The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Klitschko vs Povetkin signed

+22
RanjitPatel
ONETWOFOREVER
bellchees
hampo17
ShahenshahG
TopHat24/7
winchester
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Strongback
jimdig
kingraf
Pedro147
bhb001
mobilemaster8
manos de piedra
seanmichaels
Union Cane
joeyjojo618
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
JabMachineMK2
Boxtthis
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Klitschko vs Povetkin signed Empty Klitschko vs Povetkin signed

Post by Boxtthis Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:22 am

Here's the link to the article

Personally I don't rate Povetkin, but he's highly ranked and it's as decent a fight as can be made in this HW day and age.

Klitschko by late KO - the standard format.

Thoughts?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Klitschko vs Povetkin signed Empty Re: Klitschko vs Povetkin signed

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:24 am

Think Klitschko takes this much earlier than expected, he's long overdue a career defining performance and Povetkin can provide it for him, he's the best heavyweight he could fight right now, and certainly a winnable fight - round 5 KO. Povetkin is pants.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:25 am

Agree with the jabster..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:34 am

Can’t really fault this. The best opponent available for Wlad, irrespective of what Winchester may try and tell you to the contrary. However have not seen anything in Povetkin’s work to suggest he upsets the apple cart in this one. Wlad any time after half way for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:37 am

Agreed with all of the above. I have never seen anything much in Povetkin really. It is the best fight out there though.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

Heavy boxing only gets interesting when the two klits quit...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:40 am

An over-fed Marco Huck had Povetkin in all sorts of bother, so I can't see Wlad having any trouble with him at all.

A good opportunity for the WBA to get rid of their silly "Super" belt, I wonder if they will take it...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

Funny how things change...............I remember the collective moans when Tubbs signed to fight Witherspoon...........When Thomas signed to fight Berbick.......when Holmes signed to fight Mr Snipes.........

At least they weighed roughly the same and were the same height...

Clock forward people think this midget versus Wlad is a good fight....

like I said when these two go...The heavy division becomes interesting again..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:45 am

Union Cane wrote:An over-fed Marco Huck had Povetkin in all sorts of bother, so I can't see Wlad having any trouble with him at all.

A good opportunity for the WBA to get rid of their silly "Super" belt, I wonder if they will take it...

They'll strip Pov for fighting for the super belt instead of fighting the mandatory for the regular WBA strap

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:52 am

I can't say it isn't a good fight, but only from the K's perspective as he's an undefeated champion - its the best out there at the minute. Technically a very boring and poor matchup, Klitschko is several leagues above Povetkin, he'll deck him early.

Like Truss said, the fact that Klitschko is so much better than all the other heavyweights makes the division predictable. Fury, Price, Wilder, Haye, Povetkin, Pulev - everyone would get hammered by Wlad and to a much lesser extent, Vitali. Think Haye and Price have the tools to take out Vitali, but its not exactly a secret that Vitali is a shadow of the guy who gave Lewis all sorts of problems.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 02 Jul 2013, 12:12 pm

For me Haye is still Wlad's biggest challenger, which is saying something considering how their bout went!

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 02 Jul 2013, 2:09 pm

Povetkin is good and has amassed the best record of any of the heavyweight challengers but I think he is too easy to hit against someone of Wlads power and accuracy.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm

6 ft 2..........220....carries a bit in his middle.........Not as quick as Haye.....

I just don't see how he gets inside to do any damage but he does deserve a shot...

Boxing could do with the klits going...Too good........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 3:01 pm

The tiers I've noticed in the heavyweights seem to be

Klitschko's
(massive gulf)
Haye + Povetkin
(Slight gulf)
Wilder, Fury, Price, Banks, Johnson, Thompson
(slight Gulf)
The rest of Klitschko's defenses
(Huge Gulf)
The rest of the heavyweight divison

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 4:31 pm

Mine is:

klitschkos
(massive gulf)
david haye
(huge gulf)
povetkin
(slight gulf)
price, wilder, Thompson, adamek, banks, Mitchell.
(small gulf)
Tyson fury
(big gulf)
heavyweight division.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 5:06 pm

Definitely the most competitive fight at heavyweight there is for Wlad given his brother is off limits and Haye is having a love fest with Fury at present. Wlad all the way at a stroll for me.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 02 Jul 2013, 5:30 pm

The likes of Pulev, Stiverne or even Helenius (who looks rubbish lately) are more proven than Price, Wilder, Mitchell, Fury etc

In terms of levels, Id even have Wlad now seperated from Vitali. At the moment Id have:

Wlad
(gap)
Vitali
(gap)
Haye, Povetkin, Pulev
(small gap)
Solis, Helennius, Adamek, Chagaev, Stiverne
(v small gap)
Everyone else

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 7:45 pm

Actually, manos, i can't disagree with that take. The lower it goes down the more debate on nuances, but fair enough in my opinion

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:58 pm

Freddie Roach has confirmed that he'll be training Povetkin for the fight, not that I think it'll impact the outcome of the fight in anyway as I think Wlad is too good for him.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:01 pm

