The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Llodra (v Del Potro)

2 posters

Go down

Llodra (v Del Potro) Empty Llodra (v Del Potro)

Post by bogbrush Wed 16 May 2012, 12:56 am

Just watched him break back in the 3rd set and I got very nostalgic for a form of tennis that is so badly missed. So much imagination, variety and surprise compared to the biff-baff we watch all the time now.

Long may the Frenchman continue!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Llodra (v Del Potro) Empty Re: Llodra (v Del Potro)

Post by lydian Wed 16 May 2012, 1:25 am

Agreed on that front - good to have atour with variety to it. There were always players like Nadal and Djokovic (e.g. Agassi, Borg, etc) but we need more guys who are like Sampras, Edberg and Rafter to add the contrast. Llodra shows that this style can work as he only narrowly lost to Delpo.

Sampras himself has said that he believes his type of game could still dominate in this era and I believe him given he was leagues ahead of Llodra. Infact we're even seeing Federer starting to revert more to this style...it was his serve and attacking forecourt game that largely won the match against Berdych albeit on a faster surface. We just need some of the up and comers to adopt a different style rather than the military baseline drill approach that is so in vogue with tennis coaches at the moment and driven by surface homogenisation.

I think it will happen, because as with evolution its all about differentiation and someone comes along who changes things up. I dont believe you can get much better at what Nadal and Djokovic do but you can challenge them using a different approach. Raonic shows this...what we need is a 6'1' Raonic with better movement, returns and volleys. The players just need to be bold...to take a riskier approach, and learn greater reward comes with greater risk.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 16 May 2012, 1:42 am

With a nudge in their direction from the equipment/courts.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 16 May 2012, 1:44 am

Yes...proper tennis mini-seasons....slow HC...clay...fast grass....faster HC...indoors.
Not much can be done about the racquets/strings.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down