The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lucas Matthysse route to the top

+12
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Imperial Ghosty
Herman Jaeger
AlexHuckerby
eddyfightfan
UpandUnder
BoxingFan88
davidemore
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Valero's Conscience
Seanusarrilius
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lucas Matthysse route to the top Empty Lucas Matthysse route to the top

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:47 pm

I know he has just won a very impressive victory and there will be an element of hype in what I say to many of you, but believe me, I been a fan for a while.

So, with that said, what route to the top does he take?

Now he has Soto under his belt, he should be able to start getting fights against other top ten opposition in the weight class.

Options

Maidana: The two are friends, I believe, but this would be a great fight for HBO or Showtime to snag and showcase the excitement factor he can bring against another hard hitter. Mattysse by KO in that one for me.

Olugssen: Perhaps not that well known in US to draw a big crowd, but I hear he is exciting and brings it every time.

Winner of Khan/Garcia: Fully expect Khan to win and move up. Maybe Garcia will have no choice but to take Mattysse on, and if he does, the way he leaves himself open when he throws, I would have to favour Mattysse by KO.

Marquez: What a fight that would be. A pick em between a slick counter puncher and a come forward hitter - but don't see it happening.

Morales: Please god no

Now, my personal fav

Brandon Rios: Make no mistake, this would be spectacular and I would hope and pray that Mattysse would flatten Rios. But can't happen because of TR and Goldenboy being idiots and not working together.

Love to see him in wit Zab again, too.

How far can he go? How does he get there?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Lucas Matthysse route to the top Empty Re: Lucas Matthysse route to the top

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

I heard that Maidana vs Matthysse depends on the outcome of Khan/Garcia i.e. if Khan wins as expected, it is anticipated he'll vacate the belt and move up.

If the WBC belt becomes vacant Soto was originally in line to become the mandatory against some other guy I can't remember. As Matthysse beat Soto he should rank above and therefore if Khan vacates get a shot.

All a bit complicated!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:09 pm

I think Marquez would beat him.

JMM thrives on people coming forward and would counter him a new one.

Would be over the moon to see Rios take a pasting from him but sadly I think it would be pretty competitive and maybe a fresh Rios at a healthier weight.

Think a fight against Khan would be a 50/50 only for Khan's stupidness to get involved in brawls that he ain't cut out for. Sticking to a gameplan, Khan wins on points.

He is one tough fighter, I hope GBP make a success out of him and don't put him in a situation in which hes likely to get robbed again.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:12 pm

Without Khan and Bradley at the weight (or even with them at the weight) he can become the top guy in the division and I've though that for a while

The guy is an animal, has a granite chin, relentless stamina, underrated defence, good jab and has an abundance of power to rival other big hitters at the weight like Maidana and Rios

It looks like goldenboy are going to he thin a title and a big fight

http://www.boxingscene.com/matthysse-maidana-depend-on-khan-garcia-outcome--54335?

For those who cant access it, it basically states that olusegun fights the khan-Garcia winner but if khan wins and vacates then matthysse faces olusegun for the title

Maidana is being considered as a serious opponent for matthysse and I fully expect matthysse to win

4 exciting pressure fighters Rios, Matthysse, Maidana and Alvarado will provide a lot of excitement

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:19 pm

I would like this route

Maidana - Matthysse by KO. Younger, fresher & hits harder
Rios - Rios wont be as heavy handed at 140 as he was at 135, war again, Mattysse outguns him

At this point he is hopefully a belt holder

Judah rematch - KO him and get the W he deserved the first time.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:23 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:I heard that Maidana vs Matthysse depends on the outcome of Khan/Garcia i.e. if Khan wins as expected, it is anticipated he'll vacate the belt and move up.

If the WBC belt becomes vacant Soto was originally in line to become the mandatory against some other guy I can't remember. As Matthysse beat Soto he should rank above and therefore if Khan vacates get a shot.

All a bit complicated!

Didn't Olugssen win a WBC title eliminator a few weeks back!? How the hell does Soto become mandatory!?

I think Olugssen vs Matthysse is the more sensible option next for the WBC belt (if vacated). Garcia can take a hike if he loses his first defence. He won the belt in questionable terms anyhow against a shocking version of a legend.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

Olugssen, what's he like? Not seen much of him

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:I heard that Maidana vs Matthysse depends on the outcome of Khan/Garcia i.e. if Khan wins as expected, it is anticipated he'll vacate the belt and move up.

