The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic Loses When He Wins

+5
time please
lags72
HM Murdock
Danny_1982
hawkeye
9 posters

Go down

Djokovic Loses When He Wins Empty Djokovic Loses When He Wins

Post by hawkeye Sat 10 Aug 2013, 10:13 am

As far as Djokovic's tennis went in his quarter final win over Gasquet last night I would give him an A or maybe even an A+

But then he did his silly but choreographed dance routine with someone dressed as a smiley tennis ball and ball "kids" in on the act. It was the first time I had seen Djokovic's little show that apparently he has performed after each of his matches in Canada. Seeing it in context I could only view it in two ways...

Either it was dismissive of the drama of sport where a win or a loss has meaning and forms the entertainment. Tennis as a TV game show that needs padding out with dressing up, dancing and maybe even a few custard pies! In that case maybe Richard should have been asked to join in?

Or the win and loss is still important. Crucially so! And Djokovic's little victory dance was disrespectful to the 7th best player in the world who had been given a beating. The "sillyness" of the dance making it look even more disrespectful.

If Djokovic's performance had been the equivalent of a driving test he would have performed the driving tasks brilliantly then ended it by crashing into a wall... or maybe even knocking over an old lady. He may have earned an A for his tennis but his overall performance was a fail. His cringe making routine forced me to make the ultimate judgement. I switched it off! I have no desire to see it again.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Djokovic Loses When He Wins Empty Re: Djokovic Loses When He Wins

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 10:44 am

Don't be so dramatic!

The crowd and the ball kids liked it, and he waited until Gasquet had gone so not disrespectful towards him.

It's a bit of fun. He's not afraid to make a clown out of himself for entertainment so fair play to him.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 10 Aug 2013, 10:55 am

Don't watch it then.

Gasquet had left the court when it happened. The organisers seem to want him to do it. The crowd seems to enjoy it. The ball kids look they were loving it.

It's not really to my taste but I can't see a problem with it.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 10 Aug 2013, 11:00 am

Danny_1982

But I didn't find it entertaining. I switched it off and have no wish to see it repeated because IMO it detracted rather than added to the spectacle.  

Did you find it entertaining? Is it something you would like to see more of?

Maybe Roger could do a bit of juggling if people need something extra to make them watch him and Rafa could learn a few card tricks to pad out his post match routine?

Gasquet had left the court? But if it was a bit of fun why did he leave the court? He could have joined in and danced with the smiley ball character. I'm sure he can dance just as well as Djokovic in fact probably better...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 11:10 am

Did I like it? It was alright. It's always good to see players engaging with the crowd. They enjoyed it and that's the main thing.

I can't remember a number 1 with such a sense of fun and that's a positive for the game in my opinion.

I find it a little bizarre that you felt so strongly about it to turn it off AND write an article about it. But hey, each to their own.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 10 Aug 2013, 11:18 am

hawkeye wrote:Gasquet had left the court? But if it was a bit of fun why did he leave the court? He could have joined in and danced with the smiley ball character. I'm sure he can dance just as well as Djokovic in fact probably better...
Ask him.

https://twitter.com/richard_gasquet

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 11:20 am

Haven't seen his dance. It doesn't sound like my sort of thing but seems the crowd enjoyed it, doesn't do any harm so don't see the need to criticise or take offence.

It's always been the quality of play and general behaviour/attitude during a match that matters most to me. Novak acquits himself pretty well in that respect.

I wasn't a fan of the Federer monogrammed jacket (or whatever it was) but I disliked much more all the nonsense spouted by some about how allegedly distasteful it all was. I feel the same way about Novak's post-match choreographed dance.

