The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"I Would Prefer To Play Against Another One" Says Nadal

+6
kingraf
Jahu
Haddie-nuff
CaledonianCraig
Danny_1982
hawkeye
10 posters

Go down

"I Would Prefer To Play Against Another One" Says Nadal Empty "I Would Prefer To Play Against Another One" Says Nadal

Post by hawkeye Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:19 am

Nadal was informed after his semi final win that he faces his 37th meeting with Djokovic. He was then asked how much he enjoyed playing Novak. He said "I would prefer to play against another one..."

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?promo=subnav&category=press

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

"I Would Prefer To Play Against Another One" Says Nadal Empty Re: "I Would Prefer To Play Against Another One" Says Nadal

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:37 am

He said the same when asked about the prospect of playing Isner earlier in the tournament. He also said the same about meeting Federer... Neither happened. Perhaps he's thinking its a good luck charm and Novak will pull out injured? Laugh

I hope they both play well and give us a good final. It's not been the greatest slam. Apart from Stan's and Gasquet's runs, nothing's really happened!

I like both men, but would have a slight preference for a Novak win. However I think Rafa has been playing better Si I think he'll win. Hoping for a 5 set classic.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

"I Would Prefer To Play Against Another One" Says Nadal Empty Re: "I Would Prefer To Play Against Another One" Says Nadal

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:43 am

That just sounds to me like its a compliment in Novak's direction meaning he'd sooner play a less difficult opponent. I may be wrong but in this case I don't think so.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:53 am

Oh well the yellow streak is noticeable!

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:56 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:That just sounds to me like its a compliment in Novak's direction meaning he'd sooner play a less difficult opponent. I may be wrong but in this case I don't think so.
That's exactly what it is. Rafa being polite in an interview, like he always is.

The alternative would be "I'm glad I'm playing him, he's easy to beat".... Not really Rafa's style, no?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:58 am

Laugh 
legendkillarV2 wrote:Oh well the yellow streak is noticeable!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:01 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:Laugh 
:P

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:07 am

raspberry 
legendkillarV2 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Laugh 
:P

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:52 am

Nadal should talk less, no? And focus to kick Djoko quickly in 3.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 08 Sep 2013, 12:39 pm

Rafa is not saying what he's meant to say is he? He's meant to say something like he's relishing the opportunity or mention his recent wins or maybe even talk of revenge for his previous meeting with Djokovic at this tournament. That's what many players do with much less to fear do. In sport it's more acceptable to show false bravado than just be a little honest. Rafa has nothing to prove as far as being able to live upto a challenge so can get away with being more honest than some.

After saying he would prefer to play someone else he does go on to describe what he does enjoy about playing Djokovic. He mentions the AO final and said that even though he lost he enjoyed it and talks about why. Basically I think he just enjoys a good scrap.

Hi Haddie Hug Enjoying the tennis?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Sep 2013, 1:14 pm

HI HE  Hug :  Yes very much so... was so impressed with Stan the Man what brilliant tennis he played yesterday.
Of course Rafa is looking forward to whapping Djoko but just doesn´t like saying so laughing  says 13 is his lucky number Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 08 Sep 2013, 1:23 pm

^ Stop it your making me nervous Wink

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Sep 2013, 1:28 pm

Keep the faith angel 

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 08 Sep 2013, 2:05 pm

I take it Im The only one who thought he was referring to Roger. I know they were playing in Quarter finals, but I read it as "I would have loved to play the USO final vs Federer".
Nadal generally doesnt outwardly say he would prefer to face a seperate opponent. So I really think he meant he would rather go on Ashe vs Federer, given his earlier utterances that the chances of a meeting is less likely now.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 08 Sep 2013, 5:51 pm

I wish Djokovic was playing Baghdadtis, Gonzalez, or Soderling in the final and not Nadal.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Sep 2013, 6:28 pm

socal1976 wrote:I wish Djokovic was playing Baghdadtis, Gonzalez, or Soderling in the final and not Nadal.
So does he Very Happy 

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 08 Sep 2013, 6:33 pm

Of course Haddie, who would want to play Rafa for the slam, and who would want to play Novak for that matter poor stan has gone two five setters with Novak and needed medical attention in both matches. It is a dumb question by the jorno, if I am the player and being honest I want the weakest and most drained possible opponent in the final. I don't want the next best guy out there or one of the best guys out there. Either way it is just a dumb question. The only way Nadal or Novak says yes I want to play the other guy in a final is if they are lying. Especially over 5 sets where they know there will be pain involved.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:01 pm

Thats the life of a tennis player when you are at the top... they all find that out sooner or later.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mafaveli Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:31 pm

hawkeye wrote:Nadal was informed after his semi final win that he faces his 37th meeting with Djokovic. He was then asked how much he enjoyed playing Novak. He said "I would prefer to play against another one..."

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?promo=subnav&category=press
You have to respect the honesty, instead of the usual "I'm looking forward to the challenge..." Blah blah blah

He isn't disrespecting Djoker at all, quite the opposite he is stating Djoker is a player to be feared.

Mafaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 09 Sep 2013, 3:21 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
socal1976 wrote:I wish Djokovic was playing Baghdadtis, Gonzalez, or Soderling in the final and not Nadal.
So does he  Very Happy 
What about Tsonga?

and the best part is all those names beat Rafa enroute to their finals Very Happy , so its just a cheap mugshot attempt on the GS winner. Doh 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 09 Sep 2013, 5:11 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
So does he  Very Happy 
What about Tsonga?

and the best part is all those names beat Rafa enroute to their finals Very Happy , so its just a cheap mugshot attempt on the GS winner. Doh 
Lighten up ic its a slam final not the end of the world. As i said when you are at the top this is all par for course It doesn´t matter who is across the net you have to beat them to win... funny old game

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 09 Sep 2013, 7:18 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
So does he  Very Happy 
What about Tsonga?

Lighten up ic its a slam final not the end of the world. As i said when you are at the top this is all par for course  It doesn´t matter who is across the net you have to beat them to win... funny old game
Agreed HN.
It was just socal's way of saying that Fed only ever played easy par 3 courses, but Djoko has always had to play tough par 5's on the links, making Djoko's GS wins so much more valuable. We know, of course, that socal remains objective and impartial when it comes to Fed and Djoko Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:40 am

Well it seems to me that if you want to be No.1. and break slam records then you dont get there by beating nobodies sooner or later you will be faced with your nemesis no matter what round of a tournament. In this particular case they are doomed to face each other in the final.. some you win some you lose. They both know that on the right day they can be so evenly matched it can go either way. Today I think what goes on in their heads will be more important than what comes off their racquets It will imo be all about confidence.  It is not one for the fans to argue over .. they are both champions even though you may prefer one to the other.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:52 am

I think Djoko's win over Stan will have given him a lot of confidence. It was a tough match, but he went into stubborn "I will not be beaten" mode and came from behind for the win.
If he finds himself 2 sets to 1 behind against Rafa, he will have that SF there to get the belief that he can still win.
Rafa's confidence isn't in question at the moment.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:33 am

Yes i agree to some extent JM but he knew he could wear Stan down in the end... those tactics dont work on Rafa. imo Rafa needs to play like he did in Montreal .. Stan had the right tactics at the beginning of that match the ones that Rafa adopted in his last meeting with Novak.. keep him pinned to the back of the court. If Rafa tries slugging it out from the baseline then imo he is done !!! But hey ho... will be a late night for me I fear Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down