The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...

+2
Cyril
sirBiggles
6 posters

Go down

Will this Lions beat the Invicibles 74 record...

Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Vote_lcap50%Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 4 ]
Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Vote_lcap0%Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Vote_lcap0%Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Vote_lcap25%Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 2 ]
Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Vote_lcap25%Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 8

Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Empty Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...

Post by sirBiggles Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:19 pm

... most on this site laughed at that statement...

What's you thoughts now...

Could this touring party top "The Invincibles" and win all its games.

I think they could, providing we dont get to many more injuries.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...  Empty Re: Warbs wanted to win EVERY game...

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:23 pm

What else is he going to say? "We might lose a few, but oh well".

The Lions will win all the warm-up games but will lose the tests (probably 2-1).

Having said that, compared with the warm up games in some previous tours the opposition look like they're going to be a bit meh. Plus there aren't many games these days so it's difficult to compare tours.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:28 pm

Here's the benchmark for earning the "Invincibles" tag
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invincibles_(rugby_union)

Between September 1924 and February 1925, the team played 32 games including four test matches, one each against Ireland, England, Wales, and France. They won all 32 games, scoring 838 points and only having 116 points scored against them.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:32 pm

Agree it is really impossible to compare tours, as they are so different now to years ago. Also agree Warbs was always going to say he wants to win them all and wouldnt expect anything else.

However, the Invincibles of 74 went down in history for they're tour result (amongst 99 other things Very Happy ). A tour that didnt lose a single game and only the final drawn test giving a D and not a W on the sheet.

What I was leading too, is if this 2013 Lions can go one better and not only not lose a game on tour, but win every game. Surely this tour will also go down in Lions history. Not sure what they'd be called...

My poll, is more around, how many think this could be a possibility now we have seen the first 3 games.

I personally think they'll remain winners of all the provincial games, but if they can keep key players injury free, I think they could go on to win the series 3-0.

This touring party is looking very strong, and what is also very impressive, is they seem to have gelled as Lions, not Welsh, English, Irish and Scots but as LIONS... which is great...

(just wish we fans could gell the same... Hug )

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:36 pm

I think they'll win all the tour matches. Still not so sure about the tests - I think 2-1 or 1-2 are the most likely results, and which way it goes will probably ceom down to who's worst hit by injuries
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:38 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Here's the benchmark for earning the "Invincibles" tag

Between September 1924 and February 1925, the team played 32 games including four test matches, one each against Ireland, England, Wales, and France. They won all 32 games, scoring 838 points and only having 116 points scored against them.

I was discussing a Lions tour not an All Black... although that is a pretty impressive record. clap

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:45 pm

He said that last year for Wales for the November tests. Ambition is one thing but realizing that is another. The Australians I just don't see conceding a clean sweep. Psychologically they're very adept at overcoming adversity.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 10 Jun 2013, 2:47 pm

sirBiggles wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Here's the benchmark for earning the "Invincibles" tag

I was discussing a Lions tour not an All Black... although that is a pretty impressive record. clap

I misread the OP the 1st time around Wink - while I was vaguely aware of the '74 Lions team's record (I wasn't born then, & NZ wasn't involved Whistle ), growing up the term "Invincible" only ever described one tour team.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 10 Jun 2013, 3:44 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:

I misread the OP the 1st time around Wink - while I was vaguely aware of the '74 Lions team's record (I wasn't born then, & NZ wasn't involved Whistle ), growing up the term "Invincible" only ever described one tour team.

England 02 - 03? Wink

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 10 Jun 2013, 3:45 pm

Comfort wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:

England 02 - 03? Wink

I was grown up by then Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 10 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

touche mo1

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Jun 2013, 4:00 pm

I think the Lions will lose against the Brumbies. It will be the 'dirt trackers' side playing as it's a few days before the 1st test. The Brumbies will apparently be at near full strength, and look good in the S15.

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Mon 10 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm

I'm gonna say it again............never ever take a win against Australia for granted at anything

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down