The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer slammed by Swiss

+12
The Special Juan
HM Murdock
JuliusHMarx
socal1976
User 774433
Haddie-nuff
bogbrush
laverfan
Josiah Maiestas
barrystar
lydian
CAS
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Federer slammed by Swiss Empty Federer slammed by Swiss

Post by CAS Thu 01 Nov 2012, 1:43 pm

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/tennis/federer-slammed-by-swiss-1.1415695#.UJJ7omjab-Y

Surprising comments

CAS

Back to top Go down

Federer slammed by Swiss Empty Re: Federer slammed by Swiss

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:10 pm

Interesting article and internal dynamics going on within the Swiss team/situation. You can see both sides of the argument...it must be a blessing and a curse to have a large tennis tournament in your home town. You're kind of expected to play. The DC situation is not new, Stan has felt put out by Fed's DC position a few times.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:16 pm

Federer seems to make out him and Stan are very close, but I always get the feeling its a prickly relationship at times

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

Probably not helped by Fed's Olympic 2008 comments of how he "carried Stan" to the final!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:28 pm

do you have a link for that Lydian? I've heard about it, just can't imagine it

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:38 pm

It'll be out there somewhere via Google. It was a fairly innocuously intended comment at the time but Federer can be prone to the odd dash of narcissism at times!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:38 pm

It's not really any surprise - competing interests lead to disappointments. Federer is just as human as the rest of us.

I have just looked at the 2013 Calendar, and it's the same nightmare scenario of Basel/Paris/WTF three weeks in a row.

There's no way Fed can sensibly do that (assuming he's up to the WTF), so he's got to give up Paris to play Basel meaning that he's got little or no room for manoeuvre with TMS tournaments elsewhere in the season.

He's not been out of the top 5 for 500 weeks, and one of the reasons for that is how carefully he manages his schedule, looking to his interests first, including not playing DC when it doesn't suit.

I think were I a Swiss tennis supporter the pluses outweigh the minuses.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:41 pm

lydian wrote:It'll be out there somewhere via Google. It was a fairly innocuously intended comment at the time but Federer can be prone to the odd dash of narcissism at times!

It's here http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=51909

Q. The two matches you've had this week have been some of your more comfortable wins over the summer. Winning the gold medal in Beijing in the doubles, even though it's a different discipline, is that confidence you've been able to take into your singles game moving forward?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, maybe wasn't confidence. It was fun. It was good for -- it inspired me. It was an unbelievable couple of weeks for me, and I left it with good spirits instead of leaving, you know, on a quarterfinals that I lost.
So from that perspective it helped. I really thought I played, you know, great in doubles throughout the tournament. I really carried Stan through a few matches, you know, and then after that he really started to play well.
I was just happy that I was finally playing good doubles again, because I never really did that well anymore in doubles, which was really disappointing for me.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:56 pm

Federer hardly plays Davis Cup? Statistics say otherwise....

I've come to agree with him being a bit nervous playing in Switzerland though, Federer is very much a gipsy traveler Laugh
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:11 pm

Thanks Barrystar, its not too bad he's just too honest for his own good sometimes. I've seen Stan play doubles and he is a very patchy doubles player, can be great for a few games then shocking for another few

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:55 pm

Federer has stepped in during relegation playoffs many a time. He played in Australia right after USO. Played Italy right after USO. He played against Netherlands this year.

If SUI does not have a good overall team for DC, why is Federer being blamed?

I will get a lot of flak for this statement, but Nadal also skips DC and Ferrer/Verdasco/Lopez/Granollers carry Spain through.

Stan tried that against USA in Austin and it did not work.

If he is asking for more money, it can be negotiated between the two parties. He is not getting any younger. The Basel, Paris, WTF scheduling is really sad.

Federer -

First year played 1999
Ties played 22
Singles (W/L) 32/7
Doubles (W/L) 11/8
Total (W/L) 43/15

Wawrinka -

First year played 2004
Ties played 17
Singles (W/L) 15/11
Doubles (W/L) 2/9
Total (W/L) 17/20

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:11 pm

Those stats dont tell the whole story though Laverfan. Federer was AWOL during years when they sometimes had their best chance of winning - IIRC.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:20 pm

I suspect Federer has a guarded attitude to the Davis Cup.

