The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television?

+3
Dolphin Ziggler
Good Golly I'm Olly
sportform
7 posters

Go down

Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television?

Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television? Vote_lcap83%Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television? Vote_rcap 83% 
[ 10 ]
Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television? Vote_lcap17%Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 12

Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television? Empty Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television?

Post by sportform Wed 10 Jul - 4:17

NOTE - For the purposes of the poll, free-to-view, refers to any channel not just terrestrial. Therefore Sky could still show the Ashes but would have to on a free-to-view platform.

The Ashes series starts this week and will be shown line on subscription-based Sky Sports but should it be shown free-to-view? There will be a review of listed sporting events sometime this year and the proposal is for the Ashes to return to the free-to-view list.

The current free-to-view list means to be shown on BBC, ITV, Channel 4 or Five though I don't see why that can't be extent to include all channels now that digital television is in every home.

When England won the Ashes in 2005 7.5m people watched the climax. In 2009 when the Ashes were on Sky those figures were less than 2m.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television? Empty Re: Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 10 Jul - 4:22

I don't see no reason why it shouldn't be live on free-to-view TV sportsville. Always loved Channel 4's coverage of England test series
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television? Empty Re: Should the Ashes be on free-to-view television?

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 10 Jul - 4:33

I think the home series should be but not the away series.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 10 Jul - 4:39

Yes, all home test matches should be, not just the Ashes. It could be co-broadcast with Sky and Channel 4, for instance.

Then again, I've never understood why Sky don't make a free-to-air sports channel. That way, they could bid for events such as the Olympics and the World Cup.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 10 Jul - 8:13

yes 100%

its time cricket was accesable to all again.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed 10 Jul - 10:40

Duty281 wrote:Yes, all home test matches should be, not just the Ashes. It could be co-broadcast with Sky and Channel 4, for instance.

Then again, I've never understood why Sky don't make a free-to-air sports channel. That way, they could bid for events such as the Olympics and the World Cup.
I think the current 'crown jewels' list only allows for them to be on terrestrial tv though the next decision on which sports to be included, the Ashes has been put forward, was put back to this year after the digital switchover so it may now include all digital channels.

Sky certainly has the the capability to show sports free as Sky News is on all platforms and Sky now and again has 'free weekends'.

I always think sports bodies underestimated the influence live sport has on participation. You only have to take a look at tennis courts this week and sports clubs up and down the country during and after the Olympics last year.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 10 Jul - 11:23

I voted no, but I totally missed the part saying both could show it, thought it would be one or the other.

Both should be able to show it, but Sky's coverage is far superior so if it had to be one or the other it should be Sky.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 10 Jul - 19:36

I only follow test cricket on TMS (radio). I think the experience is greater than watching it on Sky. At the moment you can also sit out in the sun rather than a depressingly dark room.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 10 Jul - 19:49

I used to listen on the radio religiously. But now I have sky I like to watch.

However if cricket wasnt on terresterial TV when I was a child I may not have been a fan of the game. It was what got me into the sport .

That is my main concern tbh. Kids need to be able to watch this game

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down