The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"You have to go see this film"

+7
kingraf
jimmyinthewell68
Galted
STC
Stella
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
11 posters

Go down

"You have to go see this film" Empty "You have to go see this film"

Post by Guest Thu 19 Sep 2013, 5:18 pm

Got a mate who seems to think the cinema is the be all and end all of moviegoing. He insists that A/the final Indiana Jones film is brilliant and that B/ your enjoyment of the film will be greatly enhanced by watching it at the cinema rather than at home.
Now, he's recently been diagnosed as a bi-polar manic depressive so I can now happily discount eveything he's ever said on medical grounds as opposed to just thnnking he's a bit of a twonk however...

Is there any validity to his claim that going to the cinema is the best way to watch movies? Personally I can't abide the experience, first of all it's far too expensive and it's generally full of bell ends talking/texting on their phones, chatting to their mates about TV programmes or asking dumb-ass questions about the film. I much prefer staying at home, doesn't cost as much, don't have some git kicking the back of my chair and, if I want to go to the loo I don't have to run back to my seat like Usain Bolt in case I've missed anything.

Never watched a 3D film at the cinema, I have a 3D tv at home and whilst it's ok I can't imagine Wreck It Ralph is improved five fold by paying through the nose for the experience.

What are your thoughts on cinema vs staying at home?

Back to top Go down

"You have to go see this film" Empty Re: "You have to go see this film"

Post by Rowley Thu 19 Sep 2013, 5:42 pm

I do enjoy going the cinema but it is by no means the bee all and end all it used to be, particularly now surround sound and high definition are achievable at home for a reasonably sensible price. Think a lot depends on the film, for the big special effects affairs I can still see the appeal of going to the cinema, but my inherent grouchiness means I am easily irritated and as such there does send to be at least someone in the cinema who will manage to irritate me enormously.

Also as I hurtle into old age I find myself increasingly weak of bladder and tend to find my enjoyment of the cinema is greatly reduced by focusing on not peeing myself rather than watching the film.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Sep 2013, 6:05 pm

Sounds like the cinema is a young man's game. Good luck to 'em I say.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 6:05 pm

My Wife likes to go and watch plays by the local drama company........which means I get dragged to see classics like the Pyjama game.........and I can sympathise with rowley....

Once I needed a pee as it started (stupidly didn't go before ) and to go to the can you had to walk basically by the front of the stage and out of the exit........After sweating for half an hour I told the red menace who informed me If I made a move she'd kill me !!

I've never felt relief like it when the intermission came.......

it's kind of put me of the cinema since..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 19 Sep 2013, 8:24 pm

I would say all films are better at the cinema, but not a must. It's also a good excuse for a large salted popcorn.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 20 Sep 2013, 9:39 am

When The Lord of the Rings came out I went to see it at the cinema and thought it was amazing. So good, in fact, that I went to see it again. A film like that loses some of it's epicness(?) on a smaller screen. Although I suppose today people have these massive 98" tvs it's not so much of an issue.

But I like going to the cinema to chill out. My daughter is five now so she loves the cinema. There's an special offer on a Saturday and Sunday morning at our local cinema, they show a kids film at reduced prices. It's usually fairly quiet so we sit where we like, my daughter gets to sit still and quiet for a couple of hours and I have a little sleep. Everyone's a winner.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 20 Sep 2013, 10:19 am

STC wrote:When The Lord of the Rings came out I went to see it at the cinema and thought it was amazing. So good, in fact, that I went to see it again. A film like that loses some of it's epicness(?) on a smaller screen. Although I suppose today people have these massive 98" tvs it's not so much of an issue.