Roachs fighting tactic is dependent on the fighter having real speed, and a granite chin. Rarely has there been a worse marriage between fighter and trainer

Wlad by demolition R4
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:11 pm

I dont think Roach is too bad a choice at all. He trains fighter well at getting in and out quickly and utilising a high workrate. The former in particular is whats needed to beat Wlad. Povetkins chin isnt bad and he throws alot of leather and can put combinations together well. I dont think Roach is a one trick poney either. He develops solids gameplans. That said, unless Jonathan Banks tries to get Wlad to adopt his tactics that he utilised against Mitchell, Im not sure there is a trainer out there that would make Povetkin a favourite in this.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:28 pm

Will win over povetkin look better than a win over haye on wlads ledger?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:40 pm

jimdig wrote:Will win over povetkin look better than a win over haye on wlads ledger?

I think Haye will go down as a superior win even though Povetkin has a better record at heavyweight. Haye was seen as genuine threat by more people I think. It was also a bigger fight in general I feel even though I dont think the Povetkin fight will be small by any means.

Difficult to tell with Haye as a fighter overall though. Hes been supported largely by his flair for publicity and the assumption hes better than the other challengers but really he hasnt forged any kind of noteworthy record at heavyweight. Povetkin has a more credible average and has beaten better fighters.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:29 pm

jimdig wrote:Will win over povetkin look better than a win over haye on wlads ledger?

Its a bit immaterial I think as the Klitschko's opposition will become a swirl of mediocrity when reviewed by historians in the future. They have just been too good and the opposition so bad.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:10 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Union Cane wrote:An over-fed Marco Huck had Povetkin in all sorts of bother, so I can't see Wlad having any trouble with him at all.

They'll strip Pov for fighting for the super belt instead of fighting the mandatory for the regular WBA strap

Then Fury wins the WBA regular belt and proclaims himself to be the greatest World champion on the planet!!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:19 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Funny how things change...............I remember the collective moans when Tubbs signed to fight Witherspoon...........When Thomas signed to fight Berbick.......when Holmes signed to fight Mr Snipes.........

At least they  weighed roughly the same and were the same height...

Clock forward people think this midget versus Wlad is a good fight....

like I said when these two go...The heavy division becomes interesting again..

Povetkin (6ft 2") - Wladimir (6ft 6")

Hardly a midget, if Povetkin put your fully erect manho0d on top of his head he would be exactly the same height.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Wed 03 Jul 2013, 2:55 pm

Its hard to ever get excited about a Klitschko fight. The only time I looked forward to one was against Haye and that turned out to be awful. I think Fury, Wilder or Price are the only fights out there that would be interesting but they arent trying to make those fights happen.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Jul 2013, 2:57 pm

winchester wrote: I think Fury, Wilder or Price are the only fights out there that would be interesting but they arent trying to make those fights happen.

I would not hold it against the three of them though, they are all pretty young and inexperienced.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:04 pm

Those three would relish a title shot. Its the Klitschko pair that arent interested. If they can manage to fight sparring partners and guys who have lost to Fury such as Chisora then theres no excuse for not making those matches. They just dont take risks.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:15 pm

Fury is chomping at the bit so strongly he pulled out of a fight that would have guaranteed him a title shot. The dictionary definition of relishing it that is.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:18 pm

The Klitschko brothers havent made him any offers. They actualy offered a guy that he beat a title shot so I dont know how you can blame Fury.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:31 pm

They have no obligation to offer him anything. They have the titles, if he wants them he needs to do the chasing. He had a gilt edged golden opportunity to do just that, he chose not to do it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:35 pm

The champion should be facing the best challengers. When they offer Chisora a match when he has lost to Fury and then people say Fury isnt deserving it makes a mockery of their excuses. The last guys they fought were no better than journeyman and sparring partners that they were happy to offer matches to. Their excuses dont wash.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm

It’s getting silly now isn’t it Winchester. These are the facts of Fury’s situation and are pretty much agreed on by everyone.

After he beat Cunningham he was told was he to fight Pulev next the winner of that would be mandatory challenger for Wlad’s IBF world championship title. During the purse bids process for that fight Fury withdrew from the process to pursue a fight with Haye, a fight which carried no such guarantee of a shot at Wlad.

Had he gone through with the fight with Pulev and won, Wlad would have had two choices, fight him or be stripped of his title. Given Wlad had never done this previously through his reign it is reasonable to assume he would have taken the fight, although this is an assumption based on his previous conduct as champion.

Please let me know what if any of the above you feel is inaccurate.

You say they are ducking Fury, Wilder and Price because they are not calling them out. Would you care to mention any heavyweight the brothers have called out? The only two I can really think of is Vitali called Lewis out for a rematch after their first fight and both responded to Haye’s barbs on occasion.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:53 pm

You are offering your own opinion which you are entitled to. You are saying Fury doesnt want to fight them. I am saying the Klitschkos dont want to fight Fury.

