The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toby Flood thinking of giving up England ambitions and moving to France.

+28
nathan
broadlandboy
yappysnap
Geordie
Nachos Jones
flankertye
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
BamBam
Exiledinborders
thomh
majesticimperialman
ScarletSpiderman
ChequeredJersey
mystiroakey
lostinwales
Bathman_in_London
Scrumpy
Breadvan
sirtidychris
Toadfish
hugehandoff
Barney McGrew did it
beshocked
doctor_grey
maestegmafia
No 7&1/2
Hood83
Rugby Fan
32 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Toby Flood thinking of giving up England ambitions and moving to France. - Page 3 Empty Toby Flood thinking of giving up England ambitions and moving to France.

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 04 Dec 2013, 2:11 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/10492703/Toby-Flood-puts-his-England-World-Cup-place-in-jeopardy-by-looking-at-moving-abroad-next-season.html

Toby Flood, the England and Leicester fly-half, has refused to rule out moving overseas next season, which would almost certainly put him out of consideration for the 2015 Rugby World Cup. Flood, who is out of contract at the end of this season, has been linked with Toulon to follow in the footsteps of Jonny Wilkinson, his former Newcastle team-mate.

Talks are under way on a variety of fronts, and the only element Flood, who has been at Leicester for 5½ years, was able to confirm on Tuesday was that he would not join another club in England. Leicester have asked for a decision within four weeks.

“I would never leave Leicester for another English club but I know I have to make up my mind as it affects other people and their livelihoods. I have spoken to Stuart [Lancaster] and tried to be as open and honest as I can be. But, no, I haven’t been on the phone yet to Jonny. I imagine a move [overseas] would probably rule me out of England. For me, it is no longer about whether a move might further my career. It is about where I feel comfortable, about who I enjoy hanging out with and where I’m living.

"Lifestyle is important. Of course a home World Cup will be amazing but maybe if you flipped memories from the 2007 and 2011 World Cups [marred by England scandal] then I wouldn’t have the same bitter taste. I realise that Stuart can make no guarantees. There is no perfect decision here, no right or wrong. If I stay, then I injure my knee a month before the World Cup, well, that shows there is no ideal scenario. It will be based on my gut instinct. When I signed for Leicester, I came down by train from Newcastle and there was the contract in front of me. It was a no-brainer.”
I suppose he could argue he'd be getting European competition in France.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Toby Flood thinking of giving up England ambitions and moving to France. - Page 3 Empty Re: Toby Flood thinking of giving up England ambitions and moving to France.

Post by nathan Sat 21 Dec 2013, 1:53 pm

Flood tweeted he wasn't making a decision till January so nothing is confirmed yet.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Toby Flood thinking of giving up England ambitions and moving to France. - Page 3 Empty Re: Toby Flood thinking of giving up England ambitions and moving to France.

Post by maestegmafia Sat 21 Dec 2013, 2:10 pm

Scrumpy wrote:I don't know why people respond to this joker, it's very clear he has another agenda.
 steam

Incredible that you have the bloody audacity to respond as such...

You have been banned and changed your name on here so many times we lose count.

The only thing in common is your moronic continuity to rubbish other posters.

A I said, it's about time you grew up or buggered off...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 21 Dec 2013, 3:42 pm

You really need to calm down and stop being so angry towards other posters, why do you bother?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 21 Dec 2013, 5:57 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:There was another thread recently where MM repeatedly asked an english poster why he was posting on a welsh thread.

I think the irony goes flying way way above his head

Makes me wonder how many user ids that poster is now using.

Yes that was me. I have one identity have only ever used one & unlike MM I'm not paranoid or abusive.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 21 Dec 2013, 9:48 pm

Flood is confirmed as leaving Leicester and has said he wouldn't leave for another English side. Rumours are that it'll be Tolouse who desperately need a creative 10 and who have a selection of electric backs for him to utilise.

Leaves Lancaster in an awkward position. If Farrell gets injured then there are no flyhalfs with more than five caps available to him unless one of Goode, Hodgson or Wilkinson come out of retirement. He has just lost a 60 cap well rounded flyhalf who gives his team an attacking dimension his starter doesn't. Will Lancaster now regret not giving Flood game time and trying to convince him to stay or will he regret not giving Burns or Ford game time in meaningful matches so they are capable of challenging Farrell?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat 21 Dec 2013, 10:28 pm

He's done the right thing for his career. SL never really trusted him - a few 20 min appearances as a centre were a waste of everyone's time. Much like MJ, SL has a problem with developing back-ups. God help us if Farrell gets injured, or Robshaw, or Wood, or Manu (oh wait a minute...).
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 22 Dec 2013, 10:53 am

Don't you think it would be somehow ironic if Flood signs with Toulon?  Playing in Jonny's shadow once again.  Even if Jonny were to retire (which now seems less likely), he would still be in Jonny's shadow.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 22 Dec 2013, 11:18 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Flood is confirmed as leaving Leicester and has said he wouldn't leave for another English side. Rumours are that it'll be Tolouse who desperately need a creative 10 and who have a selection of electric backs for him to utilise.