All a bit complicated!

Didn't Olugssen win a WBC title eliminator a few weeks back!? How the hell does Soto become mandatory!?

I think Olugssen vs Matthysse is the more sensible option next for the WBC belt (if vacated). Garcia can take a hike if he loses his first defence. He won the belt in questionable terms anyhow against a shocking version of a legend.

In believe Soto would have faced Olugssen if title was vacant but Matthysse would take Soto's place.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:49 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Olugssen, what's he like? Not seen much of him

I think he looks really dangerous, hence why he hasn't got a shot yet. He has quick hands, great skillset, perhaps lacks power but is pretty tough do wont be worn down too easily. He beats Garcia imo

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Olugssen, what's he like? Not seen much of him

He is more than capable of beating Matthysse.

Put on a clinic against Ali Chebah for the eliminator last year but hasn't fought since.

Still unbeaten in 30 odd fights but now in his 30s which could be his downfall.

This is the real "Who needs him" haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Jun 2012, 4:31 pm

Belongs in my "most dangerous fighters" thread by the sound of it - haha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 25 Jun 2012, 4:39 pm

Great thread this one. I really like Lucas, and feel he is an undefeated fighter after two close, but clear wins.

Anyway, i would love to see him get in with Amir Khan. That be a good fight, a real clash of styles and i honestly believe Amir would not run as much, but instead try and use speed to overwhelm him.

Whatever happens next he deserves a big fight and in my mind is certainly in with a shout of victory against anyone at or around 140.

Go Lucas! Topple another giant of the sport!!!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:26 pm

As a Marquez fan I would be very worried about him fighting Mattysse, that guy is an absolute beast at 140.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:27 pm

Matthysse is a undefeated (at least in my eyes) beast of a argentine powerhouse with underated skills.

With Khan moving up and Bradley tied up with Pac, I cant see anything but Lucas becoming the main man at 140, and thats not even to say he wouldn't be if Khan and bradley stuck around.

Potential fights with Rios/Maidana/Garcia/Judah/Avardo are all mouthwatering scraps and I would fancy Lucas in all of them

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 25 Jun 2012, 6:54 pm

ill echo your comments sean, big fan, liked this guy for a while. a rematch with zab or alexander as he already beat them both before imo. failing that maidana would be good, although he has already said he isnt keen on facing his fellow countryman (but he would if he had too). garcia would be an option if he performs well against khan, and morales has the obvious name recognition.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:07 pm

For those who didnt see the fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M1MMd0QeB0
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:09 pm

Don't think the rematch with Alexander would happen with Alexander seemingly being a full WW now and was complaining before of struggling to make LWW, not too sure Matthysse would carry the same threat at WW also. Judah may not want to risk it again but may not have a lot of options left.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:41 pm

Alvarado would be perfect for Matthysse, great pick eddyfightfan.

Alexander is fighing Bailey for the WW belt he has.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:54 pm

I hear the bones crunching evertime Mattysse throws punches to Soto's face, the impact looks like it will knock down a brick wall.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:55 pm

Haven't seen Alvarado, but I'd be surprised if there's anyone out there who could beat Matthysse at LWW at the minute. I'd fancy him to clean out the division. He may then have to go up to get big money fights. As the poster says he may not carry the same threat at welterweight, but it will be fun watching him. Some good fights first though at LWW.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:59 pm

First knockdown should have counted, he landed the punch as the bell was ringing.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:05 pm

With Khan, Alexander and Bradley all moving up to get any sort of recognition he needs to follow them eventually, he can beat the second tier at 140lbs although I think Rios and Marquez beat him anyhow. If he does ascend to the top it will be a case of them moving up rather than getting there by rights as harsh as it is.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm

I don't think Rios can beat him, he was a big lightweight, whether he will be as effective at 140 when he can't bully the smaller man.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:16 pm

Rios is big even for a light welterweight so can't imagine the weight being a problem at all for him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:34 pm

Rios would be interesting but Rios will still be a monster at 140lbs he was huge at 135lbs. Matthysse would be the boxer out of the 2 but whether he can take Rios's dig is another question.

