The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roland Garros 2013 - The Draw!

+18
ryan86
Silver
break_in_the_fifth
socal1976
laverfan
barrystar
hawkeye
TorturedGenius
lags72
Chydremion
Haddie-nuff
luciusmann
bogbrush
slashermcguirk
HM Murdock
The Special Juan
Jahu
lydian
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Roland Garros 2013 - The Draw! - Page 3 Empty Roland Garros 2013 - The Draw!

Post by lydian Fri 24 May 2013, 5:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Hot off the press - here it is folks!

Likely top 4 seed paths:

1. Djokovic > Goffin > Dodig > Dimitrov > Kohli/Dolgo > Haas/Tipsy > Nadal > FINAL
2. Federer > Qual > Qual > Benneteau > Simon > Tsonga > Ferrer > FINAL
3. Nadal > Brands > Fognini > Paire/Nishi > Wawrinka/Gasquet > Djokovic > FINAL
4. Ferrer > ??? > Granollers > Raonic > Berdy/Almagro > Federer > FINAL

Last edited by lydian on Fri 24 May 2013, 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Roland Garros 2013 - The Draw! - Page 3 Empty Re: Roland Garros 2013 - The Draw!

Post by CAS Fri 24 May 2013, 4:25 pm

Socal in the last two slams hasn't Novak got Ferrer? Dimitrov in the 3rd round could be a great opportunity for him to put the record straight though

CAS

Back to top Go down

Roland Garros 2013 - The Draw! - Page 3 Empty Re: Roland Garros 2013 - The Draw!

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 May 2013, 4:30 pm

Chydremion wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
lydian wrote:
hawkeye wrote:So is everyone happy? Very Happy
Socal wont be happy with the row of banana skins lined up for The Special One.

No I am not happy with the draw he has it tough all the way through. But I am amused at how happy everyone here is for roger's two week Gallic tour de cupcake. I am vicariously happy for all of you. I hope screech can clear out his half for our Swiss Zach Morris. You guys crack me up seriously good stuff. Is roger a Freemason because I am smelling conspiracy. Not just nadal but haas, dimi, and kolby and a tough first round match to boot.

I feel sorry for you Socal. Actually first they had intended to give that cupcake draw to screech, but then they realised it wasn't gluten-free.

I already beat you to that little quip sorry !!!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 24 May 2013, 4:39 pm

CAS wrote:Socal in the last two slams hasn't Novak got Ferrer? Dimitrov in the 3rd round could be a great opportunity for him to put the record straight though

Oh CAS, I am not really that worried about it. If he is playing well enough he can go through this draw like Panzers through the Maginot line, if he isn't playing well he could lose before he ever gets to Nadal. But if he isn't playing like he should as the world #1 he doesnt' deserve it to begin with.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Fri 24 May 2013, 4:40 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
Chydremion wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
lydian wrote:

No I am not happy with the draw he has it tough all the way through. But I am amused at how happy everyone here is for roger's two week Gallic tour de cupcake. I am vicariously happy for all of you. I hope screech can clear out his half for our Swiss Zach Morris. You guys crack me up seriously good stuff. Is roger a Freemason because I am smelling conspiracy. Not just nadal but haas, dimi, and kolby and a tough first round match to boot.

I feel sorry for you Socal. Actually first they had intended to give that cupcake draw to screech, but then they realised it wasn't gluten-free.

Really? Damit.

Quickly removing comment.

Trying to hide shame.

Searching a pit...

Jumping....

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 May 2013, 4:41 pm

Well I think too many chickens are being counted before they are hatched.
As I remember it, and I dont have to have that good a memory, to know that Roger had a cup cake draw in Rome... he never got to eat it though did he ??

This is after all a Grand Slam and I think all posters here have watched enough to know the unforeseen can happen in a GS and most often does. So before everyone gloats too much I think there might be one or two of these egg going spare in the next couple of weeks. I think the tournament is wide open.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 May 2013, 4:42 pm

Chydremion wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
Chydremion wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
lydian wrote:

Really? Damit.

Quickly removing comment.

Trying to hide shame.

Searching a pit...

Jumping....

Erm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 May 2013, 4:55 pm

ryan86 wrote:Just realised my old mate from the Futures, Pablo Carreno-Busta, has drawn Federer in the 1st round.

