The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why didnt the tyson lewis rematch happen

+8
TopHat24/7
JabMachineMK2
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Soldier_Of_Fortune
mobilemaster8
rIck_dAgless
Seanusarrilius
wheelchair1991
12 posters

Go down

why didnt the tyson lewis rematch happen Empty why didnt the tyson lewis rematch happen

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

I was watching the Tyson v etiene fight and in the post fight interview showtime said he had lewis fight next in a rematch why didn't it happen?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

why didnt the tyson lewis rematch happen Empty Re: why didnt the tyson lewis rematch happen

Post by Guest Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:03 pm

Did you watch Tyson/Lewis? If so, there's your answer

If not, go watch it....and there's your answer.

Back to top Go down

why didnt the tyson lewis rematch happen Empty Re: why didnt the tyson lewis rematch happen

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:07 pm

yeah I know but despite that they still made it sound like it was set in stone for the rematch to happen, for the record I agree it would have been another beatdown, but why did the rematch not happen when it appears at the time it was all set to happen

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:11 pm

You appear to be answering your own question fella.

The fight was already fairly irrelevant by the time it happened, Tyson being so far past his best it was embarrassing. He was still a name but to all exceptthe terminally stupid, he was never going to be anything other than a freak show.

On the off-chance that the first fight had been competitive, the rematch may have come about but even Lewis would have balked at beating up Mike's remains.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:14 pm

There was a contract in place for a rematch. It was brokeen by Tyson for obvious reasons. End of. Least necessary rematch, ever.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:16 pm

ive just done some research it appears don king had a hand in it as lewis sued him in 2003 because of it

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:25 pm

Don't think Tyson wanted to finish that fight, let alone have another Smile

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:27 pm

Lewis sued Tyson only because he wanted the money a rematch would bring. Tyson obviously didn't fancy another beating for the sake of lining Lewis' pockets

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:29 pm

Not the least necessary rematch, but the least necessary match in the world of boxing history.

Tyson was so far past it, as Dave says, that it was never going to be competitive from round 1.

Had they fought in 86-89 then Tyson probably would gave ripped out his heart and broke his own back in the process

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:40 pm

Lewis only turned Pro in 89 Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:41 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Not the least necessary rematch, but the least necessary match  in the world of boxing history.

Tyson was so far past it, as Dave says, that it was never going to be competitive from round 1.

Had they fought in 86-89 then Tyson probably would gave ripped out his heart and broke his own back in the process
whoops Smile
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:49 pm

Because it didn't need to and would have made no sense.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:59 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Lewis only turned Pro in 89 Laugh
Even more reason why it'd have been a devastating win for Iron Mike then..........!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 03 Dec 2013, 3:11 pm

Because of the gloves Tyson would have had to bite his heart out. But I'm sure he'd have happily done that, he liked something to chew on.

Lewis would have had no chance because he was rubbish and chinny. Prime mike massacres any heavy in history.

Well except James tillis, just a styles thing really. Oh and tucker and smith, but they just came to survive. So prime mike massacres any heavy in history, except those three.. And maybe a few other spoilers

Hope that's clear.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 3:29 pm

Because he got murdered in the first fight.......Like has been said.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 3:49 pm

Yeh i know soldier.

But it shows how meaningless the fight was 15 years after Mikes most potent years.

Lewis was just starting a career at a weight in which Tyson was destroying everyone.

He then fought him a million years later.

Pathetic win which should be put on the other topic of great fighters on a record.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 03 Dec 2013, 4:24 pm

I wince every time I think about the cuts on Tyson's eyes in that fight

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Dec 2013, 4:28 pm

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake wrote:I wince every time I think about the cuts on Tyson's eyes in that fight
I wince every time I think that Tyson could have castrated Lewis with his teeth beforehand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 03 Dec 2013, 6:04 pm

I wince every time I cook some mince, but then think about my friend Vince while listening to a bit of Prince.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Tue 03 Dec 2013, 7:48 pm

If they had fought any time after Manny Steward was looking after Lewis I'm pretty sure that Tyson would have come off second best. Lewis wouldn't have been beaten before he got in the ring as most of Tyson's opponents were and he had the tools to deal with Tyson,probably by knockout.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down