The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ECB Statement on Kevin Pietersen

+11
alfie
It Must Be Love
Dorothy_Mantooth
KP_fan
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
msp83
Hoggy_Bear
Mike Selig
guildfordbat
kingraf
Sangakkara
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ECB Statement on Kevin Pietersen - Page 2 Empty ECB Statement on Kevin Pietersen

Post by Sangakkara Sun 09 Feb 2014, 8:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

So the ECB have released their long awaited statement on the Pietersen "sacking". I think it is welcome, and the right thing to do on their part.

It has been a matter of great frustration that until now the England and Wales Cricket Board has been unable to respond to the unwarranted and unpleasant criticism of England players and the ECB itself, which has provided an unwelcome backdrop to the recent negotiations to release Kevin Pietersen from his central contract.

Those negotiations have been successfully concluded and whilst both parties remain bound by confidentiality provisions the ECB would like to make the following comments.

The ECB recognises the significant contribution Kevin has made to England teams over the last decade. He has played some of the finest innings ever produced by an England batsman.

However, the England team needs to rebuild after the whitewash in Australia. To do that we must invest in our captain Alastair Cook and we must support him in creating a culture in which we can be confident he will have the full support of all players, with everyone pulling in the same direction and able to trust each other. It is for those reasons that we have decided to move on without Kevin Pietersen.

Following the announcement of that decision, allegations have been made, some from people outside cricket, which as well as attacking the rationale of the ECB’s decision-making, have questioned, without justification, the integrity of the England Team Director and some of England’s players.

Clearly what happens in the dressing room or team meetings should remain in that environment and not be distributed to people not connected with the team. This is a core principle of any sports team, and any such action would constitute a breach of trust and team ethics.

Whilst respecting that principle, it is important to stress that Andy Flower, Alastair Cook and Matt Prior, who have all been singled out for uninformed and unwarranted criticism, retain the total confidence and respect of all the other members of the Ashes party.

These are men who care deeply about the fortunes of the England team and its image, and it is ironic that they were the people who led the reintegration of Kevin Pietersen into the England squad in 2012.

As for the decision, I've moved somewhat towards ECB's side of things, but I still have reservations.

Whilst I agree that if a player loses his respect for the captain and is no longer "pulling in the same direction" to the point of being disruptive then they should absolutely be cut away from the side, regardless of talent.

However, it very much depends on what is defined as a loss of "respect" or a failure to "pull in the same direction".

If the mere questioning of the tactics or captaincy within a forum that was designed to air grievances free from judgement, whilst 4-0 down in a series, is seen as a lack of respect then I feel this England set-up is doomed to continued failure. The captain needs to listen to the team. The team NEEDS a dissenting voice when there are problems that need addressing. And in Australia there were copious!  

If, though, a line was crossed and Pietersen's contribution to that meeting was genuinely disrespectful, or personal, then of course he had to go. Particularly given the murky water that has already passed under the bridge. (What is "uninformed and unwarranted"? Hopefully different to "unwanted")

I know KP's no angel, and the latter is incredibly likely to be the actual scenario. I just think England and Cook should be incredibly careful with what precedent they will be setting here - and I guess the other players who were in that dressing room are the only people who will ever know what that precedent is.

If it is one where those players feel they can no longer speak up, then this is a disaster. If it is one that simply sets standards of acceptable feedback then I'm all for it.

What are people's thoughts on this reasonably strong statement?

Any changed or affirmed opinions?

Sangakkara

Back to top Go down

ECB Statement on Kevin Pietersen - Page 2 Empty Re: ECB Statement on Kevin Pietersen

Post by kingraf Tue 11 Feb 2014, 2:08 pm

Alternatively, Guilford, assuming it was an ultimatum launched by Cook - do you chuck away your captain, who by the way averages nearly ten runs more than KP since the turn of the decade, for KP? That choir boy who doubles up as your best batsman, opener, slipper and supposedly captain or the eternal headache with time not on his side, and a relatively poor record? I'm sure it took the ECB a good two minutes to work it out. .
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

ECB Statement on Kevin Pietersen - Page 2 Empty Re: ECB Statement on Kevin Pietersen

Post by skyeman Tue 11 Feb 2014, 2:38 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
kingraf wrote:Clive Woodward comments highlight a rather strange thought. The captain shouldn't pick the team? Should the coach also make the bowling changes? Stand in the slips?

