The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hits they turned down

+13
Stella
Cari
WhiteCamry
The Boss
kingraf
TRUSSMAN66
superflyweight
Il Gialloblu
Rowley
Adam D
Mind the windows Tino.
Hero
Kenny
17 posters

Go down

The Hits they turned down  Empty The Hits they turned down

Post by Kenny Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:45 pm

Do you know any Singers/ Bands that turned down a song that was then a hit for someone else ?

I know Britney turned down both Umbrella and Telephone which were then huge hits for Rhianna and Lady Gaga

and apparently Janet Jackson turned down both I Wanna Dance With Somebody and How Will I Know both recorded by Whitney
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

The Hits they turned down  Empty Re: The Hits they turned down

Post by Hero Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:01 am

We found love by Calvin Harris with Rihanna on vocals was originally offered to Nicole Shirtswinger

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:04 am

Call Me was originally planned with Stevie Nicks in mind but Debbie Harry ended up working on it.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:10 am

I think Stevie Nicks was also suppose to record These Dreams which then went to Heart
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 am

Cliff Richards was originally offered Smack My B*tch Up but turned it down and the Prodigy took in on instead.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Cliff Richards was originally offered Smack My B*tch Up but turned it down and the Prodigy took in on instead.

Incorrect - he did actually record it back in 1964 with the Shadows. It was a B Side to "Its Chico Time"

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 am

Apparently Gareth Gates turned down Leave Right Now, which went on to be a huge hit for Will Young. God only knows how I know such a thing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am

Rowley wrote:Apparently Gareth Gates turned down Leave Right Now, which went on to be a huge hit for Will Young. God only knows how I know such a thing.

Didn't your mum know someone in Hearsay or One Direction or something like that? She sold a cat or a mule to one of them or something along those lines?

You're the 606v2 'go-too' man for pop music.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:16 am

No Tina, you forgetting this is as hurtful as people forgetting your grasshopper vs hornet story. My mum mated one of her dogs with Mark from Westlife's dogs.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:20 am

Rowley wrote:No Tina, you forgetting this is as hurtful as people forgetting your grasshopper vs hornet story. My mum mated one of her dogs with Mark from Westlife's dogs.

That's the one. In fairness, Jeff, it was some time ago that you dropped this particular musical bombshell.

That reinforces your image as the 'go-too' man for manufactured pop music.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:30 am

I'm the go to guy for all musical knowledge Tina, except hip hop and METAL both of which are absolutely foreign worlds to me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 am

Rowley wrote:hip hop and METAL both of which are absolutely foreign worlds to me.

Same here. I desperately tried to understand Dave and his METAL crew but he rather hurtfully ignored me. I get the feeling they are not the most inclusive bunch.

Hip-Hop hasn't been the same since Boney M stopped playing.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 am

Agree about Dave and his metal types. I have tried to engage him in conversations about EUROPE before and he does not seem in anyway interested. I have similar problems with Hip Hop as I do with Mayweather. I really don't care how much people paid for their watches.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:38 am

Rowley wrote:No Tina, you forgetting this is as hurtful as people forgetting your grasshopper vs hornet story. My mum mated one of her dogs with Mark from Westlife

Shocked 
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Rowley wrote:No Tina, you forgetting this is as hurtful as people forgetting your grasshopper vs hornet story. My mum mated one of her dogs with Mark from Westlife

Shocked 

Well spotted IG. Which was the bitch, jeff?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Mark from Westlife's was the bitch. Surprised nobody has asked me this sooner, really adds depth and colour to what was already a zinger of a story.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Rowley wrote:Mark from Westlife was the bitch. Surprised nobody has asked me this sooner, really adds depth and colour to what was already a zinger of a story.

Shocked 
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Don't edit the story to make it look ridiculous Il, this is my number one anecdote. Without this my whole conversational arsenal is reliant on whoever I am speaking on giving a flying one about Charley Burley.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Sorry Jeff. I thought it was funny the first time.

And then even funnier the second.

I'm short of celebrity encounter anecdotes myself. I once might have told a girl from Hollyoaks where to get a decent burger in a rural southern Chinese town but I'm not sure if it was her or not. I only thought it might've been after she'd gone.

Michaels would despair at me missing the opportunity to end up not banging her. I hope he doesn't read this.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:

Michaels would despair at me missing the opportunity to end up not banging her. I hope he doesn't read this.

I'm yet to be convinced that michaels should be held up as some sort of a celebrity shagometer, Gia.

So far it amounts to the au pair of a famous person and a quick grope on the dancefloor with the chunky girl from Eastenders.

