The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez vs Cotto

+14
Knowsit17
AlexHuckerby
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Rowley
Steffan
Lance
Boxtthis
Lumbering_Jack
mobilemaster8
All Time Great
Diamond in the rough
jimdig
Valero's Conscience
18 posters

Go down

Martinez vs Cotto Empty Martinez vs Cotto

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 24 Dec 2013, 6:22 am

From bits I've read it looks like this is happening June next year.

Should be a good fight but heavily favour Sergio at MW as Cotto will be very small and IMO won't be able to hurt Sergio whilst Cotto can be hurt.

There is also a question mark as to how Sergio will return after his layoff a year after a below par performance.

A huge win for either fighter and lucrative for both. I can't imagine much trash talking in this!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Martinez vs Cotto Empty Re: Martinez vs Cotto

Post by jimdig Tue 24 Dec 2013, 7:28 am

It almost seems win or lose that this could be the last fight for both. I can only see a cotto win if as you say Martinez is past it, so his chances of defending the title are low. Most of the top tier middles will be too big and strong for cotto.
If Martinez wins, he's what 40, been on the slide a while now, maybe he chances an alverez fight and gets out.
I don't see ggg fighting either cotto or Martinez should this fight come off in June.
If alverez v cotto (goldenboy offered 10million) came off in June, I think it would force Martinez toward ggg.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue 24 Dec 2013, 9:08 am

If cotto wins I can see a cotto Floyd rematch for the middleweight belt

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue 24 Dec 2013, 9:18 am

Diamond in the rough wrote:If cotto wins I can see a cotto Floyd rematch for the middleweight belt

Floyd can't even make 150lbs rehydrated. This middleweight notion needs to drop! He's a welterweight who is able to at his maximum make light middleweight.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 24 Dec 2013, 9:24 am

Completely agree ATG.

People seem to think Floyd can only secure his legacy as one of this generations greatest fighters by fighting at 160lbs against Martinez and Golovkin.

It makes no sense.

Pacquiao will have a very successful legacy when he retires having gone up the weights to a maximum weight of 154lbs Titleist (although it was at 151lbs, he did say he couldn't make that weight as they were too big).

Mayweather has done the same.

They have both hammered everyone in and around their divisions (with the exception of JMM and of course the "loss" against Bradley).

They need to prove nothing else as far as im concerned.

Hope they fight each other and both retire having had a fantastic career and having made millions

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 24 Dec 2013, 9:36 am

Why does every thread have to turn into a Floyd love in...

He's too pretty to fight at 160 bla bla bla.

I think Cotto beats him. Martinez has definitely lost a step and whilst Cotto isn't the world beater he was at 147, he should still have enough to cut off the ring and tag Martinez.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 24 Dec 2013, 9:45 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Completely agree ATG.

People seem to think Floyd can only secure his legacy as one of this generations greatest fighters by fighting at 160lbs against Martinez and Golovkin.

It makes no sense.

Pacquiao will have a very successful legacy when he retires having gone up the weights to a maximum weight of 154lbs Titleist (although it was at 151lbs, he did say he couldn't make that weight as they were too big).

Mayweather has done the same.

They have both hammered everyone in and around their divisions (with the exception of JMM and of course the "loss" against Bradley).

They need to prove nothing else as far as im concerned.

Hope they fight each other and both retire having had a fantastic career and having made millions

Please. Not this again.

You do realise that very few people want Floyd to move to Middleweight to fight those two, but would welcome the fight if they were able to drop to 154 and challenge him for his titles. There is a difference.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 24 Dec 2013, 10:09 am

I never turned it into a Floyd thread. ATG brought up a valid point in which i agreed.

I then stated that him AND Pacquiao don't need to move higher up the ranks in terms of weight to prove any more than they already have.

If people think Manny is just as good as Floyd, then why isn't everyone jumping on him to actually move up to 154 or 160?

They have both done enough throughout their respective careers and have beaten world class operators, some with consummate ease.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 24 Dec 2013, 10:16 am

What the hell has Manny got to do with this.

Take your vomit inducing love elsewhere.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue 24 Dec 2013, 10:33 am

Everyone just needs to stop the Floyd at 160lb nonsense. He's never going to fight there unless he's still going at 50 years old and has a beer belly.