Ps....it does sound more light-hearted than the shirt-rip routine.......Shocked 

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 10 Aug 2013, 11:29 am

Here's the video of the dark incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWBTphF_G90

The crowd voice their disgust by clapping a cheering. And those awful ball kids keep on dancing afterwards! Have they no respect for the 8th best player in the world? Do they not realise how this undermines tennis?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 10 Aug 2013, 11:34 am

hawkeye wrote: I'm sure he can dance just as well as Djokovic in fact probably better...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptrKc_9cBBw

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 11:38 am

I think I understand why HE is so annoyed. It's because Novak is a better dancer than Rafa...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=teI8csbXbD8&desktop_uri=%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DteI8csbXbD8

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 10 Aug 2013, 11:51 am

Danny_1982 wrote:I think I understand why HE is so annoyed. It's because Novak is a better dancer than Rafa...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=teI8csbXbD8&desktop_uri=%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DteI8csbXbD8
Only one way to decide this - DANCE OFF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTT36a5Ya0I

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 12:09 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
Danny_1982 wrote:I think I understand why HE is so annoyed. It's because Novak is a better dancer than Rafa...

Only one way to decide this - DANCE OFF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTT36a5Ya0I
Game set match Djokovic!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 10 Aug 2013, 2:35 pm

Ha ha! I enjoyed watching the links showing Rafa and Novak dancing and I have nothing against dancing. It was where and when Novak chose to do his carefully planned routine that made me cringe and have to switch off. Rafa drunkenly dancing in a club or them both dancing at an exhibition are completely different situations. For what it's worth I'm sure that Novak would make a much better light entertainer than Rafa but neither should quit their day jobs for a career in dance...

Those distancing themselves by indicating that the "crowd" liked it. Don't they think the "crowd" might be sophisticated enough to be hesitant in their appreciation too? As I said IMO it either detracts from the drama of sport as a battle or is disrespectful to a losing opponent. I checked Gasquet's twitter account and there is no mention of Djokovic dancing with a smiling tennis ball. I'm not on twitter but if I was I don't think in the circumstances I'd want to bring up Djokovic's "performance" and ask him what he thought about it. It would feel mean. After all didn't Djokovic wait around specifically until Gasquet had left before calling out his ball kid dance troupe. It was also obvious that it had all been rehearsed. That in itself puts Federer's "15" jacket in perspective.

If Djokovic wants to dance with a smiley tennis ball and ball kids fair enough but there's a time and place. He wouldn't want to make another players Dad angry for not respecting his son now would he?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 10 Aug 2013, 3:54 pm

The tour needs its No 1 player to show his character imo, especially now with Fed not making the latter stages of tournaments - otherwise Nadal is out there on his own in terms of star appeal for those that are drawn to the game more during periods of big personalities.  He has been sold to TV audiences as 'the Serbinator' over the last two years, but perhaps that is not how we who've watched him for longer would have catergorised him? It's not especially to my taste (preferred the golf club last year at Wimbledon!) but the ball kids had fun!

Should think Novak himself is probably pleased to be able to show a lighter side after his father's outburst HE!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 10 Aug 2013, 4:52 pm

time please.

In terms of selling tennis I agree there may be worrying times ahead but I don't think dancing with a smiley tennis ball after winning a 1,000 quarter final will help. You too have indicated that it's not to your taste so why not trust your judgement? As I said before why imagine "the crowd" have less taste and will be fobbed off with this as star appeal? I'm surprised that Djokovic is doing this as I always thought he was quite media savvy.

As far as Djokovic's father goes. I wonder what he would have preferred Roger and Rafa to do after beating his son. Rip their shirts off and beat their chests or take part in a rehearsed victory dance with a smiley tennis ball and the ball kids? They could even invite Novak to join in...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 5:30 pm

