The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will the last player to leave Welsh rugby please turn off the light...

+13
doctor_grey
maestegmafia
GavinDragon
HammerofThunor
Cardiff Dave
fa0019
profitius
Biltong
Comfort
Welly
Impossible Standards
bedfordwelsh
No9
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Will the last player to leave Welsh rugby please turn off the light... - Page 2 Empty Will the last player to leave Welsh rugby please turn off the light...

Post by No9 Thu 5 Dec - 11:33

First topic message reminder :

... Hibbard now... its about time the WRU stepped in with central contracts or there will be no one left to centrally contract...

If we want the game in Wales to survive, we have to act now and enforce an international ban on players outside of Wales, as do the All Blacks.

I line must be drawn NOW for those already contracted outside of Wales, as not much we can do there, as I doubt the WRU could afford to buy them out of their contracts, but we have to rigoursly enforce the rule going forward so that all the players know exactly where they stand.

At this rate, the Regions wont have to worry about releasing players for the notorious WRU 4th AI, as there wont be any regional players in the Welsh fist XV.

No9

Back to top Go down

Will the last player to leave Welsh rugby please turn off the light... - Page 2 Empty Re: Will the last player to leave Welsh rugby please turn off the light...

Post by Guest Fri 6 Dec - 10:46

rodders wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Whats the big issue with players leaving for France, England etc anyhow?

Is it having a detrimental impact on the national game? Doesn't look like it to me.
When they fielded all their top players in Wales they were still unable to qualify for the KO stages in the HC with any frequency. Whats the difference from then to now?

Now at least say 15 players are now in foreign leagues... thats 15 more places for players to get top level experience... and given 3 of 4 are still competitive its not like they're just getting thumped by everyone.

The cost of say Richard Hibbards contract was say 150k to his club and the union (total guess). By 1 player moving out of the system it frees up money for say 5 more professional players. 5 more are able to train like professionals rather than working in a sports shop/gym/bar/cafe when they play in the minor leagues in Wales.
Totally agree with this. In fact I think it the IRFU who have got this badly wrong.

Central contracts might help the regions be competitive but when there is only a small number of pro teams like Wales, Scotland and Ireland have - having all the best players confined to those sides is detrimental to the national side, as its difficult to bring young talent through and build depth. The central contracting also removes an element of meritocracy from selection as there is a financial incentive to select the centrally contracted player over one who isn't.

The situation Wales find themselves in isn't ideal, but it is helping bring through talented Welsh players via the regions, even if the teams themselves look relatively weak in European terms.
I see what you're both saying, but it wasn't long ago Rodders that your fellow countrymen were telling Wales to 'get it's house in order' because they felt the league (and therefore their teams) were being negatively affected by weak Welsh teams. It does the league and the Scottish and Irish teams no favours to play against teams full of academy players, U20 stars, etc., rather than against seasoned, international quality pros. I don't see that it would do our players much good either as we'd be getting hammerings in the Pro12 and Europe.

We must try to keep star players at the regions - for the sake of Welsh rugby, the Pro 12 and the other Pro 12 teams. Don't all nations have some sort of duty to do that for their league?

Back to top Go down

Will the last player to leave Welsh rugby please turn off the light... - Page 2 Empty Re: Will the last player to leave Welsh rugby please turn off the light...

Post by lostinwales Fri 6 Dec - 11:18

The difference with Scotland is that there are a lot of players playing in other countries but the home teams are still packed with a fair number of internationals (of varying quality, but...).

The big question about the Welsh regions is how can they possibly develop a long term fan base with kids alone?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 6 Dec - 11:45

lostinwales wrote:The difference with Scotland is that there are a lot of players playing in other countries but the home teams are still packed with a fair number of internationals (of varying quality, but...).

The big question about the Welsh regions is how can they possibly develop a long term fan base with kids alone?
Thats a very good question, the Regions sell tickets and merchandise on the backs of their big names, Warburton, Halfpenny, AWJ, Hibbard, Priestland, JD, Faleatu etc etc but how many times do the fans get to see these players?

This week we have seen the marketing launch of this seasons double header (which I think is a good idea) but will the fans that go get to see all the big names play.

I am hoping to go this season but even as a Dragons fan I will be very disappointed if I dont get to see the likes of Warburton v Tipuric or Jenkins against Jones or Davies against AWJ etc etc
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 8 Dec - 13:31

Good to see Biggar and Adam Jones have both said they want to stay in Wales, Warburton too. Lets hope that the WRU and the regions concerned can make this happen.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 8 Dec - 13:48

maestegmafia wrote:Good to see Biggar and Adam Jones have both said they want to stay in Wales, Warburton too. Lets hope that the WRU and the regions concerned can make this happen.
To be fair Meas many welsh players have said similar things but have moved abroad. JD2 most recently said something similar so I think most people will take these comments with a piece of salt tbh.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 8 Dec - 18:25

Most want to stay but if the money is better elsewhere then who can blame them.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 8 Dec - 18:33

So another day gone and two more rumors: by the end of this season we will have three quarters of our starting XV abroad:
Warburton
Halfpenny
Hibbard
Ian Evans
Bradley Davies
John Davies
Alyn Wyn Jones

I predict all these players will be leaving next year with others like Adam Jones, Scott Williams also a probability (i'm hoping these two will be more likely to stay though)

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 9 Dec - 10:48

Could you put together a decent Welsh Exiles 15?

1. Gill
2. Hibbard
3. James? Eifion Lewis Roberts?
4. Davies
5. Charteris
6. Lydiate
7. ??
8. ??
9. Phillips/Knoyle/Peel
10. Hook
11. North
12. Davies
13. ??
14. Brew? Tom James?
15. Byrne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 9 Dec - 11:05

IronMike wrote:Could you put together a decent Welsh Exiles 15?

1. Gill
2. Hibbard
3. Mitchell (Exeter)
4. Davies
5. Charteris
6. Lydiate
7. ??
8. ??
9. Phillips/Knoyle/Peel
10. Hook
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Davies
14. Brew? Tom James?
15. Byrne

Not a great side is it

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 9 Dec - 13:21

you can probably add Warburton, Halfpenny and Ian Evans to that team.

Copelands going to Munster at the end of this season too, being a blues fan is painful at the moment.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2