I don't; I've always thought it an irrelevance.

I can't see the problem, everyone thinks they are owed things. Federer could triple his money in Asia. Basel may as well start preparing for life after Fed anyway.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:35 pm

Federer is pretty patriotic as evidenced by this 2009 post-DC toe-curler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6mrZjPTLCM

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:00 pm

Lol!

I made it halfway through. I think I did quite well......
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:07 pm

Well he keeps repeating how he wants to play in Rio .. is the gold for himself or is it for Switzerland ??? wont he have to play for the DC if he wishes to grabs the gold for himself ????

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:13 pm

What's Murray # of Davis Cup appearances/withdraws? And Djokovic? Anyone know?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:15 pm

They both had to play before they could enter the Olympics JM.
So the question remains did they do it for their country or themselves ???

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:19 pm

He's doing it for the Swiss army HN drumroll

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:25 pm

mmmm he IS the Swiss army Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:42 pm

They do it for themselves. All of them.

And quite right too, anyone thinking otherwise is being naive.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:45 pm

Tennis is a very singular pursuit.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:46 pm

Then let him play the DC like a good boy should BB. if he wants to represent his country... but then maybe they will change the rules before Rio just to suit the GOAT

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:49 pm

CAS wrote:Thanks Barrystar, its not too bad he's just too honest for his own good sometimes. I've seen Stan play doubles and he is a very patchy doubles player, can be great for a few games then shocking for another few

Wrong on this point I am afraid CAS. Fed can be honest and brutal with his criticisms in post match interviews, he can also be delusional. After losing to Melzer I believe in straights in 2011 he claimed when asked about the reasons he lost, one of the reasons he gave:"my opponent shanked a lot of balls that went in". What? I watched that match Melzer played out of his mind and out hit and out fought fed on clay albeit. Frankly one of the most shockingly unsportsman like comments I have ever heard in tennis. Does that make him a bad guy, no not really but this type of stuff certainly takes some of the fire out of the federer humble sportsman line that has been sold to us.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:51 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Then let him play the DC like a good boy should BB. if he wants to represent his country... but then maybe they will change the rules before Rio just to suit the GOAT
Course they will, in their own interest. If it wasn't, they wouldn't.

There are no ethical standards at play here, just good decisions that benefit people.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:52 pm

Wawrinka carried Federer in the Olympics 2008 drumroll

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:53 pm

Federer a humble sportsman???!!! God knows where you have been Socal..quite the contrary for me is one of the reasons I dislike him as a person (his tennis goes without saying) he is the most arrogant player on tour. He would not know how to spell humility

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:54 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:He would not know how to spell humility
Maybe he would pay closer attention to Socal's posts though Whistle

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:54 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Then let him play the DC like a good boy should BB. if he wants to represent his country... but then maybe they will change the rules before Rio just to suit the GOAT

There are no ethical standards at play here, just good decisions that benefit people.

Yes well thats how YOU interpret it BB... but then we are talking Federer here arn´t we ???

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:55 pm

socal1976 wrote:
CAS wrote:Thanks Barrystar, its not too bad he's just too honest for his own good sometimes. I've seen Stan play doubles and he is a very patchy doubles player, can be great for a few games then shocking for another few

Wrong on this point I am afraid CAS. Fed can be honest and brutal with his criticisms in post match interviews, he can also be delusional. After losing to Melzer I believe in straights in 2011 he claimed when asked about the reasons he lost, one of the reasons he gave:"my opponent shanked a lot of balls that went in". What? I watched that match Melzer played out of his mind and out hit and out fought fed on clay albeit. Frankly one of the most shockingly unsportsman like comments I have ever heard in tennis. Does that make him a bad guy, no not really but this type of stuff certainly takes some of the fire out of the federer humble sportsman line that has been sold to us.
I have never heard Federer described as humble, not even by his biggest fans. Everyone knows he says what he thinks. He's very often right too, but not always.

It's actually more Rafa and Novak that this particular bit of nonsense gets thrown around about.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:56 pm

Anyway joking aside, Haddie I think you are being too harsh on Federer.

