The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone recommend some top Murder mystery movies ??

+10
ONETWOFOREVER
SecretFly
Galted
superflyweight
Stella
compelling and rich
Enforcer
seanmichaels
Adam D
TRUSSMAN66
14 posters

Go down

Can anyone recommend some top Murder mystery movies ?? Empty Can anyone recommend some top Murder mystery movies ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:45 am

Watched D-Tox the other night.......Stallone locked in an AA facility while one of his fellow patients is bringing the waiting list down in a drastic way......Always loved the guess-who murder mysteries....

Maybe my friends on here can give some examples of quality who-dunnits for the next time I get the house to myself ..........Probably some time in 2015.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Can anyone recommend some top Murder mystery movies ?? Empty Re: Can anyone recommend some top Murder mystery movies ??

Post by Guest Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:56 am

Jugding by your latest movie choice I'd suggest ANYTHING other than D-Tox. Anyway...

I recommend you watch "Liar" with Tim Roth whatever you do and...don't get it confused with "Liar Liar" and wait 90 minutes for Jim Carrey to stop goofying off a kill someone with a fork

Back to top Go down

Can anyone recommend some top Murder mystery movies ?? Empty Re: Can anyone recommend some top Murder mystery movies ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:58 am

Cheers will do.........D-Tox did suck......Liked the premise though.................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:16 am

Identity with John Cusack?

Or from the 60/70s - the Beast must Die

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:20 am

Primal Fear was a very good film back in the day (Richard Gere, Ed Norton)

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:23 am

That's weird. I was taking to my wife the other day about Identity, but neither of us could remember the name. When I saw the thread title I was.going to recommend it and ask if anyone knew the name of it!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:41 am

Number 2 wrote:Identity with John Cusack?

Or from the 60/70s - the Beast must Die
Identity will endeavour to watch it cheers................Ha ha The beast must die Calvin lockhart at his best.........Good film that one...Bit of a downer ending though.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:03 am

do the likes of seven and usual suspects count as murder mystery, if so then there my favorites but good chance most will/should have seen them already.

its been a while since i saw identity and have only watched it the once but i did enjoy it

always enjoyed the bone collecter and didnt mind from hell, there all i can think of

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:56 pm

I like the Morgan Freeman films - Kiss The Girls and Along Came A Spider.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:18 pm

James Patterson must have s**t a brick when Freeman was cast in the lead role as, for years, Alex Cross was described as a Denzel Washington type, think there's even a reference to Denzel in one of the books. Then Denzel goes and does Bone Collecter...gutted!

Got bored with Patterson churning books out faster than I could read them. In one book, Cross talking to the killer on the phone and then the killer drops down through the ceiling. Who can't hear the bloke talking upstair on the phone? Utter ****

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:20 pm

DAVE667 wrote:James Patterson must have s**t a brick when Freeman was cast in the lead role as, for years, Alex Cross was described as a Denzel Washington type, think there's even a reference to Denzel in one of the books. Then Denzel goes and does Bone Collecter...gutted!

Got bored with Patterson churning books out faster than I could read them. In one book, Cross talking to the killer on the phone and then the killer drops down through the ceiling. Who can't hear the bloke talking upstair on the phone? Utter ****
Indeed. If the builder has been so shoddy as to put up a ceiling which collapses when somebody walks across it, he's hardly likely to have gone to the bother of putting in proper sound insulation materials.

On topic - an old b-movie and a bit odd, but "Shock Corridor" by Sam Fuller just about fits the bill. It's about a journalist who manages to get himself committed to a mental asylum in order to solve the murder of one of the patients. Like a much better version of Shutter Island.

Can also recommend "The List of Adrian Messenger". More comedy than thriller and wouldn't want to say too much else about it as any description would be full of spoliers.

Not sure how easy it is to track down either film these days (I used to have a VHS copy of Shock Corridor and I've only ever seen The List of Adrian Messenger on TV).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:29 pm

Sounds like the guy who's house it was needs a good lawyer !!

That rules Super out...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Was ages ago that I watched it but I recall Death on the Nile being quite good.  May have been that I was too slow-witted to work out the whodunnit bit though.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:45 pm

The thing with those Christie films is Galted.......That the person who couldn't possibly have done it is always the killer.....

The guy was apparently shot before the murder in the Nile one whilst the rest had a chance to kill the victim.......So you know it's him..

As with the Ten little indians one where the Judge gets shot and yet that's the only "murder" you don't see..So you know he's stil a live....

Look for the guy that couldn't have done it......and he's your Man !!!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:10 am

True, Truss, but you need the explanation to back up the identification. Christie books/films tend to be a bit formulaic but Death on the Nile was a step up.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:25 am

Galted wrote:True, Truss, but you need the explanation to back up the identification.  Christie books/films tend to be a bit formulaic but Death on the Nile was a step up.
Which is the one where everyone is the killer... Murder on the Orient Express.

Spolier alert.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:02 am

They're looking to remake that one...Murder on the Replacement Bus Service.

Shutter Island is good but the book is infinitely better...bit like Mystic River.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:18 am

I like Lehane's work. Read a few and they've all been excellent.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:36 am

just reading through the Kenzie/Gennaro series again. about a quarter of the way through "Prayers for Rain" just as good as the last time I read them

Also a huge fan of the Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke (Tommy Lee Jones played the lead in "In the Electric Mist) and I really enjoy the Matt Scudder stuff by Lawrence Block. Probably more TV movie fodder but they'd be worth watching if done well.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:37 am

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy is intricate, atmospheric and involving.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:39 am

However, after you find out whodunnit the film drags on for another seven hours for reasons known only to the Director

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:45 am

whodunnit shouldn't have let himself be caught so early then. Evasion and subterfuge would have kept him at arms length perhaps even past the end credits, the idiot.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 am

Don't think he let himself be caught, he was outsmarted by the micro-breasted heroine and her companion.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:24 am

The Passion is a great murder mystery.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:21 am

Memento
Brick
Insomnia
Jar City
Seven
LA Confidential

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:37 am

I will suggest Color Of Night starring Bruce Willis.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:09 am

lucky number slevin?

Thomas Crown affair, though more thief mystery...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:12 am

For laughs there's Neil Simon's Murder By Death:

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:13 am

The X Factor.

Well....it murders music every week.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down