But I like going to the cinema to chill out. My daughter is five now so she loves the cinema. There's an special offer on a Saturday and Sunday morning at our local cinema, they show a kids film at reduced prices. It's usually fairly quiet so we sit where we like, my daughter gets to sit still and quiet for a couple of hours and I have a little sleep. Everyone's a winner.
Lord of the Rings is the perfect example of why some films should be viewed in the cinema - saw each one twice and was blown away by the battle scenes and cinematography, when viewing it at home (42") they're still impressive but I seem to notice the stupid dialogue and bad acting more.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 20 Sep 2013, 10:57 am

Bad acting in an Orlando Bloom film?!?

Not sure where you would find that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Sep 2013, 11:01 am

Never seen the appeal of the guy..............Nine stone when wet......girly-boy face......and can't act !!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri 20 Sep 2013, 11:20 am

i really wish i went to see avatar in 3D in pictures . the first 3D New technology i seen was piranha . the 3D blew me away and i also enjoyed the film Rolling Eyes  . absolutely agree on LOTR films tons better in pictures

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 20 Sep 2013, 11:23 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Never seen the appeal of the guy..............Nine stone when wet......girly-boy face......and can't act !!!!!!
You obviously haven't seen The Calcium Kid.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Sep 2013, 12:10 pm

Fellowship of the Ring was our generation's Star Wars. We'd seen nothing like it, and I will never forget the feeling I got when the Fellowship entered the Mines of Moria. I think that's why the second and third films were rubbish for me, they lacked the magic factor.

Having seen Avatar now, that would have been another magic moment, I'm sure.

But for normal films, I'd rather stay at home and watch them. Cheaper, comfier, no noise, and it doesn't matter if you fall asleep, because you have the DVD!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 20 Sep 2013, 12:39 pm

My medical aid allows me to watch at one cinema company for free (also gives me free gym membership).... Im not even sure how much IMAX costs, as a result, I go to cinemas for just about any reason (its a five minute walk from my residence). There was actually an ad out a week ago, the ending of which only finishes at the cinema... I went to watch some chick flick with the lady just to see the ending.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 20 Sep 2013, 12:42 pm

Stella wrote:I would say all films are better at the cinema, but not a must. It's also a good excuse for a large salted popcorn.

Amen to that.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 20 Sep 2013, 12:53 pm

They sell Ben & Jerry's at my local cinema, which is a good reason in itself for going. That said, I have an Unlimited Card & because I've had it over a year, I was upgraded to Pemium which gets 25% off all food & drink as well as as many films as i care to watch.

So I go every Monday. I don't watch much TV, I don't do computer games. Film, watching some sports (not football!) and playing with my project car in the garage is what I do Smile 

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 20 Sep 2013, 12:59 pm

Gotta have pic 'n' mix as well, plus a coffee. Reckon going to the cinema is bad for my health.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Sep 2013, 1:48 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:They sell Ben & Jerry's at my local cinema, which is a good reason in itself for going. That said, I have an Unlimited Card & because I've had it over a year, I was upgraded to Pemium which gets 25% off all food & drink as well as as many films as i care to watch.

So I go every Monday. I don't watch much TV, I don't do computer games. Film, watching some sports (not football!) and playing with my project car in the garage is what I do Smile 
Get a job

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 20 Sep 2013, 2:02 pm

Both my wife and I get free entry to the cinema once a week with our mobile phone contract for the whole of 2013. At first we were going every week even if the films weren'tt always very good. I must admit lately we haven't been due to the inconveniences such as timing, drink costs etc. At home is just so much more comfortable.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 20 Sep 2013, 9:53 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Mr Bounce wrote:They sell Ben & Jerry's at my local cinema, which is a good reason in itself for going. That said, I have an Unlimited Card & because I've had it over a year, I was upgraded to Pemium which gets 25% off all food & drink as well as as many films as i care to watch.

So I go every Monday. I don't watch much TV, I don't do computer games. Film, watching some sports (not football!) and playing with my project car in the garage is what I do in my spare time when not doing my full-time job Smile 
Get a job
Fixed for you. Although I would prefer winning the lottery!! thumbsup 

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Fri 20 Sep 2013, 10:13 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

Get a job
Learn to not be an ass.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down