The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland player ratings

+3
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
7 posters

Go down

Scotland player ratings Empty Scotland player ratings

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 18 Mar 2012, 9:37 am

From Scotland on Sunday:

15 STUART HOGG - 5

Missed tackle for the Italian try and though he caught well and tried to provide a spark from the back, was resigned to brief spells on ball.

14 MAX EVANS - 6

The winger came looking for ball, was the liveliest back and defended well, but made no real headway going forward.

13 NICK DE LUCA - 4

Lively presence in attack and defence early on, but a second needless yellow card of the championship stiffened Scots’ task.

12 GRAEME MORRISON - 6

Strong in defence and strived to provide lead with uncompromising runs, but frustration was clear when embroiled in a first-half spat.

11 SEAN LAMONT - 5

Rarely viewed in the game as attempts to bring him into play were brief as Scotland gave up possession all too frequently.

10 GREIG LAIDLAW - 5

Struggled throughout to make headway in attack, with Scotland losing possession too easily, so lacked territory and control.

9 MIKE BLAIR - 5

Beavered away without really finding any incision and struggled to maintain momentum as Scottish attack ran aground too easily.

1 JON WELSH - 7

A sudden debut for the Glasgow loosehead after Allan Jacobsen sprained ankle in the warm-up, but a good one with some great scrums.

2 ROSS FORD (captain) - 4

The hooker’s chief role is to provide good lineout ball and lineout was shocking so for all his effort elsewhere it was a game to forget.

3 GEOFF CROSS - 6

Worked hard in the scrum with some good results and great drives, and also toiled in defence, so one of few good spots.

4 RICHIE GRAY - 5

Lock lacked opportunity to make his usual galloping runs and while he defended stoutly he lacked influence.

5 JIM HAMILTON - 4

One of the big lock’s poorest games as the lineout malfunctioned and a series of penalties cost him ten minutes in the sin-bin.

6 JOHN BARCLAY - 5

Like his team-mates he worked hard in defence, but struggled to see much daylight going forward.

7 ROSS RENNIE - 6

Another tireless display and hard stint at the breakdown and in defence but with mixed results.

8 DAVID DENTON - 6

The forward (below) toiled manfully, was good defensively and provided lead going forward in a tough battle, but was guilty of losing ball too.

Take 1-2 off every player and I think you have it about right

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland player ratings Empty Re: Scotland player ratings

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:26 am

Welsh did really well against Castogiovanni and this just demonstrates what everyone has been saying - that he should be in the 22 and Jacobsen should not. Ford was abysmal. Hamilton was abysmal. De Luca was doing ok defensively then lost it and was carded -a prat ! Evans was very poor and in no way deserves a 6. Hogg was better. Mike Blair did well given the lack of support. Laidlaw was dreadful and cannot kick for territory when required. Why the hell Robinson had Jackson on the bench when Weir could have done just that shows what a total numpty Robinson actually is. Backrow toiled manfully to no avail.

See the Sunday Herald's ratings and the Chick Chalmers column too !

Overall 1/10 - no passion and no effort Welsh, Denton and Blair excepted.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 18 Mar 2012, 5:20 pm

Agreed ASBO, those player ratings could certainly be lower in some cases.

Yes, Welsh did well in the scrum, but was nowhere to be seen in the loose. Ford's worst game for a very long time. Denton tried, but made a couple of naive bursts getting isolated.

I could go on but I won't. It was the worst Scotland performance for a decade. Not a single attack in the Italy 22. Pathetic.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun 18 Mar 2012, 5:28 pm

What annoys me most with De Luca yesterday is that he was arguably our best back on the pitch until his utter feckwittery. His blitz defence was preventing the ball getting anywhere near Italy's outside backs and he looked alright when he got what little ball wasnt aimlessly hoofed away in an attempt to gain territory that never materialised.

Still, He should never wear a Scotland shirt again for that, with Ansbro being first choice and Grove back up.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 18 Mar 2012, 5:51 pm

I think we're all being slightly harsh on De Luca actually.

You're right, he was the only back to turn up and whilst his attempt to disrupt their possession was pretty silly in light of the stern prior warning from the useless Rolland, the French on numerous occassions did exactly the same to Mike Phillips and weren't penalised at all.

Before the yellow card, he was having a very strong defensive game, and was looking up for it. Morrison could easily have been yellow carded for his silly off the ball antics which were even more pointless than NDL's transgression. The only real difference was that NDL was caught. The other difference is that NDL has talent and ability, whereas Morrison, for all his "Braveheart" passion and endeavour, is completely devoid of talent. He is a one track battering ram. This has its place in club rugby, and he's an important weapon for Glasgow, but in the international arena it's completely limiting.

We should not yet discard NDL. He is a talented outside centre, and one of the form backs for Edinburgh this season. Put him in a side that can actually attack with structure and get players moving into half gaps, and De Luca is a class act. I'd certainly look to use Ansbro when he gets back, I think Scott and Ansbro could be really good together, but we don't have enough talent yet to be able to categorically rule out NDL.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 18 Mar 2012, 8:30 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think we're all being slightly harsh on De Luca actually.

You're right, he was the only back to turn up and whilst his attempt to disrupt their possession was pretty silly in light of the stern prior warning from the useless Rolland, the French on numerous occassions did exactly the same to Mike Phillips and weren't penalised at all.

