The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The enigma that is Arnold Schwarzenegger !!

+16
Hulking_up
Shot 21 LCFC
hornbloweroafc
Ent
The Best in the World
JuliusHMarx
MIG
XR
The Womble
liverbnz
rodders
Adam D
ONETWOFOREVER
jimmyinthewell68
Stella
TRUSSMAN66
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The enigma that is Arnold Schwarzenegger !! - Page 2 Empty The enigma that is Arnold Schwarzenegger !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 01 Oct 2013, 9:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Can't act........Can't pronounce words properly..........and yet...

Total recall, Predator 2, Terminator Salvation all suck without him..............Schwarzenegger is such a charismatic, larger than life figure that all sequels and remakes without him are pointless.......Farrell and Bale are quite charismatic and Glover is a superb actor but it's a redundant exercise...

I mean I can buy Schwarzenegger taking on a superior Alien from another planet and winning because it's Arnie..........

He's the only Republican I've ever liked.......

What an enigma..Arnie is....He does everything wrong..right !!!!!..........and If there was ever an illustration charisma trumps ability in the movie business Arnie is it.............

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 01 Oct 2013, 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

The enigma that is Arnold Schwarzenegger !! - Page 2 Empty Re: The enigma that is Arnold Schwarzenegger !!

Post by Adam D Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:04 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Shot 21 LCFC wrote:I will NEVER watch The Mask 2.
Nothing can be as bad as Hudson Hawk.
HH is a great film!

I am serious - its unfairly criticised for no other reason than people wanted to bring Bruce down to size.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The enigma that is Arnold Schwarzenegger !! - Page 2 Empty Re: The enigma that is Arnold Schwarzenegger !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:06 pm

A bit like what stallone is doing now perhaps.........after The expendables 3 fallout..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:23 pm

Adam D wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
HH is a great film!

I am serious - its unfairly criticised for no other reason than people wanted to bring Bruce down to size.
Adam

seek theropy mate.

seriously

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I still have predator on VHS

that proves I am the biggest fan of Predator......surely.
I have it on VHS too. Arnies pecks are showing in all their gloriousness.

Predator 2 sucked big balls. The only good bit was the Alien skull in the trophy cabinet.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:39 pm

I never noticed that before. By alien skull, do you mean THE alien skull? That helps bring legitimacy to AVP if so...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:52 pm

To find out for sure I'd have to watch Predator 2 again. Not sure I have the strength!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:57 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Adam D wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
HH is a great film!

Adam

seek theropy mate.

seriously
Adam needs help. Hudson Hawk was truly awful. I really tried to like it but it was just plain bad.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 11:30 pm

Stella wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Adam D wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
HH is a great film!

Adam

seek theropy mate.

seriously
Adam needs help. Hudson Hawk was truly awful. I really tried to like it but it was just plain bad.
singing , if you want to swing on a star , carrying moon beams in a jar , while committing burglary . i actually read the book too

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Fri 04 Oct 2013, 7:44 am

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:I never noticed that before. By alien skull, do you mean THE alien skull? That helps bring legitimacy to AVP if so...
Yes, it's THE Alien skull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdmcbi6ONH4

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:01 am

So they must have been planning to mix the 2 films and do a crossover for quite a while then. That makes me have a bit more respect for the AVP films, rather than just "hey lets put Alien and Predator in the same film to make some money!!"

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

Makes me convinced that the Predator is a far superior being as well. Although the way they grouped up at the end of Pred 2 makes me think they all like a game of bridge and a cup of hot chocolate, rather than killing people.

Is there some Pred canon that establishes where the Preds are from, who created them etc? As was supposedly established for the Aliens in Prometheus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

I'm sure the graphic novels will give a better insight into their origins but the Alien/Predator comics were pretty good. Sadly the film was balls and a great idea ruined. However, as seen with the Batman, Spiderman and Superman franchises there's nothing wrong with ignoring everything that's gone before and starting all over again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Sat 05 Oct 2013, 2:56 pm

I'm not an expert but i think there were plans for an Alien/Predator film before Predator was made.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 07 Oct 2013, 9:51 am

love abit of arnie, ive got the arnie box set at home:

Predator
Commando
the Terminator

awesome box set and some of favorite films growing up, although i do like terminator 2 better than the original.

predator 2 sucked!! i can buy arnie and a bunch of marines running round the jungle trying to take out a nasty ar$e alien but danny glover on his own!! give me a break! now if he had mel gibson with him i would have give him a chance

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 07 Oct 2013, 10:13 am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwarzenegger-Terminator-Commando-Predator-Barbarian/dp/B000R3434Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381137009&sr=8-2&keywords=arnie+box+set

theres the bad boy, i also missed out on conan as well. 4 classics for 8 quid!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:33 pm

Predator 2 was a good film IMO. Not as good as number 1 but not as bad as some make out.

On a side note with regards to Predator, did you know Jean Claude Van Damme was originally cast as the Predator, and shot the first few scenes, before they decided he wasnt tall enough and replaced him with Kevin Peter Hall?

