The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

who slammed who?

+6
more_awesome_than_a_ri
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Kay Fabe
crippledtart
Mr H
HitmanOwl
10 posters

Go down

who slammed who? Empty who slammed who?

Post by HitmanOwl Wed 18 May 2011, 11:22 am

Was it hogan who slammed Andre or was it Andre who slammed Andre?

Think about it.

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

who slammed who? Empty Re: who slammed who?

Post by Mr H Wed 18 May 2011, 11:33 am

A bit like was it Lex Luger who slammed Yokozuna, i've never seen Yoko jump so high!

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Wed 18 May 2011, 12:05 pm

I'm trying to say Andre allowed hogan to do that,basically passing the torch.

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed 18 May 2011, 12:30 pm

HitmanOwl wrote:I'm trying to say Andre allowed hogan to do that,basically passing the torch.

Oh right, thanks for the explanation, as I did think about it and for the life of me I couldn't work out your cryptic message.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 18 May 2011, 12:44 pm

By the time Hogan slammed him the torch had been well and truly passed, Andre had been slammed a good few times before Hogan but marketing a moment is what the WWF where truly great at

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed 18 May 2011, 12:50 pm

Totally true gaffer. There was no torch to be passed - Hogan was already a far bigger star than Andre had ever been. But fair play to the WWF for the way they made such a big deal of it, and convinced millions of their own hyperbole (including, it appears, HitmanOwl himself!).

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Wed 18 May 2011, 12:56 pm

It wasnt a big deal to me! People bang on how amazing that moment was but really it was done a million times!

The passing of the torch,yeah hogan was made but Andre was on his way out. He allowed hogan to do that because of this.

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 18 May 2011, 1:00 pm

I love it when we discuss the current, burning issues in wrestling.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by more_awesome_than_a_ri Wed 18 May 2011, 1:02 pm

I thought this was going to be another thread involving Morrison, Melina and Batista!!!

Whistle randy

Last edited by more_awesome_than_a_ri on Wed 18 May 2011, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding fun little smilies)

more_awesome_than_a_ri

Back to top Go down

Post by Francis Wed 18 May 2011, 1:03 pm

Have you heard about this rising young star Richard Flair?

I reckon he's gonna be big.. Shame his catchphrase will never catch on...

Francis

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed 18 May 2011, 1:05 pm

HitmanOwl wrote:It wasnt a big deal to me! People bang on how amazing that moment was but really it was done a million times!

The passing of the torch,yeah hogan was made but Andre was on his way out. He allowed hogan to do that because of this.

Thanks again for the information. You are a fountain of knowledge.

If it wasn't a big deal to you, why did you start a thread about it?

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 18 May 2011, 1:25 pm

Well my above post looks like it is in the wrong thread.

I totally got the wrong end of the stick.

Great article

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 18 May 2011, 1:35 pm

HitmanOwl I wouldn't say Andre allowed Hogan to Slam him because he was on the way out, Andre more than likely made a deal with Vince that he would get this last big Main Event push and pay-day in exchange for that 'Mania Moment' which was the Slam, the whole specticle revolved around that, the whole angle built to that moment, if Andre wouldn't have wanted to do it I doubt he would have been anywhere near Hogan in the first place.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Show_352 Wed 18 May 2011, 1:46 pm

The story behind it is that they had to actually get Andre drunk to convince him to let Hogan go over.
This was no 'Passing of the Tourch' match as Hogan was WWE's most established guy and had been for the previous 3 or 4 years. Granted Andre was a huge attraction worldwide due to his size, but as Hogan had been Champion for 4 years (continuous) before this match there was no passing of any torch.

Show_352

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Wed 18 May 2011, 1:57 pm

Fair play! Always happy to extend my wrestling knowledge gaffer!

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed 18 May 2011, 1:57 pm

Show_352 wrote:The story behind it is that they had to actually get Andre drunk to convince him to let Hogan go over.

I expect Hogan told that story. There are so many myths around this match. The fact is that Andre was semi-retired and semi-crippled and very grateful for a massive payday at that stage of his life and career. He had no interest in winning the match as he knew it made perfect business sense to put Hogan over and was just happy for the chance to headline Wrestlemania and make huge money. If Andre had played hardball they'd have just gone with a different opponent for Hogan.

The story about Andre being undefeated for 15 years was completely untrue, neither was it true that they'd never wrestled before, and the famous "Slam me, boss" quote wasn't some kind of ad-lib, it was simply Andre calling the spot.

Nobody had to convince anyone of anything, nothing was unplanned, the whole thing was beneficial to Andre, Hogan and the WWF and went exactly as it was laid out.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by whatwindturbine Wed 18 May 2011, 2:06 pm

Show_352 wrote:The story behind it is that they had to actually get Andre drunk to convince him to let Hogan go over.

Getting Andre drunk would have been quite a task:

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/10_06/10_06_andre_giant.html

whatwindturbine

Back to top Go down

Post by Show_352 Wed 18 May 2011, 2:12 pm

Davieswasacrippledtart wrote:

I expect Hogan told that story. There are so many myths around this match. The fact is that Andre was semi-retired and semi-crippled and very grateful for a massive payday at that stage of his life and career. He had no interest in winning the match as he knew it made perfect business sense to put Hogan over and was just happy for the chance to headline Wrestlemania and make huge money. If Andre had played hardball they'd have just gone with a different opponent for Hogan.

The story about Andre being undefeated for 15 years was completely untrue, neither was it true that they'd never wrestled before, and the famous "Slam me, boss" quote wasn't some kind of ad-lib, it was simply Andre calling the spot.

Nobody had to convince anyone of anything, nothing was unplanned, the whole thing was beneficial to Andre, Hogan and the WWF and went exactly as it was laid out.

It's a pretty common story told by numerous sources. In reference to changing the opponent if Andre played hardball, you cannot expect on the day of the PPV to change a main event of that magnitude and not expect the fans to Poopie all over it.

Show_352

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarsippius Wed 18 May 2011, 2:21 pm

That drunkard magazine article is excellent, Andre truly was a drinking God, plus the idea of someone pushing Hogan around is a nice thought

Sarsippius

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed 18 May 2011, 2:28 pm

Of course Andre could have gone against the script on the day, and fans would have been disappointed that the advertised main event didn't happen. But that could happen any time - Big Show could go against the script any time he likes, but he doesn't. Hell, John Cena could just decide on the morning of Wrestlemania 28 to stay at home.

Andre was stubborn and demanding at times, but there's nothing to suggest he would have gone against the script. He wouldn't have got his money, for a start. Why go to all the effort of sabotaging Wrestlemania and being blackballed from the WWF? He had no grudge with Hogan or McMahon, he'd worked with the company for 15 years, and had wrestled Hogan before without any problem (indeed he'd even let Hogan slam him before).

I love the fact that there is a Modern Drunkard Magazine.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down