I would like to see him in with Marquez but I don't think he would win. Marquez would win with a bit to spare imo. Matthysse is good but a bit over reliant on his power and Marquez just doesn't get stopped.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue 26 Jun 2012, 4:32 pm

I'd love to see Maidana vs Matthysse and it surely will happen as its a huge fight in their own country.

Matthysee is the one that I would back to win and it should be a War.

I can't see a 2nd fight with Zab Judah happening and the Argentine is unlikely to be getting many offers from rival fighters.

Would love to see him in with Brandon Rios or Mike Alvarado. It seems most likely that it will be a vacant belt he fights for later this year. No way Khan sticks around to face him.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:23 pm

'No way Khan sticks around to face him'

Yet wants a fight with Mayweather. I wonder if Richard Schaefer could explain how Khan is any more deserving of a fight with Floyd than Matthysse.

Matthyse probably isn't deserving of a shot yet, but unlike Khan, I bet he wants to prove himself number one in his weight class.

Surely at least prove you're number one at your weight before calling out Floyd. And surely also prove you're number one before moving up. Nothing against Khan, I ought to stress that, I don't think he's a bad kid.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:34 pm

Not sure how Khan hasn't tried to prove himself the number in his division, i'm guessing because he hasn't fought Matthyse? He could in all likelihood be holding 3 of the 4 major belts after facing Garcia and has chased a fight with Bradley for about 2 years now.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:51 pm

Afternoon Imperial Ghosty,

Bradley proved himself number one at his weight, and so got a big fight. Isn't that the least you have to do to get a big fight or am I missing something?

And holding three out of the four belts doesn't make you number one if the other beltholder is the best in the division. You could right though, maybe Khan does want to prove himself the best in his division, but one way or the other, he has yet to do that.

If he does move up, would he then have to prove himself the number one welterweight before legitimately calling out Floyd?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:55 pm

How did Bradley prove himself the best at 140lbs, he didn't beat Khan which stops him laying claiming to being the definite number one at the weight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 6:01 pm

Surely the fight with Alexander was to decide the number one in the division?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 6:42 pm

Khan was ranked number two with Alexander at number three at the time of that fight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 6:57 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Khan was ranked number two with Alexander at number three at the time of that fight.

Could you provide some evidence? I thought I remember it as Alexander at number two. But you might be able to disprove that, I'm feeling.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:07 pm

Simple answer to that is the fact there is no ring magazine champion at light welterweight which Bradley would have been were Alexander the number 2.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:11 pm

I think Bradley deserved to claim the #1 spot

They both have similar leveled CV's , Witter-Alexander-Holt-Peterson vs Judah-Maidana-Kotelnik-Malignaggi

Khan will dodge matthysse and I won't have a problem with that, he said he would go to 147 after Peterson and if it weren't for that then they would neve rave fought anyway. If he beats Garcia THEN announces he wanted to move up it would sound a bit dodgy

Bradley wants to stay at welter to get a pacquiao or mayweather get and khan wants mayweather so LWW is up for grabs

Last edited by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs on Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:15 pm

How on earth is Khan dodging Matthyse? Think people are overplaying him massively here, he's just beaten Soto granted but he's a far smaller man who clearly can't cut it at the weight, not as if he's been knocking out everyone and whether some agree or not he's lost to both Judah and Alexander in close fights.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 8:45 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Simple answer to that is the fact there is no ring magazine champion at light welterweight which Bradley would have been were Alexander the number 2.

Seems like Bradley owes Khan a shot then, if indeed you are right in that Bradley didn't prove himself number one. But at LWW only.

Question would be then is Khan automatically entitled to that shot at welterweight, or would he have to beat the number two welterweight to get it?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 8:50 pm

For starters Bradley isn't considered the number one at Welterweight either but were Khan to move up having unified at 140lbs then he would be as worthy as anyone of a shot at a title at 147lbs.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 8:59 pm

Agreed. Unified champ gets an anutomatic crack at the next weight.

So to unify, would Khan have to beat Matthysse after Garcia?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:01 pm

Matthyse doesn't hold any form of world title so no, much depends if the IBF and WBA do the right thing and return the belts to Khan.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

I must be going mad- I thought Matthysse owned a portion of the title. I genuinely did. What a terrible mistake to make!

