The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Scarlet Signings

+7
ScarletSpiderman
Totallybiasedscarlet
glamorganalun
Smirnoffpriest
formerly known as Sam
Turkster
welsh-matfield
11 posters

Go down

New Scarlet Signings Empty New Scarlet Signings

Post by welsh-matfield Sat 16 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm

According to Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/07/16/scarlets-make-four-signings-for-new-pro-12-campaign-91466-29062630/ the scarlets have signed four players for the new season.
[list][*] Tongan Lock Sione Timani from Carmarthen Quins
[list][*] Fly-Half Aled Thomas from London Welsh
[list][*] Fly-Half Rhys Jones from The Dragons
[list][*] Centre Rhodri-Gomer Davies from the Dragons
....Just wondering what peoples views are on the signings, good or bad moves by the Scarlets?

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

New Scarlet Signings Empty Re: New Scarlet Signings

Post by Turkster Sat 16 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

Apparently Rhys Jones and Rhodri Gomer-Davies are only short term signings to cover the World Cup,

Nigel Davies,
“Rhodri Gomer-Davies and Rhys Jones are both contracted to the sevens circuit, but we are offering them the opportunity to have some rugby, particularly in the early part of the season, and maybe further their careers in the 15-a-side game,” said Davies

“If they do come up to the mark, we may look at contracting them in the longer term.

“Their salaries will continue to be paid by the union and we will supplement that with a payment, which allows them to train with us as well.

“So it’s a good deal for both parties.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/07/16/scarlets-make-four-signings-for-new-pro-12-campaign-91466-29062630/

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 17 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

Is Timani going to add the required power to the Scarlets second row? The front five really needs to be beefed up if the Scarlets want to compete with the big boys.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

It will be interesting to see which no. 10 really grabs the shirt and keeps it at the start of next season while Priestland and Jones are out. I think it will most likely be Newton, but it would be nice for Evans to get game time at 10 as he's not really panning out as a 15.

Glad we signed Timani, just wish we could get a really big signing in the front row as well.

I think Gomer-Davies is a good short term move and will bring a bit of experience in to the back line

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:

Glad we signed Timani, just wish we could get a really big signing in the front row as well.

who would you replace? the way Rhys Thomas finished last season he looked settled and in great form, Iestyn's got a couple more seasons in him, Mathew Rees and Ken Owens are as good as any other Welsh region's hookers, second row is our problem and hopefully Sioni Timani can bring the bulk and 'nasty' we need.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

Apologies I meant 'in the front 5', but my brain seems to have slipped into neutral.

I'd want someone in whose either a TH (I know R Thomas started playing well and finally started justifying his wage) but I'm not sure yet that he can be relied on, and it would be good for Gardiners development - or someone in the 2nd row.

Saying that though we can't really afford either so it's probably best we go down this route.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:13 pm

I think Gardiner's going to be class, once they sort his fitness out anyway, him and Rhodri Jones should be second choice now, ahead of Phil John and Deacon Manu (if he's still here next season), hopefully the time that Lou Reed's spent with Wales will finally see him coming on too, it's looking good for the future, fingers crossed eh?

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:16 pm

Yeah fingers crossed Lou Reed kicks on again, and Timani gives us the grunt/dog in the 2nd row and Welch is used a lot as I really like him.
I agree with our props, it's a shame on Phil as he's been a loyal servant and is a really nice guy, but Rhodri is looking to be the better player, and I agree about Gardiner but I hope we keep Manu as he was really good last year.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:20 pm

Really strange about Damien Welch, I was at the game when Nigel Davies brought Turnbull on in the second row when Welch was sitting on the bench, is it just he isn't liked by Nige or was he injured? really strange.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:23 pm

Yeah I was there 2, wasn't that the game just before he signed a new contract, and then the next game he was on the bench again, very strange...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:30 pm

How about Welch being the backup at no.8 to Ben Morgan, he's big enough and fast enough and played backrow before, with Shingler and McCusker at 6 ands Edwards and Turnbull at 7 I reckon the pack is sorted for a couple of seasons.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by welsh-matfield Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

shingler or Mccusker?

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:38 pm

welsh-matfield wrote:shingler or Mccusker?

at the moment I'd say McCusker is first choice at 6, but Shingler looks to have everything except bulk, apparently he's working on that this summer and could even be pushed up to 2nd row, there's a picture of him on the Scarlets website next to Morgan already looking as if he's bulked up a bit.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:50 pm

I hope he has bulked up as he's a really good player but far to lightweight to play 2nd row.

