The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting rock'n'roll anecdotes

+6
WhiteCamry
ONETWOFOREVER
Mind the windows Tino.
superflyweight
Galted
seanmichaels
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Interesting rock'n'roll anecdotes - Page 2 Empty Interesting rock'n'roll anecdotes

Post by seanmichaels Wed 22 Jan 2014, 12:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I was watching an interview with Johnny Marr last night and he told a story I hadn't heard before. Apparently before Oasis were anything, Marr and Noel G were acquaintances. Gallagher had a pretty awful guitar, all he could afford, so Marr lent him his Gibson sunburst guitar which he had bought from Pete Townsend! The guitar can be seen in the Live Forever video and was used to record some of the bigger track on DM. The guitar unfortunately copped it when a stage invading fan wore it on his head after Noel had been bottled. Marr being the generous sought, replaced the guitar with a black version from his collection (seen in later live performances and some of the live stuff on the SMS video).

Anymore rock'n'roll anecdotes?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Interesting rock'n'roll anecdotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Interesting rock'n'roll anecdotes

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:48 am

Galted wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Galted wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:I would go for a panini but the kitchen mongs never make them with care.

Take a clipboard or notebook with you and jot down a few scribblings while they're making it.  To add to the quality of your panini you could wear a beret so they think you're quite a player in the food business.

Or a paratrooper?

Or a f***ing big machete.
You'll know it's for you when you hear, "P*ncey sarnie for the git in the Frank Spencer hat!"

whereas I get "Bag of chips/warm potato strips for the angry bald bloke punching a toddler...again!"

Back to top Go down

Interesting rock'n'roll anecdotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Interesting rock'n'roll anecdotes

Post by seanmichaels Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:51 am

I had some curry sauce and chips from a roughish chinese/fish and chip shop a few weeks back. My arris was in pieces for about 3 days after that. Shame as i really fancy that now....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:53 am

DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Galted wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:I would go for a panini but the kitchen mongs never make them with care.

Take a clipboard or notebook with you and jot down a few scribblings while they're making it.  To add to the quality of your panini you could wear a beret so they think you're quite a player in the food business.

Or a paratrooper?

Or a f***ing big machete.
You'll know it's for you when you hear, "P*ncey sarnie for the git in the Frank Spencer hat!"

whereas I get "Bag of chips/warm potato strips for the angry bald bloke punching a toddler...again!"

I like the usage of a toddler though I'd probably force it onto its side and dig my knee into its neck so I could keep an eye on the food preparation, especially if its mum or aunt was working behind the counter.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:03 am

Galted wrote:An interesting Troggs fact now, Sean. Their song With a Girl Like You was number one the day England won the world cup in 1966.

I am a well of knowledge, feel free to dip your buckets.

Galted, I don't wish to question your vast knowledge and intelligence although I am going to question it so that sentence is completely irrelevant but I have always been led to believe by numerous websites, radio DJ's etc that Chris Farlowe's cover of The Stones 'Out Of Time' was number 1 when England won the World Cup.

The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:04 am

Wife came home last night having NOT gone shopping straight after work which was the whole reason I collected our daughter from Nursery only for her to come in minus bags and to then say that she WAS going to stop off for donner meat and chips but wanted to get home and see us so didn't.

I'd held off making tea so ended up having a cr*ppy cheese sarnie which was made even worse by thoughts of donner meat running around my head. In fact, I'm salivating now at the thought of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:08 am

The Womble wrote:
Galted wrote:An interesting Troggs fact now, Sean. Their song With a Girl Like You was number one the day England won the world cup in 1966.

I am a well of knowledge, feel free to dip your buckets.

Galted, I don't wish to question your vast knowledge and intelligence although I am going to question it so that sentence is completely irrelevant but I have always been led to believe by numerous websites, radio DJ's etc that Chris Farlowe's cover of The Stones 'Out Of Time' was number 1 when England won the World Cup.

Thanks, Womble. This is really annoying as I stole the "fact" from another poster who shall remain anonymous (Rowley) and my fraud has now been exposed.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:11 am

He is absolutely right Galted. Would love to say my error was intentional to make you look foolish but having checked my facts it appears Womble is 100% correct and I have been previously misinformed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:14 am

The funny thing is my old man told me it was Farlowe and I checked it because he does have a tendency to make things up, would appear I put the wrong date in one of those what was number one on your birthday websites.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:18 am

I should really have taken the bullet or redirected it at Tino but ducked instinctively.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:20 am

Bright Eyes was number one when I was born. Had a close shave with Gloria Gaynor I believe.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:20 am

You should have just blamed Tino for the mis-information.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:21 am

Real men accept responsibility for their own actions. Mine was Slade Come on Feel the Noise Sean, which is not too bad as far as it goes.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:26 am

Rowley wrote:Real men accept responsibility for their own actions. Mine was Slade Come on Feel the Noise Sean, which is not too bad as far as it goes.

