The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 10

+15
The Boss
superflyweight
Dolphin Ziggler
Trebs
MIG
compelling and rich
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Il Gialloblu
JuliusHMarx
TopHat24/7
The Womble
seanmichaels
Galted
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Best song with an emotion or emotional response in the title

The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap11%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap13%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 8 ]
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap16%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 10 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap14%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 9 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 63

The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Empty The Culture Cup round 10

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 30 Oct 2013, 8:48 am

First topic message reminder :

So here we are with the penultimate round of 2013’s Culture Cup.  There was going to be 12 rounds and a bonus round but I’ll be honest, my enthusiasm is almost at an end so you’ll have to make do with 10 rounds and a double pointer that will separate the men from the boys.  Round 10 brings us the poll for  ‘Best song with an emotion or emotional response in the title’.  With a couple of notable songs banned, it has thrown up some pretty good choices although we have one or two picks that may be considered controversial.  I deliberated long and hard over one of them in particular but have come down on the side of allowing it.  So, what happened in round 9  and  'Best piece of literature with a place or building in the title'….

It is getting a little tiresome typing it out every week, but Hero and compelling & rich both secured a bag full of points and remain locked at the top.  It will take the double point bonus round to separate our conjoined sisters.  Good job they are not minor celebrities or seanmichaels would surely have slept with them seeing as he is so close behind in third after picking up an impressive 9 points with the only book he has ever read.  Azzy got a strange pick and garnered  7 points for One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, proving that acting like a spoilt brat quite often gets you your own way.  TopHat was this rounds big winner with 12 points and he is breathing down the leaders necks.  Dolphin got his joint highest points haul with Animal Farm which should really have won in my opinion.  Rowley edges further away from superflyweight, reinforcing centuries of English rule over the Scots.  Superfly needs a big last couple of rounds to overtake his nemesis.  If only there was a round on deep fried food, superfly.  jbeadle has edged ahead of ChequeredJersey at the foot of the table but that could all change with anyone up to Jeff still in danger if they have a calamitous last two rounds.

Here is the updated table;

Hero (Charlie & the Chocolate Factory): (9) 81
compelling & rich (LA Confidential): (8) 78
seanmichaels (The Two Towers): (9) 74
Azzy (One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest): (7) 71
TopHat (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy): (12) 66
Adam (Alice in Wonderland): (6) 64
Galted (The Mill on the Floss): (4) 62
onlytreblewinners (The Canterbury Tales): (8) 59
Rowley (Brighton Rock): (5) 54
bhb (The Merchant of Venice): (6) 54
The Womble (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas): (7) 52
The Boss (Dubliners): (6) 51
Dolphin (Animal Farm): (10) 51
superflyweight (Slaughterhouse 5): (4) 48
Union (Where’s Your Caravan): (5) 44
Julius (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz): (5) 44
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Treasure Island): (8) 40
ChequeredJersey (The Hunchback of Notre Dame): (4) 39

The final bonus round is going to be worth double points and will determine the winners and the losers of this year’s Culture Cup.  The question for the bonus round is this:  Who do you think has made the biggest contribution to the history of British culture?  

I have deliberately left it as quite an open question as it should encourage a bit of thought and some interesting picks.  It can be a singer, a group, an artist, a sculptor, an author, a philosopher, a politician, a poet, a scientist, whatever you feel fits the bill.  So long as you can come on here and justify why they deserve your nomination, then it is fair game.  They don’t necessarily have to be British born, but so long as the contribution they have made is undeniably British then it will be allowed (so Jeff, you can nominate Craig Revel Horwood even though he is Australian born).  I will be the sole judge of what qualifies, but take your time and pick wisely as this round is worth double points.

Here is the poll for round 10.  YOU CAN ONLY VOTE FOR ONE SO TAKE YOUR TIME!  Vote cancelling is not allowed.

Remember, IT IS OPEN FOR THE WHOLE FORUM TO VOTE!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 10 - Page 3 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 10

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:34 pm

Smile

Cheers Tino I will get on it the noo

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm

all done

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:34 pm

Wagwan, Tino blud?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:36 pm

I have no idea what you are saying.

If you're asking about the next round, then I am working on it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:36 pm

Indeed, I'm jolly well fed up of waiting for Round 11, old chap. Tally-ho!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:43 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Indeed, I'm jolly well fed up of waiting for Round 11, old chap. Tally-ho!
I understand this post.

