The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roger and Rafa Rivalry

+2
lydian
Haddie-nuff
6 posters

Go down

Roger and Rafa Rivalry Empty Roger and Rafa Rivalry

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Before we get any more involved in who is the Best, the Greatest .. who believes that Roger and Rafa are to ever be remembered as the greatest rivals that the world of tennis will remember. I ask you to look at this video and to remember that they really are the best of friends.

True it is staged but Im still of the belief that they do actually like each other.
Though Im sure Roger loved the chance to show off his car Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmRpDvYRHzQ

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Roger and Rafa Rivalry Empty Re: Roger and Rafa Rivalry

Post by lydian Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Yes I'm convinced there is genuine friendship there.
This video can surely be irrefutable on that front: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJV-mF6chSg

I personally believe that Rafa is the only player that Federer maybe genuinely believes is on his kind of level. The respect is there, but dont think it is quite the same for Novak or Andy.

In terms of true rivalries...I dont know if it was the best, Sampras/Agassi was also good, as was Lendl/Mac (Borg/Mac is somewhat overhyped given they "only" played 14 times). But its certainly up there and has arguably produced the best match of all...Wimb08.

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:02 pm

I don't think it's actually 'staged', or at least not in any significant way. If you think about it, the logistics of Rafa arriving by private jet, Federer offering to pick him up at the airport in his home country and then show him a little of Zurich could quite feasibly have happened even if the media hadn't been made aware in advance. But because they are who they are there will inevitably be a battery of cameras around.

The Swiss tend to be reserved and not especially attracted by the cult of the celebrity ; but in the video clip many of those who just chance upon the two of them in the street look as if they can scarcely believe their eyes/luck

Personally I've never doubted that they get along very well. I reckon they'll keep in touch as friends long after they've both finished on the main tour.

Re the car : what's most frustrating for us mere mortals is that it was very probably donated to him by Mercedes Benz.... he does a lot of advertising and promo work for them. Rafa no doubt has something pretty special himself too.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm

yes an Aston Martin V12 DBS

Drool

http://www.topgear.com/au/assets/cms/06386ac6-46cd-4210-90b8-e3d73310cce4/670x377Image.jpg?p=120801_01:50
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 pm

I actually was only joking about the car.. Im sure that either or both of my sons would have given their back teeth to show off a car ike that. And although my youngest does have a Mercedes..(albeit not in that league) he takes every opportunity to show it off.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:48 pm

It doesnt matter how many times I watch that video of them making that "advert" it never ceases to make me laugh. They do look so relaxed with each other

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:I actually was only joking about the car.. Im sure that either or both of my sons would have given their back teeth to show off a car ike that. And although my youngest does have a Mercedes..(albeit not in that league) he takes every opportunity to show it off.

Well if you want to be a generous Dad and help him upgrade his current Merc to one like Fed's you only need to find around 207,000 euros (or £168K sterling)
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/sls_amg/_c197.flash.html#_int_passengercars:home:model-navi:_c197

Mind you since the twins arrived there will of course be a second (at least ...!) Mercedes in the Federer household, one more suited to family transport......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:24 pm

I would disagree that Federer only really feels that Rafa is on his level. It is worth bearing in mind that Djokovic played Federer in US open final 2007. A very young and inexperienced Djokovic gave Federer in his prime a real scare in that match. Though the scorline was straight sets 7-6 7-6 6-4, this does not tell the whole story. Djokovic had set points in both the 1st and 2nd sets. You could tell that day that Federer knew this guy was the real deal and it was just inexperience (Djoko must have been 18 or 19 at the time?) that cost novak.

In their head to head 16 - 13 Federer, this clearly tells us that Novak is right up there with him. Not only that but Djokovic has beaten him 5 times in the latter stages at grand slams, no mean feat over 5 sets.

On the other side you have murray with a very good record against Federer, however in all 3 grand slam finals, Federer prevailed.

