but I don't think he will be the captain again.

At no.6 there are options as well. Low is playing well at LI,and seems to have nailed down the starting spot there, he will tour in the summer as well. Harley, Beattie, Denton, they are all queuing up. The back row really is an area of strength for us just now.

I agree about Laidlaw though, the bench at best and it would not bother me if he drops out of the squad. We are never going to get our backline moving without quick ball and he is just not giving us that. SJ to have a word in his ear and send him off to practice it. You could see the look in his face when he was hooked on Saturday, he knew he had messed up that last ruck by not getting it away

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun 23 Feb - 20:37

Agree with all that. is grayson hart a potential candidate for the sh position.? Havent really seen him mysel lf much but reports are quite good...

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 23 Feb - 20:47

He's quick, stocky and physical, but importantly focuses on the basics: digging the ball out and getting it away.

I do rate Greg Laidlaw, he's a proper little fighter, but given that Edinburgh have Hart, H-C and Kennedy on the books I would suggest that Laidlaw find a club down south. I'd put him in the Ross Ford category. I think a move would do him good, and I'm sure with his goal kicking there would be plenty clubs interested. He was epic in the win for Edinburgh against Munster in the HC this season, both with his goal kicking but also his general play. Certainly not a man to discard, but I would like to see others given a shot in the summer.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Feb - 20:58

He can play a much quicker game - he's shown that both with Edinburgh and Scotland - but he really did slow things down a lot

Whether ir is team tactics or his own ideas, it really wasn't working.

We all know that any 9 coming off the bench pretty much always speeds up a game, but Cusiter really made a massive difference against a tiring opposition.

Can he do that from the start of a game against an organised abd energetic defence? Would he be better served as an impact player?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 23 Feb - 21:03

It's a good point re: impact at 9, always easier to come off the bench and look sharper. However you cut it though Laidlaw is not in great form. Partly down to the forwards producing messy ball, but he's had his head in the clouds at times, which I think we'd all agree is out of character. His rugby brain is usually sharp as a tack.

He'll probably suffer the curse of the Scotland captaincy. It's not an arm band you'd want these days!

Given the way we play, I'd really like one of the two pacy options we have, H-C or Kennedy, progress into the Scotland squad. Having real speed off the mark at 9 could really help us.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 23 Feb - 21:07

I've rated weir in the past, but as you say, aside from the steely nerve to lay down that crucial drop goal he had an off night.

He blew a two on one, and then committed the cardinal sin of trying to make the pass he should've given earlier after he was tackled. He looked jumpy and his decision making was nervous.

I think he will grow from the experience and the confidence he will have acquired from the match winning play will be invaluable in the future.

Hamilton started with a roar, but he needs to be replaced at 50 minutes because he faded badly.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 23 Feb - 21:11

funnyExiledScot wrote:
3. Let's stick with Weir, Scott and Dunbar for the foreseeable future. There is real potential with that trio.

I agree.

I think Weir has done enough to retain the shirt. Its not as if we had much choice otherwise. Particularly good drop goal tho. The pack had not got him very close

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Feb - 21:31

Couple of stars I just read on Jonathan Davie's article on the BBC - Matt Scott was our top ball carrier and Richie Gray the top tackler. Shows that Gray is more than just a show pony that stands in the backline!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 23 Feb - 21:50

Weir only kicked 3 times and passed 30? Thats only 8 kicks from our halfbacks? Looking at the stats the backs got a lot of ball. Weir also 7 runs for 41 m 2nd most metres after Dunbar

http://www.espn.co.uk/six-nations-2014/rugby/match/180671.html

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Feb - 21:55

Those stats are quite strange to see - fusaro only 4 tackles, Matt Scott only 3?

Didn't realise Weir missed 4 tackles!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 24 Feb - 9:49

We are going to look like muppets if we ditch another captain in this 6N. Laidlaw I think should stay but be given room to play his game.

The way he is playing doesn't look natural to him.

What I will say is what a difference a working set piece makes.

Winning our own lineout and scrums helped the entire team. We knew by securing our set piece we would get a chance to attack. We had no such assurances in the other game and hence looked desperate when we had the ball.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 24 Feb - 11:30

Firstly, a win is a win. Woop woop as they say

I don't want to pish on the parade but I really hope this win does not paper over the cracks!

England and Ireland are by far the better teams in the 6ns this year and they are the teams that humped us. I shall therefore reserve judgement until we have played wales and france.