Leaves Lancaster in an awkward position. If Farrell gets injured then there are no flyhalfs with more than five caps available to him unless one of Goode, Hodgson or Wilkinson come out of retirement. He has just lost a 60 cap well rounded flyhalf who gives his team an attacking dimension his starter doesn't. Will Lancaster now regret not giving Flood game time and trying to convince him to stay or will he regret not giving Burns or Ford game time in meaningful matches so they are capable of challenging Farrell?

If SL doesn't regret effectively shunting Flood out then he's a fool. Our best fly-half, in my opinion, by some way, and the only real experience in that position. Should have been first choice with Farrell and Burns being brought through slowly.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 22 Dec 2013, 12:19 pm

Methinks you are right. How can England be left with almost zero experience in the fly half position as a backup to Farrell (who was just effing concussed)? Foolish.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Dec 2013, 1:55 pm

Hood83 wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Flood is confirmed as leaving Leicester and has said he wouldn't leave for another English side. Rumours are that it'll be Tolouse who desperately need a creative 10 and who have a selection of electric backs for him to utilise.

If SL doesn't regret effectively shunting Flood out then he's a fool. Our best fly-half, in my opinion, by some way, and the only real experience in that position. Should have been first choice with Farrell and Burns being brought through slowly.

Watch out I said the same thing and was shouted down for it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sun 22 Dec 2013, 2:10 pm

That you did, but it was the way you said it!

Toby Flood thinking of giving up England ambitions and moving to France. - Page 3 1347041234
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 22 Dec 2013, 4:02 pm

Is Twelvetrees the potential backup to Farrell? Since none of the other pretenders really get my juices flowing, why not put Billy in there and give him a run?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Dec 2013, 8:31 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Is Twelvetrees the potential backup to Farrell?  Since none of the other pretenders really get my juices flowing, why not put Billy in there and give him a run?  

George Ford is your man. Having a great season

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sun 22 Dec 2013, 8:56 pm

Far too soon for young George.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 22 Dec 2013, 9:29 pm

I think Ford might be ok if there's someone like Twelvetrees or Goode in the team who can take the kicks at goal for him. We certainly need to seriously look at other options and Twelvetrees has looked iffy at 10 in AP games. IC is by far his best position.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 22 Dec 2013, 10:03 pm

For match day sides twelvetrees is an option as the cover ( Lancaster used to have him or Goode plus a proper fly half in his Saxons sides) but I don't see him as a viable starting 10 at this point.

I'd be very iffy about ford. All the indications are cipriani is on his way back to the set up.

Is it certain that floods contract doesn't have release clauses in? I have wondered though how much his long term recurrent injury problems have pushed this decision. I'm not convinced at all he can take 2 years of continuous rugby up to the next World Cup, and he must be aware of how much longevity quitting test rugby would give his career and protect his long term health.

Or maybe he's just after the easy cash.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Mon 23 Dec 2013, 2:02 pm

Fair play to him, have a feeling he's gonna tear it up at Toulouse and in about a year we'll all be hounding Lancaster to relax the overseas rule.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 23 Dec 2013, 6:36 pm

I think he will have a cracking time at Tolouse. His skills are everything they are missing from their backline. If McAllister stays on and moves to 12 with Fickou at 13 that's a midfield to scare most teams. That's with David and Fritz as backups. Throw in their back three options and they'll be scoring tries for fun.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Dec 2013, 7:01 pm

Quick question guys, we have all seen the Welsh exodus and the Scots have a fair few guys playing outside of Scotland but until recently the English and Irish haven't been so affected by the money on offer in France.

But and especially given that Lancaster religously sticks to the play in England to play for England, are you worried about a player drain hitting you,

Or do you think it will just be the odd one or two?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 23 Dec 2013, 7:26 pm

There's a few players already over there in Sheridan, Armitage x 2, Noon, Wilkinson etc. As soon as they go abroad they are off the radar under Lancaster's reign. That and the number of teams in the AP has meant the players have enough options and tend not to go off to France. Flood has gone because Lancaster has repeatedly used him as a backup and hasn't allowed him opportunity to stake a claim for the shirt and so he is disillusioned and has chosen to take the money in France.