Before the yellow card, he was having a very strong defensive game, and was looking up for it. Morrison could easily have been yellow carded for his silly off the ball antics which were even more pointless than NDL's transgression. The only real difference was that NDL was caught. The other difference is that NDL has talent and ability, whereas Morrison, for all his "Braveheart" passion and endeavour, is completely devoid of talent. He is a one track battering ram. This has its place in club rugby, and he's an important weapon for Glasgow, but in the international arena it's completely limiting.

We should not yet discard NDL. He is a talented outside centre, and one of the form backs for Edinburgh this season. Put him in a side that can actually attack with structure and get players moving into half gaps, and De Luca is a class act. I'd certainly look to use Ansbro when he gets back, I think Scott and Ansbro could be really good together, but we don't have enough talent yet to be able to categorically rule out NDL.
Not sure, fES, I promised de Luca one more chance and I'm afraid his mind-blowing stupidity has blown it. We aren't good enough to be able to play 14vs15, so for that reason alone, he's had his chance, I'm afraid Doh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm

NDL is a connundrum. I have not seen the game nor will I, I don't have the stomach to endure 80 minutes of bish bash bosh rugby where we barely threaten an Italian team who were bashed by France, Wales and Ireland.

From what I gather Rolland again was insisting on himself by carding anything that moved (3 YCs in a game seems extreme).

I find it hard to defend NDL's position but from what I hear everyone was rubbish and his Yellow Card asside he played quite well?

How did Cuthbert get on btw?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:38 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote: The only real difference was that NDL was caught. .

No the real difference was it took effort, twisting and a pre-meditated idiocy to manage to stretch that far to kick the ball out of the scrum halfs hands right in front of the ref

Was one of the most mind bendling unbelievable ridiculous thing I have ever seen - it is what I would expect a 10 year old to do - not an international rugby player

I emphasis a TEN year old

Grrrr

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 20 Mar 2012, 6:49 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Scored a cracking try...

oh THAT Cuthbert! didnt get on the pitch.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 20 Mar 2012, 6:51 pm

I have to confess that when i started reading the i thought the marks were all minus' due to the - being used Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 20 Mar 2012, 6:55 pm

Should have been Billy.

Anyone see the 2 excellent letters in today's Herald sport section re the demise of Scotland and Scottish rugby ? Well done Davis Stubley and David Campbell - summed it up really - our game is run by incompetents - top to bottom !

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 20 Mar 2012, 7:26 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:NDL is a connundrum.

A 'conundrum wrapped up in an enigma' even?! The boy has all the talent, we see it at club level, I just don't get the completely unnecessary brain farting he does at international level - sometimes I think he is just trying too hard.

Cuthbert warmed up well, picked the splinters out of his harris in a convincing fashion, and quaffed the Chianti genteelly at the post-match dinner Doh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:10 am

I don't know wether it was courage or insanity, but I watched the highlights of the Scotland vs Italy game on the iPlayer last night.

WTF was DeLuca thinking? He was at full stretch to kick that ball, go go Gadget legs style. What an absolute mungo.

Inexcusable and despite being the only tried and tested international 13 we have displays like that cannot go unpunished. Ansbro, Cairns, Houston or if Bennet gets some experience under his belt should be selected above NDL. Idiocy like that is hard to defend, even for me.

From the looks of the highlights, Hogg had a wee break from our own half in the 2nd half but is that all we coulc conjour in attack?

Desperate stuff. Sad
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:13 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Should have been Billy.
Anyone see the 2 excellent letters in today's Herald sport section re the demise of Scotland and Scottish rugby ? Well done Davis Stubley and David Campbell - summed it up really - our game is run by incompetents - top to bottom !

Nah, that would be a bit harsh on the players to be honest. They did the best they could with an almost non existent gameplan from their coach.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 21 Mar 2012, 1:51 pm

Radge - Houston? Seriously an option for Scotland at 13? Personally I'd rather have NDL for 70 minutes per match!!

Your point about one individual burst from Hogg being the only attack is a far far bigger issue than NDLs two yellow cards. Even when you consider the tries we have scored, only really the Lee Jones try could be considered a team effort (great steal, through the hands and finished nicely). Laidlaw's first effort was a scrappy touch down, Hogg's score against France came about after a move had broken down and Laidlaw was sharp enough to attack down the blind, and Richie Gray pretty much thundered over on his own (although I'm sure Townsend will take credit).

I know none of us need to hear this again, but we really are performing below the sum of our parts. Talents individuals basically playing off the script in an attempt to forge something. Anything from the Townsend coaching manual only seems to move sideways towards the inevitable turnover.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:11 pm

You know me FES I'm normally NDL's strongest supporter, but a rap on the knuckles and a stint on the naughty step is not enough for me after 2 absolute howlers (Against Wales and now Italy).

I think NDL is the best 13 we have but we can't have him doing stupid things like that every couple of games.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 21 Mar 2012, 2:22 pm

Agreed - naughty step is the right place for him, and will send the right message to the other players in the squad.

Perhaps the most annoying thing about the YCs was that they were totally uncalled for. I can understand YCs coming under pressure, and in some cases to prevent a certain try, but neither were in that category, and neither was Max Evans' against Ireland.

As a squad we have to be a whole lot smarter in almost every department, and that includes tactical decision making as well, perhaps in particular. When we had the ball in the last 10 minutes against Italy you could have been forgiven for thinking that we were the side in front and trying to run the clock down!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down