The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A game of two halves. A game of two positions

+4
wales606
Submachine
Biltong
kiakahaaotearoa
8 posters

Go down

A game of two halves. A game of two positions Empty A game of two halves. A game of two positions

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:20 pm

On another thread someone raised the point that 6 could well be the most contested position in world rugby.

So here´s the challenge. Name a team with your pack containing players who play in the same position and the backs must contain players who have all played the same position.

So here´s my team:

1) Dusatoir 2) Ferris 3) Kaino
4) Ryan Jones 5) Croft
6) Lydiate 7) Smith 8) Denton

9) Conrad Smith 10) SBW
12) Rougerie 13) BOD
11) Nonu 14) De Jongh 15) AAC

Reserves: Higganbotham, O'Brien, Brown, Roussow
Fourie, Tuilagi, Roberts

They´d get hammered in the scrum and would never kick for territory but I´d pay money to see that team play. They´d be entertaining to say the least and there´d be plenty of huge hits from both the backs and forwards.

Which positions would you pick. I reckon you could make a mean pack of props and compensate the lack of pace with a team of wingers.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

A game of two halves. A game of two positions Empty Re: A game of two halves. A game of two positions

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:53 pm

I am using looseforawrds as they are mostly inter changeable.

1. Schalk Burger
2. Richie McCaw
3. Willem Alberts
4. Read
5. Danie rossouw
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Juan Smith
8. Denton

9. Parra
10. Carter
11. Frans Steyn
12. Cooper
13. Slade
14. O'Connor
15. Morne Steyn
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

A game of two halves. A game of two positions Empty Re: A game of two halves. A game of two positions

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:54 pm

How could I leave out Burger? Doh

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:57 pm

Yeah, my team will scrum the poop out of yours and although you have some playmakers there in your backline, we will control the game with Carter, drive you back with bombs from the two steyn's and cooper and O'connor will do the two step.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 9:00 pm

We will let you take the bombs you put up. We just want to smash you over when you get them. We won´t kick the ball. We´ll just kick the living s**t out of your team. Team orders to focus on Cooper!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 9:02 pm

Cool, while Cooper is ducking an diving the rest of them will focus on beating you on the scoreboard. Not unlike you did to us when Lomu was playing Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Wed 29 Feb 2012, 10:58 pm

1. Servat
2. Sarzewski
3. Smith
4. Stephens
5. Hartley
6. ford
7. Britts
8. Cronin
9. O'Connor
10. Carter
11. Cipriani
12. Sexton
13. Hook
14. Madigan
15. Nacewa

Thats a pretty balanced team I recon. Hard to pick two hookers for second row so went for those I think are tallest. Plenty of pace in that back row.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:08 pm

1. Steenkamp
2. John Smit
3 Adam Jones
4. Woodcock
5. Mtawarira
6. Cian Healy
7. Gethin Jenkins
8. Tonga'uiha

9. Parra
10. Dan Carter
11. JOC
12. James Hook
13. F.Steyn
14. Isa Nacewa
15. Johnny Wilkinson

16. John Afoa
17. Robinson
18. Castro
19. Poux
20. Skrela
21. Sexton
22. Henson

Forwards would outscrummage anyone - and Gethin Jenkins is the 2nd best openside in Wales Wink

The backs may all be 10s, but they are hardly weak defensively, especially with Steyn at 13 an Wilkinson at FB.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:41 pm

Submachine wrote:1. Servat
2. Sarzewski
3. Smith
4. Stephens
5. Hartley
6. ford
7. Britts
8. Cronin
9. O'Connor
10. Carter
11. Cipriani
12. Sexton
13. Hook
14. Madigan
15. Nacewa

Thats a pretty balanced team I recon. Hard to pick two hookers for second row so went for those I think are tallest. Plenty of pace in that back row.

I'd switch Carter and O'Connor, Carter used to be a 9 and I don't see JOC playing there, and he is about the only person in that side that COULD cover 10 almost as well as Carter
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:51 pm

I'll do 2nd rows and fullbacks:
Don't know any locks that used to prop...

1- Jim Hamilton
2- Bakkies Botha
3- Simon Shaw
4- Bekker
5- Whitelock
6- Ryan Jones (if I can do that, if not, Roussow)
7- Gray
8- Levi

9- Foden (I know he hasn't played there for ages but he has experience there)
10- JOC
11- Medard
12- Francois Steyn
13- AAC
14- Halfpenny
15- Israel Dagg

16- Charteris
17- Pape
18- POC
19- Albacete
20- Kearney
21- Beale
22- Delon Armitage (handy bench player)

Joint coached by Connor O'Shea and Victor Matfield
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

You´d have to find room for Beale in your team. Jane could go to the bench as well. Ryan Jones is fine as long as he´s played in that position which he has.