I like Welch as a 2nd row, although I suppose it's possible to get him to cover 8 and would increase the skill set of our back 5 forwards (kinda like the NZ do with their forwards).

We do have a lot of strength and depth the back 3 tho which is good, I just wish Lyons had stayed for an extra year.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:34 pm

I watched Welch against the Dragons playing 8 at Dave and I was really impressed by him and the Scarlets with what looked like a third team. I have asked the same question on here in the past and it appears he is injured, what injury I don't know. Is he Welsh qualified?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

glamorganalun wrote:I watched Welch against the Dragons playing 8 at Dave and I was really impressed by him and the Scarlets with what looked like a third team. I have asked the same question on here in the past and it appears he is injured, what injury I don't know. Is he Welsh qualified?

He will be soon on residency. I'm hoping to grud Nige gives him plenty of gametime this season because everytime he packs down in the boilerhouse the scrum looks a lot better. Add to that the guy's incredible athleticism and you have the raw ingredients for a very good lock forward. If he can bring his game on this season to add to his physical attributes he could provide the competition in the second row that Wales desperately need. I hope Ian Evans continues his recovery and finds form this year also. The current incumbents are in need of a kick up the jacksy!
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

To be honest I think if it was an issue of personallity clashes then Welch would have been gone by now, and definately not have penned a new contract.

To be honest I am not too impressed with the signs, but that said I do think that we are getting to the point where retaining the players is far more important that bringing in new players.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:13 pm

I assumed it was a personality clash, which I thought was a big shame, but then he signed a new contract - so that prob wasn't the reason, but still wasn't playing!

I did hear (more gossip than anything substantial) that quite a few players who've left over the last few years were boozing too much, so the fact that Welch is still here discounts that as well.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

I had rumours that he had an on-going back injury, yet it always surprised me that he was on the bench so often. Maybe it was just as emergency cover as we didn't have anyone else, but they didn't want to risk him unless they really had to?

Have to admit though that it really did baffle me for a lot of last season.

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

Guys thanks for the information, I hope he does get more game time and get's over any long term injury, he has an opportunity if a couple of forwards go with Wales to the RWC.

I agree with the comment about I Evans, I can't understand why he is not in the squad as he is fit. it was a bit strange he was not played a lot at the end of the season a bit like Welch! I was hoping I Evans would jump ship and Join the Scarlets but the Ospreys were determined to keep their forwards as the core of the team, it makes sense to me no team wins anything without a decent pack!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 08 Aug 2011, 10:15 pm

Sione Timani
Tonga
Full name Sione Timani
Born September 3, 1984
Current age 26 years 339 days
Major teams Tonga
Position Lock
Height 6 ft 6 in
Weight 266 lb

Big lad has anybody seen him play ? At 27 will he do well at regional rugby.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

He'd prob do better than the Ospreys Canadian foward by the sounds of it

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:19 am

gomer daview is a bad signing, not up to it at regional level

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:46 am

But he's probably the best WC cover we could get, as not many good players would sign to play back up to Williams (assuming he doesn't go to the WC), Maule & Reynolds on a short term contract for a few months before either being let go or not getting any game time.

Not many other better players would agree to those terms.

But I agree he's not great but will add experience and depth to a squad needing both

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

Won't Henson be available when the Welsh squad are at the RWC?

Being serious when we signed Maule not to many of us were pleased about it, and yet he turned out to be one of our best (personally i think the best) player for us last season. So who knows RGD may well turn out alright.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:47 am

OMG can you imagine the damage a shunned Henson could do to our squad morale, with a chip on his shoulder for being dropped from the Wales squad and his love/hate relationship with the Ospreys, and the WM fan club following him - it would be shocking!

(I'm saying this IF he's dropped, which COULD mean he's not playing anywhere near good, or too his potential and of course lastly IF he signed).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by trapsurfer Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:04 pm

GavinDragon wrote:gomer daview is a bad signing, not up to it at regional level
i agree, bad signing!

trapsurfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:13 pm

trapsurfer wrote:
i agree, bad signing!

as pointed out a few times though, he's only covering the world cup before he goes on the 7's circuit.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

Turkster wrote:
trapsurfer wrote:
i agree, bad signing!

as pointed out a few times though, he's only covering the world cup before he goes on the 7's circuit.

Indeedy. Will be keeping a seat warm for our internationals.
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 25 Aug 2011, 11:53 am

Anyone know what is happening with Manu? I heard he was going, but nothing has been said since
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

looks like we've signed a scrumhalf:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14681313.stm

does anyone know anything about Ruki Tipuna?

pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

Thats really good news - ive been quite worried about our 9 and 10s so its great to get sum depth.just hope hes good

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down