The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour: Qualifying School Final

+15
twoeightnine
goldwolf
Doon the Water
JAS
1GrumpyGolfer
liegerwoods
Mary
puligny
super_realist
NedB-H
JDandfries
kwinigolfer
Faldono1fan
Hibbz
JPX
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

European Tour: Qualifying School Final Empty European Tour: Qualifying School Final

Post by JPX Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:24 pm

I won't attempt to write anything as interesting as Kwini or Mav's weekly articles, but just thought I'd start a thread on the Q school final, which gets underway in Spain tomorrow.

Some interesting participants:

Benn Barham
Matt Nixon
Darren Fichardt (who I spoke to about 3 or so years ago and said he wanted to be on PGA Tour the following year, just goes to show how wrong it can go)
Callum Macaulay
Robert Dinwiddie
Alastair Forsyth
Sam Hutsby
John Morgan
Seve Benson
Phil Archer
Saltmans
Paul Broadhurst
Andy Sullivan

WHo are you hoping will make it through?

JPX

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Qualifying School Final Empty Re: European Tour: Qualifying School Final

Post by Hibbz Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:36 pm

I'll be cheering on Dan Gaunt as I used to deliver his mail and because he gave his current postie two tickets to the PGA at Wentworth which were then passed on to me.

I'd also like to see Doherty get through though I'm not hopeful obviously. I've always liked him because he smiles alot.

Here is a link to the section on the ET website as much for me as anyone else as it took me a while to navigate through. Hope you don't think I'm hijacking your thread JPX.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/qualifying/season=2011/tournamentid=2011995/index.html

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

European Tour: Qualifying School Final Empty Re: European Tour: Qualifying School Final

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:39 pm

Chris Lloyd who was at my old club as a youngster. Finished 28th in his first year on the challenge tour which was steady enough. Only 19 or 20 and hopefully has a great future. Once played against him and his dad in the winter foursomes and me and my partner beat them at the last.He was only 8 at the time, but had a short game to die for.

Would also like to see John E Morgan get through. He once lost in a play off for a PGA tour event to Mark Hensby of Australia at the John Deere Classic. Another local lad (Bristolian) so would like to see him return to form. He has had a tough few years.Still only 33 so hopefully not too late for him.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:42 pm

'course not Hibbz thumbsup

In fact I just got the entry list from that link

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/qualifying/season=2011/tournamentid=2011995/teetimes/index.html

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:44 pm

Faldo,
Is John Morgan fit again? Didn't he have some ADD issues or something like that.
Seemed determined to come across as a maverick on the PGA Tour - hope any mellowing doesn't diminish his obvious ability.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:54 pm

Kwini,

John suffers from epilepsy. I think he controls this problem with drugs and has been relatively fit over the last couple of years. I think he did consider an operation on his brain at some point. He is also dyslexic so has faced many challenges. He may well have mellowed since becoming a father a few years ago!

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 09 Dec 2011, 3:56 pm

Forgot see say that he has been suffering with a knee injury on top of all that!!

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:04 pm

Rob Dinwiddie, is a junior county colleague of mine, an awesome player, hope he get through

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:13 pm

I see Ollie Wilson isn't bothering to turn up. Presumably he has some career money exemption or other that he's planning to use, but seems poor on his part not to be there. Means Dougherty is the biggest name I guess.

I'm in the Morgan fan club too, and there's a good few other guys who I'll follow with interest.

-pd's mate Siddikur, Bangladesh's greatest golfer, is having a crack at the ET, would be good to see more of him in Europe.
-Team Holland have a good turnout, I'm hoping some of their young players will be inspired by Luiten's recent win and make the next step up. Besseling, Remkes, De Vries, Saxton and Sluiter makes for an impressive group, and Lafeber is present to give a bit of experience.
-Hopefully some of the Kent players will have good weeks, Barham, McGuirk and Gibb all in attendance, first time I think for the latter two.
-And I'll be following some of the younger players who I reckon might be the next big things: Grillo of Argentina, Denmark's JB Hansen, Lagergren of Sweden, Otaegui of Spain and the two Americans, Pinckney and Reed.

