The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Matthysse deserve a rematch?

+20
88Chris05
tunes666
Lance
YDKSAB
eddyfightfan
hogey
seanmichaels
BoxingFan88
Herman Jaeger
School Project
KingMonkey
sittingringside
The Terror of Tylorstown
mobilemaster8
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
milkyboy
TopHat24/7
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
BallchinianMuffwig
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Does Matthysse deserve a rematch? - Page 2 Empty Does Matthysse deserve a rematch?

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Mon 16 Sep - 9:54

First topic message reminder :

Okay fair due's to Garcia for showing a good chin and skills, but to be honest, the fight I saw was nip/tuck with Matthysse looking the more comfortable before the eye swelling incident which basically half blinded him. And people seem to forget Garcia hit him low at least 3 times, and they never looked typically accidental. And that was NOT a knockdown in round 11.

Does anyone think Matthysse should try and get a rematch?

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Does Matthysse deserve a rematch? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does Matthysse deserve a rematch?

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 16 Sep - 15:47

I had that 'knockdown' as the only thing splitting them tbh.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Does Matthysse deserve a rematch? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does Matthysse deserve a rematch?

Post by sittingringside Mon 16 Sep - 15:55

Did you have it as a draw then, assuming you discount knockdown? It was very competitive, but giving Matthysse a share of the fight would have felt wrong to me. He was fiercely competitive and in no way embarrassed, but he was a close but clear second in my view

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 16 Sep - 16:02

Scording the kd as a 10-8 to Garcia, and the final round 9-9 due to the point deduction, got me to 114-112 Garcia. From memory. Therefore if the kd hadn't been called LM would've snuck it, assuming Garcia gets the final round (less the point).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 16 Sep - 16:17

I thought it was a genuine knock down myself, and thought Garcia was a clear and well deserved winner. Was competitive enough for a rematch to be marketable and certainly watchable. Matthysse looked lost at times, but he still came pretty close to putting Garcia in serious trouble. Garcia would need to box well for 12 rounds again in a rematch, but hes the winner so he gets to chose where he goes next.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 16 Sep - 16:23

Lance he was probably lost because he had turned into Cyclops after the 7th round. He started taking over the fight.

The knockdown was a hit on the back of the head ie. An illegal punch..
..something Garcia threw all night.

He lost his senses and got tangled in the ropes then hit him again!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 16 Sep - 16:34

I said before the fight that Matthysse was a little overrated. Only a little mind. He is one dimensional and to make things worse Garcia seemed to handle his power pretty well. But you are right he was having his best spell before he hurt his eye and personally I would like too see a rematch. But I don't want to discredit Garcias win, he fought excellently and was clearly the better man on the night.

I know it was a punch that dazed him and made him stick his head behind the ropes, that's why it was knock down as far as im concerned. I never noticed it was a rabbit punch though...maybe I will rewatch it at some time

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Mon 16 Sep - 17:31

mobilemaster8 wrote:Lance he was probably lost because he had turned into Cyclops after the 7th round. He started taking over the fight.

Looked like the side of the head to me mate, there's a GIF of it on here http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/15/4731888/garcia-vs-matthysse-highlights-results-gifs-danny-garcia-knockdown-lucas-matthysse

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 16 Sep - 17:52

sittingringside wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:Lance he was probably lost because he had turned into Cyclops after the 7th round. He started taking over the fight.

Looked like the side of the head to me mate, there's a GIF of it on here http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/15/4731888/garcia-vs-matthysse-highlights-results-gifs-danny-garcia-knockdown-lucas-matthysse
What sends him to the ropes is a huge forearm to the back of the head, he's basically already down at the point, just supported by the ropes, then gets clipped again when unable to defend himself properly.

Like all those other gifs showing all those low blows, Danny really was lucky to only have 1 point deducted. Especially when you chuck in all the holding and turning his back.

