The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 10

+15
The Boss
superflyweight
Dolphin Ziggler
Trebs
MIG
compelling and rich
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Il Gialloblu
JuliusHMarx
TopHat24/7
The Womble
seanmichaels
Galted
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best song with an emotion or emotional response in the title

The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 8 ]
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 10 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 9 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 63

The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Empty The Culture Cup round 10

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Oct 2013, 8:48 am

First topic message reminder :

So here we are with the penultimate round of 2013’s Culture Cup.  There was going to be 12 rounds and a bonus round but I’ll be honest, my enthusiasm is almost at an end so you’ll have to make do with 10 rounds and a double pointer that will separate the men from the boys.  Round 10 brings us the poll for  ‘Best song with an emotion or emotional response in the title’.  With a couple of notable songs banned, it has thrown up some pretty good choices although we have one or two picks that may be considered controversial.  I deliberated long and hard over one of them in particular but have come down on the side of allowing it.  So, what happened in round 9  and  'Best piece of literature with a place or building in the title'….

It is getting a little tiresome typing it out every week, but Hero and compelling & rich both secured a bag full of points and remain locked at the top.  It will take the double point bonus round to separate our conjoined sisters.  Good job they are not minor celebrities or seanmichaels would surely have slept with them seeing as he is so close behind in third after picking up an impressive 9 points with the only book he has ever read.  Azzy got a strange pick and garnered  7 points for One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, proving that acting like a spoilt brat quite often gets you your own way.  TopHat was this rounds big winner with 12 points and he is breathing down the leaders necks.  Dolphin got his joint highest points haul with Animal Farm which should really have won in my opinion.  Rowley edges further away from superflyweight, reinforcing centuries of English rule over the Scots.  Superfly needs a big last couple of rounds to overtake his nemesis.  If only there was a round on deep fried food, superfly.  jbeadle has edged ahead of ChequeredJersey at the foot of the table but that could all change with anyone up to Jeff still in danger if they have a calamitous last two rounds.

Here is the updated table;

Hero (Charlie & the Chocolate Factory): (9) 81
compelling & rich (LA Confidential): (8) 78
seanmichaels (The Two Towers): (9) 74
Azzy (One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest): (7) 71
TopHat (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy): (12) 66
Adam (Alice in Wonderland): (6) 64
Galted (The Mill on the Floss): (4) 62
onlytreblewinners (The Canterbury Tales): (8) 59
Rowley (Brighton Rock): (5) 54
bhb (The Merchant of Venice): (6) 54
The Womble (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas): (7) 52
The Boss (Dubliners): (6) 51
Dolphin (Animal Farm): (10) 51
superflyweight (Slaughterhouse 5): (4) 48
Union (Where’s Your Caravan): (5) 44
Julius (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz): (5) 44
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Treasure Island): (8) 40
ChequeredJersey (The Hunchback of Notre Dame): (4) 39

The final bonus round is going to be worth double points and will determine the winners and the losers of this year’s Culture Cup.  The question for the bonus round is this:  Who do you think has made the biggest contribution to the history of British culture?  

I have deliberately left it as quite an open question as it should encourage a bit of thought and some interesting picks.  It can be a singer, a group, an artist, a sculptor, an author, a philosopher, a politician, a poet, a scientist, whatever you feel fits the bill.  So long as you can come on here and justify why they deserve your nomination, then it is fair game.  They don’t necessarily have to be British born, but so long as the contribution they have made is undeniably British then it will be allowed (so Jeff, you can nominate Craig Revel Horwood even though he is Australian born).  I will be the sole judge of what qualifies, but take your time and pick wisely as this round is worth double points.

Here is the poll for round 10.  YOU CAN ONLY VOTE FOR ONE SO TAKE YOUR TIME!  Vote cancelling is not allowed.

Remember, IT IS OPEN FOR THE WHOLE FORUM TO VOTE!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 10

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Oct 2013, 11:04 am

Rowley wrote:Don't want to cause hassle Tina but which Winehouse song was it. I like her a lot, I may have voted for that. Although to be fair now I know it is top hat's I probably won't.
He didn't pick a Winehouse song.

He picked someone who had an affair with Kevin Costner.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 30 Oct 2013, 11:06 am

Rowley wrote:Don't want to cause hassle Tina but which Winehouse song was it. I like her a lot, I may have voted for that. Although to be fair now I know it is top hat's I probably won't.
Still bitter over the demotion?? raspberry

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 30 Oct 2013, 11:08 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
He didn't pick a Winehouse song.

He picked someone who had an affair with Kevin Costner.
Was it I Will Always Love You. If so panic over I would sooner vote for UKIP than I would vote for that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 30 Oct 2013, 11:08 am

Tbh I think the whole round, nay, the competition, should be rendered null and void following this spectacular calamitous administrative error.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 30 Oct 2013, 11:08 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:10 f*cking rounds and the first person I miss off a poll had to be you.  Sorry, old boy.

Hopefully Adam or someone can help me edit the poll.  If they can't you'll have to just have to canvass the thread with your choice.