After matches emotions run high, and I am sure everyone has said things they regret. Federer is no different.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:56 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Yes well thats how YOU interpret it BB... but then we are talking Federer here arn´t we ???
Can you give me another reason why people do things, other than its in their own interest?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:57 pm

Becker was always the best after being interviewed following a loss..."Look, no-one died out there".

Hard to come back on that one.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:58 pm

bogbrush wrote:
I have never heard Federer described as humble, not even by his biggest fans.
No, that's not true.
I once saw someone on you-tube say he was the most humble person alive. I can' remember the username I think it was something like 'Rogerisgod'

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:59 pm

Hmmm, not sure about that one BB.
I'm always doing things for my kids that are most not in my interest! Like driving my son 30 miles to a soccer league match he's playing in at 8,30 on a Saturday morning!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:00 pm

bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

I have never heard Federer described as humble, not even by his biggest fans. Everyone knows he says what he thinks. He's very often right too, but not always.

It's actually more Rafa and Novak that this particular bit of nonsense gets thrown around about.

Well now then why didn´t I not expect Nadal´s name to creep into the debate... getting desperate me thinks BB.really I thought you might come up with something a bit more original..tsk tsk

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:00 pm

lydian wrote:Hmmm, not sure about that one BB.
I'm always doing things for my kids that are most not in my interest! Like driving my son 30 miles to a soccer league match he's playing in at 8,30 on a Saturday morning!
I think he was talking about tennis players participating in tournaments Federer slammed by Swiss 1347041234

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:01 pm

lydian wrote:Hmmm, not sure about that one BB.
It makes you feel good doesn't it? A good Dad. If you told him to make his own way you'd feel like a $h1t wouldn't you?

So you do it to feel better.

Last edited by bogbrush on Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:01 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Anyway joking aside, Haddie I think you are being too harsh on Federer.

After matches emotions run high, and I am sure everyone has said things they regret. Federer is no different.

Yeah yeah yeah !!!!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:02 pm

Nadal = humble
Federer = nimble
Murray = grumble
Del Potro = mumble

Tomic = crumble
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:03 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

Well now then why didn´t I not expect Nadal´s name to creep into the debate... getting desperate me thinks BB.really I thought you might come up with something a bit more original..tsk tsk
You don't think "Nadal" and "humble" go together like apple pie and custard?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:03 pm

lydian wrote:Nadal = humble
Federer = nimble
Murray = grumble
Del Potro = mumble

Tomic = crumble

clap

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:04 pm

Aye aye BB...the things we do for them though.

But I hear your argument...every action is for a self-reason...the selfish gene.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:05 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Anyway joking aside, Haddie I think you are being too harsh on Federer.

Yeah yeah yeah !!!!!
lol HN, you can't 'yeah yeah yeah' me Whistle

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:06 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

Have I missed something ???? is this thread about Nadal or Federer... as I said BB you truly are a desperate person... stop firing off your back foot your in danger of shooting yourself in it.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:07 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

Anyway being serious, I think you should read biographies about Nadal, you can learn a lot about him there.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:08 pm

I'd say Nadal is very politein public, well mannered...humble is perhaps stretching it, maybe when he first came out on tour. The past couple of years he's been downright narky at times furious
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:09 pm

That is also true Lydian-... but where Federer is concerned he has a lot of catching up to do . Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:10 pm

Haddie, you're sounding like a she-tiger protecting one of her cubs! I simply mocked the idea of the humble champion myth, something raised by another.

Nothing desperate at all.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:14 pm

lydian wrote:I'd say Nadal is very politein public, well mannered...humble is perhaps stretching it, maybe when he first came out on tour. The past couple of years he's been downright narky at times.
I personally have a lot of respect for Nadal, due to many different reasons.
I think his personality was moulded by strict parenting (or should I say uncle-ing!) when he was younger, I heard once when Nadal was young he threw a strop after he lost, and didn't show class after the match; so Toni punished him and made Nadal practice extra for the night.

When Nadal was a teenager in 2004 he also found out about his foot condition, which means his career was always at risk due to injury. This put massive pressure on everything he did, every game could be his last. Look at Nadal's face vs Del Potro @Wimby 2011 R4 in the first set after he feels pain on his foot. He doesn't ask the doctor what to do, his expression on his face is like he is pleading for mercy, you can tell he is scared.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next