The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The day Roddick wanted to stick one on Djokovic ........

+5
JuliusHMarx
laverfan
banbrotam
Born Slippy
lags72
9 posters

Go down

The day Roddick wanted to stick one on Djokovic ........ Empty The day Roddick wanted to stick one on Djokovic ........

Post by lags72 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:55 am

Not on the forum as often as I once was, so apols in advance if this has been covered and I missed it.

Interesting revelations from Roddick re a bit of an altercation with Djoko.

Nothing new of course in the fact that they weren't exactly bosom buddies. But would have been interesting to see just what might have transpired had A-Rod not "checked himself" just before before it got really nasty Wink 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10355165/Andy-Roddick-reveals-he-came-close-to-fighting-Novak-Djokovic-after-US-Open-defeat.html

Am not aware if Novak has ever made any comment on this episode himself.

lags72

Back to top Go down

The day Roddick wanted to stick one on Djokovic ........ Empty Re: The day Roddick wanted to stick one on Djokovic ........

Post by Born Slippy Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:53 am

I was surprised Roddick decided to mention this. It makes him sound like an odious fratboy and a bully - particularly as the only reason he didn't take it further was because Novak has an imposing coach. Its particularly uninspiring when you consider that all Novak seems to have done is say it was unfair for Roddick to say he faked injury. Roddick wasn't above intimidating younger players to gain an advantage and this just seems like another example.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

The day Roddick wanted to stick one on Djokovic ........ Empty Re: The day Roddick wanted to stick one on Djokovic ........

Post by banbrotam Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:16 pm

Roddick's 'second coming' (i.e. 08/09 when he played his best stuff for years) seemed to coincide with a far more confrontational style, particularly with the youngsters

There was that notorious bad tempered performance at RG09', when, admittedly helped by a particularly boorish French crowd (even worse than normal), he sulked his way to a Monfils defeat

His comments are mentioned, simply because it continues to supply fuel to the nonsense about Novak's lack of class

Novak, like Andy - don't suffer fools gladly. Which is why they won't be 'terrifically sporting' to winners of slams in weak era's Wink - unfortunately some don't like this

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:13 pm

I recall a certain player smashing trophies when his rivals had beaten him at Tennis. Just shows the human frailties of these elite players.

I also recall you f***ing stopped. Laugh

Federer himself did it more diplomatically at AO with if you are not fit, stay at home type stuff.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:18 pm

My favourite is still going back to your hotel room and clinically cutting up your rackets with a hacksaw - takes the 'heat of the moment' factor out of it.
Presumably he had to nip down to Homebase to get the hacksaw - or order it from the concierge Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:21 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Presumably he had to nip down to Homebase to get the hacksaw - or order it from the concierge Smile
He started carrying hacksaws for protection after the Roddick incident, in case his trainer was out of sight. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:51 pm

Unfortunately Djokovic later said the hacksaw story wasn't true.

His denial did include a line that amused me though. He was making the point that he has a team who support him and they "share my love for the sport and towards the racket as well".

As for Roddick, the story makes him look a bit an idiot, like he can dish it out but not take it.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:14 pm

Not sure Roddick even had a second coming in 08/09, apart from his Wimbledon semi and final performance which did stand out.

His year end ranking from 2006 to 2010 inclusive was between 6 and 8 every year, so it wasn't changing. He didn't win any tournaments at 1000 level or above in 8/9.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:31 pm

Wanting to beat Nole up makes him look like he was angry - Not doing it bcecause there was somebody bigger in the room makes him look like a bully.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 10 Oct 2013, 2:42 am

Ah that would have been ugly had Roddick did something stupid that day, good or bad the issue didn't go beyond that mark and both players have moved on.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down