Floyd being talked about as the perfect/complete fighter, well Garcia is made of: 1 punch (the left hook), low blows and a great chin.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Mon 16 Sep - 18:08

TopHat24/7 wrote:
sittingringside wrote:

What sends him to the ropes is a huge forearm to the back of the head, he's basically already down at the point, just supported by the ropes, then gets clipped again when unable to defend himself properly.  

Like all those other gifs showing all those low blows, Danny really was lucky to only have 1 point deducted.  Especially when you chuck in all the holding and turning his back.

Floyd being talked about as the perfect/complete fighter, well Garcia is made of: 1 punch (the left hook), low blows and a great chin.
I'm sorry, but I just can't see a point deduction from that passage of action, if that's what you're suggesting then we'll just have to agree to disagree. You could certainly argue for another point off for the low blows however, which were all terrible.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 16 Sep - 18:37

Matthysse has never been about out boxing people as such anyway, his strength is durability and power and strength.. He was never going to get in the ring and outbox Garcia for 12 rounds..

It was always going to be about Garcia trying to outbox him and keep away from his bombs, and he done a very good job of that..

But Metthysse was starting to turn the screw and you saw Garcia looking hurt and not very happy, But as soon as Metthysse lost vision in his eye he started to take some big shots and and was coming forward slower, until later in the fight when Garica also slowed down a little and both were losing their power..

So you cant really forget that the reason Metthysse's eye was how it was was because Garcia hit him there! and credit where credit is due... But at the same time I do think if his eye was not blocking his vision he would have continued to pressure Garcia more effectively and there was an element of luck there for Garica. Garcia will no way want a rematch so it wont happen... But I do think it could be a different fight if they did. Garcia did show he has more in his locker and still being young he could keep getting better.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 16 Sep - 18:48

The winner of this fight was always going to be in a deserved position of either a) trying to get that super payday against Floyd, or b) being able to name their price and terms against any other fighter at 140. As that man's Garcia, he certainly shouldn't be under any pressure to give Matthysse a rematch right now.

But further down the line, I see no reason why it shouldn't happen again. I don't, as some do, think that the fight was by any means a one-sided outclassing by Garcia. He won a competitive, hard-fought fight, but won it well. Nothing to me at least which suggests that he's in a completely different league to Matthysse right now, and if Lucas can win a couple of fights in the meantime (I'm thinking something like a Judah rematch, another win against a top ten ranked fighter etc) then I think a rematch would be good business, providing Danny is still at 140. I say this because Angel has talked about making him a full-time Welter eventually, and I think he has the frame for it.

I'd certainly watch it again, but it's one for further down the line. Right now Garcia has every right to be chasing bigger and better things, as he might never be in such a strong position again in his career, and Matthysse needs to earn a shot at the division's top man. He's done it before, he can do it again.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 16 Sep - 20:33

https://twitter.com/LucasMatthysse/status/379126342656065536

Does Matthysse deserve a rematch? - Page 2 8_medium

Cool

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 16 Sep - 20:36

Only thing I actually have to add that hasn't already been said is credit to Garcia's canniness while hurt. Because he was hurt here and there but he did the right thing and spoiled when he was rocked. Personally I think spoiling should be cracked down on but seen as it isn't, fair play to him. He held when he needed to. Amir Khan, take note.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 16 Sep - 23:49

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Only thing I actually have to add that hasn't already been said is credit to Garcia's canniness while hurt. Because he was hurt here and there but he did the right thing and spoiled when he was rocked. Personally I think spoiling should be cracked down on but seen as it isn't, fair play to him. He held when he needed to. Amir Khan, take note.
Khan held Maidana like he wanted to shag him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 17 Sep - 8:27

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Only thing I actually have to add that hasn't already been said is credit to Garcia's canniness while hurt. Because he was hurt here and there but he did the right thing and spoiled when he was rocked. Personally I think spoiling should be cracked down on but seen as it isn't, fair play to him. He held when he needed to. Amir Khan, take note.
It hurts that you never read my posts jbw, but I take solace in great minds thinking alike. And ours too on this occasion.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 17 Sep - 9:19

sittingringside wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
sittingringside wrote:

Like all those other gifs showing all those low blows, Danny really was lucky to only have 1 point deducted.  Especially when you chuck in all the holding and turning his back.