The dance is terrible, when you become rich, employ people, and become successful like Djokovic you become rich man crazy. In my time as a lawyer I experienced the same thing with judges. People kiss their ass, tell them that their stupid ideas are great ideas and after a few years the modestly successful man of mediocre intellect starts thinking he is Oliver Wendell Holmes or something. Same thing happens when you become a multimillionaire superstar athlete. Sure Ronaldino your hairdo doesn't make you look like Jar Jar Binks, yes Novak you are a great dancer. A crucial thing in handling success is learning to disregard your own ass kissers and your own public relations. Personally, the dance is corney, is it meant in fun and to engage the crowd in a positive way, yes it is. Still I could really do with out it. That being said I hardly see it as a breach or crime or misdemeanor or anything like that. Novak just needs someone to tell him he looks queerer than a 2 dollar bill, when you get to his level there are fewer and fewer of those people around you.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 10 Aug 2013, 5:51 pm

hawkeye wrote:If Djokovic wants to dance with a smiley tennis ball and ball kids fair enough but there's a time and place.
This made me laugh! Just out of curiosity, when is the time to dance with a smiley tennis ball?

If Novak beats Rafa tonight and does a dance, I fear you may explode.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 10 Aug 2013, 5:52 pm

So I gather Im the only one who actually likes the dance? Sure it doesnt dispel any myths about White people's dancing skillset (If the ATP really needed a resident dancer, why didnt they approach the finest breakdancer in the sport, LaMonf?), but its fun, carefree, and imo, very good for the No1e image, especially given his recent history (The netgate at RG - especially the rant afterwards, and the general lack of sunshine you normally associate with the Nole.)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 6:03 pm

kingraf wrote:So I gather Im the only one who actually likes the dance? Sure it doesnt dispel any myths about White people's dancing skillset (If the ATP really needed a resident dancer, why didnt they approach the finest breakdancer in the sport, LaMonf?), but its fun, carefree, and imo, very good for the No1e image, especially given his recent history (The netgate at RG - especially the rant afterwards, and the general lack of sunshine you normally associate with the Nole.)
The fact that you think the Nole dance dispels the myth about White people's dancing skills, proves that you are probably a white guy who can't dance and therefore you think Novak is a good dancer. Your friend socal has particularly good moves and let me tell you Novak shouldn't quit his day job. By the way I prefer his dance moves in this one much better, grandma looks like she is having fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ht0kMXJlKA

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 10 Aug 2013, 6:21 pm

I said it doesnt dispel myths about white people's dancing skills SoCal. Funny video though. Djoko really is a character
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 10 Aug 2013, 6:58 pm

socal. I agree with a lot of what you've said. Why is no one telling him how cringe making this is. I volunteer you to do it.

HM Mudoch. Ha ha! I am no expert in dancing with a smiley ball but I do recognize some of the times and places where it is inappropriate. I am surprised that Novak who is an expert is in need of such advice. It wasn't appropriate after beating any of his earlier opponents but I doubt that he would dare do it if he manages to get a win against Rafa. No way is Djokovic that stupid!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Cav Sat 10 Aug 2013, 9:27 pm

hawkeye wrote:No way is Djokovic that stupid!
Well I believe he is.

Cringe-worthy it certainly is. And done once, you can think, meh, mildly amusing (not by me I hasten to add). But done over and over it loses its appeal, especially when he adds to it by purposely bringing a ridiculous afro wig in his holdall to wear as he did after the Istomin match - and unfortunately for Istomin, he wasn't granted the courtesy of Djokovic at least waiting till he'd left the court to perform his pre-arranged victory dance. Not very respectful.

Tough for Djokovic that he comes along after the universally liked double act of Federer and Nadal. But Federer, for instance, didn't earn his global appreciation and admiration by performing stupid gimmicks as No. 1. He earnt it by what he did on court, how he carried himself on it and how he has behaved off it. If Djokovic wants to be held in the high esteem he so obviously craves, then he'd be well advised to follow that example.

Cav

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 11 Aug 2013, 12:34 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
hawkeye wrote: I'm sure he can dance just as well as Djokovic in fact probably better...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptrKc_9cBBw
Some quality quotes in here such as
" it was my first time to do a cheerleader"
Wonder if that was just before gasquet was caught positive on cocaine (which he got from allegedly kissing some girl)

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down