It's a serious blow to both England and Tigers but he was always likely to go now or just after the RWC.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Dec 2013, 7:45 pm

Sam,

Out of those I am guessing S Armitage is biggest loss to you guys at the moment?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 23 Dec 2013, 7:54 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Sam,

Out of those I am guessing S Armitage is biggest loss to you guys at the moment?  

Not really. Good player though he is and yes he didnt get much of a chance when he did get his caps- but he wouldnt displace Robshaw

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Dec 2013, 8:19 pm

lostinwales wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Sam,

Not really. Good player though he is and yes he didnt get much of a chance when he did get his caps- but he wouldnt displace Robshaw

Lost,

That surprises me a bit as for a while I heard a lot of people saying he was your answer at 7. If thats the case then I guess Flood is the first big one to go now.

Wilko was coming to the end of carear and deserves the money and lifestyle.

D Armitage, for is just a liability.

Noon never really cut it and Sheridan seemed to be a bit of a marmite player.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 23 Dec 2013, 8:32 pm

D Armitage is a funny one. He is one of a very select few who came out of the last RWC from England looking good. He has of course got form in areas we wouldnt like but he can be a cracking player.

But then, would you pick him instead of Foden or Brown? probably not

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Dec 2013, 8:48 pm

Browns a class act IMO and Foden seems to be finding his best form again which of course is good for England bad for the rest.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 23 Dec 2013, 9:09 pm

Sheridan would probably be in the squad if he was playing in the AP, glass jaw aside he was a very good loosehead somewhat over hyped a bit by the media.

Steffon Armitage could have paired with Robshaw ahead of Wood which would have given is better balance in the backrow as I'm still not convinced by the Wood/Robshaw combination.

No irreplaceable player has left for France but I'd say our only irreplaceable player is Dan Cole and he's the marquee player at his boyhood club.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 23 Dec 2013, 10:49 pm

I think Delon Armitage is a loss. Yes, that seems odd when we look at the competition for full back but he has a rare combination of skills as far as England are concerned. He can play full back, wing or centre (granted, he hasn't moved around positionally much of late) and can kick goals.

I know a few Narraway supporters who think we missed out there. I have no opinion on the player at all.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 23 Dec 2013, 11:01 pm

Does Narroway play anymore?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 23 Dec 2013, 11:36 pm

yappysnap wrote:Does Narraway play anymore?
Still with Perpignan. He played for them back at Kingsholm in October. He's five years younger than Nick Easter and about the same age as Waldrom.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Tue 24 Dec 2013, 4:59 pm

Very left field I know but what chance Cipriani to Tigers?

I suspect it will be Priestland or another overseas player, however my preferred choice would be to see Burns given the opportunity (good choice for england) to play behind a quality pack, though With Twelvetrees having moved the other way it would seem a bit back to front wrong way round.....

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 24 Dec 2013, 5:19 pm

Priestland burns and some French guy are the top rumours currently. They previously tried to recruit cipriani but he wanted tongi to a club where he would be first choice and get paid more than a bag of monkey nuts and the promise of getting to see the trophy cabinet.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 24 Dec 2013, 5:45 pm

Priestland has also been linked with Wasps.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 24 Dec 2013, 5:48 pm

So has cancer

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 24 Dec 2013, 5:55 pm

Definitely hoping Tigers go for Burns, would be great to see him play with Youngs behind a quality pack.

No need to import average foreign players if a young English player with that talent and potential is available, especially given Leicester's history with EQ talent

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 24 Dec 2013, 9:18 pm

Piestland is rumoured to be in line for. Wales central contract and I have heard rumours Tigers aren't keen on the release cause he wants in his contract.

Likely to be Burns but could be Wieniski or however you spell it. Colin Slade was also linked but those rumours seem to have died.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed 25 Dec 2013, 1:52 pm

Sheridan is having yet more surgery, he might never play together. Delon Armitage was a class fullback for England, but Brown looks great at 15, and Foden is fantastic backup.
He's injured currently isn't he?

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 26 Dec 2013, 10:04 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Piestland is rumoured to be in line for. Wales central contract and I have heard rumours Tigers aren't keen on the release cause he wants in his contract.

Likely to be Burns but could be Wieniski or however you spell it. Colin Slade was also linked but those rumours seem to have died.

That is great news for Wales...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3