The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rivalry That Should Be Perfect

+12
Haddie-nuff
hawkeye
yloponom68
User 774433
CAS
_homogenised_
Henman Bill
bogbrush
HM Murdock
kingraf
socal1976
invisiblecoolers
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Rivalry That Should Be Perfect - Page 2 Empty The Rivalry That Should Be Perfect

Post by Guest Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Today's titanic semi-final was one of high quality. In a time when the tennis fan has grown restless of tiresome and long rallies, passive rallies, some speed courts, lack of innovation in shot making, talent being blunted. This was a great advert for the tennis that has slowly eaten away at the tennis fan. It was so good even Mother LK phoned to ask if I had seen the match and how much she enjoyed it! Her parting comment was "Shame it wasn't the final" I think it was a match of high quality and both players deserve enormous credit and without a doubt their legacy has gone up a notch.

It is scary to think this was the 35th encounter between the two. They have met each other at all 4 Slams in the finals. They have met at every Masters event bar Shanghai. It is staggering. They have met in 16 finals. 8-8 in finals. Amazing.

You feel now that really this rivalry has generated a new appreciation. You ask yourself why does this rivalry have low appreciation? Why is it met with slight contempt? Over the ages yes we have had rivalries that just so different in contrast. Borg/Connors, Lendl/McEnroe, Becker/Edberg, Sampras/Agassi, Federer/Nadal. They were all so different in their own unique way. Now we have Djokovic/Nadal and too many they are so alike in play. The Australian Open 2012 I think cast this rivalry into the scrap heap. No-one enjoys a 5 hour marathon designed for the last man standing being the victor. Whilst in the early beginnings Djokovic was playing catch up, he has now eclipsed Nadal as a player. Everything became equal.

When you talk Federer/Nadal the results seem to be based on who found their peak when. With nearly 5 years between Nadal and Federer in age will always play on the peak side of things. Borg was 4 years Connors junior. There was a year between Lendl and McEnroe. 2 years between Edberg and Becker and 1 year between Sampras and Agassi. 1 year separates Nadal and Djokovic.

For me Nadal and Djokovic has everything that makes a perfect rivalry. 2013 was Djokovic Mark III and 2013 has seen Nadal Mark II. If the AO 2012 final was death nail in the rivalry coffin, today has been a re-awakening. The nail was been well and truly removed. Seeing Nadal having to play aggressive and Djokovic when everything against him pulls out the lights out tennis that has seen him slay Federer in New York. There were passages of brilliant aggressive tennis.

I think this rivalry is perfect.

Back to top Go down

The Rivalry That Should Be Perfect - Page 2 Empty Re: The Rivalry That Should Be Perfect

Post by HM Murdock Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Rafa doesn't get all the luck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUr8Kl7yqZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fq8EuOlkIQ

(incidentally, the facial expression of Rafa at 1:58 might be the best expression ever!)

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

The Rivalry That Should Be Perfect - Page 2 Empty Re: The Rivalry That Should Be Perfect

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:46 pm

I agree with the expression HM pure classic.. His Mum all to have that framed its like no other Ive seen on Rafa Laugh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Not really Haddie.

Rafa got two warnings, the rule is the second is a point.

Novak got one, which is just a warning.

There's no luck there (at least, not if we ignore that Rafa carried on violating the rule but dint have any more point deductions).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:53 pm

I was actually trying unsuccessfully to make some realise that Rafa doesn´t win matches because he is "lucky" BB otherwise he must be the most fortunate man that walked the face of this earth. Im not bothered that Rafa got his "comeuppence" because of time violation but as Ive said in the past as long as the penalties are across the board. Rafa´s reputation goes before him and sometimes I think unfairly.. there are others.. the last time I watched Gulbis play he was pushing his luck.. but hey.. Rafa isn´t complaining neither am I

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:22 pm

The most remarkable thing, is that Chydremion highlited three points over a career of 750+ matches, to show that Nadal has ridiculous luck... No mention of the rains coming down when he was two sets and a break up vs Djokovic? No mention of the exact same happening vs Federer in 2008? No mention of the roof being closed when he won the fourth set vs Rosol (thus a fourty minute delay that helped Rosol catch his breath, and gather his thoughts)?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:28 pm

bogbrush wrote:Not really Haddie.

Rafa got two warnings, the rule is the second is a point.

Novak got one, which is just a warning.

There's no luck there (at least, not if we ignore that Rafa carried on violating the rule but dint have any more point deductions).

He should have lost around 5 points yesterday... at least. They are still not enforcing the rule. If that had been a lower ranked player, he would have had the book thrown at him. The only way you can enforce the time rule is to have a clock and make it all automated. Take the umpire out of the loop.

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Why all this Nadal bashing and crying over his luck? Was there an MTO?

Nadal won, period.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:43 pm

laverfan wrote:Why all this Nadal bashing and crying over his luck? Was there an MTO?

Nadal won, period.

What's more he beat the world No.1 and stands on the verge of an 8th French Open title. Shocked

That alone deserves massive respect.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Q. Last year when you lost this final, it was tough the months after Wimbledon and the Olympics to get back the motivation and desire and focus. Do you think this loss, which is also very tough this time, you're going to be managed better after?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It's not the first, it's not the last loss, you know, in my career ‑ and against this particular player. Of course now I finish the match half an hour ago, so what can I really tell you? It's not like, Okay, it's great. Enjoyed it. I lost the match after five hours. I wanted this title so much, so I am disappointed. That's it. You know, that's the way I feel. I don't think it's gonna take the toll, you know, on me in the future because I have been in these particular situations before. So hopefully I can use this next period that is coming up to recover, you know, and mentally get motivated, you know, and get inspired again to play my best tennis in Wimbledon.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2013-06-08/201306081370693193898.html

Djokovic played well, but the player on the other side was better on the day. He will bounce back. Looking forward to rest of his career.

Come on Daveed!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:51 pm

I don't think Djokovic is going to lose momentum or form for that matter. The one thing you can about him is that he doesn't dwell on defeats like he did in the past. The one thing he will take from this is that he will win a FO, I have no doubt. I just think he got too involved emotionally and threw in a bad service game.

Nadal for me was showing some real grit. He was giving himself so many Vamos's and come on's. Nadal was really pumped and that match was a real gut check.

I think Djokovic will bounce back. He lost to Haas in Miami and then went and beat Nadal at Monte Carlo. He has more fortitude than many are giving him credit for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2