It really wasn't going to get many votes though, was it?
I would laugh if I wasn't so miffed!! She may have been a smackhead but that was one of the greatest love songs of all time and one of the biggest hits in music history!
If you're talking about that Amy Winehouse bird then she shouldn't be allowed here on principle. Found her very annoying.
Agreed.  This woman had more talent in her finger than Amy Skankhouse did in her body and more success with one song than Wino had in her career.
Yazz?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Oct 2013, 11:13 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Tbh I think the whole round, nay, the competition, should be rendered null and void following this spectacular calamitous administrative error.
If it had effected anyone else, I would heartily agree.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 30 Oct 2013, 11:15 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Tbh I think the whole round, nay, the competition, should be rendered null and void following this spectacular calamitous administrative error.
What about if it had affected anyone else?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 30 Oct 2013, 11:16 am

humph

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Oct 2013, 11:16 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
What about if it had affected anyone else?
That as well, dad.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Wed 30 Oct 2013, 12:22 pm

Woohoo! No longer last! Clearly prolonged exposure to 606 is starting to civilize me. I think it must have been reading the limerick thread that did it.

I have no idea how R*pe Me and Psycho Killer were allowed though. Had to go with Friday I'm In Love for this one, given that it was one of my back-up choices.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 30 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

think this one is rightly between righteous brothers, the cure and manics for me, all great choices.

surprised not one person went for a beatles song, there's a few to go at as well

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Oct 2013, 12:30 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:

I have no idea how R*pe Me and Psycho Killer were allowed
I have tried to justify R*pe Me on page 1, JB. Similar argument could be applied to Psycho Killer as well.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm

Your nomination is now up there, TopHat.

Thanks for amending it, Adam.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 30 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:

I have no idea how R*pe Me and Psycho Killer were allowed though. Had to go with Friday I'm In Love for this one, given that it was one of my back-up choices.
From the Urban Dictionary:

24. psycho

noun.

a person who
1. lives in their own fantasy world;
2. believes their own lives;
3.thinks they have friends that will help them kick your ass when you say something logical;
4. does not understand common sense, integrity, dignity or self respect;
5. causes unnecessary problems for attention;
6. pretends to make plans to hang out to show they are the 'good one' when in actuality is a shady bitch
7. cannot control their emotions

person 1: Wow, that Frances girl is such a psycho!
person 2: Frances started sh*t with me, and I have never even met her! Who is she?
person 3: Frances is a girl? sounds like a guy's name, what a f*g

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Wed 30 Oct 2013, 12:32 pm

Friday I'm In Love by The Cure for me.  One of my favourite songs.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 30 Oct 2013, 12:57 pm

Your nomination is now up there, TopHat.

Thanks for amending it, Adam.
Thank-you, Adam.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 30 Oct 2013, 3:17 pm

I didn't realise I had to name an artist as well....

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 30 Oct 2013, 6:09 pm

I can happily justify r*** as an emotional response. Although, that is an argument for my lawyer and Cambridge's legal system.

Happy to lose to Hitchhikers in the last round, its a better book and one of my favourites, not sure how i didnt consider it.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 30 Oct 2013, 6:10 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I can happily justify r*** as an emotional response. Although, that is an argument for my lawyer and Cambridge's legal system.

Happy to lose to Hitchhikers in the last round, its a better book and one of my favourites, not sure how i didnt consider it.
im still dubious about whether the galaxy is a place?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 30 Oct 2013, 6:46 pm

Easy way to narrow down which is my pick, Jeff.  Wait a few hours and then take your pick from one of the choices which has only 1 vote.  

Still, I expect to score double points with Noel Edmonds in the next round.

Last edited by superflyweight on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm a spaz!)

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 30 Oct 2013, 7:12 pm

superflyweight wrote:Easy way to narrow down which is my pick, Jeff.  Wait a few hours and then take your pick from one of the choices which has only 1 vote.  

Still, I expect to score double points with Noel Edmonds in the next round.
Good pick Super, could be a straight shoot out between Edmonds and my personal choice of Clarkson.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 30 Oct 2013, 7:26 pm

Patricia or Jeremy?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 30 Oct 2013, 7:36 pm

Jeremy of course. I am his number one fan

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 30 Oct 2013, 9:13 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I can happily justify r*** as an emotional response. Although, that is an argument for my lawyer and Cambridge's legal system.

im still dubious about whether the galaxy is a place?
well given i've been screwed this round i'll be keeping my votes from last however spurious galaxy may be as a place........ raspberry

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 30 Oct 2013, 10:55 pm

where did cash's hurt jump up from? didnt realise it had any votes now its joint top

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Thu 31 Oct 2013, 9:34 am

Well this round doesn't look like I'll be picking much points up.

Should have gone with my original choice of Pudfle of Mudd- She hates me. If only I hadn't found out they don't say f***in in the title and ruined it for myself.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:17 am

whens the next round tino?

with the non finish of the prediction league, im keen to get at least one competition finished off which im in the running for

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:28 am

compelling and rich wrote:whens the next round tino?

with the non finish of the prediction league, im keen to get at least one competition finished off which im in the running for
Still waiting for a couple of stragglers, mate.

