The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighter's who you thought had lost the mental battle - but then suprised you!!

+6
kingraf
superflyweight
TRUSSMAN66
JabMachineMK2
Mr Bounce
SugarWarrior
10 posters

Go down

Fighter's who you thought had lost the mental battle - but then suprised you!! Empty Fighter's who you thought had lost the mental battle - but then suprised you!!

Post by SugarWarrior Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 12:26

A lot of people thought Groves had lost the mental battle after the final press conference and weigh-ins and stated he had the 'deer in front of the headlights' look and the size of the task had dawned on him.....

Simple question really - which fighters had you written off before the fight but then they suprised you during the fight with a good/ great performance......
Also any examples of where you thought a fighter had lost afight in the build up and were proven right....??

Proven right - I think everyone can agree on Frank Bruno v Mike Tyson 2.....didnt give Frank much of a chance once i saw him walk to the ring and cross himself 100 times!

Any other examples of either?

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Fighter's who you thought had lost the mental battle - but then suprised you!! Empty Re: Fighter's who you thought had lost the mental battle - but then suprised you!!

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 12:31

I don't think anyone (Wlad's handlers especially) gave Corrie Sanders much chance against Klitschko Jr. He was a heavy handed quick southpaw, but back then Wlad was being touted as the next best thing.

Four knockdowns and 1 1/2 rounds later we all knew that Wlad was NOT ready at that stage of his career! Proved us wrong since, mind.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Fighter's who you thought had lost the mental battle - but then suprised you!! Empty Re: Fighter's who you thought had lost the mental battle - but then suprised you!!

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 12:31

Nice to have you on board mate - certainly breaking up these boring Froch/Groves topics.

I'd say Frazier surprised many with his performance before facing Ali - we all know Ali was mentally made of iron and it seemed he'd really got under Joes skin which usually meant an unfocused opponent but Joe went in and really took it to him in the first fight, winning in incredible fashion.

I'd say also Oliver McCall - nobody gave him a chance against the unbeaten champion and he defied the odds and put Lewis on his arse.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 12:45

[quote="JabMachineMK2"]Nice to have you on board mate - certainly breaking up these boring Froch/Groves topics.

quote]

Haha - it was a great fight and a good basis for other articles ...

How about Bruno v Lewis? I think pretty much everyone had this as a nailed on easy night for Lennox - however Frank to his credit produced a fantastic performance for 7-8 rounds and out-jabbed and out-boxed Lennox before he tired.
It gave us a better fight than many expected

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 12:51

Keepon throwing topics out there Mate..You're a welcome addition...

James Buster Douglas............Saw him quit on his stoll against Jaco...Had the beating of tucker and then quit !!!

Then produces a master class of skill, courage and technique against Mike.........

Only to cut and run against Evander for 20 million........

A fight he could have won........Bowe beat Holy and James had a better jab..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 12:57

A lot of people thought Groves had lost the mental battle after the final press conference and weigh-ins and stated he had the 'deer in front of the headlights' look and the size of the task had dawned on him.....

Simple question really - which fighters had you written off before the fight but then they suprised you during the fight with a good/ great performance......
Also any examples of where you thought a fighter had lost afight in the build up and were proven right....??

Proven right - I think everyone can agree on Frank Bruno v Mike Tyson 2.....didnt give Frank much of a chance once i saw him walk to the ring and cross himself 100 times!

Any other examples of either?.

Keepon throwing topics out there Mate..You're a welcome addition...

James Buster Douglas............Saw him quit on his stoll against Jaco...Had the beating of tucker and then quit !!!

Then produces a master class of skill, courage and technique against Mike.........

Only to cut and run against Evander for 20 million........

A fight he could have won........Bowe beat Holy and James had a better jab...
Looks like your writing style is catching on, T-Bone...

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 12:58

Not enough full stops for my liking..........

Talent recognises genius though.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 13:00

Truss' writing style is great when you want to make points, without the schlep that is sentence structure...
I thought groves was superb.... Did nothing wrong all fight.... Deserves a second chance.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 13:06

Truss' style is great for filling up space and making his posts look longer than the couple of bullet points they usually amount to.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 13:09

At least Truss has style.....Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 13:11

Id say Bruno vs Tyson 2 as mentioned.

Didn't Oliver McCall have a breakdown in the ring against Lewis?!

Anyway........

Cant remember anymore.....Douglas vs Tyson?!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 14:09

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not enough full stops for my liking..........

Talent recognises genius though.........

I'll take the compliment Truss Wink 

A lot of the times, im not going to get a chance to proof-read posts or apply proper spelling/ punctuation (at work Crying or Very sad ) so appologies now -

A lot of the times (due to knowledge gaps) im asking you guys for help or your opinions really -
How about Castillo v Floyd 1 - did everyone at the time think Jose was out of his depth against Floyd and fought a great fight. Or wasFloyd seen as unproven at the weight and viewed as a hype-job after the fight?
And in the second fight did anyone feel Jose underperformed - or was the first seen as a fluke by him?

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 14:16

When he does a 'top 10 things I like about truss' thread, we'll know he has this game cracked eh beefster?!

He's a bit polite though, needs to tell me to jog on and stop derailing his thread with cheap hit and runs.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarWarrior Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 14:31

milkyboy wrote:When he does a 'top 10 things I like about truss' thread, we'll know he has this game cracked eh beefster?!

He's a bit polite though, needs to tell me to jog on and stop derailing his thread with cheap hit and runs.

Its ok Milky - i'll 'copy' one of your threads again, in the future - only make it much wittier and get a 'hahahaha' from another poster....at which stage you will throw your tooys out of the pram!!Smile Smile 

SugarWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 14:36

Yeh, that's about right, you catch on quick fella:D

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 15:03

SugarWarrior wrote:
milkyboy wrote:When he does a 'top 10 things I like about truss' thread, we'll know he has this game cracked eh beefster?!

Its ok Milky - i'll 'copy' one of your threads again, in the future -  only make it much wittier and get a 'hahahaha' from another poster....at which stage you will throw your tooys out of the pram!!Smile Smile 

hahahahahahaha

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 29 Nov 2013 - 20:17

Loving the fighting talk!

I might have to dig out some dvds from earlier on this year. I seem to remember thinking one fighter was bricking it on the way to the ring only to put in a great performance. Just cant remember who it was

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Nov 2013 - 10:12

Michael Spinks always looked like a condemned man in interviews before the fight and on his ring walk......

If anyone bucked the outline of a fighter's personality it was Michael........Always a gentleman before the fight and would never make predictions.........

Seemed too gentle to be a fighter...........The Spinks jinx is up there with the best power hitters of his generation.......

A true great and top 20 alltimer for me........Much undervalued is Spinks career.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 30 Nov 2013 - 11:45

good call on spinks... he claimed he was genuinely scared before all his fights.

Bucked the trend against tyson, though by moving from scared to plain terrified.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down