But the absolute fact of the matter is that they have been willing to offer opponents who are no better than sparring partners and fighters like Chisora who was beaten by Fury matches without enforcing them to have to fight other opponents first. But when it comes to Fury there has been no offer at all. Its common sense to me that they should be offering fighters like Wilder or Fury matches instead of guys that have lost to them or sparring partners. Furys best chance of getting a match with the Klitschkos is probably to let Haye knock him out inside 1 round.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:58 pm

I am not saying Fury does not want to fight them I am saying he withdrew from purse bids for a fight which had he won he would have been guaranteed a shot. That is a fact. Saying the brothers do not want to fight anyone other than each other is pure conjecture.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:05 pm

winchester wrote:The champion should be facing the best challengers. When they offer Chisora a match when he has lost to Fury and then people say Fury isnt deserving it makes a mockery of their excuses. The last guys they fought were no better than journeyman and sparring partners that they were happy to offer matches to. Their excuses dont wash.

And what mighty opponents was Fury fighting when Del Boy was carrying out his K-bot charade??

He was ducking his mandatory (Price), ditching his belts to go fight 'bigger and better things' in Martin Rogan having just got dropped lack a sack of spuds by a powder-puff punching nobody.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:06 pm

Yes we can only speculate. But when you have a champion like the Klitschkos and they are happy to offer matches to second rate opponents who they either use as sparring partners or have lost to better fighters and they dont offer fights to the guys that beat them then I think that is pretty compelling evidence that they arent keen. Both of the Klitschkos are old now and I think they want to squeeze the last life out of their belts instead of fighting the upcoming crop who I think they feel will beat them. This isnt the mark of a genuine champion and it lets them down.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:11 pm

Winchester, genuine question. Why do you think Fury pulled out of the purse bids for the Pulev fight?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:12 pm

Jeff / TH........Why are you even bothering with this carry on???

Come on lads, rise above this!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:13 pm

You know who they also offer challenges to Bumchester? Always always always agree to fight? Their mandatories.

Now, as salad-t0sser in chief of the Fury clan, can you explain why Fury gave up his shot at mandatory status and GUARANTEED world title shot? Would also have got him a much much bigger pay day than if they just chucked out an offer like they do to the ‘glorified sparring partners’ you mention.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:18 pm

I'll answer that on his/her/its behalf TH

"Fury to good, Klisko boring, fury win. They ducking Praice, Welder and Furry. Fighting no-ones and boms"
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:19 pm

You are right reborn, as someone once put it "when you debate with a fool you run the risk he is doing likewise"

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:24 pm

I prefer:

"Never debate with a fool, you'll only be brought down to his level and then beaten by experience."

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:28 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:I prefer:

"Never debate with a fool, you'll only be brought down to his level and then beaten by experience."

Is that why you never give up Wink 

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 03 Jul 2013, 5:09 pm

Haha!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 5:16 pm

That argument was constructed beautifully Rowley. Not too sure how Bumfluff is still arguing about Fury to be honest. This is about Povetkin and Wlad, and Povetkin is a far better heavyweight than Fury given that he's you know.....won something.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Jul 2013, 5:18 pm

Cheers Jm, I fear it is wasted effort on my part but as someone once said faint heart ne'er won fair maid.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Wed 03 Jul 2013, 6:05 pm

Is it possible to debate like adults on here and leave out the childish insults? I know the Klitschkos are hero worshipped on here and Fury is hated but there is no need for the pettyness simply because not everyone conforms to your opinion. The Klitschkos have had plenty of opportunities to fight Fury and they havent made any offers to him. If they were fighting top quality boxers all the time, maybe I could understand. But their excuses dont wash when they go round offering fights to sparring partners and second rate fighters. The Klitschko pair havent fought anyone remotely good since Haye, and even then it was only after he had struggled with Valuevs size and they felt more confident. The fact is they are willing to offer worse opponents fights but when it comes to more dangerous fighters like Fury or Wilder they dont. They start demanding they fight other guys hoping they will lose of be softened up while they fight inferior opponents. If they were so confident of beating Fury or Wilder they would be offering them the fight as they are much bigger names than the other sparring partners they fight.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 6:12 pm

winchester wrote:Is it possible to debate like adults on here and leave out the childish insults? I know the Klitschkos are hero worshipped on here and Fury is hated but there is no need for the pettyness simply because not everyone conforms to your opinion. The Klitschkos have had plenty of opportunities to fight Fury and they havent made any offers to him. If they were fighting top quality boxers all the time, maybe I could understand. But their excuses dont wash when they go round offering fights to sparring partners and second rate fighters. The Klitschko pair havent fought anyone remotely good since Haye, and even then it was only after he had struggled with Valuevs size and they felt more confident. The fact is they are willing to offer worse opponents fights but when it comes to more dangerous fighters like Fury or Wilder they dont. They start demanding they fight other guys hoping they will lose of be softened up while they fight inferior opponents. If they were so confident of beating Fury or Wilder they would be offering them the fight as they are much bigger names than the other sparring partners they fight.

Not sure Fury is "hated" on here, and people certainly don't worship the K Bros either. Posters on here see them for exactly what they are.

Regarding Wilder, does or should beating Audley Harrison get you a fight with a title holder?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next