Carreno-Busta had a very good run at Oeiras (very impressive - losing in SF to eventual champion Wawrinka) and Casablanca. He has beaten Benneteau, so he is someone who should be respected.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 May 2013, 5:04 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Well I think too many chickens are being counted before they are hatched.
As I remember it, and I dont have to have that good a memory, to know that Roger had a cup cake draw in Rome... he never got to eat it though did he ??

This is after all a Grand Slam and I think all posters here have watched enough to know the unforeseen can happen in a GS and most often does. So before everyone gloats too much I think there might be one or two of these egg going spare in the next couple of weeks. I think the tournament is wide open.
Yeah, and he made the final didn't he?

And can you point to any gloating posts? Fed fans are pleased with his draw and socal is taking some digs. That's it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 May 2013, 5:04 pm

laverfan wrote:
ryan86 wrote:Just realised my old mate from the Futures, Pablo Carreno-Busta, has drawn Federer in the 1st round.

Carreno-Busta had a very good run at Oeiras (very impressive - losing in SF to eventual champion Wawrinka) and Casablanca. He has beaten Benneteau, so he is someone who should be respected.
I knew it was a tough draw. mad
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 24 May 2013, 5:18 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Well I think too many chickens are being counted before they are hatched.

And can you point to any gloating posts? Fed fans are pleased with his draw and socal is taking some digs. That's it.

Digs, me? What digs, I am happy everyone else is happy. You judge me too harshly, just trying to get in on all the "Saved By the Bell" humor, I had no idea it was such a popular show in the UK. Maybe the name of the should have been "Saved by the Cupcake" staring a certain Swiss tennis playing version of Zach Morris. Now that would be a show worth watching.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 24 May 2013, 5:27 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
lydian wrote:Federer > Qual > Qual > Benneteau > Simon > Tsonga > Ferrer > FINAL
Has he ever had a nicer draw than that?!

Yup Rome 2013 and he still scummed.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 24 May 2013, 5:30 pm

Pablo is ranked 169 and until recently only played $10k Futures events....watch out Fed!
If he's lucky enough to scrape through that then he's got Devvarman at #156 or Daniel Muñoz de la Nava at #124!
That's not a cupcake, lol, it's a French Fancy!
His practice partners probably put up more resistance, never was "luck of the draw" so apt... Haha.

I knew it...BB, your guy has got a kind of Fognini effect here! He's doomed!

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 May 2013, 5:33 pm

socal1976 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Digs, me? What digs, I am happy everyone else is happy. You judge me too harshly, just trying to get in on all the "Saved By the Bell" humor, I had no idea it was such a popular show in the UK. Maybe the name of the should have been "Saved by the Cupcake" staring a certain Swiss tennis playing version of Zach Morris. Now that would be a show worth watching.
No, no, I mean receiving some digs.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 May 2013, 5:35 pm

lydian wrote:Pablo is ranked 169 and until recently only played $10k Futures events....watch out Fed!
If he's lucky enough to scrape through that then he's got Devvarman at #156 or Daniel Muñoz de la Nava at #124!
That's not a cupcake, lol, it's a French Fancy!
His practice partners probably put up more resistance, never was "luck of the draw" so apt... Haha.

I knew it...BB, your guy has got a kind of Fognini effect here! He's doomed!

Well exactly! How is the guy supposed to play at the end with these byes? We all saw the devastating effect that a day off had on Djokovic in 2011; if the tipsters are right Federer has double the problem!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 24 May 2013, 5:36 pm

Exactly, he's basically got the first week off barring a couple of practice knocks.
His draw is a killer!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 24 May 2013, 5:38 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote: I just hope he's inspired to take it to a 20-18 final set on that delayed semi-final!
I'm laughing at this... but it's a nervous laughter! Wink

From Fed's point of view, I think you are right about Berdych. In fact, there's a decent chance that he may be the SF opponent rather than Ferrer. Berdych is probably the darkest of the dark horses.

If it is Ferrer though, surely he he has to win a match v Fed eventually? Or does expecting a different outcome after 14 in a row of the same, suggest I may be making a descent into madness?