Re: cotto vs. Martinez. Money talks, so this should happen. That's all Martinez cares about at the moment given his age. He's probably got two fights left in him- (1) a winnable fight vs. Cotto with makes him £Xm (2) a career ending fight against GGG, where he will do well to avoid a KO.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue 24 Dec 2013, 2:28 pm

All Time Great wrote:
Diamond in the rough wrote:If cotto wins I can see a cotto Floyd rematch for the middleweight belt

Floyd can't even make 150lbs rehydrated. This middleweight notion needs to drop! He's a welterweight who is able to at his maximum make light middleweight.

Yeah I don't expect him to move to 160 but as he's beaten cotto already and cotto being a tiny middleweight I can see the rematch happening

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue 24 Dec 2013, 2:30 pm

Diamond in the rough wrote:
All Time Great wrote:

Yeah I don't expect him to move to 160 but as he's beaten cotto already and cotto being a tiny middleweight I can see the rematch happening

At 160lbs?

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Dec 2013, 3:05 pm

Doesn't matter if a fighter wants to challenge for a title just as long as he's not OVER the weight limit. Neither De La Hoya or Hopkins were near the MW limit when they fought. Oscar knew he was bloated and slow against Sturm and Hopkins figured he'd drop down too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 24 Dec 2013, 4:35 pm

MARTINEZ COTTO MARTINEZ COTTO MARTINEZ COTTO MARTINEZ COTTO

TAKE YOUR FLLOYD BUMMING ELSEWHERE

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 24 Dec 2013, 4:39 pm

Lance wrote:MARTINEZ COTTO MARTINEZ COTTO MARTINEZ COTTO MARTINEZ COTTO

TAKE YOUR FLLOYD BUMMING ELSEWHERE
There is something seriously lacking with you

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 24 Dec 2013, 5:08 pm

It's Christmas eve lads, you surely have better things to do today than slag each other off on here. You do know they introduced all day opening for pubs some years ago don't you?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 24 Dec 2013, 5:14 pm

Rowley wrote:It's Christmas eve lads,  you surely have better things to do today than slag each other off on here. You do know they introduced all day opening for pubs some years ago don't you?
Nah im staying in this year. First time in years. Much rather be on here slagging people off anyway  Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 24 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

Cotto is muck at 154 so Martinez will pot shot and KO Cotto at 160...easy work
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 24 Dec 2013, 8:26 pm

Easy win for Sergio if its at 160

Cotto has no business being at 154 let alone 160 and is just far too small to make an impact on Sergio no matter how much he's declined

He may have looked poor against murray but murray is a big storng middleweight and while you may think he was robbed it was still very close

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Wed 25 Dec 2013, 9:02 am

All Time Great wrote:
Diamond in the rough wrote:
All Time Great wrote:

At 160lbs?

Yes! It will give Floyd another weight and will be fighting a guy he's fought before who will no doubt weigh roughly the same as he did last time! I'm not saying he should be fighting the big MW or even a natural 1 but as cotto he's fought before and will give him a lot of ppv buys aswell as the MW belt you would have to think he would fight him

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 27 Dec 2013, 5:04 pm

Cotto is surely way too small, Martinez, easy win.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 27 Dec 2013, 5:19 pm

Martinez's rise to stardom has not panned out quite the way it looked like it would. I remember the hype following the Williams and Dzinziruk wins but he has struggled to some extent in most of his fights since.

I'd still be stunned if Cotto troubled him much though. I find it astounding how so many fighters today essentially throw their careers by trying to step up multiple divisions when they'd do better staying where they are and conquering their natural weight class. Just because RJJ did it once doesn't mean anyone can at any time.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 27 Dec 2013, 5:32 pm

Money. Cotto's unlikely to be the best at 154. He can't beat Trout, he probably can't beat Mayweather and Lara would most likely knock him out. Canelo too would start as favourite.

So he may as well take a losing fight for loads of money. I can't see why anyone would expect anything from him bs the bigger, better Martinez anyway so he's unlikely to dissapoint anyone.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 27 Dec 2013, 7:26 pm

But he makes more from Canelo, seemingly they offered him close to $10mil which has to be more than what he's getting against Sergio

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 27 Dec 2013, 8:28 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:But he makes more from Canelo, seemingly they offered him close to $10mil which has to be more than what he's getting against Sergio

I think he thinks he can get both fights - at least I read something to this effect on boxingscene recently. If he equips himself well against Martinez he can just say 'wasn't my weight' and take on Canelo. Cotto is exactly the type big name, big money, but very winnable fight that Canelo's handlers would love.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 27 Dec 2013, 11:37 pm

I expect he took a look at Martinez last performance, and thought he has a better chance against him than he does canelo.

cotto has had a lot of big money fights. im surprised hes not content to retire yet. I think he craves a big win. maybe he thinks Martinez is there for the taking.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sat 28 Dec 2013, 12:05 am

Lance wrote:I expect he took a look at Martinez last performance, and thought he has a better chance against him than he does canelo.

cotto has had a lot of big money fights. im surprised hes not content to retire yet. I think he craves a big win. maybe he thinks Martinez is there for the taking.