I'm sorry, but I just can't see a point deduction from that passage of action, if that's what you're suggesting then we'll just have to agree to disagree. You could certainly argue for another point off for the low blows however, which were all terrible.
Yeh, I didn't mean that actual passage, was a general comment regarding the totality of the fight.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 17 Sep - 10:21

azania wrote:
Ineffectively in comparison. He also traded a few times when it was the wrong thing to do.

What did milky say? I never read his posts.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Tue 17 Sep - 11:11

TopHat24/7 wrote:
sittingringside wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
sittingringside wrote:

Yeh, I didn't mean that actual passage, was a general comment regarding the totality of the fight.
Well that's fair, we've definitely seen points deducted for less.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 17 Sep - 11:26

If Khan can get 2 for a little pushing, Danny was definitely lucky to get only 1.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 17 Sep - 11:30

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
azania wrote:
Ineffectively in comparison. He also traded  a few times when it was the wrong thing to do.

What did milky say? I never read his posts.
Wrote plenty, said little. True to form. Wallows in self pity.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 17 Sep - 12:09

I don't think Matthysse "deserves" a rematch, he lost and over the course of the fight you'd say fairly as garcia did dominate most of the rounds

Tha being said I wouldn't mind seeing it again

Firstly it was a good fight. Not a FOTY fight as Garcia boxed a lot more but there were lots of exchanges and lots of action

Secondly it's still an easy sell, and one that doesn't have a foregone winner. Yes Garcia boxed brilliantly, but that doesn't mean he will a second time. I had it 114-112 i think, with a 10-8 round to Danny that I thought Lucas was handily winning to that point. Whether you do or don't think it was a knockdown, it wasn't clear and wasn't clean, so a 10-9 in Lucas' favour swings it 114-113 to LM on my card. Then the eye, almost everyone on the thread had it even through 6 (or 4-2 for one of them) and Lucas seemed to be on the ascendancy, then the eye closed and everyone gave rounds 7-9 (10?) to Danny as Lucas didn't let the right hand go. Then you have the low blows, whether one point was enough for you there were a lot of them and Danny was a tad lucky not to get 2, and he wouldn't have done that one in the 12th to stop lucas from coming forward if he already had a point taken in the earlier rounds

Deserve is the wrong word, but Lucas has the right to feel a little disheartened at the result and can feel it went against him

I can't see it, why would anyone turn down big $$$ to fight floyd than fighta KO artist like Matthysse AGAIN. I know I wouldn't take it. Matthysse lost but was never really shaken badly, but Garcia was several times so while his chin is very good I don't think he'd like to do it again as his chin might not hold out

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 17 Sep - 12:16

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:I don't think Matthysse "deserves" a rematch, he lost and over the course of the fight you'd say fairly as garcia did dominate most of the rounds

Firstly it was a good fight. Not a FOTY fight as Garcia boxed a lot more but there were lots of exchanges and lots of action

Secondly it's still an easy sell, and one that doesn't have a foregone winner. Yes Garcia boxed brilliantly, but that doesn't mean he will a second time. I had it 114-112 i think, with a 10-8 round to Danny that I thought Lucas was handily winning to that point. Whether you do or don't think it was a knockdown, it wasn't clear and wasn't clean, so a 10-9 in Lucas' favour swings it 114-113 to LM on my card. Then the eye, almost everyone on the thread had it even through 6 (or 4-2 for one of them) and Lucas seemed to be on the ascendancy, then the eye closed and everyone gave rounds 7-9 (10?) to Danny as Lucas didn't let the right hand go. Then you have the low blows, whether one point was enough for you there were a lot of them and Danny was a tad lucky not to get 2, and he wouldn't have done that one in the 12th to stop lucas from coming forward if he already had a point taken in the earlier rounds