Good song. Remember the Oasis cover? Always thought they were perfect to cover Merry Christmas by Slade.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:27 am

Noel Gallagher actually did cover Merry Christmas himself. More slowed down and less terrible than the original version, however.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:29 am

Number 1 when I was born was Michael Jackson, 'One Day In Your Life'.... Rolling Eyes 

As for rock and roll anecdotes.....I once stood next to Tony Hadley on Kings Cross Station. He is built like a brick shizzle house.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:30 am

sodhat wrote:Noel Gallagher actually did cover Merry Christmas himself. More slowed down and less terrible than the original version, however.

Noel's version is a lot better than the original. Plus he doesn't do that stupid 'It's Chriiiiiistmas' cr@p
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:34 am

The Womble wrote:Number 1 when I was born was Michael Jackson, 'One Day In Your Life'.... Rolling Eyes 

As for rock and roll anecdotes.....I once stood next to Tony Hadley on Kings Cross Station. He is built like a brick shizzle house.

I think Windows has a Tony Hadley story that was slightly more impressive.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:37 am

Whereas Tony Hadley's Windows story is one that used to clear unwanted guests from his house parties

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:37 am

seanmichaels wrote:
The Womble wrote:Number 1 when I was born was Michael Jackson, 'One Day In Your Life'.... Rolling Eyes 

I think Windows has a Tony Hadley story that was slightly more impressive.

Yeh I know it's not a great story is it.......
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:38 am

Does it involve Tony Hadley wearing sunglasses indoors at night?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:39 am

The Womble wrote:Does it involve Tony Hadley wearing sunglasses indoors at night?

I think he got pi55ed with him then bumped into him on the flight home. It was either Hadley or Christopher Biggins.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:39 am

The Womble wrote:
sodhat wrote:Noel Gallagher actually did cover Merry Christmas himself. More slowed down and less terrible than the original version, however.

Noel's version is a lot better than the original. Plus he doesn't do that stupid 'It's Chriiiiiistmas' cr@p

It really isn't.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:40 am

Do all his celebrity stories involve the airport in some way?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:41 am

Yes. Always thought Noel's singing is highly overrated.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:41 am

seanmichaels wrote:
The Womble wrote:Does it involve Tony Hadley wearing sunglasses indoors at night?

I think he got pi55ed with him then bumped into him on the flight home. It was either Hadley or Christopher Biggins.....

That wasn't me. I think it was Adam.

I only have famous neighbours.

Number one when I was born......Abba - Name of the Game.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:41 am

Rowley wrote:
The Womble wrote:

It really isn't.

Oh come on now Rowley, it is and we both know it.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:43 am

It's a dull acoustic dirge. Whereas Slade is an uptempo festive classic.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:44 am

seanmichaels wrote:

"I don't care how much they're offering, I'm not doing that sh!t, my reputation is everything." screamed an apoplectic (feel free to have that as a new word for the day) Biggins shortly before answering another call to be overheard saying "Channel 5? New game show? How many pineapples can I stick up my bum? £2.36 an hour and all the fruit cocktail I can stomach? You have yourself a deal sir!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Jan 2014, 11:47 am

Irony of all ironies...for one so notoriously miserable, number one when I was born?

"Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep"

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:13 pm

Rowley wrote:It's a dull acoustic dirge. Whereas Slade is an uptempo festive classic.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

I can't abide Slade. I just don't understand how they made it to the upper echelons of music. And how a self-confessed Ride and Stone Roses fan could prefer them to Oasis...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:21 pm

No. 1 when I was born - I'm Alive by the Hollies. Very appropriate, given my situation at the time.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm

Slade are quality sodhat. Whereas Oasis are just derivative dullards reproducing their earlier successess for ever diminishing returns.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:25 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:No. 1 when I was born - I'm Alive by the Hollies. Very appropriate, given my situation at the time.