I am pretty confident the Little man will make it to the semi's his commitment to tennis is unmatched, one need to have exception skill , belief, stamina and focus to beat the the little man, Berdych certainly doesn't have them all, the question is will the lady luck shine on Ferrer to make the 1st final and take the cup if Djoko batters Nadal to submission in 20-18 5th set and retire in the finals after the 1st set. censored

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 24 May 2013, 5:40 pm

lydian wrote:I have a feeling Berdy or Almagro will take Ferrer out, if not Raonic before them...partic if damp/lower bouncing.

Only guy who can take Ferrer out before Semi's is Gulbis, and that said nobody including Gulbis knows which version of his gonna turn up.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 24 May 2013, 5:42 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
emancipator wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Looks like someone pinched all the cup cakes Rog Whistle

Well someone had to get Nadal. Apart from Djokovic in the semi, Rafa's draw is hardly scary.

Screech got the toughest draw.

The draw looks somewhat strange without Andy and Delpo.. It looks a bit lopsided but hey I suppose we need to help the "old boy" with an extra cup cake here or there.. Couldn´t give one to screech they are not "gluton" free Wink

laughing The best comment of this thread so far, yea Fed needs better draw than the Rome 2013 to go one step ahead, and he got it, lets hope he makes use of it full.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 May 2013, 5:59 pm

Federer, with a cupcake Rome 2013 draw, did make it to the final, beating JJ and Paire. If JJ (Giraldo, Tsonga, Gasquet) and Paire(Monaco, Benneteau - d Almagro, Del Potro - not very fit though) were a 'cup cake', how come Almagro and Gasquet did not survive?

Making a draw look like a cup cake is easy on paper.

How many here can pick up a racquet and can get into qualies of a slam? Laugh

There are many who lose in first rounds. Is there anyone on this board ranked in ATP between 1000-2000? chin

Armchair critics are a penny-a-score.

@SoCal.. how was your CVAC experience?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 24 May 2013, 6:40 pm

Jiri draws Kohli in the first round. That's a good match to test where his game currently is in relation to a top 20 player.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 24 May 2013, 6:46 pm

bogbrush wrote:
lydian wrote:Federer > Qual > Qual > Benneteau > Simon > Tsonga > Ferrer > FINAL
He'll want Berdych out before the semi for sure.

And in the final he wants Djokovic fresh from the first ever 10 hour Grand Slam semi-final which because of rain delays was played on Saturday.

:strokescat:

I also remember you stroking your cat last year over this same possibility.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 24 May 2013, 6:59 pm

Funny thread.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 May 2013, 7:01 pm

Henman Bill wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
He'll want Berdych out before the semi for sure.

And in the final he wants Djokovic fresh from the first ever 10 hour Grand Slam semi-final which because of rain delays was played on Saturday.

:strokescat:

I also remember you stroking your cat last year over this same possibility.
Really? I mustn't have studied the draw very closely.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 24 May 2013, 7:05 pm

No, I mean you were hoping for this last year months in advance before the draw was even made!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 24 May 2013, 7:07 pm

This year, could it be Nadal's turn to suffer the Fognini effect. He has Fognini in R3...

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 May 2013, 7:15 pm

Henman Bill wrote:No, I mean you were hoping for this last year months in advance before the draw was even made!
Oh right!that doesn't sound like me at all.

Anyway, phase 1 complete. Now I move on to arranging damp, low bouncing conditions.....
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 24 May 2013, 7:34 pm

lydian wrote:I have a feeling Berdy or Almagro will take Ferrer out, if not Raonic before them...partic if damp/lower bouncing.

I guess you said you were in a frivolous Friday mood, but still...

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 24 May 2013, 7:42 pm

Amazing draw for Roger. Of course, when dust settles he may still end up playing against Berdych or Tsonga and losing, or - who knows - may even lose before then, but he certainly could not have asked for much more.

Rafa's draw looks all right - not particularly easy not remarkably difficult.