I'm just concerned that a one point victory over a stuttering Italy is being slightest trumpted about too much

Although it was a far far better performance from everyone in the match day sqaud (Low aside perhaps)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 24 Feb - 11:33

I wonder what we'd be saying if Weir had missed that DG?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 24 Feb - 11:43

My standouts were:

Lawson - was an animal all game.
Low - for being absolutely terrible.
Gray - why was he dropped? seriously?
Wilson - looked weak for a 6, considering you have the likes of Brown/Strokosch/Denton....
Fusaro - Not a scratch on Barclay/Rennie. both flankers were poor imo.
Weir- strictly limited.
scott/dunbar/lamont - all showed what they can bring to a poor backline (which in turn will take eyes off Hogg/Maitland)

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 24 Feb - 11:51

So after a second watch off the game and trying to watch a few key players some thoughts.  Firstly I hope the neutrals enjoyed it.  Two teams trying to play attacking rugby and the lead changing hands several times.  Good entertainment

A good battle at the breakdown helped by a not too picky approach from the ref who had a decent game apart from a couple of odd scrum pens.  Let the game flow and didn't make too many mistakes.

Scotland a much more varied attack with much less kicking.  Different backs taking the ball at first receiver and some good angles run- the main reason it looked toothless at times was good Italian defence

Weir - I thought he played quite well - not a match winning performance but remember how few caps he has.  He seems to be growing into the role well.  A great pass early on, made a couple of good breaks, some offloads, tackled Parrise more than once'  some fine touch kicks and no aimless kicking. He ran the attack really and was responsible for a lot of the variety - and then the bottle to get that kick - it wasn't an easy one.  His mistakes came by and large from pressure and either hospital passes to him or his "missed tackles" was actually 'cos he did really well to get anywhere near  7/8

Ritchie Gray - more than justified his selection.  Looked absolute class hitting rucks and making tackles as well as some hard yards and some good ball skills.  8

Laidlaw - looked indecisive at times but didn't kick away the ball all the time and made some nice passes.  Still would start Cus who came on played really well, Hogg bit of a mixed bag but some fine kicks, came into the line looking for work and took some ball at first receiver either to kick or to run.  Centres all played well and Shlong - bust a gut and tried his best and much of it worked - but even performances like this I find it hard to accept his glacial slowness and inability to pass  Very Happy Lovely kick from Scot Lawson to clear the lines.  All in all a much better performance stemming in large part from 10 clean lineout wins plus a couple of steals and some good breakdown work.  Beattie played well as did Denton when he came on.  Second half especially I thought Scotlands line speed and aggressive defence looked much better  Some good turnovers won.

Discipline cost us.  I don't think we can really argue with the penalty count.

Then Johnson - Very good use of substitutions and I guess his decision to alter the play and not to kick so much. Still a clown but he did get this right.

Italy - looked well organised. Tried to play attacking rugby, very disciplined. They will fell this is one that got away. A decent performance.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 24 Feb - 12:00

Nematode wrote:I wonder what we'd be saying if Weir had missed that DG?

One that got away and discipline and poor scrummage cost us?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 24 Feb - 12:03

Fun fact, according to ESPN, coming back from 10 points down makes Saturday our biggest ever comeback!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 24 Feb - 12:31

I actually don't think that we are getting ahead of ourselves. We can and should be pleased with the win but relief isn't optimism and SJ and the other clown car members know it. By the same token, we shouldn't suddenly be condescending about Italy - the same side recently beat Ireland and France and nobody apart from maybe England can be blase about a trip to Rome.

What's interesting is that even though we won - everybody essentially agrees that changes to the team are required for France. At the start of the tournament, I wouldn't have said that SJ was inclined to make them, but the talking mullet will be buoyed that the changes he made for the Italy game were the correct ones.

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 24 Feb - 12:44

My ratings :

Grant - 6
Still not convinced. I would start Dickinson against France.

Lawson - 9
Pick of the forwards. What a great effort.

Low - 5
Felt he was harshly dealt with by the Ref TBH. Not at fault as much as was suggested.

Gray - 8
Excellent

Hamilton - 7
Clean game for Hamilton, ran the lineout well and stole some ball from Italy.

Wilson - 6
Still not a 6, but he did have a decent game.

Fusaro - 6
Got a decent turnover but still seems a bit of a light weight.

Beattie - 8
Had a very good game. Tackled well, carried well and bossed the pack a bit too.

Laidlaw - 6
Captained the side well but starting to think he is being over coached. Doesn't normally play so poorly in the pro12.

Weir - 7
Great effort from the prop pretending to be a fly half.

Lamont - 6
Far better than his poor games against Ireland and England but still not an international class winger.

Scott - 7
Really created a lot of Space for Dunbar, Lamont and the backrow to hammer into.