Round 11 is the final, double point bonanza. It will be worth the wait.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:51 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Indeed, I'm jolly well fed up of waiting for Round 11, old chap. Tally-ho!
I understand this post.

Round 11 is the final, double point bonanza.  It will be worth the wait.
Not if my pick is anything to go by.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:54 pm

True.

I'm not sure you've ever given this cup its full respect though, Julius.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:07 pm

I've lost a bit of faith after this round. Motorcycle Emptiness is either criminally underrated or there is some tactical voting going on.

Watched a doco on the disappearance of Richey Edwards from the Manics last night. I reckon he did a disappearing act rather than topped himself

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:11 pm

seanmichaels wrote:I've lost a bit of faith after this round. Motorcycle Emptiness is either criminally underrated or there is some tactical voting going on.

It got less marks than the Kaiser Chiefs. It is moments like this I lose faith in humanity and its chances of survival.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:16 pm

Voting is closed on this round, by the way.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:17 pm

Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:I've lost a bit of faith after this round. Motorcycle Emptiness is either criminally underrated or there is some tactical voting going on.

It got less marks than the Kaiser Chiefs. It is moments like this I lose faith in humanity and its chances of survival.
If Richey is alive he would probably end it after reading that.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:18 pm

Rowley wrote:

have to agree, very surprised at how many votes kaiser chiefs got. its not even there best song

manics was in my top three of the songs up there, think it may well have suffered from being highly rated but just missed out on votes

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:30 pm

I didn't vote this round as all the options are rubbish, even my own pick is dreadful as I went for a generic guitar based drivelly crap song to see if it got me more votes than choosing something I actually like.

It didn't.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:33 pm

Clearly the Nanci Griffith song is head & shoulders above the rest - hence I expected this forum to give it the 0 votes it received.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:43 pm

The one round I win, and people are slating it.

I feel like a fat kid who's been given a cup at the end of season awards, only to get home and realise it was a pity selection.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:46 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:The one round I win, and people are slating it.

I feel like a fat kid who's been given a cup at the end of season awards, only to get home and realise it was a pity selection.
Hurt?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:46 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
You could have broken that to me a bit more gently.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:52 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Hurt?
Damn right I was.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:05 pm

Should have gone for 'Is this Love' by Whitesnake. Would have at least got Tina's vote then.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:11 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Hurt?
Damn right I was.
drumroll 

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:23 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Should have gone for 'Is this Love' by Whitesnake. Would have at least got Tina's vote then.
It's WHITESNAKE, you goon.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:23 pm

Rowley wrote:

Yep. Hurt should have been banned along with - nay, before - Love Will Tear Us Apart and Don't Look Back In Anger too.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:26 pm

Look, JB is at the arse end of the league. Let the man enjoy his moment.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:30 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Yep. Hurt should have been banned along with - nay, before - Love Will Tear Us Apart and Don't Look Back In Anger too.
I considered picking Hurt, don't particularly love the song but pretty much knew it would win. Then I remembered there was a Roses song that met the requirements so I couldn't.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:32 pm

Why didn't anyone speak up at the time then? No good whinging about it now.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:35 pm

That Chris Isaak song with Kate Moss in the video would have been a good one.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:41 pm

so are we getting a round 11 or what??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:45 pm

I'm working on it. Give me a break.

I've been busy laughing at poor people for the last few hours.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:47 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I'm working on it.  Give me a break.

And so not working on it, in fact.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:56 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Look, JB is at the arse end of the league.  Let the man enjoy his moment.
You are a gent Tino.

Now hurry up with the next round.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:56 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I'm working on it.  Give me a break.

And so not working on it, in fact.
Unless he meant laughing at all your plebian nominations for Round 11?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 07 Nov 2013, 8:19 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Voting is closed on this round, by the way.

Whats going on! When you posted this my pick was joint 2nd now its fourth after voting has closed!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 08 Nov 2013, 9:07 am

compelling and rich wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Voting is closed on this round, by the way.

Whats going on! When you posted this my pick was joint 2nd now its fourth after voting has closed!
Don't fret old boy. I ignored any votes that came in after it closed.

Final round is up in Music. Adam or Hero, can you please move Global?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3