He is hardly Calum Best is he.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:21 pm

I once met the double take brother who was not Harry Enfield in a night club in Magaluf, I tend to save that though for the unlikely event my Westlife story has not knocked them bandy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:26 pm

In the brief period I was at university, I managed to meet someone who claimed to have snogged Melinda Messenger on a beach in Southsea, Portsmouth.

Could well of been a lie though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

I'm yet to be convinced that michaels should be held up as some sort of a celebrity shagometer, Gia.

So far it amounts to the au pair of a famous person and a quick grope on the dancefloor with the chunky girl from Eastenders.

I agree, Tino. Hence 'missing the opportunity to end up not banging her'.   Smile
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:

I agree, Tino. Hence 'missing the opportunity to end up not banging her'.   Smile

Clever.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:36 pm

I nearly spilled two pints on Ian "Beefy" Botham at the SCG. Didn't shag him though.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Apparenltly Jimmy Osmond turned down..........."God save the Queen" and "Pretty vacant" by the Sex pistols....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Donny Osmond did turned down .... Ben which gave Micheal Jackson his first solo no.1
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Michael Jackson in turn turned down "Rock your Body", which gave Justin Timberlake his first snash hit.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:08 pm

If Timberlake was crossing the road I think i'd put my foot on the gas............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:57 pm

T.L.C turned down Hit Me Baby One More Time. Miss Spears didn't do to badly with it.

Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez went on to drive her jeep into a tree. Hits all around.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Springsteen gave away 'Because the night' and 'Fire' to artists that I care a lot less about.

Dylan wrote and then gave up on Wagon Wheel which has became a very popular song in the last 2 years.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Manfred Mann never would have had a career If it wasn't for Dylan

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:40 pm

They made their money from a cover of subterranean homesick blues!

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Frank Ocean turned down a song he wrote "Bigger", for Justin Bieber. The song isn't a smash hit. But it does have a cult status as one of very few male R&B songs which is openly about a male on male love affair.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:19 pm

There was an unknown band from Liverpool who turned down "How Do You Do It?" only to let another band of Scouses make a hit of it.

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Interesting idea for a thread. Anyway, not so much a hit that someone turned down, but a dude called Andy Wickett sold a song he wrote (and its rights) "Girls on Film" to the remaining members of Duran Duran before they became famous for £600. Needless to say, I bet he's kicking himself now given that its one of their biggest hits and he gets nothing from it.

Madonna almost didn't record "Like A Virgin" because Nile Rogers (who was her producer at the time) turned it down at first cause he didn't think it was suitable for her, but then changed his mind later on when he couldn't get the hook out of his mind. Speaking of people not liking famous songs, Jon Bon Jovi didn't like "Livin' On A Prayer" originally, but then Ritchie Sambora messed around with it and persuaded him otherwise...not sure if that's a good or bad thing!

Kylie Minogue turned down "Toxic" which later became a massive hit for Britney Spears. Having said that, both S Club 7 and Sophie Ellis-Bextor turned down Kylie's big hit "Can't Get You Out of My Head" which was also written by Cathy Dennis as was "Toxic".

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:55 pm

WhiteCamry wrote:There was an unknown band from Liverpool who turned down "How Do You Do It?" only to let another band of Scouses make a hit of it.
Didn't The Beatles turn it down, so they could release their own song? Not sure who had it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:09 pm

CANNIBAL CORPSE's "She was asking for it" was turned down by Arthur Mullard whose people came up with the pathetic excuse that he'd died about twenty years earlier.

Rowley/Tina, I'm upset by your belief that I am unwilling to allow you to join the metal fraternity. I'm more than happy to give you a few pointers despite the nagging insistance that you'd just take the mick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:27 pm

The Supremes (who might have been Diana Ross and the Supremes by that point) turned down 'I Want You Back', so it was given to new Motown signings the Jackson Five. The record did quite well.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:23 am

Cari wrote:Kylie Minogue turned down "Toxic" which later became a massive hit for Britney Spears.  Having said that, both S Club 7 and Sophie Ellis-Bextor turned down Kylie's big hit "Can't Get You Out of My Head" which was also written by Cathy Dennis as was "Toxic".
I heard Gloria Estefan turned down CGYOOMH?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Pretty sure Tom Petty turned down the Don Henley hit Boys of Summer. I believe the tune was written by Mike Campbell the Heartbreakers guitarist who offered it to Tom first who didn't think much of it.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:23 pm

I heard Micheal Jackson was offered boys boys boys back in the 80's but it was turned down for some reason, it went on to become a massive 80's antham for Sabrina.

true story

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Laugh

censored

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 pm

FreekShow wrote:T.L.C turned down Hit Me Baby One More Time. Miss Spears didn't do to badly with it.

Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez went on to drive her jeep into a tree. Hits all around.
Not very classy Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Power Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Michael Jackson so did not turn down that song as if!

Mike Power

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down