And on a side note with Arnold Schwarzenegger I read an interview with The Sun after The Last Stand came out which said he was about to start filming Terminator and Conan sequels. Exciting times indeed.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:26 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Predator 2 was a good film IMO. Not as good as number 1 but not as bad as some make out.

On a side note with regards to Predator, did you know Jean Claude Van Damme was originally cast as the Predator, and shot the first few scenes, before they decided he wasnt tall enough and replaced him with Kevin Peter Hall?

And on a side note with Arnold Schwarzenegger I read an interview with The Sun after The Last Stand came out which said he was about to start filming Terminator and Conan sequels. Exciting times indeed.
Heard he was a pain-in-the-butt on set as well........which was another reason he was asked to sling it.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:51 pm

Okay, I watched Conan with Jason Momoa. It's better than the Arnie one for me. Mainly because there is actual dialogue, and the true blood woman is f.i.t.

Not to mention young Conan, who I thought was brilliant.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 07 Oct 2013, 3:59 pm

Twins was another Arnie great imo.

DeVito was great in it aswell.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:22 pm

Arnie is getting too old to play the Terminator.......

These days If he bangs on a door and says "are you Sarah Connor" he gets........

"I am, so what about it!!"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Arnie is getting too old to play the Terminator.......

These days If he bangs on a door and says "are you Sarah Connor" he gets........

"I am,  so what about it!!"
"Sarah Connor?"
"Yes?"
"Oh good, the postman dropped this parcel off at mine by mistake.....bye!"

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:04 pm

the new arnie film with sly looks awful

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:26 pm

But we will still all watch it. Any film with those 2 in together is a must watch.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:15 am

if they done a rambo and commando movie mix  at their peak , now that would have been a great film

Last edited by jimmyinthewell68 on Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:06 am

Or get this for a different take on Predator 2: a band of younger stronger Predators return to the jungle to wreak havoc. Arnie returns to take them out again but he is overwhelmed, so he calls in... Rambo. F*ck yeah that would be awesome. 100 Predators couldnt take Rambo out...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:28 am

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Or get this for a different take on Predator 2: a band of younger stronger Predators return to the jungle to wreak havoc. Arnie returns to take them out again but he is overwhelmed, so he calls in... Rambo. F*ck yeah that would be awesome. 100 Predators couldnt take Rambo out...
Yahoo  john rambo and john matrix vs predators . i would have been there front of the Que .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:49 pm

John Matrix already fought the predator..........Arnie was Arnie in every film........

Still been interesting If Rambo was in it........"All I wanted was a meal and that Predator wouldn't let me eat"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Oct 2013, 9:40 pm

Looks old in his latest movie with Sly !!.........Hope he jacks it soon........(his career)

You don't want your heroes to be sullied with age.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:55 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:if they done a rambo and commando movie mix  at their peak , now that would have  been a great film
That would have been one long machine gun rally...25,000 kills later, the credits roll, and we have no idea why everyone in North Korea died Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:10 pm

It's no surprise that Arnie's best bits are when he's a stiff necked, cold eyed Terminator.  No acting required - computer-speak lines delivered clinically.

Perfection.

The rest?  Well, I'm kinda joking because he's not really as bad an actor as his fans would have you believe.  He has some quite touching little scenes with the kids in Kindergarten Cop especially.  Not Shakespeare but then neither is Tom Cruise in Born on the Fourth of July!

But honestly, for me he's just the perfect lifeless Terminator and I leave him and his fans alone after that as nothing much else from his archive interests me.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:12 pm

I hear you've got a farm....well here's two acres! (smacks guy in balls) CLASSIC ARNIE.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 28 Oct 2013, 9:43 pm

I disagree. Terminator Salvation was awesome!(I've never seen the others just bare that in mind)

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 28 Oct 2013, 10:40 pm

Bull wrote:I disagree. Terminator Salvation was awesome!(I've never seen the others just bare that in mind)
Shocked Shocked Shocked well its one of the worse ones, toss up between that and 3. 1 and 2 walk all over the others so get watching them!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 28 Oct 2013, 11:50 pm

Really I thought Salvation was awesome. It almost made me cry.(Yes I'm an emotional person)
It also opened my eyes to how well Bale would play Solid Snake!

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 28 Oct 2013, 11:59 pm

I didn't mind salvation, just really didnt get the main character (half man half robot guy not john connor) role in it all. If sky net were already capable of such advanced robots why the hell they messing around with all the other crap. Didnt like that character, would have been better without for me and just a struggle between man and robots

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:10 am

Oh you mean Sam Worthington? Oh yeah he was pretty wooden in Salvation. I just watched it for Bale. Laugh 

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:19 am

Terminator.  What's the ingredients that make it really work?

The humour.  That subtle knowing joke in the cold eyes of Schwarzenegger as he looks at people he's about to undress.  The humour is a big part of what the Terminator was.

Terminator Salvation was a grim attempt at Mad Max for the CGI generation (another franchise that didn't actually take itself too seriously)  Salvation unfortunately takes itself far, far too seriously.  The 'this is a serious movie' constant anguished whispering most especially is becoming way way old fashioned. It's all right to have real fun in a kick ass movie... more recent directors should try some. You can do it without losing a dark theme. It can be done.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2