Unless we start allowing transmitters where the coach can tell the captain what to do, I can't understand how letting the man in the middle, who has to decide who does what. or who has to bowl the death overs when things haven't gone in accordance with the prophecy, is from a bygone era. This isn't rugby.

Its worth pointing out that SCW has become a professional poo-pooer now. His record post 2003 as a leading "sports expert" has been pretty appalling. Even in rugby matters Im beginning to find his opinions increasingly irrelevant.

thumbsup 

He does seem to have a press related opinion on everything from global warming to whiskey distillery. A jack of all trades, but a master of one!!

Is he a press go to?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 11 Feb 2014, 4:44 pm

Regards to the statement, i agree, much of the same. We already knew KP could not be trusted.

ECB please get a better PR team!

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:02 pm

I see Colingwood made the assistant coach for the T20 world cup and WI.....means simply Giles on his way out to me.

Fraser named selector also

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/26162900
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:05 pm

KP_fan wrote:I see Colingwood made the assistant coach for the T20 world cup and WI.....means simply Giles on his way out to me.

Why?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:11 pm

skyeman wrote:
KP_fan wrote:I see Colingwood made the assistant coach for the T20 world cup and WI.....means simply Giles on his way out to me.

Why?

weird question

i didn't choose them as selector or coach
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:22 pm

KP_fan wrote:
skyeman wrote:

Why?

weird question

Have you been drinking?

From that article. Why would Giles be on his way out?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 12 Feb 2014, 8:03 pm

skyeman wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
skyeman wrote:

Why?

weird question

Have you been drinking?

see the underlined " means to me".....after reading the article that is my inference

why my inference he is on his way out?

1) He openly wanted KP and radically opposite of his view, KP was gone.....means that he is not among those whose opinion matters ( anymore)

2) His results have been atrocious

3) and slipping is an assitant coach when 1) and 2) are applicable simply implies " he is being eased out with a handover for minimum disruption"

you are well conversan  t with effects of drinking ... Shocked
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Feb 2014, 8:13 pm

KP_fan wrote:
skyeman wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
skyeman wrote:

Why?

weird question

Have you been drinking?

see the underlined " means to me".....after reading the article that is my inference

why my inference  he is on his way out?

1) He  openly wanted KP and radically opposite of his view, KP was gone.....means that he is not among those whose opinion matters ( anymore)

2) His results have been atrocious

3) and slipping is an assitant  coach when 1) and 2) are applicable simply implies " he is being eased out with a handover for minimum disruption"

you are well conversan  t with effects of drinking ... Shocked

All laughable, Giles will be in charge of all three formats come April, sadly Sad 

I want Lehmann Very Happy  He can turn a rabble into a team with belief and spirit Wink KP fan, in diddly squat time.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 12 Feb 2014, 8:15 pm

skyeman wrote:All laughable, Giles will be in charge of all three formats come April, sadly Sad

I want Lehmann Very Happy He can turn a rabble into a team with belief and spirit Wink KP fan, in diddly squat time.

Hmm.....I thouhgt so at one time...not since they fired KP....and also at the same time Eng lost ODIs and T2os
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Feb 2014, 8:30 pm

KP_fan wrote:
skyeman wrote:All laughable, Giles will be in charge of all three formats come April, sadly Sad

I want Lehmann Very Happy  He can turn a rabble into a team with belief and spirit Wink KP fan, in diddly squat time.

Hmm.....I thouhgt so at one time...not since they fired KP....and also at the same time Eng lost  ODIs and T2os

Nah with Giles aggreeing with the board to out KP after his "worth a million" statement, that sadly seals our fate.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2