I think locks and fullbacks are a good combo. It´s interesting wales606 you went for props and flyhalves. I don´t think anyone wants to contemplate a backrow of halfbacks. The noise and backchat would be unbearable. But you could have a decent team with those two combinations.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:04 pm

wales 506, replace Smit who is well passed it with the guy that replaced him Bismarck du Plessis and you have it. And I'd go for Conrad at 13 but that just me.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:04 pm

This game is made a bit easier by the Australian preference to play pretty much every player after 9 as a utility back!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:05 pm

Yeah, I can just imagine a backline of.

9. Kevin Putt
10. Parra
11. Joost
12. Gregan
13. Genia
14. Dawson
15. Marshall.

The ground will be a buzz Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

Surely Healey would be on the wing instead of Dawson?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:07 pm

Yeah, I was just quickly thinking of those who gurgled the most, not really the best for each position. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:08 pm

Healey wasn't exactly quiet either. Hasn't shut up now he's retired
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:12 pm

I doubt if any half back stops talking after he retires, just think about Marshall, he talks all the time as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:15 pm

biltongbek wrote:I doubt if any half back stops talking after he retires, just think about Marshall, he talks all the time as well.

Do you reckon he literally talks all the time, and just waits to come into contact with a camera and then whatever randomly selected opinion he's spouting at that moment gets broadcast? I can see that
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:18 pm

Nah, I am pretty sure he has verbal diarhea.

It must have something to do with small man syndrome, they want to be acknowledged and noticed all the time.

Imagine being the smallest guy during your professional rugby career amongst these 6ft 6" neanderthals. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

debaters1 wrote:wales 506, replace Smit who is well passed it with the guy that replaced him Bismarck du Plessis and you have it. And I'd go for Conrad at 13 but that just me.

Bismarck has never player prop though has he? Smit played 3 internationally, so all the forwards are props.

And Conrad Smith has never played 10 internationally.

I think you might need to re-read the initial post.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:30 pm

biltongbek wrote:Yeah, I can just imagine a backline of.

9. Kevin Putt
10. Parra
11. Joost
12. Gregan
13. Genia
14. Dawson
15. Marshall.

The ground will be a buzz Shocked

Mike Phillips played centre for the Lions at one point - He would certainly make a stronger defensive midfield...and a taller one than Genia.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:36 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:On another thread someone raised the point that 6 could well be the most contested position in world rugby.

So here´s the challenge. Name a team with your pack containing players who play in the same position and the backs must contain players who have all played the same position.

So here´s my team:

1) Dusatoir 2) Ferris 3) Kaino
4) Ryan Jones 5) Croft
6) Lydiate 7) Smith 8) Denton

9) Conrad Smith 10) SBW
12) Rougerie 13) BOD
11) Nonu 14) De Jongh 15) AAC

Reserves: Higganbotham, O'Brien, Brown, Roussow
Fourie, Tuilagi, Roberts

They´d get hammered in the scrum and would never kick for territory but I´d pay money to see that team play. They´d be entertaining to say the least and there´d be plenty of huge hits from both the backs and forwards.

Which positions would you pick. I reckon you could make a mean pack of props and compensate the lack of pace with a team of wingers.

Sorry to bring the torch of truth to the hypothetical void here, but you'd fall foul of 3.5(a), (b), (c) and (d) and the IRB officials would be empowered to cancel the game, or change the result at its conclusion as they see fit. So as much as you might win on the day (or not) the result would not stand.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

wales606 wrote:
debaters1 wrote:wales 506, replace Smit who is well passed it with the guy that replaced him Bismarck du Plessis and you have it. And I'd go for Conrad at 13 but that just me.

Bismarck has never player prop though has he? Smit played 3 internationally, so all the forwards are props.

And Conrad Smith has never played 10 internationally.

I think you might need to re-read the initial post.

Wales, I did read the origial post, but only scanned your team, the two names that jumped happened to be in their favoured positions and therefore I thought you were using hookers & 13's, hence my picking you up on those two choices. My bad.

For what its worth....

2nd Rows & Full Backs.

1. M Johnson
2. Willie John McBride
3. Fabian Pelous
4. Brad Thorn
5. POC
6. Richie Gray
7. Doddie Weir
8. Simon Shaw

9. Gavin Hastings
10. Christian Cullen
11. Percy Montgomery
12. Damian Traille (has played FB for France)
13. JPR Williams
14. Isa Necewa
15. Serge Blanco

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:22 pm

1. Ben Morgan
2. Keiran Read
3. Jamie Heaslip
4. Pierre Spies
5. Radike Samo
6. Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe
7. Toby Faletau
8. Sergio Parisse

9. Francois Hougaard
10. James O'Conner
11. George North
12. Matt Banahan
13. Tommy Bowe
14. Cory Jane
15. Isa Nacewa

8's and wings..

Could have cheated and put roberts in at 12, but the backs have all played a lot of rugby at wing.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:56 pm

That´s a handy team CurlyOsp. I reckon the Barbarians should look more like these teams posted and that would bring some life back into the games. At least some worthy highlights.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down