I'd say that's the other element of his decision. The condition of Martinez is what makes this fight interesting because there's no way Cotto could challenge him at MW if he's anything resembling his old self.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 28 Dec 2013, 1:45 am

Martinez is a better fighter than Cotto particularly on the psychological side of things. The fight depends on how much Sergio has left. Cotto has always been a great ppv draw and should do the numbers.

Cotto has had too many wars to beat Canelo.  I don't rate Alverez, slow, predictable, poor footwork, dodgy stamina etc. Peak Cotto beats Caneli for me but not now.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 28 Dec 2013, 7:06 am

For me its not even about the wars Cotto has had, he just is too small to challenge 160lbers.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 28 Dec 2013, 12:40 pm

At least with an unlikely Martinez win he is divisional #1, altho no amount of money would ever get him to defend against GGG.

With an unlikely win against Canelo he's still not divisional #1. Also there's the Mayweather factor. Cotto probably wants a rematch and the trinket of WBC 160 champ may be enough to entice Floyd into it.

A shame it's not GGG getting the shot at Martinez as he's vastly more deserving than Cotto.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 28 Dec 2013, 12:44 pm

Exactly, at 5'7 he is a small LMW and comparing him to the 6ft fighters like chavez, murray, barker etc then martinez will just bully him

Cotto has made a decent go of it at LMW but on closer inspection he has only fpught one real light middleweight in trout who schooled him. Dzinzuruk, mayorga, marg and floyd are all really career welters, and out of that list of opponents Dzinzuruk just isn't world class and the other 2 (excluding floyd) were well past their best

Against trout his punches just bounced off of trout and he couldn't take the shots to the body and a couple times he looked like he would be stopped. Martinez is even bigger and will adopt the same tactic. Keep it long and tie him up or even push him back on the inside so he can't use his left hool

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 28 Dec 2013, 12:48 pm

Think you mean Foreman not Dzinziruk, can't agree with Marg, Foreman? and Mayorga being Welterweights, they're more like middleweights than they are Welterweights and always have been. It's a wonder that Marg and Mayorga were ever able to make 147lbs let alone with such regularity, I think Marg outweighed Cotto by almost a stone in their first fight.

What gets me is when people go on about peak Cotto beating these 154lbers like Alvarez and Trout which I really dont think he does, just too small and not not skillful enough.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 28 Dec 2013, 1:02 pm

No I mean dzinzurik, he hadn't fought at 154 prior to Wolak (spelling)

How many times has marg fought at 154?

Mayorga perhaps not but he was a shell so might as well have been

Didn't include foreman as he was a weak paper champ and was only stopped because his knee gave way

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 28 Dec 2013, 1:10 pm

Oh you mean Delvin Rodriguez, Dzinziruk was the apparent master jabber who got outjabbed by Martinez.

I think we're looking at things from different perspectives here WHU, who's more of a 154lber Mayweather or Thurman? Mayorga and Margarito were never that good in the first place so boiled down as far as they possibly could, neither would have been out of place fighting at middleweight. Margarito is a lot bigger than Cotto regardless of what the weight limit is but I do agree that Cotto has beaten nobody of real note at 154lbs.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 28 Dec 2013, 1:23 pm

Yea sorry meant rodriquez

And I know what your saying but the fact is, being a big welter doesn't mean you'll automatically do well at 154 and the aforementioned fighters were either at well past there best, not NATURAL at 154 or just a tune up fight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 28 Dec 2013, 1:38 pm

I'd say they are natural at 154lbs but their lack of skill and size advantage means they can't beat men of their own size. Personally don't think people the fight night weight of Margarito, Williams or Mayorga should have been able to fight at welterweight, it's making a mockery of the weight classes.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 28 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

Martinez will KO Cotto within 9 rounds.

Cotto's got no real gameplan against slick southpaws, as his performance against Trout showed.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down