The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has the wheel turned for England?

+3
Gatts
mckay1402
laughinggasman
7 posters

Go down

Has the wheel turned for England? Empty Has the wheel turned for England?

Post by laughinggasman Wed 16 Nov 2011, 6:45 pm

There is a certain sense of deja vu as to what is happening with England. As far as I can remember in 1987 England went out of the RWC in New Zealand at the quarter final stage (to my beloved Wales first time around). A line was drawn under it, with the RFU resolved to raise standards. In came a new coach (Geoff Cooke) and a new era of unparalled sucess. England became multiple grand slam 5N champions in th 1990's. Finalists in the 1991 RWC (should have really won it). This laid the foundation for the subsequent generation of Wilkinson, Dallaglio et al who ended up world champions.

Will Jonno's resignation have the same outcome? Also who do you want to come in as England manager?

laughinggasman

Back to top Go down

Has the wheel turned for England? Empty Re: Has the wheel turned for England?

Post by mckay1402 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

It could do. I actually think Johnson will go on to become a very good coach because of this world cup and the way he has been treated. I disliked him as a player but have grown to actually quite like him as a coach. He comes across as a very eloquent and intelligent man. He'll learn a lot and come back much stronger.

As for England they'll find an international coach of decent quality and have some success but until Rob Andrew goes they will be up and down like Wales were until they got the WRU sorted out.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:09 pm

Andrew's continued appointment gives the impression, albeit a press sponsored agenda, that the old farts are still alive and well and running the RFU.

He will go when the 'reviews' are published and if he doesn't i fear england will continue to be perceived as a mess

MJ will go on to great things as a coach and don't dismiss the chance he may return one day

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:38 pm

erm i think people are worrying about nothing- the proof will be in the puding- the rugby. The NZRU couldnt be a worse organisation yet it makes little difference to there rugby. cant wait for the 6n's and some rugby rather than these whitch hunts..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:23 am

did he say that too

more ignorance from him!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 17 Nov 2011, 12:37 am

I would be surprised if Johnson stays in coaching after this

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:46 am

I am wondering about that as well mm. Is Johno likely to head into club land from here? What did he do between finishing playing and taking the England job?

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 2:57 am

Martin Johnson is 38,too old really to resume playing,no reason why he cannot gain coaching certificates.He would obviously make a fine forwards coach eventually.
Martin Johnson was a great Player/Captain but had no CV as a Coach,IF he had a Manager to fall back on like SCW.Between them they could have made a show.
I am sad to see him go,but his coaches/conditioning team need to be held to account too.
Clubs are saying Players returning are un fit,aerobically,and that the Summer conditioning course was "A HOLIDAY CAMP" according to the Daily Mail.
Since 2003 under 3 Coaches results have been poor respectively speaking.
2007 RWC frankly was an anomaly,probably as big a surprise to the Coaches as anything on interim results.
England recently i`m told has a 77% record second only to the All Blacks,and was improving.
The team was packed with young players a Q/F place after winning the Group and hardly conceding any tries was the best that realistically could be expected.
Losing to France was no surprise to me,they always looked capable of upping there game if they had too.
What now of the 5 candidates mentioned,Nick Mallett having seen the set up with Rob Andrew does`nt want to know.
Jake White is involved in Australia,Graham Henry will almost take up a post in NZ.Brendan Venter maybe,but Jim Mallinder seem the favourite.
WHOEVER gets it,clean the stable ,appoint Coaches on merit,and a proper support structure for the Head Coach /Manager.
There is a lot ofyoung talent in England,4 years continuity they maybe contenders come 2015.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down