ChequeredJersey
Azzy
Adam (shame on you)
The Boss.

As soon as they are in I am ready to go with the last round.

Not sure about Azzy though as he seems to have disappeared. Has he been banned for something? For hating everything in the world apart from Game of Thrones perhaps?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:31 am

Azzy has quit the board so don't bother waiting for him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:35 am

think he asked for his account to be deleted? why you would i have no idea

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:36 am

Just sent mine in. Rough stag weekend has left me a broken man.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:42 am

compelling and rich wrote:think he asked for his account to be deleted? why you would i have no idea
Got fed up arguing, apparently.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:43 am

The Boss wrote:Just sent mine in. Rough stag weekend has left me a broken man.
whatever you do dont watch anything sad, when the bear fear sets in in anything can set you off. think one of my mates started crying at the snooker after one particularly hard stag do

i decided to watch a bit of newsroom after my last stag do, it was the africa episode Sad Sad 

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:46 am

Basically Azzy was told he reminded someone of Adrian Chiles who was referred to as a sc**my Baggie fan by someone a fortnight earlier and left the football game on here as a result, he then proceeded to continue to go onto the board the football game was based on to continue the argument with the person and after two weeks he then PM'd me to request action to be taken against the person or he wanted his account deleting. I said that it was simply two people that didn't get on and that the other person had already requested to block Azzy to avoid reading his posts but that wasn't good enough and he wanted to leave the site.
A shame as I enjoyed chatting with Azzy but a course of herbal teas may be best for him.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:46 am

I'm usually an emotional wreck. Remember the Titans has me in bits every time.

Made it into work yesterday with no sleep since Saturday and literally had my eyes close while speaking to clients.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 05 Nov 2013, 10:07 am

OK, I may choose something for him and see how many votes it gets.

Just ChequeredJersey and Adam left then.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 05 Nov 2013, 10:09 am

The Boss wrote:I'm usually an emotional wreck. Remember the Titans has me in bits every time.

One of my favourite films ever!! Amazing sound track and it cuts me up every time also....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Tue 05 Nov 2013, 10:11 am

Alice, are you blind? Can't you see he's my brother?

My favourite of all time. I'm gonna watch it now.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 05 Nov 2013, 10:47 am

compelling and rich wrote:
The Boss wrote:Just sent mine in. Rough stag weekend has left me a broken man.
whatever you do dont watch anything sad, when the bear fear sets in in anything can set you off. think one of my mates started crying at the snooker after one particularly hard stag do

i decided to watch a bit of newsroom after my last stag do, it was the africa episode Sad Sad 
Laugh

I get this every Sunday night. Sports Personality is the killer though

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:37 pm

Its in now (thats what she said) - sorry I'm late (thats what she said)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:53 pm

Well done Adam, not sure the next round would be the same without folk being able to vote for Keith Chegwin.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:54 pm

Close, he went for Noel Edmonds.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 05 Nov 2013, 3:19 pm

No Joy division?

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 05 Nov 2013, 3:20 pm

rick_dagless wrote:No Joy division?
It was banned, along with Don't Look Back in Anger.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 05 Nov 2013, 3:27 pm

Mind the windows Tino wrote:It was banned, along with Don't Look Back in Anger.
Ah fair enough Tino Smile thanks for clarifying

(must learn to read before commenting)

I shall proceed to cast the vote(s)

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 05 Nov 2013, 3:37 pm

rick_dagless wrote:
Ah fair enough Tino :)thanks for clarifying

You can be a guest nominator in the last round if you like? Azzy has left the building so you can have his slot.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 05 Nov 2013, 3:44 pm

rick_dagless wrote:
Ah fair enough Tino :)thanks for clarifying

You can be a guest nominator in the last round if you like?  Azzy has left the building so you can have his slot.
He can only do that if he is willing to slag everyone elses nominations off once they are posted.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 05 Nov 2013, 5:17 pm

think its pretty obvious what azzy would have nominated for next round, sean bean for his role as ned stark. if not lena headley for cersi, or sophie turner, kit harrington, alfie allen etc etc you get the point

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:29 pm

Mind the windows Tino wrote:You can be a guest nominator in the last round if you like? Azzy has left the building so you can have his slot.
Just got back on this, svinehunds at work making me actually work!!

is this still available? If so i will gladly step in, if not i blame the Workplace! Throw of the shackles of the man etc...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:33 pm

rick_dagless wrote:
Mind the windows Tino wrote:You can be a guest nominator in the last round if you like? Azzy has left the building so you can have his slot.
Just got back on this, svinehunds at work making me actually work!!

is this still available? If so i will gladly step in, if not i blame the Workplace! Throw of the shackles of the man etc...
You can still step in, pal. Just PM me your pick.

It is probably a good thing as Azzy pretty much hates the world and everything in it so even if you nominate Michael Barrymore it will be a step up from from whatever bile he would have spewed.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next