You really are quite old aren't you Jules. My old man's favourite band The Hollies, although he does have a soft spot for the Everly Brothers as well, as all sensible folk should.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:30 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:No. 1 when I was born - I'm Alive by the Hollies. Very appropriate, given my situation at the time.

Last night I dreamed that you were 51, seems my dreams are about as accurate as Rowley's trivia.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:36 pm

Galted wrote:

Last night I dreamed that you were 51.

You dreamt about me? In a massively gay way?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:37 pm

Galted wrote:

Last night I dreamed that you were 51, seems my dreams are about as accurate as Rowley's trivia.

1 mistake Galted, can we not focus on the other zingers, all of which are quite possibly correct.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:39 pm

Rowley wrote:

You really are quite old aren't you Jules. My old man's favourite band The Hollies, although he does have a soft spot for the Everly Brothers as well, as all sensible folk should.

Yes I am. Hanging out with all you young folks on here makes me feel like some sort of fraudulent mid-life crisis type of guy, desperately trying to cling on to his long lost youth. Which is true.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:47 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:

Last night I dreamed that you were 51.

You dreamt about me? In a massively gay way?

Yes I did and no, I save that for Tino.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:49 pm

Rowley wrote:Slade are quality sodhat. Whereas Oasis are just derivative dullards reproducing their earlier successess for ever diminishing returns.

Their problem was they imploded too late. If it had been after What's the Story or even Be Here Now, they'd be held in far more reverential terms.

And better than Slade. Always better than Slade.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:02 pm

sodhat wrote:
Rowley wrote:Slade are quality sodhat. Whereas Oasis are just derivative dullards reproducing their earlier successess for ever diminishing returns.

Their problem was they imploded too late. If it had been after What's the Story or even Be Here Now, they'd be held in far more reverential terms.

I was listening to a few tracks at the weekend. There are some good songs in the later stuff but it is quite scary that in 5 albums post what's the story I can only list the following:

My Big Mouth
Fade In-Out
Don't Go Away
It's Gettin' Better (Man!!)
Lyla
Stop Crying your heart out
The shock of the lightning

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:07 pm

Their sound was good but it was never re-invented in those last 5 albums or so, Sean. They lacked the invention of people like The Beatles and Radiohead (and even Arctic Monkeys now) to really endure.

They are like the Sex Pistols, but with loads of albums. Imagine if the Sex Pistols made loads of albums? It'd be horrible.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:14 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
sodhat wrote:

I was listening to a few tracks at the weekend. There are some good songs in the later stuff but it is quite scary that in 5 albums post what's the story I can only list the following:

My Big Mouth
Fade In-Out
Don't Go Away
It's Gettin' Better (Man!!)
Lyla
Stop Crying your heart out
The shock of the lightning

You missed Songbird and Little James Sean, belters them two.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:19 pm

Rowley wrote:
Galted wrote:

1 mistake Galted, can we not focus on the other zingers, all of which are quite possibly correct.

Of course we can, I did get at least one unquestioned zinger from you.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:23 pm

I feel I need to redeem myself Galted, let me know an area of popular music that interests you and I will try to come up with a suitably impressive knowledge bomb, obviously if I don't know one I will just ignore your post and pretend I did not see it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:28 pm

Cheers, Rowley. Not so much an area of popular music as a direct question...

Why is it that when one of the two hotties in Bananarama left they didn't replace her with another hottie? Did they feel a bit sorry for the 3rd member who probably didn't get as many stares and whistles?

I'll still respect your vast musical knowledge if you don't know the answer. It's probably a question that Tino could answer better given his history of sneaking about celebrities or michaels who's probably defiled one of them.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:28 pm

Termites will eat wood two times faster when listening to heavy metal.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Termites will eat wood two times faster when listening to heavy metal.

That'll save me smearing Bovril on my c*ck for the neighbours dog to lick.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:32 pm

Galted wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:Termites will eat wood two times faster when listening to heavy metal.

Laugh Dave667 will probably lend you his Aerosmith and/or Bon Jovi Compact Discs.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:34 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Galted wrote:

:laugh:Dave667 will probably lend you his Aerosmith and/or Bon Jovi Compact Discs.

laughing 

I'm a bit wary of associating myself with your post as I may end up being the 667Killer victim after you.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 28 Jan 2014, 1:40 pm

As an aside, was Siobhan Fahey the 'fitty' who left Bananarama. She was a bit rough and scary in Shakespeares Sister but I probably would for a Mistress / Slave sort of scenario.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next