And finally, good luck to Chris Devlin, McDowell's old college teammate, 36 years old, an American mini-tour veteran and open heart surgery survivor. Would be great to see him make it at last.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:27 pm

I'm hoping that Elliot Saltman and Callum McCauley don't.

Fatties.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:29 pm

Thanks Faldo, Good luck to him. thumbsup

JD,
What is it with Dinwiddie, We were chatting on here a while ago that he seems enigmatic, to say the least. Obviously got the talent to go real low.

Ned,
A bit presumptuous from Wilson, wouldn't you think? Surprised he doesn't try to advance his status at the very least.
Didn't catch up with last week's results but I assume our old mate zanescotty missed the boat?
Wouldn't it be great to see a young American, more likely to be Reed than Pinchney I'd think, to succeed big time in Europe? Sure any success would be hugely embraced by the E.T.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:34 pm

I think Oliver Wilson has had some fitness issues and is going for some treatment and tests in the US. It says on his blog that he is going to use his existing status next year which will not get him as many starts as he is used to. It goes on to say that this poor season has been down to ill health, poor schedule and poor decisions. Perhaps a curtailed schedule might help him?

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:37 pm

Doesn't OW still have a place over here? Surprised he hasn't tried PGA Tour Q-School.
To think that a couple of years ago he was on the threshold of special Temporary Membership on the PGA Tour.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:40 pm

Not sure Kwini. It did say on his blog that he was looking forward to spending more time at home with the family which implies he may have lost a little of his mojo? He is a talented player so hopefully he can overcome these current difficulties soon.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 09 Dec 2011, 4:49 pm

Re Oliver Wilson. Would he not still be exempt under his 08 Ryder CUp team membership or would that have run out?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 09 Dec 2011, 5:22 pm

He was category 8 in 2011 on the back of finishing in the top 117 r2d in 2010. He is 53rd on the career money list. Can't see that he would be exempt for his 2008 ryder cup appearance. He hasn't won a tournament so not really sure where he would sit at the moment. Says on his blog he is using the same status next year.Not sure how that works.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:29 pm

I am surprised Dougherty is at QS - thought he was exempt still from his last win. Doesn't time fly!!

Kwini - I was lucky to play in a group behind Robert Dinwiddie a few weeks ago at Worplesdon. He was playing with what appeared to be a few mates, and without stalking him we were able to see much of how he played. Very impressive striking and seemed to be getting round very comfortably. Streets ahead of the (very good) club pro I was playing with. I guess the margins are that level are so slight it is easy to slip up.

Hoping Sam Hutsby from Hampshire does well. Quality player - but the margins etc etc!!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Fri 09 Dec 2011, 6:38 pm

Will be looking out for John E Morgan - Bristol boy, so local to me. Also Robert Diknwiddie and Dan Gaunt.

Hope that Nick Dougherty does well. He always comes across as a really nice guy, and it must be quite humiliating going back to Q school at this stage in his career after all the Little Nick stuff that was bandied around when he first came on the scene.
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Fri 09 Dec 2011, 7:16 pm

Mary wrote:Will be looking out for John E Morgan - Bristol boy, so local to me. Also Robert Diknwiddie and Dan Gaunt.

Hope that Nick Dougherty does well. He always comes across as a really nice guy, and it must be quite humiliating going back to Q school at this stage in his career after all the Little Nick stuff that was bandied around when he first came on the scene.

i remember john e morgan doing the sky studio bit a few years back and i thought he was awesome...never invited back tho

i would love to alistair forsyth make it as he won our club open as an amatuer and took the time to come back to troon for the prizegiving and came across as a top bloke.....and he used to sit in front of me at ibrox untill i gave up on footy. thumbsup

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 09 Dec 2011, 7:17 pm

Mary. Have you heard of Chris Lloyd? He is a member at The Kendleshire and also used to be at Tracy Park.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Fri 09 Dec 2011, 7:23 pm

Faldono1fan wrote:Mary. Have you heard of Chris Lloyd? He is a member at The Kendleshire and also used to be at Tracy Park.

