The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long a break from the gym is too long?

+3
Fists of Fury
theslosty
sikhlion
7 posters

Go down

How long a break from the gym is too long? Empty How long a break from the gym is too long?

Post by sikhlion Sun 22 Dec 2013, 2:33 pm

How long does the body take to de condition from going to the gym? Do you start to loose your fitness quite quickly after a layoff? Around holidays Christmas and winter it's harder to go and I've had a guilty two weeks off and just wondered whether a break is good bad or makes no difference? How long is too long to take a break from the gym before you begin to loose your strength and fitness?

sikhlion

Back to top Go down

How long a break from the gym is too long? Empty Re: How long a break from the gym is too long?

Post by theslosty Mon 23 Dec 2013, 10:05 am

I believe your strength will begin to fade after three weeks out, but once you go back to the gym I find you can recover that pretty quickly.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

How long a break from the gym is too long? Empty Re: How long a break from the gym is too long?

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 23 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm

I've had a month off before. I found that strength diminished slightly, I didn't look as cut and that I was bloody sore for a few days after the first few workouts back. Overall, though, it only takes a week or two to get back in to it. I wouldn't worry too much.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon 30 Dec 2013, 12:18 am

I've been out of the gym for 3 months and not been on a run either,my longest time off for a decade and a half.
Since the birth of my son has made it hard to get to the gym, I plan on training at home for a while and am about to purchase Some fitness DVDs called insanity
and get back into it that way.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Dec 2013, 11:18 am

Don't train at home.........Too many distractions and later is always more convenient.......

create an opening in your schedule and get back into it.......

I have two kids and have always made time........

Respect all your hard work...... and lifting and keeping fit isn't easy.........By not letting what you've EARNED go...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 07 Jan 2014, 12:55 pm

aja424 wrote:I've been out of the gym for 3 months and not been on a run either,my longest time off for a decade and a half.
Since the birth of my son has made it hard to get to the gym, I plan on training at home for a while and am about to purchase Some fitness DVDs called insanity
and get back into it that way.

I'm similar to you aja, my son is 11 weeks old and have only been to the gym once since he has been born.

Have done a work out here and there at home, only about 15 mins, weights, press ups, sit ups, planks. not a lot, but better than nothing.

Not done Insanity, but seen commercials for it.
It looks a killer. My sister in law has it, so might tyr it after she is done.
Thing is though, it says to do it 45 mins per day, 6 days a week to get the results.
The programme is for 60 days.

Have taken a few moves from that into my home workout.
Good luck with it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue 07 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm

Good luck mate, still haven't purchased it as someone is borrowing theirs to me. Since new year I have managed 2 runs and a circuit.
The circuit incorporates skipping, back to basics floor exercises and the use of a barbell,dumbell. Am gonna put a punchbag in the back garden soon and use that to keep fit also.
Good luck with the baby and hopefully when he establishes some kind of routine, so can you with the gym.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 13 Jan 2014, 4:34 pm

Insanity is very good stuff indeed, but dont be fooled into thinking its some new style training...boxers, wrestlers, rugby players etc etc have been doing it for years and years - decades, probably centuries...its just been re-marketed to make money (which its obviously doing). You can write your own instanity style training.

Dont forget your if your like me going hard at it for the full year, your body doesnt get much recuperation time.
It does your body good sometimes to have a complete break from any physical exercise (ok maybe the odd slow jog wont hurt) just to let the body completely recover and recharge.

if you've had two weeks off over Christmas then great, your recharged and can now come back in to the gym all guns blazing ready to break bars....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 15 Jan 2014, 2:19 pm

Cheers aja.
You to mate.

Want to get back to going to the gym twice a week as soon as i can.
One week day, then sunday mornings.

I would love to go running, but injred my knee playing football in 09.

Enjoy swimming, again used to go couple times a month.

Have cut down on the crappy food to which was part of my problem in the past, especially as i'm not doing regular excersise.

I'll find a routine and get back to it in time.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Tue 01 Apr 2014, 10:17 am

An update on the insanity workout. Been at it for 9 weeks now 4-5 times a week. Feeling fitter, body feels harder and looks better. Lost just over a stone and down 3 holes on my belt.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down