The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What next for Janowicz, Tomic, Raonic, Harrison, Dmitrov?

+3
Danny_1982
CaledonianCraig
MrInvisible
7 posters

Go down

What next for Janowicz, Tomic, Raonic, Harrison, Dmitrov? Empty What next for Janowicz, Tomic, Raonic, Harrison, Dmitrov?

Post by MrInvisible Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 pm

...and any other young (under 23) players you care to mention?

Janowicz made his big breakthrough at Wimbledon - served great, and had Murray in trouble for couple of sets.  He's a tough competitor and has the drop shots/touch shots to add extra dimension to his game.  His rise up the rankings will help him progress through the draw in the big tournaments.  Needs to work on fitness/flexibility, to ensure he doesn't get prone to injury.

Tomic - after a poor run of form over the past few months - linked partly to his volatile father, he had a good Wimbledon.  Tomic seems to be a big match player - I like his confidence and unconventional style of play.  I would say he needs to work on winning the lower level more 'mundane' bread-and-butter matches that players need to win in order to win the smaller titles and progress up the rankings.  Also I feel he could get some extra zip on his serve.

Raonic - I like his cool, focused temperament, and his serve and powerful groundstrokes (especially forehand, but backhand has improved) are potent weapons.  Raonic has already started winning smaller tournaments, which bodes well, but still is yet to make a big breakthrough in a slam.  Movement has improved but is still a weakness and he also really needs to work on his return game.  You can get to the top with an incomplete game based around a serve (a la Roddick) but he does need to polish his game a bit and notch up some wins against big name players.

Harrison - He has matured a bit, but I do think his temperament still sucks.  He looks to have a decent well-rounded game with no obvious technical weaknesses.  I think he has the talent to get to the top 10, but he has plenty of work on sorting out the tactical and mental facets of his game.  Needs to have a good summer on the hardcourts to get his ranking and confidence up.

Dmitrov - The 'baby Federer' tag does not help - neither does the high profile girlfriend.  A few have jumped on the Dmitrov bandwagon this year and I am a fan of his game.  However, his slam record is still pretty poor (lost to Zemlja at Wimbledon - the sort of match you need to win if you're going to reach the top) and he has previously been prone to injury in his still fledgling career.  He has all the shots and has potential to do well on all surfaces but hasn't shown enough in the way of consistency so far.  Probably needs to work a bit on his fitness - still hasn't played too many 4/5 set matches, and that will count against him at business end of a slam.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

What next for Janowicz, Tomic, Raonic, Harrison, Dmitrov? Empty Re: What next for Janowicz, Tomic, Raonic, Harrison, Dmitrov?

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Good article. thumbsup 

I do feel Janowicz could be a contender again at Wimbledon in the future as his game suits the grass. I cannot see it being as well-suited to perhaps RG and the Australian Open. His showing at Wimbledon though will be a massive boost to him so would say he has the best chance to make the big time.

Tomic I am not so sure about. His career is not making any discernible leaps forward. Consistency isn't great and though he shows good variety I am not sure he has the all-round game to succeed.

Raonic is another that flatters to deceive. Sure he has a cracking serve but movement is poor and returning is not at the required standard yet. Out of form as well of late and has gone backwards results-wise this year in my opinion.

Harrison - no I don't see him making any real impact.

Dimitrov has the all-round game and looks to be working on fitness and power side of his game. He has ruffled a few feathers this year and although I feel he missed a big chance to go deep at Wimbledon I do feel he will be a slam contender one day.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

What next for Janowicz, Tomic, Raonic, Harrison, Dmitrov? Empty Re: What next for Janowicz, Tomic, Raonic, Harrison, Dmitrov?

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:22 pm

I change my mind quite often on who I think will be the most likely to break through of this lot, but I think I'm edging towards Tomic.

He of all of them has the combination of good movement and good variety. He is a bit too safe at times, but he's the one who if he improves all areas just a bit can be a real force.

The others have bigger restrictions. Raonic's lateral movement can be exposed, and JJ looks a prospect and considering his size moves well, but is still easily out manoeuvred.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:48 am

What really pisses me off about Tomic is the ease on the eye his movement and shot making is and yet the temperament lets him down so badly!!! Grrrrrrrrrr. He has a wallop of a first serve and FH too. I just wonder how much of an effect his father's influence has on him.

Raonic seems a lot further away from success than he was last year. I feel like he will be more of a fringe player than a success in the Slams.

JJ has impressed me with his movement and shotmaking abilities. I wonder however whether he can keep his emotions in check when it matters. Still he is young and rather new to the top end of the game and with experience could really achieve big things.

Harrison I just don't see it happening for him.

Dimitrov seems to be the player we all pin our hopes on to carry the flare flag once Federer packs it in. Has all the tools and wonder how much Maria could change his mindset for the positive. I would love to see him win Slams in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:04 am

In my eyes, Tomic is a bit like Murray was a few years ago, although not achieving the same level of success - he and Dimitrov are the two who look like natural tennis players (i.e. shotmakers, albeit of different styles) who just need to work out the right tactical approach, fitness and mindset. Not absolutely convinced either will reach the very top, but they have the potential to get well inside the top 10 in the next 2 or 3 years.

Janowicz, with that bomb of a serve and decent solidity otherwise, will always have a 'punchers chance' especially on quicker courts, but he needs to improve both his shots on return and particularly his reading of opponents serve - Andy wasn't serving massively but just hit his spots well and with variation and that was enough to get him too many free points.

Raonic is a bit similar to JJ, but maybe more compromised for movement and touch. Then again, Roddick reached the top of the game and stuck around in the top 10 for the best part of a decade based on an overpowering serve and a big forehand, so there is hope.

Harrison - Has regressed in the last couple of years, so I don't see it really happening for him.

The issue for all of them is that the results haven't come with any sort of consistency. Look at where Murray and Djokovic were at 21/22/23 - winning MS1000 events and challenging for Slams. None of the youngsters now are doing this with any sort of consistency. The disappointing thing is not so much that they haven't managed to overtake Djoko, Andy and Rafa, but that they aren't even mounting a serious challenge to the likes of Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych for the top 8 positions.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:21 am

Two years ago (Oct. 10, 2011) Tomic broke into top 50 for the first time at No 49.  He is No 51 now.  Not my favorite player, but nevertheless, it would have been better if he had made more progress than this.  Where will he be two years from now?  At No 53?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:20 am

@SB... Tomic getting out from under Tomic Sr.'s shadow may make a difference. (hopefully better than Dokic).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:32 pm

how is Djordje Djokovic coming a long? I remember Novak saying he is going to be better than him!

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down