I haven't, but just checked with my son and he knows of him.
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 8:46 pm

puligny thumbsup

Mary,
How's your son making out in South Africa? Has their Q-School started yet? Good luck with that, whenever he gets underway.

Talking about John Morgan reminds one that the reason he uses the "E" (presumably) is to distinguish himself from English pro John Morgan who had some success on Senior Tours, here (one of the few from GB&I) and there, before dying tragically early.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 09 Dec 2011, 8:47 pm

You have a few decent players at Cumberwell Park. I once played for TP in a 2nd team match there. The lowest handicap on our team was probably 7 and the HIGHEST on there's was 4! Scratch foursomes.Hiding to nothing springs to mind!

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Fri 09 Dec 2011, 8:49 pm

I remember watching John Morgan at a few European tour events Kwini.Seemed like a nice chap. I think John E Morgan uses the E because he thinks it sounds cool!

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Fri 09 Dec 2011, 8:53 pm

Kiwini - thank you - he's got his tour card for the Sunshine Tour. Finished 14th after 5 rounds. He came home today and is hoping to go back out on 31st Dec.

FF - yes, I think the men's section is quite strong. Some of the 13/14 year old single figure handicappers are quite scarey too.
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 9:23 pm

WOW! Congratulations!! Bubbly You kept that a bit quiet didn't you?!
clap to your son.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 09 Dec 2011, 9:45 pm

Faldono1fan wrote:He was category 8 in 2011 on the back of finishing in the top 117 r2d in 2010. He is 53rd on the career money list. Can't see that he would be exempt for his 2008 ryder cup appearance. He hasn't won a tournament so not really sure where he would sit at the moment. Says on his blog he is using the same status next year.Not sure how that works.
Thinking about it now I think they may have done away with the Ryder Cup Team Member exemption a few years ago when they reviewed all the categories. I can't see it listed in the categories anymore anyway.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 09 Dec 2011, 10:58 pm

Mary. Congratulations to your son I hope he has a great 2012 season. Grumps

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 10 Dec 2011, 8:46 am

Yes well done to your lad Mary, excellent stuff. It doesn't really surprise me that Cumberwell has so many good youngsters with the coaching staff and practice facilities they have.

Regarding Q-school, the Broome Manor boys will be watching out for Sam Matton, although his home club is listed as Bowood he played a lot of his amateur golf at Broome, would be good to see him follow in Howeller's footsteps.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sat 10 Dec 2011, 10:04 am

Thanks for the congrats guys! Smile

The live scoring for Q school appears to have gremlins. Each player has a 2nd round on their scorecard already. Apparently Nick Dougherty was -18 for Round 2, but hasn't started Round 1 yet!
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sat 10 Dec 2011, 10:36 am

Update - scoreboard has been rectified now!
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 10 Dec 2011, 1:29 pm

Mary/Jaz

I see Gary Emerson is having another bash, never thought for one moment that he would make it onto the tour but fair doos to him he had a few decent years.
Gary and Paul Broadhurst can't be too far away from the seniors tour now.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat 10 Dec 2011, 1:44 pm

Not a good first round from Dan Gaunt. Am I correct in thinking there is a cut after four rounds or is it fewer? (I could look but my old laptop is not a big fan of the ET website for some reason and I just closed it down)

He'll be his own letters if he doesn't buck his ideas up!

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sat 10 Dec 2011, 5:38 pm

Doon - I play a lot of my golf at Remedy Oak where Gary Emerson is now based. He has been practicing lots and seems in good nick. I think has 2 or 3 years before qualifies for Seniors so taking every opportunity to keep busy. As you say good luck to him.

