The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite National Anthems

+7
kingraf
Duty281
Galted
ONETWOFOREVER
RinoGattuso
Mind the windows Tino.
Stella
11 posters

Go down

Favourite National Anthems Empty Favourite National Anthems

Post by Stella Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:27 am

I for some reason was listening to Flower Of Scotland last night. not because I love Scotland, but becuase it's a magnificent emotonal anthem, although not their official one, I believe?

That got me onto Jerusalem, which is much more heart rendering than God save The Queen.

The French one 'La Marseillaise' is another I could listen to over and over, especially when sung by Mireille Mathieu.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Favourite National Anthems Empty Re: Favourite National Anthems

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:41 am

Being a big rugby fan, I love the Rugby Championship as you get to listen to the New Zealand and South African anthems which are both really good.

The way the Saffer one builds up to a crescendo and the players belt out the last line is inspiring stuff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:47 am

Russia

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:52 am

Stella wrote:
which is much more heart rendering than God save The Queen.
Not that I feel particularly patriotic at the best of times, but God Save the Queen is incredibly dull. Too slow and uninspiring.

Just a personal thing, but it is lucky I am never going to be an international sportsman. I don't believe in God and don't have much, if any, love for the Royal Family. I would just have to stand there like a mute.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:01 am

Like most of our Footballers Very Happy 

I'm no rugby fan but do like the passion they show when singing their respective anthems.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:07 am

Being part Canadian, I love O Canada.

Being part English, I love God Save The Queen (especially when my lad sings it with me)

I hate all the rest, except for when David Ginola sings the French one on Talksport.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:12 am

How canyou be part Canadian and part English????

My fav is Brazil

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:18 am

Flower of Scotland and Star-Spangled Banner.  Honourable mentions to Eng & SA.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:20 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:How can you be part Canadian and part English????
Parents from both countries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:24 am

The Welsh anthem is pretty good, especially when a packed Millennium Stadium is belting it out before a 6N match. I don't understand the language but it is stirring stuff nevertheless.

My old man is Scottish and has Flower of Scotland as his ringtone. He lives in England and when it rings he doesn't pick it up for ages so everyone can hear it and then when he does, he shouts in his Scottish accent just to prove his Jockness. He is a walking cliché.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:26 am

The Italian one is actually rather good, it just goes on for far too long. Michael Schumacher ruined the German one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:27 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:My old man is Scottish and has Flower of Scotland as his ringtone.  He lives in England and when it rings he doesn't pick it up for ages so everyone can hear it and then when he does, he shouts in his Scottish accent just to prove his Jockness.  He is a walking cliché.
Guess the walking cliche is very different to the normal cliche who's lying down on a park bench or a bus stop with a can of Tennants Super clutched so tight you'd need a chainsaw to remove it.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:31 am

Love Jerusalem.
Don't mind God Save the Queen.
Rather like Land of Hope and Glory.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:32 am

Galted wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:My old man is Scottish and has Flower of Scotland as his ringtone.  He lives in England and when it rings he doesn't pick it up for ages so everyone can hear it and then when he does, he shouts in his Scottish accent just to prove his Jockness.  He is a walking cliché.
Guess the walking cliche is very different to the normal cliche who's lying down on a park bench or a bus stop with a can of Tennants Super clutched so tight you'd need a chainsaw to remove it.
That's the one. With a deep-fried apple and some haggis stuck between his teeth.

You know my dad?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:47 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Galted wrote:
That's the one.  With a deep-fried apple and some haggis stuck between his teeth.

You know my dad?
Very Happy  Don't think so - stayed round Neasden/Cricklewood/Kilburn/Willesden for quite a few years (were mainly Irish though a fair amount of Scots as well).  Was like living amongst a seal colony with them lolling all over the place.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 30 Sep 2013, 11:32 am

I love the national anthem - its a skill on its own to get the pronounciation right for all four parts, but its such a beauty... Theres a very real chance Saffers would have rioted when FIFA tried to cut it in half to save time during the world cup.

I like Irelands Call, and The instrumentals for the Italian anthem,
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Mon 30 Sep 2013, 2:49 pm

Russian, French, Welsh

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 30 Sep 2013, 2:53 pm

The Italian anthem is my favorite by a fair distance.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:15 am

I like the Star Spangled Banner, especially when its sung at a major sporting event like the Super Bowl.

I always thought that Land Of Hope & Glory should be our national anthem, it's so much more powerful than GSTQ.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:20 am

Go to an NHL game and hear the Star Spangled Banner followed by O Canada. It will give you shivers.

I hate LOH+G, it's a song for OAPs. GSTQ/K can be rousing, if Wembley isn't filled with 5 year old kids on a £1 ticket.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:26 am

We should sing to Jerusalem at all sporting events. It gets the hairs tingling at the Cricket.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:30 am

I went to a wedding recently where they had 3 hymns/songs. They were Jerusalem, Bread Of Heaven and finally You'll Never Walk Alone. It was like being at a rugby match, a football match and a wedding all rolled into 1. I'm surprised no one got any lighters out.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:42 am

Being an Albion fan, we had The Lord's My Shepherd at ours. All I could hear was my brother singing it like he does down the Hawthorns Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 03 Oct 2013, 5:22 am

My favourite national anthems are the Marseillaise and the Italian anthem. I'd never given Hen Wlad fy Nhadau much thought, but I took my dad to watch Wales v Scotland in the Six Nations a couple of seasons ago and when it got to the line, 'dros rhyddid collasant eu gwaed' (for freedom they spilt their blood) I welled up and could barely sing the rest. Turns out it is a stirring anthem!

Another song I love hearing crowds sing is 'Abide With Me.' That makes we well up, but only at the Challenge Cup because they sing it properly. They don't really bother at the FA Cup final and what's worse, they usually hire some godawful 'artist' (or 'artists') to ruin it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down