My first thought on Nole's draw was that it looked hard but on a second thought I am not so sure. He got the easiest QF and who is going to take him out before then? Dimi looks like the only one with at least a glimmer of hope, but even that would seem rather unlikely. Of course, the bad part for him is that he has Rafa in SF, but other than that I do not think his draw is all that bad.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 May 2013, 7:54 pm

Don't forget that outside the top 4 a fit top 3-er shouldn't worry. There is no depth to the game at the moment.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 24 May 2013, 8:00 pm

bogbrush wrote:Don't forget that outside the top 4 a fit top 3-er shouldn't worry. There is no depth to the game at the moment.
True, not much depth, but just wait and - if by chance Roger gets to play Berdych - tell me you will not be worrying then. I know I would.

And please do work on rain and low bounce - you could not have done better than this with the draw. Most likely the RG draw rigging committee - having analyzed Rafa's thrashing of Roger - decided two qualifiers plus Ferrer were what the doctor ordered to give him at least some chance.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 May 2013, 2:00 am

bogbrush wrote:

Well thats your take on it BB it doesn´t surprise me that its at odds with mine

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 25 May 2013, 5:42 am

You're too sensitive. You're seeing what you look for.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 May 2013, 5:47 am

Being sensitive is not a fault BB I would rather that than being insensitive

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 25 May 2013, 6:17 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Fed fans are pleased with his draw and socal is taking some digs. That's it.

Well thats your take on it BB it doesn´t surprise me that its at odds with mine
What other take can you see?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 25 May 2013, 10:44 am

Federer, Ferrer, Raonic in action tomorrow.

Would it not be funny after all our talk here if Roger went out to Carreno-Busta?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 25 May 2013, 10:55 am

I don't know how many guys noticed it, the sem's draw of the top 4 of FO resembled quite the same as Rome for several years, for instance, if PLayer A and Player B are pit on the same side of Rome for the semi's it was much the same in FO semi's as well.

Either its the exact coincidence for last few years or hate to say Rigging Very Happy , and to add further Madrid was almost exact opposite, so based on Madrid and Rome draw FO draw is predictable. I wanted Rafa- Novak showdown before finals and once I saw the Madrid draw I was pretty sure its gonna be the case in FO. censored

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 May 2013, 11:06 am

summerblues wrote:Federer, Ferrer, Raonic in action tomorrow.

Would it not be funny after all our talk here if Roger went out to Carreno-Busta?

Exactly the point Ive been trying to make .. ANYTHING can happen and often does Wink No one is invincible in a
GS

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 25 May 2013, 11:57 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
summerblues wrote:Federer, Ferrer, Raonic in action tomorrow.

Exactly the point Ive been trying to make .. ANYTHING can happen and often does Wink No one is invincible in a
GS

Certainly not this RF censored

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 25 May 2013, 1:08 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Exactly the point Ive been trying to make .. ANYTHING can happen and often does Wink No one is invincible in a
GS
Yes, sometimes fans get carried away and make bold claims but I did not think we had much of it on this thread. People were mostly commenting on how easy Roger's draw was - and any suggestions on how he should now make the final were more to emphasize the ease of the draw rather than to actually claim he cannot slip beforehand.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 25 May 2013, 1:14 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Being sensitive is not a fault BB I would rather that than being insensitive
False choice. I said too sensitive, leading to seeing problems that aren't there.

Take me; nobody would accuse me of being insensitive but I balance my caring with a studied disdain of other people's neediness. Result: able to form relationships easily but without the problem of getting dragged into other people's problems!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 May 2013, 1:38 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Being sensitive is not a fault BB I would rather that than being insensitive
False choice. I said too sensitive, leading to seeing problems that aren't there.

Take me; nobody would accuse me of being insensitive but I balance my caring with a studied disdain of other people's neediness. Result: able to form relationships easily but without the problem of getting dragged into other people's problems!

This quite ridiculous conversation.. has come from me merely saying that I don´t see things the same way as you BB. That does not necessarily make me over sensitive.. people are allowed to contradict you I take it.? Or is there somewhere in the house rules that says otherwise.

Take you (do I have to) thanks for that lengthy self righteous appraisal .. which I do not consider to be a recommendation but others may well find it of interest.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 25 May 2013, 1:45 pm

bogbrush wrote:

Oh bogbrush! You are so macho. Even your name is macho.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 25 May 2013, 4:16 pm

hawkeye wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Oh bogbrush! You are so macho. Even your name is macho.
Steady now girls! Cool
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3