The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kevin Pietersen Makes U-Turn

+5
ShankyCricket
Corporalhumblebucket
chrisss
Shelsey93
Duty281
9 posters

Go down

Kevin Pietersen Makes U-Turn Empty Kevin Pietersen Makes U-Turn

Post by Duty281 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 8:36 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/572361.html

Kevin Pietersen has sensationally opened the door for an England comeback in limited-overs international cricket, admitting he would "love to play for another three or four years in all forms of cricket."

It is understood that Pietersen's representative privately met ECB officials to discuss a return on Thursday night. Pietersen is also thought to have met Hugh Morris, the managing director of England cricket, earlier in the week.

Asked whether negotiations into his England return in all three forms of the game were ongoing, Pietersen replied: "I think so."

Pietersen did not disguise his discontent with the way he has been managed by England, matters that would surely have to be resolved if he was to make a smooth return into the England side.

He complained that he had "never been looked after" by the England management and insisted that his schedule would have to be eased before he consented to a return.

Pietersen, speaking moments after he finished the third day of Surrey's Championship match at Guildford unbeaten on 234, reiterated his desire to be included in England's World Twenty20 squad in Sri Lanka in September.

The selectors meet this weekend to pick a 30-man preliminary squad for the tournament and must submit it to the ICC on July 18. England enter the tournament as defending champions.

Pietersen retired from limited-overs international cricket at the end of May. While he wanted only to retire from the 50-over game and to continue to play T20 cricket, the terms of England central contracts state that for a player to be considered for either format of limited-overs cricket, they must be available for both.

"I've always said I want to play in the T20," Pietersen said. "But I needed to get away from the schedule. I cannot keep playing every single day's cricket. I've never been looked after. I cannot keep playing every warm-up game, I cannot keep practising every single day. There comes a time when I know what I need to do to be successful. I've got a young family and I cannot be on the treadmill all day every day.

"I've said before that, if the schedule was right, if they could sort my schedule out, I would love to play for another three or four years in all forms of cricket. But the schedule at the moment is a nightmare."

Morris was an influential figure when Pietersen lost his job as England captain more than three years ago after a breakdown in his relationship with England's coach at the time, Peter Moores, broke down. Moores was also sacked.

England's unease will be all the greater because Andy Flower, England's director of cricket, has referred to similar tensions in balancing his professional and personal life because of the proliferation of international cricket.

Yep, KP may play in all 3 forms of the game for England again in an incredible change of heart. I would love if he came back to the ODI or T20 fold but only if he was 100% committed. Your thoughts?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Kevin Pietersen Makes U-Turn Empty Re: Kevin Pietersen Makes U-Turn

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 8:43 pm

I was about to post that Very Happy

A very interesting article from George Dobell, who tends not to write utter tripe.

The quote, in whatever context, pretty much suggests that a u-turn could happen.

If that is the case it probably confirms my suspicions that 1/ There was a deeper conflict than was being let on 2/ KP can be exceptionally selfish (rightly or wrongly).

If he were to make a comeback it means yet another re-think of plans - can you possibly now exclude Bell from the ODI side? Does Trott become under threat? It could also quite possibly see him getting his own way and playing T20s and minimal ODIs - I wouldn't like to see that; he should be rested in line with any other batsmen playing all three formats.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisss Fri 13 Jul 2012, 8:47 pm

Maybe he's been told that after the way the batsmen have performed in his absence, he wouldn't get into the ODI side, so by un-retiring he'd get what he wanted in the first place: to not play ODIs, but to play T20s...

chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 Jul 2012, 8:53 pm

Some good will have come from this chopping and changing if it helps to gain acceptance for the point that the totality of the test, ODIs, and T20 schedules is ridiculous from the point of view of any players, managers etc who are involved in all three forms.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 13 Jul 2012, 8:54 pm

Cant we change the heading of this article into

"KP does an Afridi" Very Happy

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 15 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

If KP in fact comes back to ODI cricket, who would have to make way?
KP and Cook were clicking as an ODI opening combination when he retired, and a stroke playing fast scoring opener is absolutely important for England when they face greater challenges other than a home ODI series in favorable conditions. So if KP has to come back, it has to be as an opener.
So does that mean dropping Ian Bell who made a fine come back to ODI cricket scoring terrific consistent runs? Bell's strike rate did suffer at times against Australia even when he put up the runs on the board. But the fact is that he did score consistent runs. Jonathan Trott, England's run machine in ODIs for the last year or so, on the other hand has had a bit of a struggle maintaining the same level of consistent over the last few months. Ravi Bopara has had decent success against the Australians, and unlike Bell or Trott, he can be a pretty useful bowling backup as well.
So as of now, unfortunately it has to be Trott who will have to give way for Pietersen and Bell will have to move down the order to 3 where he can provide the foundation for the innings. That would be more in line with his style of play as well.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 15 Jul 2012, 5:48 pm

was gonna post this- jeasus- The odi team gets settled and he does this lol..

i had a feeling it would happen though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:46 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/574457.html

Tumbleweed picard

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 29 Jul 2012, 7:10 am

KP offered to take back his retirement in lieu of being granted an IPL window.....

Which means he wants to skip that part of the NZ series that coincides with IPL.

It appeared from ECB's comments in response to KP's offer......that KP's special status won't be accepted but KP may not accept a central contract due renewal October this year

Last edited by KP_fan on Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:34 am; edited 2 times in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 30 Jul 2012, 8:25 am

This is not going to end well.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:31 am

liverbnz wrote:This is not going to end well.

I would put it more like.......it's heading towards an inevitable end Very Happy

For those having done the Nirvana....i.e making a mark and acquired repute as a good to great international player , for 5 to 10 years for their country....plus having flair/ charisma/ explosive style/ Box office appeal that sells in Multi-million dollars on the T20-league markets.....the end is inevitable.

Gayle is the first evidence...
KP as big...or bigger than Gayle is the next
Brett Lee......in multiple steps toook the same route....
Flintoff--with similar Box Office appeal...... went out of international cricket having done his Nirvana, with similar intentions...unfortunately his body did not hold enouhg for the T20 version either.....
Ross Taylor, McCullum and a few other Kiwis..... Pollard, Narine, Bravo, Russell the westindians...not quite as big stars as the above are in the same boat.......

Fortunately for England they don't have any other stars in the A-Category of Gayle/ KP...
and even their B-Category stars Swann, Broad, Bresnan....are not percived as same saleable commodities as Narine, Andre Russel, Pollard or Bravo....so they won't be subjected to same debilitation as WI or NZ.....in the short term.

The Eng-NZ series next sumer will be devoid of some first choice players for sure....

the question is will ECB let KP go co,pletely i.e break it....or will they bend to accomodate him to his partial availability ?

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down