Dunbar - 9
Pick of the backs, tackled well and made some scything runs, well taken 2 tries too.

Seymour - 5
Anonnymous

Hogg - 6
Kicked well at times but took to much on himself.

Subs
Dickinson - 7
Got to start him over Grant

Cross - 7
Got to start him over Lowe.

Denton - 7
Huge physical presence again. I was silently sulking since we finished a game with 3 number 8s again, but since we held onto the ball so well we had no real use for a tackling or turnover specialist.

Cusiter - 7
Had a great game and I would be tempted to start him against France, however I'm weary that Parra may be back and we'll look like a bunch of Fudds if we bin another captain.

Taylor - 6
Anonnymous

Evans - 7
I'd start him instead of Lamont.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 24 Feb - 12:54

Weir - 7
 Very Happy 

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 24 Feb - 12:56

TJ wrote:
Weir - 7
 Very Happy 

Back when I played I could bang over drop goals like that too.  Whistle 
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 24 Feb - 13:00

He will grow in confidence from that which should make him the better player.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 24 Feb - 13:21

The other good thing about Weir is he has a running game - 7 runs for 41 m and he wasn't kick returning. One really good break where he blew the scoring pass but he did slip. When did we last have a 10 with a running game?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 24 Feb - 13:45

Bugger me, this acid trip is intense! Shocked 
The Guardian wrote:New JK Rowling story tells of wizards' support for Scottish rugby
The Six Nations contenders revealed to have dedicated supporters among the wizarding community

Scotland may have received help from an unexpected corner in its dramatic win against Italy in the Six Nations on Saturday: JK Rowling has revealed in a new story why "it is considered infra dig for wizards to support any rugby team other than Scotland".

Ever since the 19th century, writes Rowling on her website Pottermore, the worldwide wizarding community has thrown its support behind the Scottish rugby team, even though they are forbidden to take part in "Muggle" sports themselves. In a rare appearance on Twitter, Rowling also urged her nearly three million followers to "help keep this noble tradition alive by tweeting #wizards4scotlandrugbyteam before #6nations Scotland v Italy", adding: "Wizards worldwide support the Scottish rugby team. It's an old magical tradition."

"The wizarding world's affection for the Scottish rugby team is all the more bizarre because a substantial part of wizarding society knows nothing about Muggle sports, which they regard as inherently dull and even silly," she writes in her new story on Pottermore. "Yet the Scottish rugby team has become a wizarding meme – part in-joke, part genuine interest – which has its roots in the 19th century and is a tale both sad and uplifting."

Cricket, on the other hand, is widely ridiculed by wizards. "As the chief sports writer in the Daily Prophet wrote in 1902: 'a Beater who is unable to fly defends three sticks instead of a hoop, while a Snitch without wings is thrown at the sticks. That's it. Sometimes for several days'. Rugby held more appeal," writes Rowling. "Wizards could not help but admire the strength and courage of Muggles prepared to engage in a sport so brutal, without recourse to Disapparating out of the way, or access to Skele-Gro to repair broken bones. It must be admitted that there was an edge of sadism to some wizards' enjoyment."

Her story tells of the "squib" – "a wizard-born child with no magical powers" – Angus Buchanan, born in the mid-19th century, who was cast out at the age of 11 by his family. Large, strong and fast, he took up rugby, and ended up playing for Scotland in the first ever international rugby match, Rowling writes. After he published the worldwide bestseller My Life as a Squib, he "became world-famous among wizards whilst also being celebrated among Muggles, a hitherto unknown achievement", and "wizards of many nationalities began turning up to watch him play sport".

Today, "discussing Scottish rugby has become one of several covert identifiers for wizards meeting in front of Muggles and seeking to establish each other's credentials", while the Wizarding Supporters of Scottish Rugby Union "meet on the eve of every Scottish international match to toast Angus's memory and anticipate a happy 80 minutes of watching Muggles trample each other into the mud".

"The International Statute of Secrecy expressly forbids wizards to participate in Muggle sport, but there is nothing illegal in supporting a Muggle side," writes Rowling. "However, the WSSRU has often had to deny the persistent rumour that its secret mission is to smuggle a talented Squib on to every Scottish team. Current suspects include Kelly Brown (possible cousin of Lavender's), Jim Hamilton (strong resemblance to Hagrid) and Stuart Hogg (enough said)."

The magical support clearly worked: Scotland snatched victory from Italy with a last-minute drop goal from Duncan Weir, winning the match 20-21 on Saturday.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/24/jk-rowling-story-wizards-support-scottish-rugby

"Does anyone want to buy my shirt?? I'll trade you my shirt for some grilled cheese!?"
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next