The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby, the sport of "freaks".

5 posters

Go down

Rugby, the sport of "freaks". Empty Rugby, the sport of "freaks".

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 2 Dec - 13:40

Fascinating article in the hootsman regarding the increase in size of pro players and the impact it is having on the sport in general.

Arguing that the massive red meat munching gym-aholics might be having a detrimental effect on the game.

Iain Morrison wrote:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/iain-morrison-size-of-players-is-wrecking-rugby-1-3215377

THE autumn series of international matches was both entertaining and educational. Hitherto, I had no idea what purpose the spleen served, but now I know.

It has been strategically placed just below the rib cage to offer Fiji’s tacklers something to aim at, because the Italian centre Luca Morisi had his burst by winger Asaeli Tikoirotuma. The Italian’s spleen, or what was left of it, had to be surgically removed.

It wasn’t the only injury to catch the eye. I would not normally lose too much sleep over England hooker Dylan Hartley getting bashed but I wasn’t even aware that lungs could be bruised. Well, his can, as we discovered during the All Blacks match. Evidently bruised lungs are more usually associated with boxing so such an injury tends to make you stop and think.

Rugby is a rough sport. The problem is that it’s getting rougher with every passing season. Club coaches expect to be without 25-33 per cent of their players at any one time due to injury. The players are getting bigger and so too are the collisions. In fact one orthopaedic surgeon recently opined that rugby was becoming a sport for “freaks”.

Professor John Fairclough accepts that he is not an expert on the game but he was the president of the British Sports Trauma Association, so he is not completely ignorant of high-impact sports.

“The game [rugby] has to acknowledge that the impact at ruck and maul has to be reduced,” said the good professor. Had the biff and bash expert also been a rugby buff, he would have added the tackle to that list. “Rugby used to be a sport for all shapes and sizes and now it is a sport for freaks,” he added. And he isn’t alone because, in the very same week, Welsh legend JPR Williams, himself an orthopaedic surgeon, made a similar point. “If it’s all going to be about size then rugby union will die. It’s strength has always been that, regardless of how big or small you are, there’s always a place in the side for you if you’re good enough. The players now are much bigger, less skilful and it’s all about power.”

He’s right. Rugby is now a game of power. The reasons are many and varied: professionalism has heralded a revolution in conditioning, but the stop/start nature of the game also plays a part, so my heart sank when I read that the use of two referees will be trialled in next year’s South African Varsity Cup. South African Rugby Union referees boss Andre Watson said it would herald “less stoppages and more flow”, without pausing to explain how, exactly, this miracle would come about. Anyone who expects two more eyes and one more whistle to result in fewer stoppages rather than more is seriously deluded. This is just one of the reasons that rugby is slowly morphing into American football, and just look at the size of the beasts in that particular jungle.

A game in which aerobic fitness is a key component of every player limits the size of those participating because, to put it bluntly, fat blokes can’t run for 80 minutes. But, now, no one has to thanks to the stop/start nature of the modern game and a human arms race has been result.

Referees are part of the problem, not the solution. We already have four (one referee, two assistant referees and one television match official), three of whom can halt play for infringements, while stoppages for injuries are also on the rise. What happened to the directive a few years back to get on with the game while a player receives treatment? Obviously, the game must stop for something serious but, with the ever-increasing number of injuries, it is incumbent on everyone else to get a hurry on, especially the TMO. When Scotland played South Africa the video referee took over three minutes to declare what everyone else in the ground already knew, that Max Evans had not scored a try from Duncan Weir’s grubber kick. Referees are now paranoid about making mistakes, so they “go upstairs” just in case.

Except in exceptional circumstances, TMOs should have the same time as a goalkicker (60 seconds for a penalty Jonny Sexton!) to make their minds up or concede defeat. Recent changes to the laws allow referees to go back for foul play or forward passes in the lead-up to a try. Another reason to stop the game, another opportunity for players to rest. Admittedly, the ball-in-play time has risen in recent years from 25 minutes at the 1991 Rugby World Cup to 35 minutes at the 2011 version. But the ball-in-play time is something of a red herring because many stoppages now occur with the “time off”. Referees stop the clock so often that the recent Ireland/Samoa match lasted almost two hours from first whistle to last. Analysis of the 2012 Super Rugby season showed that games had around 57 stoppages, each an average of 50 seconds, every one allowing the out-sized players a chance to recover.

On top of stoppages for everything else, play is now interrupted to allow for rafts and rafts of substitutions. Eight are now permitted, more if a front row forward has to return to action. So, up to 11 – on each team. Twenty-two in all. With. A. Stoppage. For. Every. One. Of. Them. If. Needs. Be.

Frustrating isn’t it?

One possible solution would be to restrict substitutions to the front row plus two others (one back, one forward), not because of the time they take but because players who have to last the full 80 minutes will quickly lose muscle mass and the power that goes with it.

