The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer losing to Monfils

+11
lydian
Haddie-nuff
CAS
TRuffin
barrystar
Jahu
laverfan
HM Murdock
lorus59
Johnyjeep
TopoftheChops
15 posters

Go down

Federer losing to Monfils Empty Federer losing to Monfils

Post by TopoftheChops Thu 10 Oct 2013, 1:07 pm

shows that Federer is past it.

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Federer losing to Monfils Empty Re: Federer losing to Monfils

Post by Johnyjeep Thu 10 Oct 2013, 1:09 pm

Cheers.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 3:46 pm

At times he really looked very frustrated at his inability to play the shots that he used to. How longer can he accept travelling to events to only play one or two matches?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 10 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm

A 32 year old v a 27 year old. If it weren't Federer, nobody would bat an eyelid.

The only surprise is that after such a gradual descent from brilliance, the decline has suddenly become quite sharp.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:29 pm

At 4-3 in the second set, facing imminent exit, he played two games, imperiously. Just slapping the ball around. He was furious with himself.

Seppi, yesterday, constantly attacked Federer's BH and was gifted with shanks and errors.

Monfils had more aces than Federer today.

For Federer, the love of the sport transcends the disappointment of each future loss, so he plays on. I admire the man's spirit.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 10 Oct 2013, 6:26 pm

laverfan wrote: I admire the man's spirit.
I admire his long term sponsorship contracts, well in this case Rolex made him play here.

There is no spirit left here or anything. Just money from contracts and WTF final, where hopefully he will announce he will quit the tour.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 10 Oct 2013, 6:30 pm

Jahu wrote:
I admire his long term sponsorship contracts, well in this case Rolex made him play here.

There is no spirit left here or anything. Just money from contracts and WTF final, where hopefully he will announce he will quit the tour.
Rolex can probably make him play a tournament so long as he remains a member of the tour, but nobody will be able to make him play if he wants to quit.

It's piffling by the standards he sets, and those are the right standards to think about, but you can also stand back and note that he's bound to finish the year in the top 10 having won at least one trophy - for more than 90% of every professional tennis player there's ever been that would be a stand out year, so it's not as if he's undergoing water torture.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 10 Oct 2013, 6:32 pm

Jahu wrote:

Why would any tennis fan be "hopeful" that Federer quit the sport? If you just hate him then I guess it's what you want, but Federer has earned the right to play as long as HE wants to with no shame in losing, his fans and most of the tennis fans in general want to see him play- there is nothing in him quitting the tour that should make anyone happy-- except blind haters...

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu 10 Oct 2013, 6:33 pm

This is getting a bit like watching Muhamamad Ali towards the end of his career, its quite painful as you watch him be beaten but guys he would beat in his sleep once upon a time, Monfils is actually a top player so this isn't the worst loss in the world but still a match he would have won.

Surely he should try and go Stockholm or something? His confidence must be all over the place!

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 10 Oct 2013, 6:38 pm

I watched the match and I feel frustrated for him... and bear in mind folks Im not a Fed fan.. He still has all the tools in the box but he has forgotten his WD40 they have all got a little rusty. But more to the point he seems to have forgotten where he has put them... sorry for the cliches but in truth I find that Fed seems to lose his way... he strings a few brilliant shots together and then he goes walk about. Its his concentration more than his ability that is failing him imho

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu 10 Oct 2013, 6:50 pm

its probably because for so much of his career he is able to play matches on auto-pilot and still win, yet he can't do that anymore

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:06 pm

TRuffin, I'm not fans in general and a hater. Im a Fed fan, been sice 2003.

He's the GOAT and I've spent more money going to see him play Live then HE's car is worth.

So chill and dont psychorape my post.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 10 Oct 2013, 8:23 pm

Jahu wrote:TRuffin, I'm not fans in general and a hater. Im a Fed fan, been sice 2003.

He's the GOAT and I've spent more money going to see him play Live then HE's car is worth.

So chill and dont psychorape my post.
fine... you have as much right to tell me to chill as I have to tell you to not make stupid posts.. about being hopeful a 32 year old player still in the top 10 should quit the sport he loves.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 10 Oct 2013, 9:21 pm

It's not looking good is it...I think his ability to focus is on the wane, and he actually needs it more than ever given the newer crop are no mugs at playing this game. I'm still confident he'll retire at Basel 2014.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 10 Oct 2013, 9:23 pm

lydian wrote:It's not looking good is it...I think his ability to focus is on the wane, and he actually needs it more than ever given the newer crop are no mugs at playing this game. I'm still confident he'll retire at Basel 2014.
you may be right.. I believe he will be more apt to retire on an upswing than a downswing though.. If he continues to struggle, but somehow pulls out a big win-- it may be his chance to go out like he wants...........or he may do what he says he's going to do-- not care about ranking and continue to play because he loves the game and the tour.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:15 pm

I loathe such a comparison, but Sampras was ranked #17, whereas Federer is at #7.