And could you explain the bit about about the IBF and WBA returning the belts to Khan?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:15 pm

Peterson failing a drugs and the expected outcome of their fight is for it to be changed to a no contest.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm

Absolutely, they must give Khan the belts.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:30 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:With Khan, Alexander and Bradley all moving up to get any sort of recognition he needs to follow them eventually, he can beat the second tier at 140lbs although I think Rios and Marquez beat him anyhow. If he does ascend to the top it will be a case of them moving up rather than getting there by rights as harsh as it is.

A voice of sanity.......for a change.

Lets get things into perspective here. Mathysse looked devastating in his last fight. He was fighting a beefed up SFW who was not powerful enough or skilled enough to move. In my opinion he beat both Judah and Alexander. But Judah has always been vulnerable in the chin department. Why couldn't this devastating guy put him away?

Khan will school this guy. JMM would have a field day.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:37 pm

JMM would pose the biggest danger to Matthysse. That's a tough nights work for Khan imo. If he beat Matthysse, I might just start believing in him.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:40 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:JMM would pose the biggest danger to Matthysse. That's a tough nights work for Khan imo. If he beat Matthysse, I might just start believing in him.

Other that beating up on a blown up super feather, what has Mattysse done to deserve such elevated hype? He struggled with boxers and excels against sluggers. If Judah can run him close, Khan schools him.

I suppose if Khan moves up in weight, he will be accused of ducking Lucas.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:52 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:With Khan, Alexander and Bradley all moving up to get any sort of recognition he needs to follow them eventually, he can beat the second tier at 140lbs although I think Rios and Marquez beat him anyhow. If he does ascend to the top it will be a case of them moving up rather than getting there by rights as harsh as it is.

A voice of sanity.......for a change.

Lets get things into perspective here. Mathysse looked devastating in his last fight. He was fighting a beefed up SFW who was not powerful enough or skilled enough to move. In my opinion he beat both Judah and Alexander. But Judah has always been vulnerable in the chin department. Why couldn't this devastating guy put him away?

Khan will school this guy. JMM would have a field day.

I agree about Marquez (I think that matthysse has a great chance) although wont be as close as you make it sound and khan has struggled with pressure fighters in the past

Your doing a little bit of an injustice towards lucas also. Yes soto used to campaign at SFW but was at lightweight for a couple of years facing big guys like antillon. We all though Lucas would win but it was how quickly he did it. Soto is as tough as they come but was battered by the 5th

Judah isn't chinny either and matthysse did put him on the floor. It took a prime Cotto 11 rounds to eventually wear Judah down at welterweight (a weight Judah never did well at) and khan put him down with a body shot which anyone can of down from

Alexander should stylistically have completely bossed Lucas like he did Maidana but Lucas was too skilled and knocked Alexander down, I don't think he was ever down before that

Anyone who (should) holds wins over Judah, Alexander and soto won't be easy for anyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:53 pm

Not necessarily the best barometer to use but stateside Danny Garcia is rated higher than Matthyse who's win over Soto got very little coverage, on here it's hailed as a massive event when in the wider boxing world it's failed to make a ripple.

Before he fought Maidana everyone said 'if he beats him i'll start believing' as soon as he does and in the process shows qualities we didn't know he had you then have those same people saying he has to beat Matthyse, he has to beat Bradley, he has to beat whoever. When does it stop and will people step back from their dislike of him as a person and appreciate he is actually a very good boxer who's got some fine wins under his belt. Malignaggi, Judah, Kotelnik and Maidana aren't fools, Judah recently showed he still has a bit left in the tank by dominating Paris who had a bit of hype surrounding him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:55 pm

I'd like to see if Khan could hold it all together in the face of that kind of firepower. There could be no slip ups. I don't see how Matthysse could fail to land. Much easier to beat a boxer who's got no power. No fear factor.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:00 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:I'd like to see if Khan could hold it all together in the face of that kind of firepower. There could be no slip ups. I don't see how Matthysse could fail to land. Much easier to beat a boxer who's got no power. No fear factor.

He held it together with the bombs that Maidana threw and came back blazing in the 10th. Problem is Matthysse will not cope with Khan's speed and durability.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next