The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gibraltar will be allowed to enter qualifying for the 2016 European Championship

2 posters

Go down

Gibraltar will be allowed to enter qualifying for the 2016 European Championship Empty Gibraltar will be allowed to enter qualifying for the 2016 European Championship

Post by VDT Fri 24 May 2013, 2:26 pm

Gibraltar has been accepted as a full member membership of Uefa, European football's governing body.

Their application was approved on a majority vote at the organisation's congress in London, with no votes against and no abstentions.

The British Overseas Territory off the south coast of Spain has a population of just under 30,000.

Gibraltar will be allowed to enter qualifying for the 2016 European Championship.

Uefa president Michel Platini has confirmed that Gibraltar and Spain will be kept apart in qualifying groups.

"Gibraltar will not play qualifying matches with Spain - we also have this situation with Armenia and Azerbaijan," Platini said.

The territory tried to join Uefa in 2007 but their bid was controversially rejected.

Spain was opposed to Gibraltar becoming one of Uefa's associations and threatened to boycott any competition the colony competed in.

Only three of Uefa's 52 associations voted in favour of Gibraltar - the English, Welsh and Scottish Football Associations.

Previously, Gibraltar had been told they could not join Uefa as they were not a country recognised by the United Nations.

They were accepted as a provisional member of Uefa in October 2012 and that membership has now been ratified.

Gibraltar now becomes the smallest member in terms of population, behind San Marino (just over 32,000), Liechtenstein (approximately 37,000) and the Faroe Islands (just under 50,000).

Is this Yet another ludicrous decision by UEFA? Does this this adds to the case for smaller nations to have their own separate qualifying tournament? or like me, do you think the every nation no matter isn't should be given the chance to qualify for major international tournaments?
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Gibraltar will be allowed to enter qualifying for the 2016 European Championship Empty Re: Gibraltar will be allowed to enter qualifying for the 2016 European Championship

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 24 May 2013, 2:46 pm

I've played at there national stadium #randomOllyfacts
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down