The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Episode 5 of V2 Football Podcast - I'm happy to announce we have another guest this week

2 posters

Go down

Episode 5 of V2 Football Podcast - I'm happy to announce we have another guest this week  Empty Episode 5 of V2 Football Podcast - I'm happy to announce we have another guest this week

Post by VDT Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

Planning for 5th Episode is underway, I'm happy to announce we have another guest this week - Former Wolves and Man City midfielder Steve Daley! (Robbed his bio from his website)

History of Steve Daley`s career as a Professional footballer
I joined Wolverhampton Wanderers at 15 years of age from Cudworth West End WMC whilst training with Wath Wanderers who were the Wolves nursery side in Barnsley. I was spotted by Mark Crook who was the Northern Area Scout for Wolves and invited to sign Apprenticeship Forms by Manager- Bill McGarry.

Having signed Professional during the 1970/71 Season I made my debut against Southampton at Molineux scoring the 4th goal in a 4-2 win. Also during this season I was picked to represent England in the youth team against Spain in Pamplona, once again scoring on my debut in the 2-0 victory. This performance prompted selection for the EUFA World Youth Championships in Czechoslovakia being victorious in the final beating Poland 2-1. Another debut was against Hungarian Champions - Ferencvaros in the Semi-Final of the EUFA Cup, I scored the opening goal after 17 seconds in a 2-1 win.

More success followed having a regular first team place with Wolves and gaining 15 England ‘B’ Caps.

In September 1979 I joined Manchester City for a then British record transfer fee of £1,437,500. Having signed a ten year contract and leaving after just two, it soon became obvious it was not the most successful transfer in football! With the barrage of bad press that followed I jumped at the chance to cross the Atlantic and join Seattle Sounders in the NASL.

Playing alongside the likes of Alan Hudson, Bruce Rioch, Kenny Hibbitt, David Nish, Roy Greaves, Peter Ward, Gary Mills and Roger Davies restored my confidence and lifted my game. Being named in the1982 and 83 ‘NASL All Star Team’ which included such greats as Beckenbaur, Neeskens, Gerd Muller, Carlos Alberto, Pele and George Best was a fantastic honour.

A return to Britain was made possible following a conversation with John Bond who was the Manager at Burnley. The football was challenging and the fans were great but at the end of the season the Chairman and Manager convinced me the sunshine and beaches of San Diego were hard to resist!

My final season as a pro was 1985/6 with Alan Buckley at Walsall FC. A season with non-league Lye and Kettering Town followed. I went on to join Rhyl FC, Telford United and finally Bromsgrove Rovers as Manager.

I consider myself highly privileged to have enjoyed so many years doing a job that I loved - even if at times it was badly!

As always we would like your suggests for topics for us to discuss, any ideas you have to improve the show and any questions you for Steve Daley!!!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Episode 5 of V2 Football Podcast - I'm happy to announce we have another guest this week  Empty Re: Episode 5 of V2 Football Podcast - I'm happy to announce we have another guest this week

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:05 pm

Suggestions

Too Many Foreign players being brought into the Premiership? Seen way too many so far this summer IMO

QPR, Wigan and Reading, huge advantage with Parachute Payments, whilst other clubs suffer due to FFP.

My Question for Daley

What would you put Wolves slide down the football league, down to?

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Episode 5 of V2 Football Podcast - I'm happy to announce we have another guest this week  Empty Re: Episode 5 of V2 Football Podcast - I'm happy to announce we have another guest this week

Post by Guest Thu 04 Jul 2013, 9:41 am

You had a fantastic career and obviously had some great moments - but does it rankle with you that so many professional footballers in the modern era can earn millions of pounds without having a tenth of your ability?

How do you think you'd have gotten on if you'd started your career in, say, 2000? Do you think you'd have been able to make it through all the foreign imports and carved out a successful career?

No football pundit is willing to predict this season's Premier League champions, can we get your view on who you think will lift the trophy in May?

What's your go-to story on the after-dinner circuit?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down