The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Llodra serves underarm against Murray

+5
theslosty
invisiblecoolers
JuliusHMarx
Danny_1982
R!skysports
9 posters

Go down

Llodra serves underarm against Murray Empty Llodra serves underarm against Murray

Post by R!skysports Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:29 am

Now how often do you see that?

Is it bad sportsmanship? If someone did that to me in a match I would be might peeved?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/us-open-llodra-underhand-044909435.html

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Llodra serves underarm against Murray Empty Re: Llodra serves underarm against Murray

Post by Danny_1982 Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:59 am

I don't think so personally. Anything within the rules of the game to try and win a point is fine by me. Plus it was right at the end of the match anyway.

It's good entertainment. Even if he had done it at 5-5 in a fifth set it wouldn't have bothered me to be honest.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Llodra serves underarm against Murray Empty Re: Llodra serves underarm against Murray

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:16 am

I think it's more legitimate when the pros do it - all part of getting the win. If someone did it against me, I wouldn't complain, but I'd think they were a d1ck.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:25 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:I think it's more legitimate when the pros do it - all part of getting the win. If someone did it against me, I wouldn't complain, but I'd think they were a d1ck.
Laugh damn right. Inwardly, I'd be fuming. But I wouldn't complain. It's in the rules.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 am

Under arm serve should be easier to return than normal serves, had it been difficult players like Isner, Karlovic would have no advantage on their serves and would have rather practiced under arm serves Very Happy 

The tricky part is when it comes as a surprise it remains surprise but if somebody does it time and again then it becomes way too easy to return, so if Llodra used it to break Murray's focus and return it was an awesome idea but not sure it would serve anything big in the long term within the match.

If I am ML's opponent I would rather take his underarm serve every point than over arm serve.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:02 pm

There are a lot of things in the rules that are down right bad sportmanship

Screeching like a banshee is - but imo is still cheating and should be not allowed

Under hand serves, while technically allowed really are a sneaky way to try and win a point

So, while I would not have any recourse on this - I would lose most of my respect from a player trying to do that

What would have been the outcry if Murray had done it?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:16 am

I don't see any problem with it. In fact I have successfully used it in some less competitive games myself.

A drop shot isn't considered bad sportsmanship.

Ale Llodra
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:23 am

Riskysports wrote:There are a lot of things in the rules that are down right bad sportmanship

Screeching like a banshee is - but imo is still cheating and should be not allowed

Under hand serves, while technically allowed really are a sneaky way to try and win a point

So, while I would not have any recourse on this - I would lose most of my respect from a player trying to do that

What would have been the outcry if Murray had done it?
nobody would have blamed Murray, fed or nadal if they have done it. some people might find that a bit sad though. my personal opinion is that it would be downright funny if Federer ofr instance does that once.

serving like that is usually a desperate measure from someone who almost lost the game. as someone said, it can only work once if anything and that's if the opponent is not really focused or sitting very deep behind the baseline anyway.
If someone does that against, I wont complain for sure and he or she can expect the mother of all flat forehand as a return Wink

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Yeah, its in the rules, so is a toilet break, so is an injury timeout, so is contesting a call for ages, so is asking for the line judges to be changed, so is changing your racquet and lots of other things, all acceptable courses of action, underarm serving is affective but makes you look stupid when it goes wrong, and its not that uncommon a tactic......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0euUZVL70H0 (berdych action is wrong as there is no ball toss, he'd be good at badminton though.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieTy3CfBpMg (last few seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTMLBQWIkQM (0:54 sec)

And finally, how to perfect the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRjcO06wsKQ

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:27 pm

The match was over, he was just clowning around and entertaining the crowd.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:37 pm

I remember Llodra doing it to Federer in Toronto 2010, Federer was so shocked he shanked it into row z! He found it hilarious

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down