Deserve is the wrong word, but Lucas has the right to feel a little disheartened at the result and can feel it went against him

I can't see it, why would anyone turn down big $$$ to fight floyd than fighta KO artist like Matthysse AGAIN. I know I wouldn't take it. Matthysse lost but was never really shaken badly, but Garcia was several times so while his chin is very good I don't think he'd like to do it again as his chin might not hold out
This guy scores it 114-112........Matthyse is a top fighter and he doesn't deserve a rematch.......

114-112...........geez...What a shutout.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 17 Sep - 12:19

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:I don't think Matthysse "deserves" a rematch, he lost and over the course of the fight you'd say fairly as garcia did dominate most of the rounds

This guy scores it 114-112........Matthyse is a top fighter and he doesn't deserve a rematch.......

114-112...........geez...What a shutout.
He has been beat, he doesn't deserve a rematch, Garcia already took him on when everyone said he was ducking him and came out the winner

As i said he can feel disheartened and can ask for a rematch, a rematch I said I'd like to see, but that doesn't mean garcia has to acpet it, he has earnt that right

And i'm a matthysse fan so my score were probably a little biased

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 17 Sep - 12:22

Schmelling shouldn't have rematched Louis then or Turpin-Robbo..Both fights that were more convincing than this one.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Tue 17 Sep - 12:52

Why should Matthysse get a rematch Garcia beat him in his own kind of fight and showed he was a level above in the process. Garcia should be moving up to 147 and looking for Alexander or Broner and if he can beat either of them then he will get a shot at Maywaether and that is what everyone wants.

Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 17 Sep - 13:02

We won't have rematches then........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Tue 17 Sep - 13:04

If it was a great fight or a really close fight then fine but it wasn't, an immediate rematch is a backward step for Garcia.

Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 17 Sep - 13:17

Kev wrote:Why should Matthysse get a rematch Garcia beat him in his own kind of fight and showed he was a level above in the process. Garcia should be moving up to 147 and looking for Alexander or Broner and if he can beat either of them then he will get a shot at Maywaether and that is what everyone wants.
Eh?

How'd you come to that conclusion??

'his own kind of fight' would have been a chin v power slugfest, which it wasn't, Garcia boxed him (incl certain 'dark arts').

I had it as close as WHU, plenty of reason for a rematch. It only looked 'convicing' in the context of Garcia being an underdog, it actuality it was a close fight and Garcia had a lot of helping hands on the way to a fairly narrow points victory.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Tue 17 Sep - 13:45

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Kev wrote:Why should Matthysse get a rematch Garcia beat him in his own kind of fight and showed he was a level above in the process. Garcia should be moving up to 147 and looking for Alexander or Broner and if he can beat either of them then he will get a shot at Maywaether and that is what everyone wants.
Eh?

How'd you come to that conclusion??

'his own kind of fight' would have been a chin v power slugfest, which it wasn't, Garcia boxed him (incl certain 'dark arts').

I had it as close as WHU, plenty of reason for a rematch.  It only looked 'convicing' in the context of Garcia being an underdog, it actuality it was a close fight and Garcia had a lot of helping hands on the way to a fairly narrow points victory.
Garcia stood in front of Matthysse for long periods of the fight and took his best shots and probably done more damage with his. He boxed at times because he can unlike Matthysse who is seriously one dimensional.

I never thought it was that close I thought Garcia won by 4 or 5 rounds. I never understood why Garcia was the underdog Matthysse had a lot of trouble with boxers like Alexander and Judah and Garcia has showed he is a decent boxer in the past. I was surprised Garcias chin was that solid mind you because Matthysse is a proper puncher. I expected him to box and move a lot more than he did.

Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2