Great to see Sam Hutsby make a good start

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sat 10 Dec 2011, 5:41 pm

Mary - great news re your son. Well done to him and here's to more in the future.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 11 Dec 2011, 12:28 pm

Oh dear the West Country boys are doing even worse than the Scots

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 11 Dec 2011, 6:42 pm

Still early days but good to see Sam Hutsby maintaining a bit of form.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sun 11 Dec 2011, 7:05 pm

Cheers Puligny! Smile

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for Lloyd Kennedy, as he's a mate of my sons.

Yes, the West Country boys not doing too well. Crying or Very sad John E Morgan is probably the best placed to make a push.

Not looking good for Nick Dougherty, but he won't have any problem in getting his maximum number of invites next year, so may still be a way back for him.
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 11 Dec 2011, 7:30 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Oh dear the West Country boys are doing even worse than the Scots

Double whammy for us eh Doon Sad ... Must be gutting to get so close then lose a bit of form just when it's needed most. Having said that they can now play with no fear, thinking they're out of it, whereas the ones within touching distance will be having a couple of squeaky bum days.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 11 Dec 2011, 7:38 pm

JAS that is a very good point with so much on the line. Am I right there is a cut after 4 rounds and 2 more for the top 60 or so? Long way to go

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 12 Dec 2011, 9:41 am

Great couple of rounds from Hutsby, really good player, I was surprised to see him lose his card after the start he made when he turned pro.

Walker Cupper Sullivan also playing well, would be good to have some young English players back on tour.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 12 Dec 2011, 11:33 am

I've played with Andy Sullivan before in a Midlands event, very good player I think he shot 66 that day.

I see Dougherty's struggles continue, wonder what he will do next season if he fails to make it through.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:26 pm

Hutsby and Sullivan still lead the way.

Ben Barham making a move today, didn't he have some sort of serious illness that knocked him sideways?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:48 pm

There is a cut after 4 rounds of something like the top 70. If you get through to the final couple of rounds you get some slightly limited status on the full tour.

The guy who gives me lessons, son is playing, Tyrrell Hatton. At only 18 it would be a big achievement. He made it through last week with a closing round of 66. At the moment he is in 116th so quite a bit of work to do in tomorrow's round. Probably needs something like that -6 again.

I was explaining it to my wife over the weekend so we had a look at what sort of money he would win if he got his card and managed to retain it. He would get something like €250k. That was when I realised what a massive deal it was! Hopefully at 18 you don't have too much baggage so don't over think the ramifications.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 12 Dec 2011, 3:59 pm

Yeah I've been keeping my eye on Hatton, he had a pretty good amateur career, needs a low one tomorrow though to make the cut.

Looks like Dougherty's race is run. Phil Archer also.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:10 pm

Looks like I'd better get a postie uniform and bike ready for Mr Gaunt.

Though does anyone know for sure if I'm right in thinking that as he finished between I think 125-150 on the RTD 2011 he'll get a couple of invites for next year?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:15 pm

Hibbz wrote:Looks like I'd better get a postie uniform and bike ready for Mr Gaunt.

Though does anyone know for sure if I'm right in thinking that as he finished between I think 125-150 on the RTD 2011 he'll get a couple of invites for next year?
H
Hibbz

Gaunt will get a cat 12 membership for next season for that, basically one below the q school graduates. He might squeek into some of the low prize money and duel ranking events, but not a lot else. Probably be looking at Challenge Tour mainly, with a few cameos on the main stage.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:24 pm

Thanks Golfwolf.

Guess he'll have to make good use of those! What are his chances of getting into some of the early season ones in South Africa?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:24 pm

One thing to factor in is who has played which course twice. The "leading" player of those that have played the stadium course twice is Jarmo Sandelin who is 3 under and in tied 60th! This would infer that those out in front are likely to come back to the field and visa versa. The trouble is that the back markers will be under pressure to make birdies now.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 12 Dec 2011, 4:28 pm

Hibbz wrote:Thanks Golfwolf.

Guess he'll have to make good use of those! What are his chances of getting into some of the early season ones in South Africa?

He should get into all of the African events without too many problems. The higher exempt players tend to miss these early season events (apart from the SA's themselves). The cat 5 "national order of merit" can push the line down but he should still be comfortably in.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next