Nadal has definitely been Federer's kryptonite over the years, that forehand to backhand is no contest, just a bad match up but very entertaining. I find the Federer vs Djokovic rivalry just as exciting though

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Some fair points slasher but wrt lydian's on the same level comment, perhaps (?) he was alluding more to Federer's perception of Rafa's overall achievements in the game, in comparison to those of Novak and Murray.

Yes there is no doubt that Federer would have been well aware of Novak's potential in the wake of that 2007 USO match but it's also worth remembering that at that stage Fed was the same age as Novak is now but had already accumulated 12 Slam titles. And even in the years since that match in which Novak effectively announced himself, Federer has still gone on to win more Slams than the hugely talented Serb.

I suspect Federer will wait to see what more Novak can achieve in the coming years before forming a definitive assessment of his place in the game ; whereas in the case of Rafa he has - for some time - recognised him as one of the sport's greats.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Hard to disagree with you lags72. The years ahead will tell us a lot about Novak's legacy in the game. Federer and Nadal's place among the greats are cemented.

That said i think novak's accomplishments to date already have him in the top 20 or possibly top 15 mens players of all time. 5 Slams, 13 Masters series, Davis Cup, 2 world tour finals, olympic medal, numerous slam wins against two of the greats as well as 34 ATP titles, not to mention that 42 match winning streak in 2011.

I would have thought with another couple of slams, he would be right up there in the top 10, particularly since he has competed so well on all surfaces even reaching the French open final and nearly taking the greatest clay courter of all time to 5 sets.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:42 pm

The point I was making and I think it shows very plainly in the two video clips I and Lydian have shown that, their tennis rivalry, aside there is I believe a genuine fondness as well as respect of the other. Roger always has appeared to be "the tennis player and competitor" to all the other players on tour.. but with Rafa he gives and shows that bit more. I do believe (though dont quote me) that Roger was in telephone contact with Rafa whilst he has been off with injury. I think I read that somewhere

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm with you there slasher OK

Djokovic at the age of 26 now has a crucial 2/3 years ahead of him which will most likely determine his ultimate legacy in the game. History shows just dramatically the Slams and other big titles start drying up after 29 or so. And unless one or more of the lower-ranked 'promising' youngsters can somehow make a serious breakthrough pretty soon, then his only serious rivals (obstacles ...?) would seem to be Nadal and Murray. Federer's work is pretty much complete and may not be around much longer, and I don't see any of the other established members of the current top ten being able to trouble Djokovic consistently. Except Del Potro perhaps .... chin

I'm a bit off-topic sorry H-n.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Yes lags give yourself a slap on the wrist warning

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:I do believe (though dont quote me) that Roger was in telephone contact with Rafa whilst he has been off with injury. I think I read that somewhere

Sorry H-n, had to quote you after that Wink seriously though, any idea where you saw this? I read that Federer was going to write to him, sometime around the time of the USO, but never saw anything after that. I do think there's a lot of respect between the pair of them, you can see that during their matches. God knows how they keep a straight face on court though, having seen that Promo video. Hilarious!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Like you lags I read it but I cant remember where... I wouldn´t doubt that he did because I know that Rafa sent his congratulations when the twins were born.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Screech was 20 yrs old in the USO 2007 final

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:03 pm

emancipator wrote:Screech was 20 yrs old in the USO 2007 final

Your way of killing a thread eh em ??? Doh Sad

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:19 am

Great thread HN thumbsup

Roger-Rafa may be rivals on court but certainly respect each other not just for their achievements but for the persons they are. In Fed-Sampras vs Agassi-Nadal exhibition we saw how the old dogs fighting and showing attitude and bullying each other, luckily it didn't turn up as an ugly event, thats never the case with these two gentlemen, more or less the same with Djoko and Murray.

When it comes to Lyd definition of Fed seeing only Nadal as his level, i agree with it, coz Fed on most day could turn up on hardcourt and school Novak, barring WTF Fed has always struggled against Nadal even on his preferred courts.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:43 am

Thanx ic.. glad there are some amongst us that think so Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:24 pm

The future champion's tour will be boring a bit coz we have too many gentlemen.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down