I cried for a week when Laver left the game, and was distraught when Pancho died. When Borg left, it was shock more than sadness.

Not sure when Fedal leave, what then? But the new Princes are worthy of being Kings in their own rights.

I would love to see a compilation of all matches in Fedal careers for posterity.

I still think he will play Rio 2016, only to be beaten by someone new.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Fri 11 Oct 2013, 12:05 am

I've always really enjoyed watching Federer play without being particularly emotionally invested in his results like a fan would be. But I have to say that recently it's not been a pleasure to watch him losing with such relatively poor performances. Of course he can continue as long as it suits him, and he has nothing to prove, but I guess many neutrals like myself might prefer not to watch if more and more matches this shadow of the former champ turns up to play.

I didn't see today's match, so this isn't a comment on the performance v Monfils. Just a general comment since the AO really. Whatever the reason for the performances, it's just a bit sad to see.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 11 Oct 2013, 7:21 am

I agree with that .. Not a Fed fan myself but have always admired his tennis but it saddens me to see the great man a mere shadow of himself. Of course as has been said he has every right to play for as long as he wishes but I hope he leaves us with memories of the Fed he was.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 11 Oct 2013, 9:06 am

He's in a crisis of confidence I would say...as you get older its not as easy to balance the nerves, etc. Plus when your standards were so high a loss of 1-2% in on court ability makes all the difference, brings you right back into the pack again and the younger players don't put him up on the pedestal they used to. His aura as well as mercurial ability has slipped too. 2014 will be his last lap of honour year, I'm even more certain of it now.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 11 Oct 2013, 6:12 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:A 32 year old v a 27 year old. If it weren't Federer, nobody would bat an eyelid.

The only surprise is that after such a gradual descent from brilliance, the decline has suddenly become quite sharp.
Yup Way to sharp, Monfils can play a shocker game to upset a great player in a 3 set match, so I am not worried about it, what worries me is the way he lost against all those no namers before USO, like Rafa Like Murray Fed needs to take a long break get back into practice mode and come back for the Wimbledon next year and surprise everybody , if he still unable to do any dent the call it off in 2014.thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 11 Oct 2013, 6:20 pm

TRuffin wrote:
Jahu wrote:

Why would any tennis fan be "hopeful" that Federer quit the sport?   If you just hate him then I guess it's what you want, but Federer has earned the right to play as long as HE wants to with no shame in losing, his fans and most of the tennis fans in general want to see him play-  there is nothing in him quitting the tour that should make anyone happy--  except blind haters...
Fed fans don't like to see the man lose specifically to Jack and Jill players, most of his fans wants to see him bide in legendary way, more or less I have the same sentiments as well, I wanted him to play as long as he wants but I too can't take this and I am not a Fed hata or a die hard fan picard 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 11 Oct 2013, 6:32 pm

lydian wrote:He's in a crisis of confidence I would say...as you get older its not as easy to balance the nerves, etc. Plus when your standards were so high a loss of 1-2% in on court ability makes all the difference, brings you right back into the pack again and the younger players don't put him up on the pedestal they used to. His aura as well as mercurial ability has slipped too. 2014 will be his last lap of honour year, I'm even more certain of it now.
Agree! I didn't see Fed play this week (I expected him to be around a bit longer). But in a few of his matches he's been setting points up beautifully only to fluff the easy put away. That just looks like nerves. He was playing so well against Nadal in Cincinnati so it's not like he's lost his game completely. Hopefully he will find it again soon...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 11 Oct 2013, 6:34 pm

I would suggest he feels a whole lot better today having seen Novak hanging in by his fingernails.. Montfils could well have won that match and certainly gave Novak a scare... so in retrospect yesterday doesn´t look quite so bad for Roger as it did.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 11 Oct 2013, 7:15 pm

Fair point Haddie...Monfils is in great form.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Fri 11 Oct 2013, 10:20 pm

After seeing this result (Monfils), I went back and watched that match.

Then I went back and watched the Robredo loss at US Open.

I agree with previous comment that on a fast indoor court, Monfils beating Federer isn't necessarily a dire situation.

What is dire, is watching how Federer seems unable to bring consistency to his game at the moment/for the past several months. Against Robredo, he knew exactly what was going to come his way; that Robredo would be behind the baseline, hitting big loopy ground strokes - regardless of a loss of confidence, that should not have been an obstacle where he stumbled.

Similarly v Monfils, there was way too much inconsistency, and that is the alarming thing.

I still find it hard to believe that Federer is unable to find that consistency over consecutive matches, losing to, not "has beens," but "never weres." I still believe he has the ability to win another Major singles title, but of course, it's a case of diminishing returns. So am hoping that he is able to find that consistency and show it, in the next few weeks. Thinking about the WTFs without RF, just doesn't seem possible - it would really be a demarcation of sorts, were that to happen. But I hope not in 2013. Come on Rog!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down