Freaks would be replaced by quicker, more skilful players and the game would follow suit. The emphasis on gym work would be reduced in a more balanced sport where skill, speed and vision are as important as power, muscle and the ability to run through brick walls. That simple change would do infinitely more good for the game than adding yet another whistle-happy referee. Luca Morisi would argue the case vehemently if only he still had a spleen to vent.

In addtion BOD's dad a GP, according to this report is worried about his son's health in the years to come

Brian O'Driscoll's father has said he fears for his son's long-term health as he nears the end of a career in which he has sustained a number of concussions and blows to the head.

Speaking to the Mail on Sunday, Frank O'Driscoll, a former Ireland international and now a GP in Dublin, said his son's long career may have consequences in later life.

"Am I worried how Brian will be in 20 years? Absolutely," he told the newspaper. "You only have to go back to boxing and the dementia that has been caused there. The more I read about it, the more logical I find it that this is occurring in rugby. The chemical changes that occur after a bang to the head are absolutely frightening.

"It's horrible to watch your son be concussed. The time [last season] against France when he talked his way back on to the pitch … that was outrageous, it was nonsense. There are vested interests in this, but it is amazing how medically qualified people can make decisions that, in my opinion, are absolutely crazy and, in many cases, totally wrong.

'The good thing about last week's game against the All Blacks was that Brian was taken off, he was assessed properly and not allowed back on. I agreed 100% with that. Brian did not agree with it [at the time] because he was trying to get back on but the players should have no say whatsoever in it. "

O'Driscoll senior echoed comments make to ESPN by JPR Wiliams earlier this week that the size of the players is changing the game. "[They've] become bigger and stronger therefore the hits are bigger. If you're getting hit after hit, you're going to get these consequences."

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/ireland/rugby/story/207783.html#lEjX9IcFsiFqSb5w.99
I think this is a very concerning part of the game, and it's shocking that teams are expecting 25-35% injuries at any given time in the season.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Rugby, the sport of "freaks". Empty Re: Rugby, the sport of "freaks".

Post by GunsGerms Mon 2 Dec - 13:51

Yeah it worries me too that the game is becoming too focused on physicality. It detracts from other parts of the game. Watched a documentary on Jonathan Davies the other day. He was a wonderful player to watch but I dont think he would have been suited to todays game. Sad really as he is such a legend.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 2 Dec - 14:07

So what do you do? One option may be to limit the actual number of subs used, not the size of the bench.

TMO delays. One of the things that struck me about the 'controversial' 3rd Oz try at the weekend that what happened was that Barnes was able to see replays of the incident, upon which (and in the absence of a clear directive from the TMO) he was able to award the try giving the attacking team the benefit of the doubt. I wonder if that kind of thing - allowing for the ref to see the replays - might help speed up some decisions.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 2 Dec - 14:21

lostinwales wrote:So what do you do?
Is this just a phase of the game? Or do we think that wingers will be more like North, Cuthbert, Visser, Bowe etc and players like Shane Williams, Jason Robinson, Clerc etc will be a thing of the past?

Quade Cooper against Wales showed us exactly how guile, flair and skill can unpick big, powerful and organised defences.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 2 Dec - 14:33

Guns

To be fair, Jiffy more than held his own in rugby league both in England and Australia, at a time when league players were bigger and stronger than their union counterparts. Hell, the famous GB victory against Australia at Wembley in 1994 (with Jiffy scoring the key try), the Aussie centres were Mal Maninga (almost 18 stone) and Steve Renoff (17 stone)

It is interesting that RL has reached a point where other than the half backs and hookers (generally smaller and more skilful), player morphology has settled on pretty much the same size and shape for all positions (6' to 6'4 and 16 to 18 stone). Basically, everyone could play as a back row forward (11,12,13), with the slightly quicker guys also playing centre or wing and the nutters more powerful guys also playing front row. There aren't any 20+ stone hulks because even with the interchange rules the pace and continuity of the game still requires a good level of aerobic fitness.

Some interesting thoughts about improving the flow of union - hopefully the revised scrum rules are the first move in this direction (still not perfect, but its looks now as though most scrums are completed in under a minute rather than the 2 minutes + that was happening with the various resets and general fannying about under the CTPE sequence), and we will also see some of the other changes mooted - fewer tactical substitutions, refs hurrying set plays along etc. Improve the continuity and the bigger players will suffer, while the smaller, fitter and more nimble players will be able to exploit the mis-matches that will develop.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 2 Dec - 15:48

nothing compared to basketball where the ave. height is 6'7-6'8 (often the tallest players in a rugby side) and NFL where the ave. weight of the entire team is about 120kg.

Professional sport is often about the biggest, strongest etc etc.

What I used to love about rugby is that it was once a game of all shapes and sizes. You had great match ups... when a flanker ran into a winger you knew who the winner was going to be. John Kirwan was an absolute freak of nature in his day... these days he'd be considered average.

The sport is quickly moving towards everyone as a 6'3, 16st Ivan Drago prototype of each other and skills is taking a backfoot.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down